Millwall chairman won't walk away after Wembley trouble

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

CHAIRMAN John Berylson has vowed to rebuild Millwall's reputation after insisting he will not walk away from the club in the wake of crowd trouble at Wembley.

Berylson admits the violent disorder inside the national stadium two weeks ago had left him with "a real sense of devastation" but says he will tackle the problem head-on.

14 arrests were made after trouble broke out amongst Lions fans during the FA Cup semi-final loss to Wigan on April 13 – events that made headlines around the world.

Berylson said in a statement on the club's official site: "The great frustration for me was the fact that no-one was interested in talking about the football, or our achievement in reaching the semi-finals.

"The actions of a group of morons blighted what should have been a great occasion for us and for Wigan, and at a stroke undid so much good work that has been done at Millwall over many years."

Berylson added: "Contrary to some opinions I am not going to run from this, but I believe it to be our collective responsibility to see an end to it. We know we are better than this.

"I firmly hope the perpetrators will be brought to justice and penalised heavily for their actions. For the rest of us, we have to regroup and re-focus on the progression we have been making.

"I am encouraged that, for the most part, the media has taken a balanced view in terms of what happened, and understand the work we have done to ensure those unpleasant scenes are a rarity.

"Clearly, though, there is more to be done, and now, more than ever, we need all our genuine fans, who were hurt as much as I was, to join us in finding ways to prevent there ever being a repeat."

114 thoughts on “Millwall chairman won't walk away after Wembley trouble

• April 22, 2013 at 13:45

If Berylson had "walked" after a Wembley incident blown up out of all proportion by a hysterical media (and one that could easily have been prevented by bone idle cowardly police) I would have stuck up a finger and said good riddance.
    Never thought he would despite the rumours because he's a bigger man than that and why would someone from a country when the gun, fist and physical strength are worshipped be put off by a minor brawl.
    Let's hope the club can be a little more forward looking now with this lead from the top - I just hope that John Berylson's commitment and drive for success can be matched by those within the club who appear to conspire against just that.

• April 22, 2013 at 13:51

I would not have blamed him for reconsidering, the club have really tried hard to change public perception and get more people coming to games in knowledge that they will be safe. It's a measure of the man that he has stood firm on this and will play his part in rebuilding. Totally agree that there has been hype (The Sun, we are looking at you!) but generally I think the press has been reasonable in their assessment.

• April 22, 2013 at 14:53

• April 22, 2013 at 14:58

"Shame them out of the club" ??????? " Stills of people the police are looking at." ?????????

What an embarrassment you are Swanny. I hope I never have to sit next to someone like you

• April 22, 2013 at 18:27

Come on Les this is not Hof, the geezers allowed an opinion, I don't agree with him but there are a lot of Good Millwall supporters who do feel this way....we certainly won't survive with certain types attaching themselves to our club anymore those days are gone.....even for Millwall

• April 23, 2013 at 06:41

I agree with Swanny. It's embarrassing that people turn a blind eye when morons ruin it for everyone else

• April 22, 2013 at 16:36

well we are lucky to have a chairman like john Berylson who will not let those idiots drive the club down. we as fans need to support him every inch of the way because with out his backing their would not be a club . those 50 so called fans have caused a major sponsor to pull out which hurts the club and the true fans when will they stop coming to the matches and we can lose that tag og being hooligan's yes we want the passion of the fans but we also want to be proud of the fact the we can behave. this next suggestion mind offend some people but perhaps we should ditch the no one likes song and dream up another one .

• April 22, 2013 at 16:42

I tell you what mate if you're happy with what happened and wanna turn a blind eye to it then i agree with you on one thing, I hope me and my boys don't have you sitting next to us. Embarrassment !!! What the f*** was that at Wembley then? F****** bursting with pride was you... Its my club as much as yours and I'm f***** off with getting mugged off by the press and sky tv. When the club gets attacked, rightly or wrongly it hurts.

• April 22, 2013 at 19:22

Swanny mate things are not always black and white. I know for a fact some off those in all the published pics are not trouble at all and are family men. We know not of what provoked them or what happened. They were just unlucky to be in that block when it kicked off.

I can tell you this for nothing, I was one block away in 138 and if someone I knew or one of my two boys who were with me was hurt by a moron or I felt in fear of their safety or humiliated I would defend them first and worry about the aftermath AFTER!!!

It's a problem.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:34

And as a father I would do exactly the same. And I'll do the same for someone else if I didn't have my kids with me especially if they're wall, and I'll do it without the old bill cause I'm stupid like that, no doubt I'll get a hiding but as long as the kids are safe, that's first and foremost.

• April 23, 2013 at 11:16

I can't disagree with any of that. There were plenty of innocents caught up in that day

• April 22, 2013 at 16:48

The reason I wouldn't want to sit next to you is because you are suggesting dobbing in fellow Millwall fans to the police. You're the sort of person that phones grassline on a Saturday afternoon after someone shouts out boo.
    Do you know the people who had a tear up? Do you know the circumstances? I doubt it. Talk about find people guilty before you know the evidence. For all you know someone who threw a punch could have been pushed around, threatened all sorts. But all you want to do is post up pictures regardless to help your friends the police who if you knew the truth are no friends of Millwall FC and it's fans.
    Quite frankly people like you make me sick

• April 22, 2013 at 17:12

I don't understand your attitude. Obviously some innocent people were stuck in the middle of what happened, but if there were genuine fans innocently defending themselves, then why would they have a problem coming forward and speaking with the police? If someone was endangering the safety of me and my family in a public place, the police are the first people I'd want involved. This whole "us vs the police" attitude is pathetic and is part of the problem. This isn't the 70s. This isn't some mafia operation where speaking to the police is punishable by death - we are talking about a football club in the 21st century!

