Millwall boss unhappy with referee after Blackburn defeat

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

KENNY Jackett criticised referee Gavin Ward after Millwall's controversial 2-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers at The Den on Tuesday.

Ward gave the visitors a penalty in the second half after Grant Hanley went down, with Mark Beevers close by, but replays showed the centre-back had not received any contact from a Lions player.

Jordan Rhodes converted what proved to be the winner from the spot to leave Jackett's side still in danger of relegation with three games of the season remaining.

"I have seen it again and it did look a very soft decision," Jackett said. "In my opinion, the referee got the assessment wrong. It didn't look as if there was any contact. I felt it was very harsh.

"I was looking for the team of officials to make the right call because it was a crucial moment in the game. I've not spoken to the referee – it's something that I'll probably do.

"Having said that, I can speak to him all I want – it is not going to change anything. We have not got anything from the game but a draw would have been a fair result."

Despite his frustration with the referee's decision, Jackett was equally critical of Millwall's defending in the build up. He said: "We were chasing the game and were too gung-ho.

"It's a good run by Hanley but he shouldn't power through like that from one end of the pitch to the other. It's poor. There were too many people on the wrong side of the ball."

Captain Danny Shittu was booked for dissent in the immediate aftermath of the incident and then received a second yellow card after the full-time whistle.

"I was in the dressing room at the time but Danny informed me when he came in that, whatever he said, the referee deemed it to be worthy of a booking," Jackett said.

"Danny is upset and I have to back my player. It is not something I want – I do not want him to miss any games – but he's been fantastic for us and is a passionate man. We have to swallow that one.

"He's in a situation where he felt very passionately that there was no contact."

Prior to the penalty, Karleigh Osborne's opener had been cancelled out by Rob Hulse's own goal – a deflection on the line from David Jones' corner.

But Jackett felt the Lions were in a good position to get something out of the game with the score at 1-1. He said: "I wouldn't say we did enough to win but we deserved a point.

"We started the game very well. After 35 minutes Blackburn came into it strongly – David Dunn was very influential. Their first goal was very disappointing. That shouldn't happen in this division.

"Once we made two substitutions at 1-1, we got a foothold back in the game when it looked to be going away from us. With that foothold, I didn't think we did enough to win but it looked even.

"We went down battling and fighting at the end by putting Blackburn under pressure and getting balls into their box. But ultimately, the decision has cost us."

17 thoughts on “Millwall boss unhappy with referee after Blackburn defeat

• April 24, 2013 at 06:06

Not so sure about the foothold.
    And again a lack of an apology from the gaffer. Sometimes you gotta hold your hands up and say "I got in wrong" but that is something way beyond KJ. The defending for both their goals was p*** poor. I bet hulse went home smiling. I've never hated a player so much. He got more than boos when he came off. Feeney came off injured so f*** knows what kind of team kj will have out on sat, can't imagine what the back line will be, prob j smith at left back.or KJ might do the unthinkable and actually put a cb at cb.
    Fed up of this crap and fed up of KJ not apologising for the crap HE makes us watch.
    Oh sorry the article is about the ref, yeah he was great in the first half, bit like us and then absolute s*** and gave the game to them in the second, bit like us.

• April 24, 2013 at 08:13

Look like a team that's lost there way. Last year when we were in the s*** KJ turned to the faithful Tony Craigh etc, and they would die for the club. This year we have not them type of players hence we are struggling. As I posted before KJ said on the Millwall website that he learnt from that last season, and he now knew what type of team and method of playing it took to do well in this league. We have had a bit of bad luck with injuries etc, but no more than anyone else, Blackburn have several injured players that would walk into our team, D J Cambell etc. It looks to me that our better players and there ain't many, have lost the faith with the ability of the players around them and heads have gone down. Our forwards have been p*** poor, but I think the problem has always been the midfield, they cannot pass to one another and keep the ball and control the game, they have not got the ability to find that pass that sets the forwards free, and bring them in the game. They spend most of the game huffing and puffing rounding around like headless chickens with no final pass. Is it me , but we looked most composed when Josh Wright came on purely because he try's to pass and find a player, rather than run around in circles. In this division you have to be composed , foot on the ball, find your players, and have that bit of class up front. Sorry to go on a bit but that's how I see it.

