Crystal Palace game is must-win for Millwall, says Jackett

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett says Millwall must "get the job done" against Crystal Palace on Tuesday – or face going into the final day of the season needing a result to stay up.

The Lions have blown a series of chances in recent weeks to confirm their Championship status for next year and will be in serious danger of relegation if they do not beat the Eagles at The Den.

Victory would move Jackett's side onto 58 points, out of reach of Peterborough and Barnsley below them in the table, and render Saturday's trip to Derby County meaningless.

Jackett told NewsAtDen: "If we go into the last day needing something we will do what's needed, but it's very, very important that we do get the job done on Tuesday.

"Palace are not on a great run but with two games left they're in a play-off place, which constitutes a good season. The way they've handled the Wilfried Zaha situation has been excellent really.

"To be able to sell him and then keep him for the rest of the season and potentially finish off what is a crucial opportunity for them was a fantastic bit of business.

"He has obviously got a lot going for him as does Glenn Murray, who is another key player for them. Is it a good time to be playing them? Well, first off we need to play better ourselves.

"Our own performance, as much as analysing the opposition, is of paramount importance. I won't disregard the other side's strengths but at this level everyone has their strengths.

"We have to focus on ourselves. I don't think there will be many changes from the Forest game – we have Danny Shittu and Shane Lowry back from suspension but otherwise it'll be the same group."

Whilst Jackett says he has been conscious of securing safety throughout the season, he concedes it has come as a surprise that the Lions are not already safe with 55 points.

"I could see, with the build up of games and, to a degree, a focus on the FA Cup, a tough end to the season for us," he said. "But like buy lexapro cheap online many, I couldn't see the points total to stay up being so high.

"We've been thinking about staying up all season – you would be foolish not to look at the table and see how many points you need. Even when we were fifth, 50 points was one of our targets.

"It is what it is and we have a big week ahead of us. The good thing from our point of view is that we have two games and the opportunity to do something about it. We're not relying on other people.

"At some stage, many sides in this division go on long runs when they are not able to win games – look at Middlesbrough. Teams can go game after game after game losing by the odd goal.

"It's a very thin dividing line between our position at the moment, where if things don't go for us we could be in trouble in terms of relegation, and being around the play-offs with a few more wins.

"It's a very close division. But the main thing for us is focusing on ourselves and this London derby – it's a key game for both clubs and it will be a great occasion."

Millwall have lost 11 league matches at home this season and the atmosphere at The Den has been understandably subdued – and Jackett says it is down to his players to change that.

He said: "People have asked me about the crowd and it has been flat in the last few games but that is our responsibility. It's not the crowd leading the players, it's the players leading the crowd.

"It's been flat because of our performances. We have to lift the atmosphere. Naturally there will be a bit more noise for a London derby which will help us, there's no doubt about that.

"In terms of our football and our combinations of play, they have to be a lot better. Against Forest, if we think that we can hit long, high balls at Collins and Ward, with Guedioura in front, it'll be tough.

"There has to be variation. In this division, people have 6ft 4in centre-backs and they'll eat it up."

20 thoughts on “Crystal Palace game is must-win for Millwall, says Jackett

• April 30, 2013 at 10:42

COYL. Get the 3pts. We need everybody to give100%
    Players and fans alike.

• April 30, 2013 at 11:04

@malcolm03:

"Get the job done" - sounds exactly like one of our useless politicians or is it a phrase suggested by Aldi in the interview.

Either way there's been plenty of chances to "get the job done" - a single win from one of our 11 defeats at home would have helped somewhat.

Have no confidence whatsoever about tonight because I don't have a clue where our goal threat or midfield creativity is coming from.

I just pray for one of those nights where the team puts in a superhuman effort all over the pitch, gets in the way of everything aimed at our goal and risk life and limb in getting the winner as in for e.g. - a last minute 1 - 0 victory for Millwall with a goal that goes into the Palace net of Alan Dunne's soon to be very painful b*******

• April 30, 2013 at 11:06

@Old_Les:

I meant "off Alan Dunne's b*******" - why no f****** edit button - Lord knows the semi literates on here need one

• April 30, 2013 at 11:14

You are correct. We should not be in this mess. We lack an out and out striker. Etc. We still need 3pts.

• April 30, 2013 at 11:17

Hopefully tiredness and our poor home record will go out of the window tonight.

This is the biggest game of the season by far - possibly since we came back up to the Championship. We need something out of the game (because we can't rely on anything at Derby) and we're playing local rivals too. Despite all the dross we've been served up, I reckon the crowd will be up for it - it's now down to Kenny and the players to show they are to.

