Saville wants Millwall to build on battling Forest display

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

GEORGE Saville insisted Millwall would not get too downhearted after their 1-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Billy Davies' side returned to the Midlands with all three points after Greg Halford's early header and left the Lions just a point above the relegation zone heading into the final week of the season.

But Saville, on loan from Chelsea, felt there were positives to take into Tuesday's clash against rivals Crystal Palace at The Den.

"It is a very big derby," he said. "We need a point or a win to stay in this division so it is a huge game for the club. The players and the staff will need the fans to get right behind us.

"To lose to Forest was disappointing but I thought we battled hard and stuck together. We showed a lot of grit and determination but it just wasn't our day to find a goal.

"There was a lot of frustration in the dressing room afterwards that we did not get something out of the game but the gaffer told us to keep going and it will come."

Saville played 79 minutes against Forest after being handed only his second senior start and the 19-year-old is hoping to keep his place in the side against Palace and Derby County next weekend.

"I've just got to keep doing what I have been in training," he said. "I am confident in my ability. I was pleased that the gaffer put me out there but it's a shame we didn't get the win.

"I've played a few positions. I see myself as a box-to-box midfielder but I've been playing in the hole behind the striker in training to create a few things and cause a few problems."

48 thoughts on “Saville wants Millwall to build on battling Forest display

• April 29, 2013 at 09:26

Thought you were one of our better players, you look comfortable when you have the ball and dont just hoff it that half of our team, When we got you on loan I thiught it was a good move for you and us, but KJ seems to happy with you getting splinters in your a***, Chelsea may reconsider loaning us anyone next season if we get players that there clubs loan and want them to playing time.

I hope you do get the nod for tomorrow as you showed a lot of the senior guys what this game is about, not just muscle and running but using others muscels like there brains to look for team mates and look to put the ball in the chanels and play to our strengths, like into feet to the man facing you rather than the big lump up where even if its one (with one up top) nothing ever comes of it.

Anyway if you are in the 11 tomorrow George play like you do as the captain of your side at Chelsea and also ask Jimmy to watch you as he mite pick up some ideas about controlling the ball and distrubution opf it as well.

• April 29, 2013 at 09:46

Hope you get the nod young'n play with the ball and tear palace apart and make the rest of the WALL play with some pride to wear the lion on the shirt.

• April 29, 2013 at 10:28

Personally I think a lot of work needs doing. As a life long Lion I am there come rain or shine. We need to look at the problems. I mean since the interest from fulham and young boys Danny shittu seems to have lost his way. I know he wants European football and the interest is tempting but whilst he is in that racing plus jersey he should be giving his all. As well I am gutted at Rob Hulses decision to return to qpr, people don't seem to realise how much effort he put in, especially on the training ground with a proven record of 35 goals in 2 weeks. I know it's only training but playing against defenders day in day out like dunne and osbourne it ain't that bad when you think about it. Also looks like we might be loosing woolford to herne bay, bad business in my eyes. Also I bumped into bobby bacic in smokey jerky down the old Kent road and asked him his thoughts. Whilst agreeing with me about the shock loan of Thierry racon to Pompey, he was also mentioning how he though trotters performances on the pitch had dropped, we need to get this together pronto otherwise we will see our side Freefalling like Pompey and not attract big names anymore

• April 29, 2013 at 10:50

Agree with Barnlion, thought he looked ok, got stuck in and he can actually pass the ball, now thats a step in the right direction. And he played in his right position, not stuck out on the left wing, where KJ seems to start all our new players Strange that !

• April 29, 2013 at 11:42

Kenny was right when he said he showed better in the N.Forest game, I thought he was our best midfielder in the first half and a much better option than J.Smith. But KJ then moved him out to the left before he come off for Feeney, and i don't know if anyone noticed but he left a gaping hole in the centre of midfield when he did move over to the left and we changed our formation to a 4-4-2. I know we weren't pulling up trees in the midfield area prior but we did at least hassle and compete. Personally I would of left Saville on and brought St Ledger off so we had a more attacking midfield. In my book KJ made x2 substitution errors in that game that cost us at least an equalizer. I hope Saville takes heart from Saturdays performance and pushes on for the remaining games....

• April 29, 2013 at 12:12

Does anyone know if the rumours are true that we have Tony Yeboah down doing some work with the strikers, would be good news if so.

• April 29, 2013 at 17:18

Lion bar we should be asking you for the answers. You seem to have a bit more "inside knowledge" than the rest of us.
      Not usually one to ? People's posts but you say you thought hulse put in more effort than people give him credit and he scored over 35 goals in 2 weeks on the training ground. Well that's all well and good but if perhaps he scored 2 or 3 in real time then we'd have 2 or 3 extra points. As for effort do I really need to go there?

• April 29, 2013 at 12:15

Fair play to the lad for coming out and speaking up for the team, even though he knows he's off next week.

