Kevin Gallen helping out with first-team coaching at Millwall

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

FORMER QPR striker Kevin Gallen, the brother of Millwall assistant boss Joe, has been helping the club's coaching staff in recent weeks, NewsAtDen has learned.

The ex-England U21 international ran drills during the Lions' pre-match warm-up ahead of their FA Cup semi-final defeat to Wigan at Wembley last weekend.

But manager Kenny Jackett says the 37-year-old is unlikely to join his staff on a permanent basis as Gallen's work has been as much for his own benefit as it has been Millwall's.

Jackett said: "We have had more players in the first-team squad over the past two months, so we've needed another coach. It's that simple. Kevin's not on the payroll but is looking for employment.

"From his point of view, coming in for part of the week and helping us out when we are particularly busy is hopefully a stepping stone and good experience for him.

"He is taking his badges now – his UEFA B license, which is the start of the coaching pyramid. Being here has helped him gain confidence as a coach after his playing career.

"I very much doubt that's going to develop beyond the end of the season into a full-time position, but we hope we can help him along the way and he has helped us over the past few weeks."

85 thoughts on “Kevin Gallen helping out with first-team coaching at Millwall

• April 18, 2013 at 18:57

That explains our goalscoring heroics of late.

• April 18, 2013 at 19:07

I wouldn't offer him full time either if that's what we're getting, even if it is for nothing.
    So doing him a favour and getting him on the ladder comes at our own expense, why not let him learn for free with the academy boys.

• April 18, 2013 at 22:57

Kj is happy giving young coaches a chance but don't give any chances to our kids. Would rather sign s*** like hulse Tyson woolford.

• April 18, 2013 at 23:03

Sounds like he is only helping in the warm up lads, give the bloke a break! I would even try Carl Leaburn as a striking coach at this juncture, god knows our strikers can't get worse.

• April 19, 2013 at 00:14

I am just watching the Footballers Football Show on Sky with Andy Ambler, Darragh MacAnthony (Peterborough) and Simon Jordon. It's embarrassing how out of his league Ambler is. The other two guys, love them or hate them they are current, savvy and a million miles away with regards to business acumen and personality than Andy. He is so safe it's a joke and it explains so much with regards to our stance on the Chris Wood situation and the that followed with pony loans. Old school people running our club in a new world they don't understand.

This was an eye opener. Jordon maybe a t***** BUT he knows his stuff over Ambler ten fold. Says a lot. Says it all.

• April 19, 2013 at 00:36

Completely agree. Supposed to be representing the club but he hasn't got an ounce of charisma nor a character. Stale man = stale ambitions. He says we are aiming for the playoffs, yet when we were 5th what did he do? Oh yeah, brought in Tyson and hulse.

• April 19, 2013 at 01:16

With regards to AA I'm not exactly sure why criticism is being thrown his way with regards to the programme, he is a completely different character to both Jordan and darragh both of them are salesman. I certainly would not want our club run the way Jordan ran Palace. AA unlike the other is not egotistical, he isn't on that show to further his own career, he is there to defend the club and I certainly felt that he did that.

On another point yes AA has made some bad loan signings but I do believe he brought in a certain Mr Wood on loan before we tried to buy him and let's face it we would be bottom without his goals. Perhaps we did not go in early enough to sign wood but we have made many mistakes in the past, rashly signing players based on one or two performances.

Credit where credit is due, being chief exec of any football club after Saturdays debacle would be hard enough being chief exec at millwall after Saturday is being on a hiding to nothing.

• April 19, 2013 at 07:37

Spot on ! We have very ambious fans at the moment, we have the best set up at the den for long time even when theo paphitis was about, and can everyone get over chris woods please the bloke didn't want to join and his on mega bucks at Leicester, plus west brom didn't want him to join us.
      Have we still got David Livermore as a coach ? I would like to see down the den is a joe jorden coach or a di canio type nutter.

• April 19, 2013 at 08:19

All I see on here is people moaning how we had the chance to push on and we bottled it. Losing Wood was down to his choice and wages yes but what followed was a total joke. AA is JBs point of reference seeing as he lives and works on the other side of the planet.

Yes we are run well, yes we are in relatively good shape, yes we are just above the relegation zone in the championship and AA seems very content with that.

That interview proved to me beyond doubt that we will not do what's required to go up or even push for it.

AA may well be doing a good job I just do not find him interesting and with such a figure fronting a lot of business we do I can see where the lack of ambition stems from.