• April 30, 2013 at 11:46

We all know how this ends.

• April 30, 2013 at 15:05

How?

• April 30, 2013 at 11:47

Ifs and maybe ain't no good, COYL lets get a win give everyone except us the hump COYL

• April 30, 2013 at 11:59

For what my opinion is worth I still think if Trotts is fit, to play him up front, f*ck it. I just think he has far more presence and touch and control than those who have been up front so far this season. At least the boy can score a goal or 2. He can at least hold the ball up, lay the ball off. He can shoot, he is strong. His attitude has been questionable, let's be honest, but if his workrate is in question, then a 'midfield dynamo' he is not. So use the boy up front, see what happens. He CAN score! With one of our other 'strikers' playing off him, it can work. I'd like to see it tonight. COYL!!!!!!!!

• April 30, 2013 at 12:51

Forde
    dunne shittu beevers Lowry
    Abdou st ledge
    Henry Tyson
    Trotter
    Keoghe

• April 30, 2013 at 13:03

@lukesmithmfc: After everything that has happened in the last few months, I just could not hear myself say, play Trotter, but I agree, if he is fit play him up front.. Not too sure about Tyson after Saturday, I think Feeney to give us width. Batt did a good job of holding things up, problem was he had a job holding himself up. Who knows, but who ever plays, nothing less than death will be accepted as an excuse for not giving 100%.

• April 30, 2013 at 13:13

Against BR feeney IMO was our best player. He didnt start against Forrest. But I wouldn't start him against palace either also I wouldn't put him out left he's a right mid all day. Batt I wouldn't start cause he offers too much coming off the bench and IMO is the only player who can make any impact in the last 20/30 mins. If he starts we will not get more than 65 mins out of him, he burns himself out and can't get a second wind. I have been impressed with him and feeney but that's out of the window tonight it's about one game we need to win so I'd have a decent option coming off the bench. I don't like Tyson but who else he's here and fit and we can't play Easter. Trotter if fit I'd start behind keoghe cause they're used to each other. I think it will be 4231

• April 30, 2013 at 12:58

Luke, agree with almost all except Henry. Love the fella, but think he has been awful of late. Feeney has been a threat on the R/flank and I would leave him there, even his throw ins were good! Also Tyson, really? Not in my 11, but each to their own, eh? Such is the beauty of opinion. Whatever the weather, we need some damn goals, and I think Trotts could redeem himself. Here's to 3 pts tonight then enjoy a day out at Derby.

• April 30, 2013 at 13:04

Haha, this is exactly what I wanted marsh, debate on the line up.
      Above isn't my preffered choice it's simply a line up open to discussion.

Marsh try naming yours with what we have available and/or try second guessing KJ which I've done above.

• April 30, 2013 at 13:35

I agree with you Smithy with the exception of Feeney instead of Tyson. COYL

• April 30, 2013 at 13:55

Any other day I would start with feeney way above Tyson it's just I think KJ will start him, he's not good enough off the bench and the substitutions are massive tonight for both teams. Feeney has enough in his locker to come on and whip a couple crosses over and as mentioned above he has a decent throw on him which will be more useful towards end of the game. I just can't see who can come off the bench and offer anything other than batt and feeney.

• April 30, 2013 at 15:02

I would start with: forde, dunne, shittu, Beevers, Lowry, Feeney, abdou, saville, Henry, trotter and keogh, in a 4-4-1-1 formation.
    I think that Feeney and Henry can run the wings well, with a.smith as replacement, and use batt as a impact sub with 20 to go.
    We really need the points tonight, it is not doing my health any good... But nothing less than you expect from wall. Big business needed in the summer.

• April 30, 2013 at 15:48

Smithy, well, like you say 'with what's available', there's the problem, and opens up this season long can-of-worms about KJ's slection doesn't it, that's why we're all better managers than him, right? 🙂 LOL

• April 30, 2013 at 15:58

Haha, would not like to be in his shoes
      But do you think he's made it harder for himself? I.e all this tinkering. Personally and I know lots won't agree but I'd have stuck with JM, it was obvious from early doors that RH wasn't interested.
      I'd just wish KJ didn't tie his own arms behind his back.
      F*** knows what's gonna happen tonight but its taking over my life. forget I have kids sometimes. Two more games then back to reality.

• April 30, 2013 at 17:32

Lets hope we get a decent ref tonight , cos with murray , zaha , playing they dont need a excuse to go down. henry must find his shooting boots tonight,he is the one bright spark in the team that could and should get us the points .