• April 24, 2013 at 08:35

Agree with you on this one luke, but kj seems to try to set up his team not to lose, and that is never a good idea, from a position of leading 1 nil he never once got them to push for a second (which should have killed them off).
    He has to many players in his squad that just dont cut the mustard at this level, and they we are dropping down the table he should will have a good squad for Div 1. I know we are Millwall but we dont have anyone who can play football or control the ball in the middle. If you looked at David Dunne last night (is overweight) nearly all there play came through him and he was getting the usual abuse from us about being a fat **** but played well and nearly scored as well.
    Then there was the tactical changes take off 2 forwards (i know peoples opion of them) and replace them with a holding midfeild player and another Div 1 or 2 forward, what really gets me is that KJ shows no passion on the line and neither do most of the team.
    There first goal was a schoolboy error from JH how can the man on the near post get beat so easily, and the second well he should never have even reach the area Jack smith and Alan Dunne should both take a long look in the mirror on this one.
    I have said before that maybe it is time that we looked at someone else to take over form KJ but who would want it after the Semi trouble and our captain who has just got a new 2 year deal gets himself sent off after the game (priceless that one), all we can hope for after we all thought the season was looking good in December is that we finish no lower than 21st.

• April 24, 2013 at 08:46

Why did kj wait til after they scored to make the subs from the 45th min it was clear we needed to make subs. And 4-5-1 still don't work.

• April 24, 2013 at 09:04

Agree with Barn, fat boy Dunne showed what it takes to play at this level. Composure, tactical know how, skill. Not just running around after the ball , then hoofing it to no one. Can anyone tell me why Danny Murphy can't get in there side ?
    Regards Sups.

• April 24, 2013 at 09:14

We seem to have lost the will to fight. It's not the millwall way. When the going gets tough we make it tougher. It's not the millwall way. And team moral is non-existent at the moment. It's just not the millwall way. KJ should get the WHOLE squad to take a long hard look at the championship table just before they go out onto the pitch & focus on what is really important. Players, coaching staff & the manager should understand that they are in a very privileged position. If supporters are bludgeoned into showing more responsibility by having all sorts of impositions placed upon them, including having to watch half-baked attempts at defending fortress den, then why
    shouldn't the playing staff be made accountable too? Far too many times this season we've had to witness unacceptable displays from officials too, who for one reason or another seem to have some kind of anti-millwall agenda. Why are their inept, sometimes baffling decisions never questioned or put to a higher authority? Lastly, I've never been a season ticket holder but want to become one next season. I can't really afford it despite the club's attempts at discounting them because I want to show my commitment to the club. However, in the wake of an obvious lack of ambition by the board (not a swipe at JB, who's been magnificent) I am genuinely concerned for our future prospects, particularly with the imminent arrival of FFP next season. Will we ever be more than a mid-table championship club?

• April 24, 2013 at 09:33

@NO1LIKESUS: As I have said before on here, I really wish we were a championship mid table club but that is beyond us due to the lack of funds. We cannot compete on a regular basis with the big boys. Now and then we can give them a bloody nose but it is a long season and as you see with the premiereship at the end of the day it is all about money unfortunately.
      The best we can hope for in this division if we survive is more of the same.
      Groundhog day.

• April 24, 2013 at 09:15

at home we can not play football under kj we have always been s*** and will be s*** until we sack kj and bring someone new in

• April 24, 2013 at 09:40

Last season we were a championship side with a couple of league one players,this season we are a league one side with a couple of championship players.

• April 24, 2013 at 09:46

I hold Jackett personally responsible for the defeat last night and think he has lost the plot all together.
    WHY are you still perservering with Hulse!
    When it is 1-1, WHY are you going 4-5-1 again, we're at home FFS and looked dangerous with a 4-4-2 formation.
    WHY take J.Easter off!
    WHY, WHY, WHY...
    We should of won that game last night, but Jackett bottled it big time. With Shittu and Lowery out on Sat, I can see Hendo having a field day with our defence. Fu#king joke Jackett!

• April 24, 2013 at 09:50

Agree with LukeSmithMFC, Hulse is truly shocking! Says it all when a massive cheer goes up when he wins a header (I think he won 2 in the 60mins he had on the field). I didn't realise he deflected it into our own net for their first goal as it looked to me like it went straight in, that only makes me despise him even more. I don't condone the berating of our own players but the boos when he went off were totally justified.

I really cant see where the points are going to come from in our last remaining games, I think if we do manage to stay up it will be through luck more than anything else. Some serious signings are going to need to be made in the summer otherwise its going to be more of the same next season, if we stay up that is.