There were clearly a number of idiots at Wembley who couldn't care less about this football club and the work it does and the money it sacrifices to rid itself of its reputation. I'm sick of having to defend the club I love because of the actions of a few boozed up morons and if you are out to defend them, then you are part of the problem as well.

• April 22, 2013 at 17:32

Well said Stan.

• April 23, 2013 at 06:43

Yes, Stan

• April 22, 2013 at 19:25

Old les your a blinder I make you right we are in this together, I've been brought up as a working class lad never grass on anyone come and sit with me anytime, the main issue has been covered up the 5.15 kick off allowing people to get very p***** before the game, that's what caused the trouble alcohol, all most like a set up if you ask me, if people wernt that p***** that row wouldn't of happend their might of been a scuffle but it would of got sorted, the old bill wanted that to happen their the ones who ok late fixtures, turn on them not each other. Anyway fair play to JB and COYL 3 points at home

• April 22, 2013 at 19:49

Les, I suspect you are right and some innocent people were caught up in it, good news for them is that I let the whole thing was video'ed and their innocence will be provable without doubt. If it were me I would come forward and offer up the facts and try to clear my name. As for grassing up fellow fans, I don't see someone that starts violence in the stands, especially with our own fans, as one of our own.

• April 22, 2013 at 17:01

So you're happy with people like that in the club are you? You don't mind the same old crap every year and Millwalls name being dragged through the mud? You don't know me or what I'm about, so f*** off with the grass line s***, and who says "dobbing"?And as for finding people guilty before having any evidence, what are you talking about? What more evidence do you need? Have we all, including our chairman, made an incorrect assumption about something here? And lastly, "if i knew the truth" about the police hating Millwall. Come on Les Theres no secret there, haven't you heard... NO ONE LIKES US

• April 22, 2013 at 17:07

Im finding it hard to respond with composure... Swanny, Glyngo, all i can say is Millwall is a family club, with great aspirations to work with a fragmented society struggling to support each other in a political war zone. NO EXCUSES for violence, NO EXCUSES for making children cry and NO EXCUSES for dragging a decent club with strong community morals/ethics through the mud. I will continue to deliver community work and support our club. Those who fought should remain ashamed, NO EXCUSES!

• April 22, 2013 at 17:12

I say dobbing. People of my generation have been using the word for years. So you've learnt something today.
    This is what you said "Show the footage on the big screen at The Den John. Or stills of the people the police are looking at. Shame them out of the club. "
    That's grassing up your own in my book (though of course you'd deny they were your own) or in your case grassing on not your own.
    As for evidence I need a lot more. Perhaps I was closer to it than you perhaps not but I know nothing really. I won't condemn anyone on the basis of something seen from a distance about which I know nothing of cause of effect.
    What I do know is that these people will have the book thrown at them, whatever the circumstances, aided and abetted by those of your mind set.

• April 22, 2013 at 18:41

The cameras will do for them. ....answer me this Les ....how could they be looking after there kids when in the midst of a bundle......they couldn't ! any real Dad would have moved them away to safety or stood his ground in front of them........they didn't grass these morons up ,that's why it took so long for the stewards and OB to get stuck in ( those OB that stood by should be disgusted with themselves) anyone who threw a punch will have to explain in an interview or in court , I do hope those that where innocent or just standing there ground are not penalised unfairly.

• April 22, 2013 at 17:25

Personally I think Berylson has been a god send and needs to be commended for what he's done so far for the club and shown an element of leadership that seems to of been missing of late! However, (I know this may sound callus) he's a business man and not a chairman like Whelan at Wigan who bleeds football, he has a business motive to keep hold of Millwall, which we all know is the real estate and redevelopment of the area surrounding the stadium that is supposed to be happening at some point in the future. But once that happens and he's got what he wants from the ownership of Millwall and things kick off again he will be off.... I am proud to be a "Wall" supporter, always have been and always will be, but a certain crop of our fans are a true embarrassment at times and need sorting. We all know its not every week at or at every big game home or away but from time to time the twats get organised and ruin it for everyone else and yet again I've got to re justify to the wife that it is safe to take the kids....(Which drives me potty!!!) Well done Berylson for the work that you have done and shown some leadership....

• April 22, 2013 at 19:53

I don't think there is anything wrong with JB making some money so long as the Club ultimately benefits as well, but I am not sure that the deal will make him anything from what I have seen and heard. Time will tell.

• April 22, 2013 at 17:54

I really don't know what else Millwall FC can do to stop these fuckwits from coming to the high profile games and causing trouble. Fact of the matter is the media will always be on our backs when trouble occurs. Just really f**** me off when you look at the newcastle incident, not forgetting what happened with the Stockport fans at the weekend attacking players and hardly anything was mentioned in the media. If that had happened down the Den, we'd be shut down.
    Just feel sorry for all the people that work behind the scenes at Millwall trying to improve our reputation but for a few dickheads to ruin it.

• April 22, 2013 at 18:08

Ok, maybe some innocent people might have been caught up in it all but if my picture was published and I'd done nothing I'd want to sort it out. In my opinion, it has all been blown out of proportion, but as for grassing people up, these are not my mates or even fellow Millwall 'supporters' in my view. I owe them nothing. On the streets where I grew up you took care of your own, these aren't my own. Supporters don't keep costing the club money and embarrassing the majority of us. We can't even claim they were defending the honour of Millwall. If we are going to move forward we need to get rid of these half wits. I would much rather sit next to Swanny and any other Millwall fan than some p***** up berk who couldn't give a f*** about the rest of us or the club.

• April 22, 2013 at 18:16

Its good to know there are other like-minded people in the stands. We need to let KJ and Berylson that they have our complete support in dealing with the issue.

• April 22, 2013 at 18:33

I agree Stan , not sure how we can do it but I'd like to let JB know that I appreciate everything he is doing for the good supporters of our great club, the sooner we can shake ourselves of these big day top boy hangers on the better, there are quite a few regulars who still glory in it tho.