• April 29, 2013 at 12:39

I don't know much (according to my missus!), but I do know this...we are all pouring our souls into this forum cos we DO CARE. We are in deep deep s*** and this lad has come out and said his piece. This team needs to pull on that shirt Tuesday, show some b*******, we need to scream and sing the house down from the off, put our differences behind us now, get behind this team that, admittedly has seriously under-performed this season, and give them the rush to do the job. They must give us a performance and show us all that they are worthy. Fight for every ball, every header. Run and chase every single chance. Its in their hands now. I think Savile did well, and spoke up, so the whole team now needs to man-up and fight to the bitter end. COYL

• April 29, 2013 at 12:58

We need to go back to the old days, bit of passion, hard working, deserve them millwall colours. Like when Steve gritt was down there. And Jimmy Nicholl we were strong, good side and had the world at our feet. We are missing a good strong striker like Uwe Fuchs. We was at our best in the Live Tv days. Come on millwall let's stand together and get our club back to the glory years.

• April 29, 2013 at 13:39

What about Bob Peeters (Shaun Batt has studied his ever move) and looks every bit as good

• April 29, 2013 at 17:14

@LionBar: Fair enough, we've had some real crap down at Millwall over the years, but I wouldn't include Steve Gritt in that list.

• April 29, 2013 at 13:25

We must produce an 12th man atmosphere like no other tomorrow night and i for 1 will be there screaming my b***** off to make it so...

COYL!!!!

• April 29, 2013 at 14:22

Tomorrow is our cup final. Lets get the 3 pts. Then sort the rest out.

• April 29, 2013 at 14:23

Tomorrow is our cup final. Lets get the 3 pts. Then sort the rest out..

• April 29, 2013 at 17:48

I doubt yeboah would have time to train our shower of s***, nearly 50 and I'm sure he owns a few businesses and a football club somewhere. Could be wrong. As for saville, looks neat and tidy on the ball but is weak as a kitten, gets easily pushed off the ball too much. No doubt will be a good player but from the very little I've seen I'd say he will never be a Chelsea regular, even in 10 years. You can really tell the difference in quality though when you compare him to our lot, composed in possession and can CONTROL a football without it ending up in west lower. Same with Adam smith, the way they take care of the ball and look so comfortable on it tells you they have been coached by the best.

• April 29, 2013 at 18:02

@82wall:

Not so sure it's coaching that does that - more like natural ability. Agree with you that Saville is lightweight - got shoved off the ball very easily Saturday. Also very unfair to pin survival hopes on the shoulders of a 19 year old.

It's about time out strikers stepped up and scored a few instead of cluelessly huffing and puffing and some of the others stepped up to the plate as well.

• April 29, 2013 at 18:01

Thought he looked a lot stronger against Forest , won a few headers as well , gave one one a good clattering when he put his head in to win a ball. He's got bottle that's for sure. Wouldn't mind having him back next season ... Or even a cheeky bid

• April 29, 2013 at 18:33

Slight change of subject but the following popped into my head recently and I'd love opinions on it....... Is our current team better than the 2009/10 League One play off winning side ? I personally think not. If you think it is , what has improved ? Cheers all.

• April 29, 2013 at 18:47

@blk8: I don't think this group of players are better than the play off winning team. For a start I refuse to call them a team because clearly they are not, the only brief time they looked a team was when Wood was playing. We have relied more on loans this season and have not had a settled 11, more like a bunch of players that barely know each other.
      We were looking a decent side with Wood and Henderson but all that is history now.
      We have a nucleus of a reasonable side but we have a lot of short comings that need to be addressed.

• April 29, 2013 at 18:41

@ les
    Your right they do have a natural ability, but when they have been at these top clubs since a very young age, it's only right really that they have quality, and being around world class coaches and players must play a part. I reckon if I had been at Chelsea since I was 10, then I'd have been a fairly good player by 20. Agree also the strikers need to liven up.

• April 29, 2013 at 20:33

@82wall: Spot on 82. This is where we should be looking, in the Premiership U-21 League. There are a lot of young players with good quality there that realistically will never get a chance at their parent club. Trouble is, we won't be the only ones looking.

• April 29, 2013 at 18:54

Wall fans need to stand up and be counted tomorrow show this team what walls about, make some noise and get behind em, and scare the granny out of Palarse, as someone mentioned this is our cup final, it's time to do our bit it's been way to quiet lately, we need these points COYL COYL COYL

• April 29, 2013 at 20:08

Does anybody have any knowledge of how many we sold by 5pm deadline for Palace? It can't be too many otherwise the site would have had the usual hurry selling fast posts up.

I can not make it due to work and I worry massively about our fate tbh. My palace colleagues at work are more than happy to throw the Peterborough game if they do us tomorrow.

• April 29, 2013 at 20:23

Jonny lions live on Thursday said we'd sold about 12,000 up to that point.
      Probably another 1500-2000 more + palARSE have sold about 2000 +
      So a good 16/17000. The usual attendance against them.
      Shame we ain't got an ettiene verveer

• April 29, 2013 at 21:06

@lukesmithmfc:

Cheers Luke. I will stake my house that even if its 16-17,000 the official attendance will be said to be 13,500-14,000 no more.

