Millwall skipper Shittu named fans' Player of the Year

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

DANNY Shittu has been named as Millwall's Player of the Year 2012-13 after receiving 44% of supporters' votes.

Shittu had been the clear favourite to win the award and did so by a landslide ahead of David Forde (23%) and James Henry (12%), who came second and third respectively.

After receiving his trophy, Shittu told the club's official site: "I am truly honoured. When you hear the way people talk about you, despite only playing a few games for the club, it means so much.

"To know that you can work hard to achieve what you want at a club, and to have people who pay to watch you and appreciate what you do in support, is so important for a footballer."

Shittu also scooped the Junior Lions Player of the Year award – whilst 16-year-old midfielder Fred Onyedinma was crowned Schoolboy of the Year.

19 thoughts on “Millwall skipper Shittu named fans' Player of the Year

• May 1, 2013 at 12:55

Dan the man lead by example and showed the Millwall spirit. A couple of silly bookings could have cost us but overall a great effort, well done.

• May 1, 2013 at 13:32

Shout out for Fordey as well, one of the best keepers in the Division this year, keep him close in the summer KJ.

• May 1, 2013 at 14:10

Well earnt shittu. And unlucky fordey - my player of the yr but the day belongs to the shittu
    Well done wee man.

• May 1, 2013 at 14:18

Why has my post been starred.
      I wasn't swearing.
      And is calling someone a p**** swearing? As I've noticed a lot of posts have been starred except the word p****.

• May 1, 2013 at 14:58

@lukesmithmfc: It shouldn't have been. Having a few teething problems with the filter but 'Shittu' should not get starred in future. I don't want NewsAtDen to become like HOF and we've had complaints about the language, which is why we've brought it in.

• May 1, 2013 at 15:06

I love this site mr Aldridge, and do not use any other. I understand starring the swearing but all swearing should be starred not the obvious words.
          Good luck with the teething, I hope it don't keep you up all night ; )
          Thanks for your reply.

• May 1, 2013 at 16:25

Great team that shorpe seen em a few times ; )

• May 1, 2013 at 16:59

Mr ALDRIDGE I'm glad you've solved the issue but now You're making me look silly. I can do that by myself.
            Cheers.

• May 1, 2013 at 15:14

@Alex Aldridge:

Aldo,

I posted on the match thread and my comment was held back to be "moderated"... Did I say anything wrong on there? Let me know and I'll not make the same mistake!

• May 1, 2013 at 14:43

Fantastic player this season and fast on his way to becoming a Millwall legend.

• May 1, 2013 at 16:50

Let's hope he signs a new contract and and doesn't walk on on the club a free agent if we get relegated!!!

• May 1, 2013 at 19:43

'king ell.
    Well done Shittu!

• May 1, 2013 at 20:33

I voted for n'guessan...........

• May 1, 2013 at 21:15

Shittu is good but I've seen him get pulled out of position a good few times in the games I've seen and I don't rate him as much as as others do, but in a season like this I can understand why he won the vote, at least he has the right attitude. Fordey has been awesome this season and has been recognised as Ireland's best keeper. His profile over here has shot up and I'd be worried that he is on a couple of summer shopping lists......

• May 1, 2013 at 21:58

Lion, We need another keeper whatever happens. Taylor's contract is up in June this year and I don't think he'll be retained due to his age. He's an adequate back-up and thoroughly professional but we do need a new face to keep Forde on his toes.
    Forde has improved this year and the fact that he's now Ireland's number one will attract a lot of clubs. If he goes, he goes. Millwall have always had very good keepers.
    My interest is in the midfield and attack where some major 'outs' and 'ins' need to be made. By that, I mean a major culling. I think we'd all agree on that.

• May 2, 2013 at 12:00

@NICKOLA: I'd like to see new players in all areas, the forward line has to be the priority, we all know that, but I think we're thin on defence as well if we have a couple of serious injuries and if Kenny ever plays Osborne at full back again like he did at 'Boro I might just join your KJ out brigade. If we can get Chaplow or similar and keep a back to form Trotter I don't think we're too bad in midfield. But I've only seen a handful of games on TV so bow to the player knowledge of those of you who go week in week out!

• May 2, 2013 at 13:13

Your right about players needed in all areas lion. But our midfield is a shocker it's so unorganised no one knows where they are or what they're doing. We need two center mids of champship quality a decent left winger - think Taylor is quality but will be injured a lot.
        We need a left back to cover Lowry as we miss beevers in the middle. We need a cb to cover beevers and shittu.
        We need a right back to cover dunne.
        We need decent cover for fordey.
        And we probably need two decent strikers. That's just the playing side.
        Behind the scenes I think we need a couple more scouts. A couple experienced champship coaches. And that should see us sweat. God knows how much that lot will cost. Hopefully a few free transfers and a couple loans.
        If we go down then a complete overhaul will be needed.
        Can't see the quality wanting to come to us unless we show done real genuine ambition cause I reckon next season will be harder than this one.