• April 24, 2013 at 10:02

KJ is out of ideas team he's no fight no skill apart from a couple of players, why does he keep playing Hulse should of gone off after 15 mins. We can only hope on a bit of luck now and hope 2 of the 3 teams on 51 points lose 1 of their games coz we ain't winning anything scary now the prospect of league one football next season , but that's wall I will be there next year come rain or shine, COYL

• April 24, 2013 at 10:05

Agree with Luke, Still no apology from KJ, everything is someone elses fault. He is blamless. Lets be honest when was the last time we saw us play really well, got the ball on the ground, took on defenders and played with real passion and pride. Most games we have won, we have ground out results and won by the odd goal. I know we can all sit round and pick what we think is the best team, but KJ is paid to bring the players in, train them the way he wants them to play and then pick the tactics on the day. So, if they do not do that, who's fault is it. Yes we all sing there's only one Kenny Jacket when we are beating Villa, (Which by the way is the only time this season I have seen him get animated,) So surely we have a right to say when we think things are going wrong.
    We can also blame the poor refereeing decisions that have cost us games, but had we had decent strikers who could actually score goals and taken the chances they had, then those decisions would have not mattered. I am dreading Saturdays game, now we have no Shittu either, at least for next Tuesday we will have Shittu and Lowry back, but whatever happens we have to get a result against Palarse, we expect the players to die out there. Just read that KJ said he thought the penalty decision last night was "Soft" where's the passion? Soft, say what you mean, I know you can not call the referee a cheat, but soft, no wonder there is no passion in our play. End of rant, I am so angry about what I had to sit and watch last night, this is the team I love, this is NOT the Wall I know.

• April 24, 2013 at 11:26

Kenny's got a lot of sorting out to do with his team and takes the blame for tactics, especially at home where we just haven't been good enough this season (or last year either). However, the main reason he's forced to go out and bring in free transfers and loans is because he has very limited funds. We can argue all day about who's to blame for that - the Chairman or the fans, but we simply don't have the money that clubs like Leicester, Cardiff or the many other clubs with Parachute Payments from the Premier. Yes Jackett chooses the players, but there's only so many loanees like Wood out there - and as we saw, not many decent players want to sign for a club like Millwall.

I can't say I'm exactly happy with the football over the past two seasons and where we seem to be heading, but I'm still not convinced we'd get someone better that Kenny Jackett at this level and with the funds we currently have. As the saying goes, maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

• April 24, 2013 at 11:37

Reflection on the morning after the night before. The last couple weeks my posts have been contradictive, one minute I'm telling you all to calm down and look at what we are what we've got KJ will sort it ect ect. The next minute I'm blaming the whole club and set up for the s*** we are putting up with week in week out. The only thing I've been consistent with is the truth of what I see. Watford last Tuesday we won and I wrote we did not deserve to. I also said I'll give credit every time it's due I.e Allan Dunne and every good performance we've had, but can someone tell why it's wrong to blame the set up for consistently making the players play out of position and setting us up to play s*** football? Why do we have so many injuries and why do we insist on resting injured players when it's too late? Why this obsession with the left hand side. If we all praise KJ for the good he does then why am I wrong to criticise him for the wrong he does. I know we have had very bad luck with injuries suspensions and officials but sll this in the same season as Bottlegate race row and wembley. Staying up will be completely undeserved, but like the win against Watford, 100% needed. The average players we need to get shot of will not get any better next season and we will not be able to afford to get rid of them all.
    Berylson buys 4-5 million pounds worth of shares every yr to "keep us afloat" but he said when he took over he has - I can't remember if it was 5 or 10 yr plan to make us a top 30 team in the country, well if it was 5 then this summer is massive if we're in this division if he's to stand by his word, he's one of the richest chairman in the country worth over 130 mil and give millions every yr to charity - good on him - but this summer is about investment not in shares but in player personel and better scouting coaches and physio's, If he does I hope KJ does a better job with the money than he did at Swansea. I don't want him to f*** up cause I think he's the second best manager we've had in my time and the most successful, but don't have a moan at me for airing my disappointment of the s*** we've been watching.

• April 24, 2013 at 12:36

Carrying on from what Luke is saying, surely at some time JB will have to decide on what he wants. Does he carry on subsidising the club at 5m a season and we remain a near to the bottom of the championship side. That is pointless, he losses money and we get nowhere. Or, does he decide at some stage to say right lets push on and as Luke says that will cost money for new players etc. I would really like to know what is in his head, after all he is a business man not a charity. We really are in a catch 22 situation, unless the form on the pitch improves and we stop getting adverse headlines, we are never going to win back old fans or attract new ones. So with no new money coming in, what happens?

• April 24, 2013 at 12:47

Another thing I would of liked to of seen last night was after the final whistle went, KJ getting onto the pitch, ushering his players away from the ref (and obviously stopping Shittu getting sent off) and then going fuc#ing nuts at the referee himself. I know it not really in his nature, but we have had to many officials come down the Den, giving what can only be said 'shocking decisions' and KJ says F all to them about it. When are the F.A going to send that ref back down the Den who let us re-take a penalty about 4 times against POSH a few years back. I liked him !!