• April 22, 2013 at 18:47

Thanks for the lesson Les!
    Is having the book thrown at them a bad thing then?

• April 22, 2013 at 19:07

To Lincolnshire I ask "where and when did I as much as suggest or mention they were "looking after their kids?"

To Swanny - show me a single word where I have praised these people.

This is like being on a Palace message board

• April 22, 2013 at 19:07

I also think you're missing the point I'm making Les. The entire country as well as the old bill has already seen the footage and images. I was saying use that's stuff already out there and put it up in The Den so we can all see it. If I was guilty and saw my mug shot up in lights then turned around to realise people were looking at me, I wouldn't hang about. I haven't once mentioned going to the old bill.

• April 22, 2013 at 19:09

I never knew there was rumours, no one I know has mentioned it. Glad he's got something to say on it though.
    As for the press blowing it out of proportion
    where ? Cause I ain't seen or read anything that's over hyped. Personally I think they've understood for once that it wasn't all mindless morons that was just having a fight amongst themselves. It was more to do with people sticking up for the kids that had to put up with nothing but abuse by a couple groups of chaps on a jolly up that went a little too far. And refused to apologise or pipe down. If the old bill WANTED it sorted then they could easily have done so, they chose not to for obvious reasons.
    Please do not for one minute believe I condone what went on, for most of you have read previous posts of mine on this subject.
    I could have done without this s*** especially as we have a massive game to worry about tomorrow night. I'm p***** off with a couple people posting arguments to each other above. F*** me chaps whats the point? You can have any opinion or idea of how to eradicate it as much as you like, but like it or lump it, it ain't going away too soon. It's taken 20 odd yrs to get this far, the hamsters, Chelsea, qpr and spurs are still at and have had problems this season and how ever many before it. There's been nowhere near the publicity some are making out. I grew up thinking it was the best club in the world and if I told someone I'm millwall I'll be ok. Kids at school thought it was amazing that a couple of us was going every week and telling em story's of some of the things we had seen. If the rest of you in my generation say it was different for you then your telling porky's.
    It will take another 20 yrs to totally rid it, but tell me this, if your walking from a station or a car park somewhere up north or even down here, and there's a little group coming at you from all directions I bet you'll all be grateful to see your wall come out of nowhere to help you out. Happens plenty chaps , god knows how many times I've seen it. Maine rd, old Trafford, loftus rd, upton park, anfeild, goodison park
    I could go on. It ain't right but it's happening every week, just so happens millwall are good at it and get caught a lot more than anyone else. I don't like it and I have a choice not to go, I swear a lot and have a drink and have even more on an away day and get involved in the banter, but I've never got involved in the trouble cause I ain't any good at it and now I'm a lot older I no longer think I'm hard cause I support millwall. Get over yourselves boys. No need to hate each other, we have enough of that shot from EVERYONE else.

• April 22, 2013 at 19:25

"I was saying use that's stuff already out there and put it up in The Den so we can all see it"

And I'm saying suggesting the above is disgusting - no better than calling a copper and pointing someone out.

The very people employed to protect the public ie the police stood by and watched it all unfold at Wembley despite being asked to sort it out. This is typical because the modern copper is a coward - good at bullying and bashing with a baton, pepper spraying on a whim and tasering without justification.

It is very possible that people involved at Wembley were innocent of nothing but protecting themselves - yet no doubt their doors will go in some time early one morning and they'll be dragged to a police station, charged, possibly jailed and probably lose their job. How would you feel if that were you.

Not a single person on here knows exactly what happened but you're all prepared to judge on a bit of film without even a nod in the direction of your fellow fans - and like it or not that's what they are.

Time to get down off the high horse most of you rode into town on

• April 22, 2013 at 19:49

Why you all hyped up les, some have a different opinion altogether and your tarnishing everyone with the same brush. I'm not a grass but am fed up with it. We know it happens but f*** me at wembley of all places. I take it by your previous post your the only one who knows what happened. Chill out mate your not the only one on here with your opinion, but the other posters are not the only ones with theirs. And trust me if you think your the only one who knows what happened then your are wrong.
      Look at the article and look at the timing of it, then take a step back, then you will see why you need to chill out.
      Cheers fella.

• April 22, 2013 at 19:32

I think calling it the 'Battle of Wembley' (Sunday Mirror) was blowing it out of proportion Smithy! I, like I'm sure a lot of us have, have been in situations where 'we stood together'. That is not what we're talking about here; fighting among ourselves, throwing bottles, racist abuse, there's nothing brave or remotely honourable about that and it holds the club back in so many ways. I have always said, I don't want us to become like the nigels or anoraks but these actions are just embarrassing and damaging.

• April 22, 2013 at 19:53

Can no one see the irony, having read all of the good/bad points above all arguing about fans who were fighting at Wembley. We all have to come to the simple fact that we are Millwall and that we are slightly different to every other club. 99% of our fans don't go to football to have a tear up, we go to enjoy the football (debatable at the moment), enjoy the company of friends and family and to be a part of a club who has engrained itself into the fabric of our bodies, however most of us whether we like it or not stand by each other, away at Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton. You don't find that at any other club, all this rubbish about family clubs is a joke, we are the best family club I know because we are united in a common cause. We constantly have to put up with bad and completely inaccurate loaded press but if you're not used to that by the now you never will be.

No one likes us, we don't care.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:04

Luke - where did I say I know what happened?

