Jackett "won't walk away" if Millwall are relegated at Derby

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

KENNY Jackett says he will be Millwall manager next season whatever happens – even if the club are relegated on the final day of the Championship season this weekend.

A draw against Derby County on Saturday would be enough to keep the Lions in the second tier for a third consecutive campaign but Jackett insists he will remain in charge if worst comes to worst.

Jackett told NewsAtDen: "Leaving and walking away isn't something that I'm going to consider. I will be here. None of my focus is on the summer yet, we have enough time to think about that."

The Rams, who having nothing to play for, would appear to be the ideal opponents for a final-day decider, but Jackett says Millwall cannot afford to take anything for granted.

"If you get into a mindset where you are hoping that the opposition do you a favour by putting in a half-hearted performance, you'll end up on your backside," he said.

"You can't set out as a manager to draw a game. You have to try to win and if you get a draw a long the way, fine. Being tight away from home is part of the winning equation anyway.

"A lot of things about Tuesday's performance against Crystal Palace were right. We have to continue in that vein. We can't have a Huddersfield performance and we've talked about that."

55 thoughts on “Jackett "won't walk away" if Millwall are relegated at Derby

• May 2, 2013 at 11:30

I expected no less from soeone who has proven himself to be geniune and forthright in his opinions. Yes he has made mistakes this seasn and he will look back on it as a poor one by his standards, but, he can bring us back and I fully believe he will. Stability int he club is key to success, good to see that the majority of fans and the board have held their nerve and stood by KJ, when they could have lashed out and made short term decision that would have hurt the club long term.

• May 2, 2013 at 11:32

Best news we have had in a long time, I know some of you think its time for a change, l think he will have learnt a lot from this season, and l know he seems to make some strange decisions. But ask any football fan anywhere in the country, and they will say exactly the same about there manager. I dont think we are that far away from a good side, a couple in midfield and a new forward line, but its not easy, good players want good money, players familys are a concern, schools etc. Lets see what happens , Jacket is Millwall !

• May 2, 2013 at 11:43

Well said glyngo and sups, agree with everything you've both said.

• May 2, 2013 at 11:59

This is possibly the best news ive heard all season, I do think things may have got to him a little with the hulse and tyson saga, after all it was his decision to bring them in, one bad season out of 5 is not bad at all considering where we was when he first took over, were only a few points off of what we finished on last season so no improvement is better then falling down again, kenny has established us in this league and its just about finding the right players, to play in the right positions, from what ive seen this is going to be an exciting summer as we will have to replace the likes of nguessan and all the loanees, if kenny left us we be up s*** creek without a paddle, everyones said about how he can't take us further than we are now but at the beginning of the season we was fourth and challenging for the play offs and everyone loved him, and when things dont turn out everyones turns on him, yes its fustrating but its football, IN KENNY I WILL ALWAYS TRUST

• May 2, 2013 at 12:03

THERES ONLY ONE KENNY JACKETT

• May 2, 2013 at 12:11

Once we are 100% safe on Saturday we need the Chairman to make his intentions clear for next season. He has committed to an £8.5m investment in the club over the next three years, but we need to know what our football targets are for 2013/14. If it is Championship survival with a flirt with the play offs then the fans expectations for KJ should be the same. This is a lot fairer on KJ than the unrealistic expectation created by our brief visit to the top six this season. One thing is for sure, if KJ doesn't sort out our home form he is on borrowed time as this would be the downfall for any manager. Once performances start having a consistent impact on crowd numbers and therefore revenue there is only the exit door for the manager.

• May 2, 2013 at 13:09

@lion.ie:

I think the target for next season should reflect the reailty of our disposal resources and the league overall: Safety with anything else a bonus.

• May 2, 2013 at 13:19

@lion.ie: Poor home performances have had a negative impact on attendances, but I still think the club hasn't been doing enough in recent years to pull in the fans - especially re-attracting the people who've moved away from the area.

It's never going to be easy at a club like Millwall and I'm glad Kenny is staying, but behind the scenes I seriously doubt with Ambler and Co are up to the job.

• May 2, 2013 at 12:16

From that statement it must be assumed that Berylson has already assured him of his position.

• May 2, 2013 at 20:42

@NICKOLA: From JB previous comments it was never in doubt.