• April 29, 2013 at 20:11

Just watching villa Sunderland. Almost the same villa line up as against us. Full house and a rocking atmosphere. Sounds buzzin
    Just what's needed from us lot tomorrow night. PalARSE have sold out for the first time since I can remember. And they're not here to make up the numbers they're here to make it for once a home game for their lot. I for one ain't avin it not in my garden you don't pal. We don't need reminding but I hope from before kick off the players don't and even if one down we can more than do enough to help em out. Lets let em know from the off boys, they might have had more top flight football than us but we the upper hand in head to head and we are definitely the noisy neighbours. Can't let them out do us in the stands not when we're desperate. COYL

• April 29, 2013 at 21:07

Well said luke, ill be there tomorrow night and at work wednesday with no voice. We need to make one hell of a racket cause i dont want to hear them for the whole 90 mins.

COYL!!!

• April 29, 2013 at 21:11

@lukesmithmfc: Well I'll be making plenty of noise but unfortunately from 400 miles away! Hopefully I can get a live feed, if not it'll be the radio again. COYL

• April 29, 2013 at 21:20

Lion.ie i know a web site that it might be on but not sure if i can post the name or link on here....

• April 29, 2013 at 21:23

@mfc1rob: Cheers Rob, I usually use the one beginning with W!

• April 29, 2013 at 21:32

I know a few but unless we're live we don't get streamed. F*** me villa are on fire. 5-1 up

• April 29, 2013 at 20:39

That's the spirit wall COYL

• April 29, 2013 at 21:22

Lets all get behind KJ and the boys and MAKE THEM realise what wall means to us.

COYL!!!

• April 29, 2013 at 21:27

F*** me backs to the wall with nothing but pure adrenaline and the sound of packed hse screaming and shouting. Surely the den will be better than villa park tomorrow night.
    I don't care about benteke being a proper goal scorer they still need the points to be safe.
    And without his goals they'd be down with qpr and reading. My point is that they're playing like they ain't gonna go down and the crowd has more than played a part.

• April 29, 2013 at 21:36

@lukesmithmfc: If Benteke had played against us we would probably have never have gone to Wembley.

• April 29, 2013 at 21:40

And we'd have had a completely different league campaign. that just makes for ifs buts and maybes

• April 29, 2013 at 21:51

@lukesmithmfc: Not sure I agree Luke, the FA Cup run is a handy excuse but the signing of Hulse and Tyson and the injuries to Afobe (his 'Boro performance was really promising) and Chaplow would be my turning points.

• April 29, 2013 at 22:16

We've had to play catch up quite a bit cause of cup run and in doing so we've set up differently than I think we would have done. Taylor's latest set back was because he played a couple weeks with an injury, if we wasn't playing catch up he'd have had a realistic chance of resting his groin. That can also be said of Henry. Shittu has put a great shift in for us but the last couple games before his suspension he looked fcuked again, it would not have been the case. I just think it may have been a bit different the palARSE game would have been played at a time when we picked up a bit of league form instead we now play them when there's a huge lack of confidence and when we're running out of steam.
            Hulse I agree with but afobe and Tyson really haven't played enough to make that much of a difference. Although I really like the look of afobe. Chaplow is the best of the lot a huge blow but cause of the circumstances. KJ actually done well to get him and st ledger in especially with all the games this month. IMO the 2013 fa cup will be remembered as the most important in our history. If we stay up then it can be blamed for showing us how inept our squad is and if we go down it can also be blamed for showing us how inept our squad is. Like it or lump it it has played a massive part in where we are and what we're watching. IMO ofcourse.

• April 29, 2013 at 21:30

We need to get behind the boys. We are at THE DEN. Lets get the job done. Scare the s*** out of the palarse.

• April 29, 2013 at 21:48

Just had a look at the palarse web site and they have sold out, 2,200.

COYL!!!!

• April 29, 2013 at 22:01

Plus i hope to god the idiots stay away.... create a famous menecing wall atmosphere yes but please no idiots.........

• April 29, 2013 at 22:16

@mfc1rob: There'll be 2,200 idiots there at least...lol

• April 29, 2013 at 22:20

Haha, careful lion don't need karma to come out to play lol

• April 29, 2013 at 22:29

@lukesmithmfc: Two dull and uneventful nil nil draws to end the season and guarantee safety, that's all I'm asking, and for Palace to finish in play off's by beating PB and then lose to Brighton in semi's. Fate doesn't scare me.... ha ha ha

• April 29, 2013 at 22:29

Hahahaha fair point lion

• April 29, 2013 at 22:42

Hahaha I'll take that all day lion.

• April 29, 2013 at 22:42

@mfc1rob: yeah i think the extra games did not help but in.my opinion our problems are in the lack of quality in MF and no one scoring goals.