I am simply suggesting possible scenarios that other have chosen to ignore

• April 22, 2013 at 20:18

Point taken les, but chill out mate otherwise you'll do yourself in.
      No ones entitled to agree with each other but you don't have to ram your opinion down everyone's throat. This site is a gud en, IMO. Every now and then people get excited, like yourself today. relax and join in but be nice about it les, go with the flow fella.
      Peace out.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:06

My loyalty is with those that do the right thing by the club and our fans. I have no loyalty for anyone else, so don't expect me to protect anyone that behaves to the contrary.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:09

Glad your back adsy
    I just think the press could have made more of it than people think, personally I think they've been relatively quiet. I've said my opinion on the incidents you have mentioned and we have had a chat on them ourselves, my opinion hasn't changed adsy I'm trying to defuse a couple people on here that's all, sometimes you gotta see both sides. You know my opinion on this so I don't feel I have to say it all again.
    The timing of this article couldn't be any better could it? what with the s*** result on Saturday and the injury report earlier today. Never rains does it.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:13

Totally agree with swanny myself and old les people like you are part of the problem. If a fellow Millwall fan attacked someone in the street would you not come forward to the police and be a witness or would you turn a blind eye cos his wall?! I'm not saying everyone involved is guilty but let the police know who these people are and they can sort it out and as said those that were caught up in the middle of it all will be pretty obvious from the filming. Things can get out of hand very easily but the amount of coke that was going up hooters surprised it wasn't worse.

• April 22, 2013 at 20:54

Don't talk wet!!! It's not for fans to out fans. If you people want a club that abides to putting the fellow fan (good or bad) away then I know for a FACT you do not abibe by the foundations on which we were founded on. We are spawned from scheming dockers as a club.

We come from a hard place, an ugly place. Don't condone the actions that harm us but ffs grow up and don't think grassing and self policing is the answer.

Where are you people from? Where do you live, where did you grow up? I came from the streets of Peckham and the code be it right or wrong has to apply. We can't live to ideals IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!

S*** me off! Call me what you will. I know its right. There is a lot of grey people and grassing will never work and nor should it either.

• April 23, 2013 at 17:25

Im sorry mate, but thats a load of rubbish. Millwall was founded 128 years ago - those ideals don't work in a modern society. How many dockers do you know? Im proud of the fact 10,000 millwall fans will out sing 20,000 fans from any other club. Im proud of what we as fans expect from our players when they are wearing our shirt. our idols should be Hurlick and Cripps, not fat old tattooed blokes who intimidate young wigan fans in the streets around wembley.

The people you should be standing by are the guys who come rain or shine to support Millwall, not the guys who think its ok to have a tear up at the national stadium. I dont care if you consider them to be 'real wall' - that term should stand for people who love the club, not some numpties who's desire to live in the past costs this club money and causes us embarrassment on an international scale. After all, what costs the club money will cost the fans money.

You can live by whatever principles you like, but as soon as you do so in the name of this club you should be thinking about more than yourself, because your actions will affect everyone associated with Millwall.

Yes the police should have done more to sort out the trouble, but this is not the first late kick off in history. If you get violent when youre p***** and you get drunk before a game, thats your responsibility. Were not talking about 12 year olds here, we are talking about grown men!

• April 22, 2013 at 21:00

Tell the police who they are???? The police took 5 minutes to get their act together, why should anyone help them. I have been a victim of crime a number of times and they have not even bothered investigating. How about if you witnessed a crime or you were personally involved then report that to the police. Violence in football stadiums is pointless and disgraceful but like it has been said many times drugs and alcohol were consumed like it was running out. This is a culture problem not a millwall one.

• April 22, 2013 at 21:28

I come from the same streets as you Jonny. Our code was look after your own and don't s*** on your own doorstep. We're not talking about things that fall off the back of a lorry, we're not talking about having a straightener. The dockers had pride in their community as did most of the people where I grew up and standards. We did police ourselves. The actions of a minority are holding our club back and will continue to do so if we all just turn a blind eye. I love Millwall, I'm proud of where I come from and the values it has given me which includes standing up for what I believe in.

• April 22, 2013 at 21:36

Ok so what's the solution? Surely SURELY grassing as suggested by people (and I repeat) people who look within from the outside, can never be the answer.

• April 22, 2013 at 22:19

I have a solution.
        Let the old bill, sorry, MAKE the old bill do their jobs properly. We pay their wages FFS. Almost every street, road, bus, train, shop, station, school, stadium, traffic light, motorway, and what ever I've missed has a fcuking camera that's wired up to em. Are you seriously telling me they now don't know who they're after, please.
        They're more interested in the tear up than most of our supporters.
        No one needs to grass, it ain't the way forward. Can you imagine the suns front page, millwall break unwritten rule
        Or the hamsters singing, no one like ya cause you snitch. Can't believe we've spent all night on this.
        Les I'm blaming you mate, I'm missing made in Chelsea cause of you, fcuking cheek. ; )

• April 22, 2013 at 22:10

How can u say look within from the outside?! At the end of the day I love this club and plough a lot of my hard earned money into so I want the best for the club and if that does mean 'grassing' so called fans that only turn up once or twice a season no big loss to me. If you see it as grassing you clearly don't have the same amount of love for the club as I do. If these fans loved the club they would tarnish the reputation of it and its fans every big game.

• April 22, 2013 at 22:33

How do you know they are fair weather fans????

Cos you are deluded. Love the club.... You may..... Understand it you do not.

What makes Millwall the club it is IS the history the notoriety, the passion. Not little fuckwits that give their inside out view.

Grow up. Pretend to be you support the 2013 Millwall. Spend your money because it seems the block you sit in defines the amount of love you spend on the club.

• April 22, 2013 at 22:10

Firstly by showing the guilty the contempt they deserve. These people are not worthy of our loyalty. They don't give a f*** about Millwall or us.

• April 22, 2013 at 22:17

Spot on. Exactly how I feel. They are the very reason we can't sign the better players and why attendances drop. I've recently had a baby boy and can not wait to take him to his first game but events like that make me wonder whether its the right thing to do. I don't want him seeing or being anywhere near s*** like that and I'm sure I'm not the only parent who feels that way. It damages the club so much more than a little fine and slapped wrists off the fa. Some people can't see that tho.