• May 2, 2013 at 12:18

considering the money we have his the best manager in the division maybe with an expection of one or two managers but all have greater funding then us

• May 2, 2013 at 13:03

Not what he told me in the Priory.................think Peterborough will win,Barnsley draw and......Sheff W to draw,sorry to say,we will loose. Hudders not sure about. Cannot see where a goal will come from, let me be wrong,as we all know Derby have no nerves for last game and that is when you can play the best football, have got to stay up , can't stand it in here..........Jackett moaning in my ear all day.........

• May 2, 2013 at 14:02

Judging by your predictions we're safe then. Barnsley are playing Huddersfield.

• May 2, 2013 at 13:07

I don't think he'd be under any pressure to resign anyway.

Although he'd admit to some mistakes (Hulse being the obvious one) beyond them there is no reason for Kenny's job to be under threat. If we do get relegated on Saturday I have 100% confidence that he is the right man to take us back up.

ONE KENNY JACKETT

• May 2, 2013 at 13:10

Secure our championship status first,then give kj the chance to rebuild the squad. He's had to put a squad together on peanuts in the past I reckon he deserves the opportunity to show us what he can do with a bit of financial support...

• May 2, 2013 at 13:17

Good to see Wright getting a chance, I'm not saying his is top-class but currently he is the nly fit midfielder in our squad who can pick a pass. 451 formation on Saturday and nick it 2:1, Sean Batt to secure his name as a Millwall hero with the winner, Come On Battman!

• May 2, 2013 at 13:21

As i've said many times before, he is the best manager the lions have had in most of our lifetimes. He knows how bad it has been and I believe he understands our frustration. The only way is up.
    Oh and for info, if we stay up it will be our fourth campaign not our third!

• May 2, 2013 at 17:17

@Alex Aldridge: no Alex you got it wrong mate it will be our 4 th season in a row and KJ has been trying to keep us us for the last 3 and will be again next season which will be our 4th season in a row .....consecutive

• May 2, 2013 at 17:43

@Lincolnshire Lion: Next year will be our fourth season in the Championship (hopefully). This is currently our third so a result on Saturday will lead to a fourth...but this would be the third year in a row we've stayed up. You can read it either way!

• May 2, 2013 at 13:27

We have had a great 5 years under Kenny saving us fron league 2 back to back play off Finals, fa cup semi final.
    But since the turn of the year he has lost the plot, team selection has been shocking, loan signings very very poor and our home is that of a team who are bottom of the league.

I think Kenny has taken us as far as he can and we need some fresh blood in to take us to the next level otherwise just like when Rhino was in charge we had a good squad then but were loosing our way in comes Mark McGhee and the rest was history. we will be in another relegation battle next season if we keep KJ just like with McGhee a change can be for the best.

• May 2, 2013 at 13:45

I see your point GL, but I think we have been spoilt by having had a good manager for so long that we think there are plenty of good options out there. I meet your Mark McGhee with Nigel Spackman.......he spent a lot of money and rebuilt a squad he did not udnerstand in one Summer, the rest is history. @golden lion:

• May 2, 2013 at 13:54

Totally agree, the two main reasons for this season's slump have been the loss of Wood and injuries to key players such as Taylor and Henry. I can understand why some fans will feel frustrated and the manager is the obvious one to look to when things are going wrong but not on this occasion. If the worst does happen on Saturday at Derby (and let's face it, we'd have to be very unlucky even by our standards to go down) then the best way to make a quick comeback is with KJ in charge.

• May 3, 2013 at 16:18

@mervpayne:
      Am I right in thinking that all three of those below us need to win. Cant see that happening but worth a fiver just in case. Then if it does happen you would have a few bob in your pocket.

• May 2, 2013 at 14:56

All good positive points and if there is one thing to take away from this very strange season it is this, treat the loan market with respect because when you mistreat it, it will bite very hard.

• May 2, 2013 at 15:20

I'm ashamed to say My faith in KJ wobbled a bit last week but after the palarse game I'm firmly back behind him. I think privately he knows the transfers and loans haven't all turned out as he'd hoped, Chaplow and Afobe were major bad luck stories and if not for their injuries they would have been great acquisitions compared to the other lot. I firmly believe we'd be six points further up the table with those two playing.
    I also believe he would have learned a lot from this season in terms of our playing style and the manpower he needs to operate in this league. All we need now is for the board to be bold enough to invest in the team to make us a solid top 10 outfit. In KJ I trust!