• April 19, 2013 at 07:41

Was mcanthony and Jordan both owners and therefore chairmen of their respective clubs? AA is chief exec and an employee, i would imagine that if you want a fair comparison JB would be our man. Also when Jordan left Palarse they were in administration and on the verge of going out of business, that's not very impressive to me.

• April 19, 2013 at 08:28

As for chris wood we offered him the same deal as Leicester, they didnt offer a penny more he went there as he thought they had better chance of going up and tbh his right as is being proved. Wages werent an issue. Simon Jordan is a complete w*****. Hate the bloke with a passion. Knob.

• April 19, 2013 at 08:47

Let's see how we get on next season with AA. There will be no 1m forward in the summer, there will be side ways signings, there will be no sign of any FA cup money or the wood money that we did not actually see. These are my predictions and I look forward to being proved wrong.

• April 19, 2013 at 09:09

You gotta understand the bigger picture, we don't have a million pound the coffin is empty, 5 million pound loss every year? That the chairman covers, and we never offered for woods I don't think we had a official bid, plus we can't support his wage that his was offered at Leicester, and why would you want to go up ? We would be beaten every week, we would then have to get more Journeymen in to help us stay up ? And you would all complain even more ! Plus we would invitee more idiots to the club wanting to fight each other, get real and look at the bigger picture! This season has been a success and we are now understand who an what we want at the club. " one step at a time "

• April 19, 2013 at 09:33

Thanks for the lesson. I do enjoy having my opinion given to me.

Just because your name is BUSH you do not have to be a minge.

I think I am capable of forming an opinion and understanding what I would like to see.

• April 19, 2013 at 09:52

That's not a problem chap, might change my name to Maggy thatcher for giving you a hard dose of reality, opinions will only get you so far, facts and figures get you places.

• April 19, 2013 at 11:12

Touché.

That tickled me.

• April 19, 2013 at 09:41

Totally agree with Bush, Club released a statement the other day stating that we had made a loss of 3 or 4 million pound last year compared to a loss the year before of 0.6 million and although Berylson was expecting it and has it covered, he wont go and let another couple of million be made available for players. Slow and steady is his philosophy, which is the right way if you ask me. What we need worry more about is keeping our best players, Henry had a good season by anyone's standards and if any club comes in with a half decent offer he will be off. Trotter looks like he will be on his way anyway (which isnt too much of a loss)

• April 19, 2013 at 10:50

We could of course spend what we don't have and go OOB, seriously guys this discussion is getting a bit stale. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine involves me being able to watch Millwall ten years from now and that requires stability at this critical time in the history of the Football League when budgets are out of control and we are yet to see the fall out of the spendspendspend era.

• April 19, 2013 at 10:55

AND, whilst I am on my Hobby Horse......we don't need a £1M striker, we need a GOOD striker who can score. There are plenty of £1M strikers out there that can take our money and not score goals, we need to find the hidden gems and prove that money don't make the team, there more important things like team spirit, desire, good management, development of talent, etc... that will deifne Millwals success in the future.

• April 19, 2013 at 11:23

Yeah true. Would be nice to see some good kids breaking through too, it seems like a long time since anybody of note has broken into the team.

I will stand by my original post though AA is flipping dull. I have recorded his interview to watch when I am struggling to get asleep at night.

• April 19, 2013 at 11:41

Banks I do have to agree it has been a long time since we had someone good enough, would you have Neil Harris back as a coach ? His not even making the starting 11, and as this page is about coaches.

• April 19, 2013 at 17:02

haha, well I never said he was interesting, just that I think he does a decent job as Chief Exec. Maybe he should buy a dodgy Simon Jordan wig to make himself a bit more entertaining......AAAaaarrrgghhh even imagining that hurts!

• April 19, 2013 at 12:17

I would give him a go, can't hurt can it. He obviously loves the club.

Does he have badges?

• April 19, 2013 at 13:54

Don't think kj would bring bomber in it'd be suicide. Soon as club is struggling fans would be calling for bomber to get the job. Won't happen IMO.
    Oh and I know for a fact we had bid accepted and offered wood the same wages as Leicester.

• April 20, 2013 at 09:54

In hindsight I suppose its for the best we missed out on Wood as he has looked poor of late.

Sort of understand why West Brom benched/loaned him out.

Obviously has the talent there, but inconsistent.

• April 19, 2013 at 17:05

I am not sure Bomber is ready yet to coach, I think he believes he should still be playing so he will not be in a rush to retire. Would love to see him at the Den, not sure I want to see him manage us though, we all know the boo boys will turn on him one day and I would not put up with that.

• Pingback: I will continue to focus on