• April 23, 2013 at 07:05

Nobody is saying these tools don't need to be removed from the club ffs are they!!!!

What people are saying is its not for the fans to grass on each other.

Cos you are really starting to get on my tits now. I think I may tell on you for ruining the start of my day.

• April 22, 2013 at 23:08

Judging by most of you lot the Charltonification of Millwall is almost complete.
    My Dad would turn in his grave at some of the stuff on here

• April 22, 2013 at 23:16

Berylson comes from a country which for all its faults doesn't see foootball supporters kicking lumps out of each other.
    His reserved statement is all anyone can expect. Don't knock him. We've seen Paphitis handing over the reins to Savary, to an interim and then to Berylson.
    I'm not happy with anything at Millwall at the moment but at least he's injected cash to keep us going. I just hope that at the end of the season, he's learnt enough about us all to carry on and trust his board to find a new manager. Oh, and a new squad as well please.

• April 23, 2013 at 08:51

That first bit isn't actually true. American sports do get quite violent. Here's a recent example from Berylson's neck of the woods: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/yankees-red-sox-stabbing-bar-fight-connecticut-141558851.html

• April 23, 2013 at 01:04

Charltonification, i love it, weak lemon drink anyone?! Now Millwall is adding to the English language, carefull lads or we might get a reputation for being intelligent.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:02

So old fashioned. I understand all about the history of the club has been supported by my family for years and my grandad was a docker so know all about the history and where we've come from. But things move on. The twats that bring this club down dont deserve protecting what have they done to deserve that? If they are innocent and caught up in the middle of it then they will prove their innocence won't they but I'm fed up with everytime the club is getting somewhere s*** like this happens and drags us back down. That will put off potential signings players renewing contracts and even a new manager if that was to happen. The club work their nuts off to stamp this out and a few dicks ruin it all c

• April 23, 2013 at 09:05

Why are some of you still thinking trouble is caused only by some who turn up every now and then. I agree with most of the posts except for the grassing. My money pays certain people to do a job which involves looking after the public and it also helps those people get the best tools and technology money can buy. 3 more arrests this morning taking the total over 20 with another 50 estimated by the end of the investigation, apparently they will show the 70 people they want to talk to in the papers later this week. All, I might add, with their own intelligence.
    I bet a good percentage of those will be season ticket holders or members. Just remember, having a season ticket or a membership card only guarentees entry it's doesn't automatically exclude you from the trouble we sometimes get.
    I don't like it one bit, it causes more harm than good when these things happen and I'm fed up with silly men giving me a bad name, especially amongst some of em I work with, the Chelsea arsenal and Man U fans love nothing more.
    I wonder if its us who over hype the problem cause of the embarrassment it causes. A lot of clubs have had just as big a problem this season, how are their fans reacting to it? Not as dramatised as us I bet.
    But our club is millwall and no matter what good we do, in time it will all get undone by a moron or two. West ham do it regularly, they don't even need us to wind em up, they have big problems with spurs and Chelsea but they get away with it every time, they're as racist and as violent as we sometimes are, but you here it for only a day or two and its all forgotten but they have people high up in the fa who will defend them to the hilt even when they don't deserve it.
    Mud sticks

• April 23, 2013 at 09:22

I have an example of how thick and stupid some of our regular fans are, I don't know the official attendance but there was no more than 7000 of us. Sheffield Wednesday at home, the score 1-1 whith no more than 10 mins left, the ball ends up in the south lower and we look as though we are starting to get a bit of momentum, guess what the fcuking idiots behind the goal do, yeah, that's right, they decide to keep the ball. The ref ads another minute or two and hey presto they score the winner in the last minute of added time. No it isn't thuggery or bottle throwing but it was morons

• April 23, 2013 at 09:30

All the same.
      Sorry I pressed publish by mistake.
      I hope you get my point. We have a lot of wally regulars chaps, in all shapes and sizes, and a lot of morons who do stupid things like keeping the ball when we're desperate. I believe that incident contributed to us losing a point that night and its not the first time and certainly won't be the last. I even noticed KJ flap his arms in that direction at the time. Stupid things cost us time and again.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:30

Chaps we have all seen the picture of the Dockers with there caps on, 80,000 of them down the old den .They would not have put up with the Wembley s***, to be fair if it were people like them it would not have happened in the first place. They were tough guys, but they also had RESPECT for each other, something that is in short supply these days.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:45

I'm not saying all involved are part timers that can't be for certain but I bet they were the majority. Seeing as we took 30k and only 6k season ticket holders the majority were part timers. The trouble always happens at bigger games Leeds west ham palace and now even at wembley. I can safely say there will be no trouble tonight cos the 'fans' who support the Millwall image won't turn up to a Tuesday night game. These people still think its clever to have a tear up and it's got to the point where they don't even care if its with the opposition fans now.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:52

No the trouble won't be there tonight, we'll just have the idiots behind the goal trying to keep the ball. Same s*** different smell.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:55

Anyway I'm bored with this subject sure the rest of you are aswel, looks like we've covered every angle and we agree on two things, we don't want it at our club and we don't know how to stop it.

• April 23, 2013 at 09:57

Without getting into the right and wrong of grassing on people, I only really have the following comments / perspective.

Old Trafford 2004 was one of the best days of my life. My son was just a bit too young to go and all he has heard about from me and my old man since was what a great day it was and how it would never happen again, etc etc. Then to our surprise, we did get there again. My lad has been a season ticket holder for the last 6-7 seasons along with my old man and watched us at sh1t places like Oldham away, with the likes of Bas Savage playing. We live in a minority in terms of Millwall fans and he has always worn his colours with pride in the playground, despite the taunting of the plastic Man U / Arsenal / West Ham fans in the area. He loves the edge of the atmosphere we create and the stick opposition players gets - he doesn't get other clubs. The semi final was surely for fans like him - a high point amoungst a lot of aggro and mediocrity. Regrettably, his only memories will not be our team giving it a go against a premiership team, but of the p1ssed up c*ke heads who decided to have a fight over nothing three rows in front of him, or the "brave" group of lads who decided to gang up on a security gaurd and give him a kick in for no reason. Even the play offs were ruined a bit by the (in his words) flag wavers - who didn't give a s*** about nearly taking his eye out and obstructing the view. We will always attract these day trippers to the big games - but I won't be sad if the ones who couldn't handle their drink and started all the sh1t at wembley do get put away / banned from the ground. We don't need them and they will hold us back. The decent fans know how to create the unique atmosphere / have a good time, without stepping over the mark.