• May 2, 2013 at 16:00

It seems a bit odd for KJ to say he will be here whatever happens next season. I think JB and the board may have a say in that, they may feel it is time for a change. In my humble opinion, if we do get relegated, which I do not think we will, he would be the best man to get us back. If we dont, then the thing that really bothers me about KJ is the fact that, he seems to have taken none of the blame for our terrible form since Xmas, everything has been someones elses fault, bad official decisions, weak defending, poor mid field, non scoring strikers. All of these were his decisions, the players, the tactics etc. The only time he admitted to an error was subbing Batt to early. If he is to stay next season, he will have to be given money to vastly improve the team, so he can really show what he can do. Otherwise I see nothing but a repeat of this drama at the end of next season and then it will be time to say goodbye.

• May 2, 2013 at 16:05

Yep, that would be fair, another season like this would not be acceptable.

• May 2, 2013 at 16:31

Some of what has gone wrong this season has been down to mistakes by KJ (Hulse, Tyson and there have been some very odd team selections) but he wouldn't be right to admit those mistakes at this stage in the season. If he did it would undermine his authority and leadership at a crucial point. I am sure he knows where he has gone wrong. I do agree with others that say we have been unlucky this season with Afobe and Chaplow's injuries and Henry and Taylor being out for long stretches. But we were also lucky to get Wood in for the time we had him. It's a shame he didn't sign for us but we would have been relegated weeks ago if we hadn't had him scoring those goals in the first part of the season. I think KJ will look back, learn and put together a good squad for next season.

• May 2, 2013 at 17:01

Wood will also be looking forward to coming back to the Den when we will all let him know just how understanding we are about his decision.......

• May 2, 2013 at 17:15

My view is if we get relegated we should keep Kenny J and if we stay up move him on to a different club. I haven't been to see Millwall in a long time. I don't like the way he sets up.

• May 2, 2013 at 17:20

@Sidcup_Lad: that's a daft reason get a grip ......do what all the regulars do and let him know to his face

• May 2, 2013 at 17:20

Boring negative football at home with a team that loses more games than it wins.Two seasons running and Kenny Jackett hasn't addressed the lack of goals.

We're good defensively which fits with his character - stubborn and cautious.

Add to the above aggressive stewarding, aggressive over policing and awful catering and it's not much of a fun day at Millwall - certainly not something that will draw the crowds - quite the reverse in fact as ours are dropping at a time when others are increasing. There's a reson for that, or in the case of Milwall FC many reasons.

The reason I want KJ to stay is because he's a decent honest man who represents this club well to the media (unlike our Chief Executive) and who has brought the club some success. He deserves the chance to take the club that little bit further but I think he needs to show next season that he's grown as a manager and has learnt by his (many)errors)

• May 2, 2013 at 17:37

@Old_Les:

Your obsession with the standard of stewarding at The Den is pathetic. We get away with far more than any other team in the country (Kenny even encouraged this post Middleborough 09/10 when the bottles were thrown) but we have clearly defined lines that can not be crossed. The vast majority of us do not want to hear excessive racisim or witness idiots fighting or throwing bottles/coins. You are in a minority who, because of how loud they shout about it on messageboards or because they are bullying in their manner, have led themselves to believe that the vast majority of Millwall fans are like-minded. Let me tell you this with full confidence: we're not.

• May 2, 2013 at 18:34

@SE16 Wall:

How do you know what we get away with compared to other clubs? Do you go on a regular basis to witness this? So please explain that.
        Where and when exactly, in your great knowledge of me, have I ever said racism, fighting, chucking coins is what I support or want to see. Come on show me where I've ever said that - on here or any other message board.
        Show me also where I've ever bullied anyone, physically in person or mentally.
        Let me tell you with full confidence you're talking out of your a*** with not a scrap of evidence to support your argument save your own delusion about someone else's "obsession."

• May 2, 2013 at 22:36

@Old_Les:

Find one post where you have condemned them...

You approve of their behaviour and anyone familar with your posts on varius messageboards will attest to that fact.

• May 2, 2013 at 22:44

@SE16 Wall:
            Unlike you I don't jump on the Sun style bandwagon of condemning anyone before I know the full facts,

O refer you to my previous answer to your un evidenced statements and again ask you to produce facts, not heresay, to back it up.

• May 2, 2013 at 22:58

@Old Les:

I have attended a number of games not involving Millwall and have had many non-supporting Millwall friends attend our matches with me. I have seen people being thrown out at Charlton for using the "C" Word; thrown out at The Emeriates for using "excessive gestruring to away fans" and someone thrown out at an England match for running to the front of the stand to criticise the linesman... My friends are also amazed at what we get up to at The Den.