• April 23, 2013 at 10:00

I wonder why some of you go at all - you're so anti Millwall supporter.

Not surprised we don't get many at games - most of you doing your bit to reinforce the stereotype as you aid and abet Sun style corruption as your personal contribution to discouraging extra fans in

• April 23, 2013 at 10:19

I don't know whether that comment was aimed at my post Les - but my post does say that we are Millwall supporters. We took family to this game who had stayed away for one reason or another, and hoped to maybe get them hooked again - but I doubt they will be back any time soon and I have to say I was a bit embrrassed by it all.

• April 23, 2013 at 10:32

well done Essexwall you have hit the nail on the head they will find the morons who are guilty at Wembley and when they get banning orders and the club bans them for life at least we will be rid of them and Essex your right it is about the passion we have for the club and it is special no where like it in football its raw but that's the wall I've been supporting he wall since 1967 3rd generation and have gone thru the dark days in the seventies and eighties and loved getting the old division 1 the Auto windshield final but also I've been down the old den with just 2000 against Halifax and 2400 against Brighton on the good Friday in the old 3rd division. I have been nearly all the 92 grounds with the wall so I am not a Johnny cum lately and I must admit I only see the wall 4-5 times a year as I am exiled in Hartlepool . but the semi final left a nasty taste in my mouth as me and my son was only discussing that we should take his sons down the den and get them inducted but after the recent trouble his wife is not that keen so everything has knock on effect.

• April 23, 2013 at 10:35

Old Les is a a typical Hoffer. A keyboard warrior who condones violence no matter what as there 'real wall' Dont worry about the fact that it puts other people of coming regulary or severly pisses off true fans who go every week like me. I had some coked up t*** infront of me telling his mate this new signing is s*** - it was Jimmy Abdou. I would rather go Millwall and not get Cancer from needing a p*** at half time, but guess what, even though theres a smoking area. that wouldnt be 'real wall' would it?
    Nah real wall smoke, do drugs and smoke the place out when theres kids that have to use the toilet. My Dad got sick of going Millwall after about 40 years of going and is only properly getting back involved now. I could never understand why he stopped going but I am starting to now. The only reason I refuse to give in and pack it in is because then these morons win. All that we are Charlton b******* is ridiculous too. We arent Charlton we never will be Charlton. BUT we can be a much better version of Millwall. And last thing all this dont understand our history as Dockers were poor etc is nonsense. My Grandad was a very proud docker. The people who are doing this are in a different world nowadays. You telling me those 'men' dont have houses/cars/sky TV/ holidays etc?! Its not like there struggling to feed there families so take it out on someone on a Saturday. Thats proved my the amount of booze/coke that was consumed prior to the game.

Rant over

• April 23, 2013 at 10:41

If the cap fits Essex then wear it.
    You will not find a single word on here from me in support of fighting your own in the middle of your own let alone where there are children. But I won't condemn anyone without evidence of cause and effect.
    Neither will I subscribe to the Sun type hysteria on here from people (not you so much) calling for people to be grassed up the police. That is what they (not all but most) are suggesting - see above.
    I was at Wembley - all day long - had a lovely time no problems whatsoever but a few people unfortunately did. It's not good but stuff happens at football grounds everywhere but, for example, far worse scenes at Old Trafford are very quickly brushed under the carpet.
    To all of you get behind your own club and it's fans and show some courage by answering every negative with a positive (which Andy Ambler seems to find impossible) and promote this great football club and it's very unique support (thus doing your own bit to get the crowds in) or throw your lot in with the likes of certain people within the club who are intent of their own version of ethnic cleansing. If they get their way before too long there'll be no fans left.

• April 23, 2013 at 10:45

Paul you are an idiot. One of those who reads what he wants to read.
    Show me a single word where I have condoned the Wembley violence.
    Otherwise come down out of your own bum

• April 23, 2013 at 10:59

THE END

• April 23, 2013 at 11:02

HOF generalisation.

One serious question if your wife/son/daughter/grandchild etc got there face smashed in at Wembley would you want people to help find who done it? Or would you rather hide behind the fact its Millwall therfore acceptable for people who know who done it to say f*** all?

• April 23, 2013 at 12:28

@Paul:

Again I ask you where I have ever said it is acceptable?
      None of you have replied to any of my questions yet because you can't.
      Also would like to ask you if anyone's wife/son/daughter/grandchild had their face smashed at Wembley. A yes or no answer would suffice.

• April 23, 2013 at 12:38

So you don't condone it les but you don't wanna help the club get rid of these morons?! Yet you are a massive Millwall fan. Do you want the best for the club or do you want the best for these idiots that tarnish the club? The steward who took a pasteing would be a son of somebody. The fa and police need to take a look at themselves cos soon as the ko time was confirmed me and my mates knew there would be trouble but without the drugged up p*** heads there wouldn't have been an issue at all.
    How do you feel about bottle throwing? Is that ok? If not how do you stamp it out if fans don't identify the people doing it?! It's always people that can't handle there drink and have a line too many that cause the issues and the need to be outed cos they don't care about 'our' club.

• April 23, 2013 at 13:20

@cos_mfc:

Almost a good answer - the only one so far in fact.
      But I detect a hint of a tell tale in there after "bottle throwing."
      Whatever I might suggest should be done certainly wouldn't involve the police and there are people within the club I wouldn't involve as they, and we all know who they are, give a very good impression of having their own personal vendetta against Millwall supporters.

Tonight I suspect you will see the usual complete over reaction in East Upper with lines of aggressive ill trained stewards and bully boy police looking for every chance to haul someone out - and that will be out of an already half empty stand with end blocks that the club cannot even be bothered to put on sale.

Statistically I daresay the Den is one of the safest grounds in the country, which is always overlooked by the media hyenas and blamemongers that infest this site.

As an example to stop bottle throwing (and let's not forget this is a rarity at the Den far rarer than at any other grounds) would be perfectly simple starting with the easy measure of employing staff capable of pouring drinks into a plastic glass/cup which when this nation had manners was the civilised and polite way to drink - not out the top of a bottle probably p***** on by a rat.

Don't like you fascist language either - "stamp it out" next you'll be saying "root it out" like Harriet Harman of the Loony Left

• April 23, 2013 at 14:08

As an aside to the bottle throwing incident I remember being at a home game with Brentford in the late 60's when a WW2 hand grenade was lobbed onto the pitch. A policeman ran on and dropped it into a bucket of water. I can't remember the exact year but Chic Brodie was in goal for Brentford.
        How times have changed! Thought I'd mention that to try and lighten the atmosphere on this site at the moment.

• April 23, 2013 at 17:05

Sealion I've obviously just read your post, and I like what you have to say most times, seem a good bloke to me. Now, you say you was at a game in the sixties but use the brentford keeper as reference? Just thought it would have been easier to remember the millwall keeper, concise ring your a millwall supporter.
          Just thinking out loud fella that's all.

• April 23, 2013 at 17:36

yeh I could'nt remember If it was Alex Stepney or Lawrie Leslie, I think it was Stepney but I def know it was Brodie because it landed in his goal area and I had the picture in my scrapbook.

• April 23, 2013 at 13:51

So how would you put a stop to it?!

• April 23, 2013 at 14:09

Old Les,

Move on. It's not the 1970s anymore and the vast majority of ou fans do not seek a return to those days. Most of us are embarrassed by the morons who have attached themselves to OUR club and all you do is look for excuses for their inexcusable behaviour. You say that none of know what happened, that is true, but we know as much as the idiots involved trying to still convince anyone that there was a child pushed over when no such child appeared in any of the press photos or Youtube videos. The only child shown in any footage was crying and the majority of us, the respectable Millwall fans, realise that one child crying at a football match involving us because of the actions of morons is one child too many. Football should be an occassion for the family and the prescence of many women and children around The Den nowadays testifys the changing face of football that you are unable to change.

Well done for everyone else, when left reading only HOF or "North Stand Banter" you are left feeling resigned to a believe that the idiots are in the majority and can't be beaten. The majority of comments on this page prove otherwise and it is about time that News At Den or the club create a messageboard for the majority.

• April 23, 2013 at 14:31

@SE16 Wall:

This is getting boring. Another one who reads only what he wants to see.
        Show me exactly where I am looking for excuses as opposed to evidence and truth.

As for your rather silly comment ref HOF and North Stand Banter be assured far more Millwall supporters go on those sites than come on this.

I bet Aldi is well pleased with this thread about the first time he's got more than a handful of comments - even then most of them are mine.

• April 23, 2013 at 15:11

The thing is, Old Les, if you post as often as you do on as many sites as you do it ensures that others don't have to be Inspector Morse to form an accurate opinion on you.

You believe that The Den is a place where people should be allowed to do and say what they want regardless of how it affects the club. You are not a Millwall fan but someone who attends Millwall matches. Speaking as a Millwall fan, someone who cares about the club and it's reputation, I hope you keep true to the promises you have made on HOF and North Stand Banter to make this your last ever season and not renew your season ticket. I, for one, will not miss you, or your type.

• April 23, 2013 at 16:13

Hide the hand grenades 🙂

• April 23, 2013 at 13:51

I know you said plastic cups but that's not gonna happen cos the struggle to use a till let alone pull pints.

• April 23, 2013 at 14:23

A charged up bloke out of his nut on booze and drugs gets asked if he can politely calm down a bit cause it was affecting the mans son, he tells the dad to do one, tells him kids shouldn't come to a game like this and carries on, after a while the dad again asks if he can please stop for the sake of his son, no more words exchange, the man punches the dad in the face. The rest is history.

• April 23, 2013 at 14:57

No it isn't.
      In history you tend to know what happened next along with cause and effect.
      We're all still in the dark but the grass up merchants on here only to ready to throw bods to the coppers and pander to the gutter press - though the Sun is possibly their intelligence level

• April 23, 2013 at 16:30

Les, if there is anyone here pandering to the gutter press it is you. You are Millwall's worst nightmare. Someone who attends games but feels he has the right to do whatever he wants at them regardless of its effect on fellow fans and the club. And you also have the cheek to call the rest of us 'grass merchants'. You are a gift for the gutter press. You are part of the problem.

Your views are representative of a very small minority.

• April 23, 2013 at 16:58

Les my post was factual.
          It actually happened at wembley in the semi final of the fa cup millwall vs Wigan
          Yourself and others may still be in the dark but I for one am not. You wanted to know what happened well, I've just told you.
          Why are you intent on winding people up ? Your relentless. I'll say your intelegent by reading your posts, but relentless all the same. This article I may add is not the longest that has gone on on this site, and although you've given most a run for their money, I don't believe your the biggest poster on one article, your certainly the main cause of concern and very controversial, some of what you say I can relate to, but has to be said your border line nuts.

• April 24, 2013 at 14:57

@lukesmithmfc:

Didn't say you post wasn't factual I said you had told half a story.

I'm not intent upon winding people up at all or myself - you're all winding yourselves up because you're losing the argument hands down.