As for the rest of your self-denial, you do realise that people remember posters, don't you? Well, your reputation is of someone who thinks The Den should be a place where people can do and say what they want. You stand up, without fail, for the perpretators of any misdeamoner committed and have never ever condemned those who bring shame to our club choosing, instead, to lay the blame at Stewards, caterers and Andy Ambler for any faliure to attract new and old supporters to our matches.

If I am wrong please feel free to share a link to any post you have made where you have condemmed the idiots without any reservations...

I won't hold my breath.

• May 4, 2013 at 08:14

@Old_Les:

Les, why don't you put the record straight? simply and straightforwardly

Will you condemn the type of people whom SE Wall is referring to? Yes or No

• May 2, 2013 at 22:33

@Old_Les: You are obviously an articulate man, but I have to say, I disagree with most of your posts. Whilst I would agree that your posts are not overtly aggressive and whilst you might not indulge in fighting, chucking coins or racist behaviour, you appear to be an apologist for the type of 'supporter' who has been attracted by the perception of Millwall fans put forward by the gutter press that you so rightly decry. They, like the press don't understand what Millwall is about at all and continue to hold the club back. How you can think that our crowds are low because of aggressive stewarding and poor catering? It is because of the very creatures that you seem to defend, on this and other sites, who attend our matches who put people off attending on a regular basis. I do agree with you that KJ is a thoroughly decent man and a good manager.

• May 2, 2013 at 22:53

@Adsy77777:

Selective reading again though not as blinkered as the other one.

Where did I say any one thing, or several things however insignificant were the sole cause of low crowds.

It is a combination of many things.

I am an apologist for nothing and no one and you would do well to stop pinning labels like "creatures" on people you cannot possibly know and without knowledge of the cause of what you define as unacceptable. You seem quite happy to accept the word of those that hate Millwall FC and its fans

• May 2, 2013 at 23:03

@Old_Les:

"I am an apologist for nothing and no one and you would do well to stop pinning labels like "creatures" on people you cannot possibly know and without knowledge of the cause of what you define as unacceptable."

So those who shamed our name in Luton can't be criticised? How about those at the Birmingham riot? Ipswich? How about those who threw bottles on the pitch aganst a number of oppositions? How about the thugs fighting at Wembley who even went on to make up lies about some girl being pushed over when all Youtube videos prove this to be incorrect?

You are an apologist pure and simple and only because some of these idiots are friends of either you or your son.

• May 2, 2013 at 19:20

So KJ said approaching a game looking for a draw or relying on the opposition could land you on your backside, it seems that KJ recent team selection confirms this is exactly what he has been doing,playing one man up front ,turning up at the semi final with a team that defo landed on its A*** and proceeding to continue the same for our remaining fixtures and playing loan player donkeys week on week.
    Sorry KJ that's a poor view on what's been going on and you know it,the buck stops with you so poor reflection on you, as far as getting a result at Derby il be very surprised the players will be up to it.
    We all hope Wall get the result but the more likely scenario will be waiting with baited breath on the other results as we have done for so many weeks now.

• May 2, 2013 at 20:35

with the way kj sorted danny n guess who , out he went right up in my eyes ,
    but if we stay up , i feel he should add or change some new coaching staff , because if you look how fordey game has improved since kp and taylor coaching him ,
    i feel if they brought someone fresh in to help with new ideas , harris would be great he would lift the club and show the strikers how to find the net .

• May 2, 2013 at 23:35

Great shout mate, there are plenty of recently/ soon to be retired, high profile players who are trying to move into coaching and doing their badges etc. Phil Neville for example...
      Before anyone jumps on me, he's just an example.

• May 2, 2013 at 23:15

SE 16 - how long did it take you to invent that? How many people have you discussed me with? Your summation of my reputation I'm sure is yours alone rather than a collective though you may have asked your cat.

There's been far worse things at many grounds other than ours very recently and in the past, and while two wrongs don't make a right, it is all swept under the carpet. So if it is forgettable behaviour elsewhere then justice would dictate it should be the same for Millwall.

I daresay I have never condemned any of our fans because I have never had need to. But that isn't the question and you still haven't answered mine because you cannot. I'll ask you to for a third time and add another - try and find somewhere where I have condoned bad behaviour. Also still waiting for an answer to your racist jibe against me.

Are you a club stooge?

• May 3, 2013 at 01:11

@Old_Les:

"daresay I have never condemned any of our fans because I have never had need to."