As for you I suggest you try and improve your grammar for starters and also don't stoop to silly name calling, as in "border line nuts" because you only make yourself look weak and devoid of ideas.

• April 24, 2013 at 16:06

Les apologies fella,
            But can we drop it now please I've had enough of the players taking the p*** out of us without us doing it to each other and we wonder why no one likes, we don't even like our selves.

• April 24, 2013 at 14:54

@junkmale:

And you mate are a complete fool. Yet another who reads what he wants to see.
          This is the stupid statement you have just made just in case you can't scroll back- "Someone who attends games but feels he has the right to do whatever he wants at them regardless of its effect on fellow fans and the club" Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

For your information I'm 68 and have been going to Millwall since before most on here were a twinkle I their father's eye. Never have I once been involved in a single problem or with the police at a football match anywhere.

Again I ask you to explain how you come to the conclusion from my above CV, or anything I have written on here that I feel I have "the right to do anything I want regardless....."

Come on explain in plain and simple English so we can all understand

• April 23, 2013 at 18:23

Being a Millwall supporter has got nothing to do with supporting these morons. No one is advocating a kangaroo court, with anyone in the vacinity of the trouble being strung up by their thumbs, but if they are proven to be guilty they are no loss. What goes on is nothing to do with ducking and diving to support your family or fighting for something you believe in. It's got nothing to do with Millwall's 'hard' image of the past. We are now considered a joke because of these berks. It used to be known, if you stepped out of line at Millwall, rightly or wrongly, you'd probably get a slap. Now other teams can just sit and laugh at the posers, screaming abuse, throwing bottles and basically behaving like c****. We are becoming what rags like the sun say we are.

• April 24, 2013 at 15:39

@Adsy77777:

What a lovely positive comment.

You're exactly the sort of person the Sun newspapers thrives on - no brains and slightly hysterical

• April 24, 2013 at 17:52

Les, did you not tell me off for name calling?
        Is telling someone they "have no brains" and are "slightly hysterical" not the same said thing?
        What's good for the goose and all that.

• April 25, 2013 at 06:25

Cop out. It's the same said thing les.

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: Google

• April 25, 2013 at 11:06

It's not the same thing.

I base my on observations evident from the written word - you just throw in silly names as "borderline nuts."

I have to be honest it did make me laugh - but mostly because you seem something of a fool. Have you got a university degree and do you vote Liberal? Just curious.

• April 25, 2013 at 12:45

It's funny les I thought about the Monster Raving Loony party, they need to replace screaming lord sutch, and I really believe your the ideal Suiter. Your probably the most intelegent poster I've read on this site, judging by your grammar, you seem something of a wordsmith. Just to let you know, I have a batchelers, not a degree but a cuppa soup.
    100 and out ; )
    All to easy lol

• April 25, 2013 at 13:34

Not really young man - you've lost again.
    Thank you for your kind remarks re my grammar but I'm afraid you need to catch up (with an old man).
    It's all too easy - not to. There's another lesson for you. And it's batchelors.
    Sorry to be so nit picky and I hasten to add that many of the brightest, nicest and wealthiest people I know have trouble with spelling.
    Most of them are old school South London and East London typical and traditional Millwall - very much of the ilk I daresay of the Millwall fans that the inadequates want to run to their friends the police about.
    One of your saving graces is that you don't (quite) appear to be one of those w******.

• April 25, 2013 at 13:47

Owe Leslie wy u b in sow orribal
    Nuffink rong wiv mi spelin
    Wots rong wiv u pryvit skool bods
    All wayz finkin ur write

• April 25, 2013 at 14:05

@lukesmithmfc:

If of course I went to private school.
      But then in my day the education system in this country sent most children out into the world with ability to communicate and add up without a calculator.

• April 25, 2013 at 14:53

If of ?
    Les, do I now reply
    Eff off ?
    Downt tri and cetch me owt or won weal av too b tel towling too mi thrends ; )
    On a serious note, what makes you think your that much older than Me?
    The one thing we have in common is we're both old saddo's who have nothing better to do than try and get the last word on this article

• April 25, 2013 at 16:50

@lukesmithmfc:

If you name is Luke then you're not very old

• April 25, 2013 at 17:08

"You" or "your" ?
        I was the only luke in any school or college I attended upto the age of 32 when, I attended college again, where their were three of us.
        It was one of the rarest boys name when i grew up.
        I'm catching up with you me old son but your still winning. ; )

• April 25, 2013 at 17:11

@lukesmithmfc:

I'm winning by a long way - on all counts.

And it's you're - as in abbreviation for you are.

Must go - and with apologies you're getting boring - not as boring as most on here who were probably prefects at school but boring nonetheless.

• April 25, 2013 at 17:50

You're wrong les.
    If I'm talking about something you own then, it's yours. I.e your name.
    Boring ? Maybe cause you've been played at your own game. Nit picking, if you were wondering.
    I thought you would have cracked a smile or two and wrote something with a bit of humour in it les.
    No need to get personal either, most of my posts today have been written in jest.
    It's been fun though les so for that I thank you.

• April 25, 2013 at 18:27

@lukesmithmfc:

Believe it or not I have to beg your pardon - you were right.
      It was my mistake I said "you name" and not your.
      I read through that one so I apologise to you for (in this instance only) for that and also for (in this instance only) of being like most on here and suffering from selective reading of someone's else's post.

• April 25, 2013 at 19:12

Excepted, only if you crack a smile.
        It's funny les, someone once told me that if you perservere long enough with someone who is right more often than not then, in the end they will get it wrong and if they get it wrong on more than one occasion they will without doubt admit they're wrong.
        Haha, just read through your post above but I won't go there you'll see it yourself (in this instance only) haha.
        You must have enjoyed it les.
        Anyway, godda gow mi batchelers cuppa soop iz get in cowld.
        Lol