No, of course not. Those who rioted at Luton were to be commended, not condemmned, likewise the idiots who almost ruined one of the best nights ever at The New Den against Villa by throwing bottles. Great, working-class, salt of the Earth chaps (what a shame that Wigan are followed almost exclusivly by working class and don't attract the same morons thus blowing your pathetic arguement out of the water).

As for the accusations of "inventing" things,, nope, not me. Don't need to make up rubbish to make idiots look stupid.

• May 3, 2013 at 10:30

@SE16 Wall:

Ref you second last paragraph I note you have now resorted to untruth.

So when it comes to making up rubbish you excel.

I ask again for evidence (not something that exists only in your mind) of my racist views according to the gospel of SE16Wall. I daresay those that know me, unlike you, would state quite the opposite.

I also ask again for some evidence (again not something made up in your head) where I have encouraged bottle throwing,, coin chucking fighting etc etc.

And I quote you below and ask what has it got to do with anything I've said. It's your statement not mine.
        "N of course not. Those who rioted at Luton were to be commended, not condemmned, likewise the idiots who almost ruined one of the best nights ever at The New Den against Villa by throwing bottles. Great, working-class, salt of the Earth chaps (what a shame that Wigan are followed almost exclusivly by working class and don't attract the same morons thus blowing your pathetic arguement out of the water)."
        You sound like one of those rather middleclass wannabee working class that now infest the Labour Party and pin labels on anybody that doesn't agree with their twisted view of l;ife and they go through it looking for offence in anything.

• May 3, 2013 at 11:27

@Old_Les:

If you re-read what I said I never, at one point, insinuate/state as fact/imply that you have racist views. Only tha tyou have a reputation for saying The Den should be a place where people can do and say as they want.

This is boring now and I refuse to engage in any further dialogue with you unless you can post any link to a post made by you on any messageboard where you clearly condemm the actions of idiots who have attached themselves to Millwall Football Club or explain what yoiu you would like you or your friends to be able to do that those nasty stewards aren't letting you.

• May 3, 2013 at 11:55

@SE16 Wall:

Here's something you said "As for the racist jibe, it wasn't but a statement of fact that after the "baldy" incident refused to condem him and made it blatently clear that he should not have been banned." By insinuation you say I support the person in question and his actions. Totally untrue and very selective reading by you because I recall that internet conversation very clearly.

Who is my reputation with y the way? Have you taken a poll? I think my reputation on HOF was quite high (according to those points things other posters give though I freely admit to a few red cards which was probably all from you with your warped ideas)
            Claiming boredom and refusing dialogue is the last refuge of someone losing the debate.
            I tend to condemn no one on a message board (least of all Millwall fans in the context of anything Millwall) very much in the same way as I do not condone certain actions. That is unless I have clear evidence and personal knowledge whereas you are the typical knee jerk sycophant.
            As far as stewards are concerned perhaps you would like me to relate my partners one and only experience at Millwall which is both steward.

• May 3, 2013 at 15:45

Blimey chaps, can one remind me of the original topic of conversation!

• May 3, 2013 at 13:32

I have always loved jacket but its been obvious for mths he has lost the plot, I don't get how many people if they actually go to games and see the team/formations he has been picking can still sing his praises jacket we trust etc etc, its not a slight wobble its been a long period of time he makes same excuses and mistakes, it pains me to say it because ive always backed jacket but there is no doubt we now need a change, if kj thinks the likes of batt and marquis are good enough to lead the millwall line then he must be on drugs, batt might work hard but it doesn't make him a footballer, he is league 2 standard at best and going to games with him starting up front you feel like we aint gonna score before the game even starts, palace another example of that, sorry kj but ive had enough and wish u would go and take batt , marquis woolford and jack smith with you! sorry

• May 3, 2013 at 15:42

@millwall0501: So bored with these lazy posts, it's just moaning for the sake of moaning. There is a doubt that we need a change that's why lots of fans don't want to lose KJ.

• May 3, 2013 at 16:35

I don't think KJ thinks that his front line is satisfactory either, but situation being what it is he has to work with the players available to him. KJ deserves the chance to rebuild, he has made some eceptional signings in past years..Trotter, Lowry, Forde, Abdou, Wood, Shittu, Beevers, Henry, Morrison etc... but this year he has been unlucky with some injuries and also made some dodgy signings in the loan market. Generally, I think his account with us is in credit and he deserves our loyalty for AT LEAST anothr season so he can rebuild and make of for this season which has seen us take a step backwards. @millwall0501: