Ambler: Millwall have bridges to rebuild after fan violence

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL chief executive Andy Ambler says the club's reputation has been "severely damaged once again" as a result of crowd trouble at Wembley on Saturday.

The Lions' FA Cup semi-final with Wigan was overshadowed by violent clashes amongst individuals seated in the Millwall end of the stadium, leading to 14 arrests with more expected to follow.

Ambler met with Football Association chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne on Monday morning to discuss the fallout from the incident.

Ambler said afterwards: "The reputation of our club, which over the last few years has been steadily and painstakingly rebuilt, has been severely damaged once again.

"We understand that there are now bridges to be rebuilt and if there are lessons to be learned from the weekend I'm sure all parties will be keen to take them on board."

Ambler said that the club had pledged their full support to both the FA and the police with regards to their investigations and that he was "determined that the perpetrators are brought to justice."

He added: "At this stage, we are still awaiting details of the arrests that have been made already and understand that the police will want to identify others.

"Similarly, they will seek to discover what caused the disorder to occur and we are grateful for all the correspondence we have received from fans who were as appalled as we were by what went on."

It is believed the FA have made clear that Millwall, as a club, are not under investigation. Horne said the governing body were looking into the disturbances on an "individual basis."

21 thoughts on “Ambler: Millwall have bridges to rebuild after fan violence

• April 15, 2013 at 17:16

We can thank our lucky stars if the last part is found to be true but personally if we don't get in trouble as a club then how will it stop, it will die down for half a yr before the next big "away" day or high profile home game. Can see the ticketing policy getting harder and the club doing nothing to get more people in the stands. Away days will be tougher to go to and I won't be surprised if other clubs take the LUFC stance. If buts and maybe's again fcuking t******. We've all criticised AA on this site and now we are begging he pulls us out the s***. If he does then we'll be eating out of his hands for a very long time. The press have been good up to now and I think for once they're seeing it for what it is and good to see today's papers are as focused on the Geordies as much as us. But lets not blame the press on which road they choose to go down this time, they've got every right to publish what they please as it was 100% the fans fault and yes, they know what type of fan they're talking about. I think our (real fans) saving grace could well be the sad and sorry picture of the poor little girl crying. This day was all about the kids, we've had our jolly ups and I for one was not interested in the p*** up, I done it in 99, Cardiff,Scunthorpe and Swindon. I even went to work before the game and left at half two. How some could tell parents they're mad to bring kids to a game like this is beyond a joke. The day was for them and them alone, we've been too many times lately for it to be anything less. When the court cases come up I hope some of em tell the judge they got done for defending the innocent children and women that got nothing but abuse thrown at them. Don't think for one minute I'm condoning what went on cause I ain't, I'm merely saying some of the arrests were of those defending the kids cause that's what it was all about, forget the stories of other supporters being with us that's a load of s***. And the charged up drunken yobs who where to blame will get their comeuppance big time. They owe those poor kids more than an apology. Let me tell you fcukers you ain't winning this one I'll get the season ticket for me and my boy you fcuking shitters, you ain't nothing and I hope you feel the shame when you look in your own kids eyes. T****** wind me up too much.

• April 15, 2013 at 17:49

Totally with you on this Luke
      As I said before, it's just p***** up tosspots, who you will find out in every town on every weekend.
      Nothing to do with Millwall or football.

COYL Watford next and 3 points needed

• April 15, 2013 at 19:25

Pretty much sums it up Luke. For all those complaining about the press, if you don't like what you read buy something else. The rags will have their say and say what they want to sell as many papers to their idiot readers who will believe anything they read. There is no defence for what happened on Saturday and unfortunately it is everything to do with Millwall as they were our supporters, albeit complete cretin supporters.

• April 15, 2013 at 17:34

Bit wordy that ^

• April 15, 2013 at 17:41

Couldn't care less mate to honest with ya

• April 15, 2013 at 20:27

Blimey Luke that was something to get my teeth into. Once again the voice of reason. Time to thank AA I think as he is working overtime to defend our club once more.

• April 15, 2013 at 19:28

Well said Luke, I agree 100%, and am glad that other supporters are clearly as p***** off as me, this has to change, but unfortunately I can't see how

• April 15, 2013 at 20:23

Well said Luke maybe the next time we get a game at Wembley it should be 1 ticket per season ticket holder and 1 per member if we only take 15000 at least we will know who they are , i was so gutted Saturday we lost on and off the pitch, i want people to like Millwall decent players to sign for us and keep JB and KJ if they go we really are in trouble.

• April 15, 2013 at 21:06

As a club we can not take just 15000 to wembley were not wigan, its a risk the club has to take in terms of the income it can create, it all just comes down to misplaced trust in untrustworthy 'fans'

• April 15, 2013 at 22:20

I took my 3 children, 12, 11 and 2 and felt safe. I took my 12 and 11 year olds too charlton. Am I a bad parent? Of course I am not. Millwall is my club, millwall is my kids club. We had a fantastic day out at Wembley and thoroughly enjoyed the game (not the result) did I feel safe of course I bloody did, there were 32000 millwall fans and it kicked off with 50 of them, we have a history and we are bred to stand up to violence. If trouble started around my children I would get them away from the small pocket of guys that want to fight. It's perhaps unfortunately part of being of being a millwall supporter I don't think fans of Arsenal, Fulham and Charlton have to pre warn their children what to do if it kicks off around them or worse still their dad is attacked but it's our club and we love it. Less than .05% of millwall fans at Wembley had anything to do with violence. There is nothing the club can do to stop this, there is nothing the fa can do.

• April 15, 2013 at 22:56

There is something more the club can do, but nobody will like it. We could make big match tickets available to Season Ticket holders and members only, as for away games. There is a big hole in that plan, my wife is a member, but rarely goes, so on a big match I get a ticket on her membership and give it to someone who then behaves like those on saturday. There is no check on who membership tickets are used by. The answer, Photo memembership cards. Told you no one would like it. What else can be done?
      Just seen the news with bloke that nicked the coppers hat, saying he shouldn't have done it and p****** him self laughing, glad he thinks its funny. Its the clubs name going through the mud again.

• April 16, 2013 at 09:30

100% agree Luke, im still sick to the pit of my stomach about those idiots and the poor children. Salt in wounds also when you get the flippant comments from CAFC fans. I am meeting the community scheme on Friday and want to work immediately in partnership with MFC to show the positive work this club delivers with margenalised groups to promote community cohesion and provide opportunities for progression. Got to stay focussed to get rid of this nasty taste in my mouth. I'm fully behind Millwall til the day i die 🙂

• April 16, 2013 at 00:50

I took my 2 grandkids, 10 and 7 to the game Saturday and apart from the result we all had a good day. If we sell only one ticket to ST holders for future big games I can't take them with me. Sell extra tickets only to ST holders and members who are then responsible for the behaviour of those who they get tickets for. I for one would never jeapordise my chance of supporting Millwall by getting a ticket for some d******* who doesn't know how to behave. It's a form of self policing. Why should everyone suffer because of the behaviour of a tiny minority of morons?

• April 16, 2013 at 09:15

What about allowing ST and members to buy one adult guest but only if they also buy a child ticket also.

• April 16, 2013 at 09:21

Also have some sniffer dogs at the gate and anyone found in possession of a certain white powder can be refused entry and handed to the Peelers straight away. Problem solved.

• April 16, 2013 at 10:27

The mere mention of the word 'Millwall' unfortunately generates hostility. Not just in the media, but also within the population in general. The scenes at Wembley were disgusting. Having said that, I note that the problems in Newcastle this weekend, though very serious, have taken second place to the issues surrounding Millwall, which sums it all up really.
    To me, getting rid of these so called 'supporters' from stadiums, irrespective of who they support, isn't that difficult. Every football supporter from every club is required to be a 'member' of that club. That involves photo ID, proof of address etc. You do what we saw on the weekend and are prosecuted and found guilty, you lose the membership permanently. Then, you can't disgrace real supporters in any stadium and we all breathe a little easier knowing that they are not there. Eventually, all scum are excluded from games and those that might be thinking about causing trouble will have second thoughts. It would be possible for these idiots to get tickets for 'ticket only' games from friends etc. but Police intelligence should be able to weed them out and I'd prosecute anyone who gives a banned member a ticket anyway.
    This is not a National Identity Card issue in my opinion but more of a necessity to keep Football and all sport in the UK free of these vermin who will now prevent families from going.

• April 16, 2013 at 11:25

Very good, well thought out point NICKOLA and in an ideal world i would be with you on this, but i don't think that the club would go to such drastic measures again and alienate the walk up and buy supporters as they represent a third of our gate on match days. I remember they made Millwall matches members only a good few years back (around 2002 I think) and it crippled our attendances and seriously diminished our away support, this was triggered by trouble at Birmingham. Some where in the middle probably needs to be actioned, but i don't have the answer, i don't think anyone does. I feel sorry for the club not to mention Millwall fan that cares passionately about the reputation of the club and what it stands for. This club has had to deal with worse hooliganism than that what happened on Saturday (albeit not has high profile in recent years) and the club will continue to try and build bridges and do the right things to alienate trouble makers and attract families, new support and one time regulars back to The Den. But the club needs to balance the books and cant afford to lose anymore home support.

• April 16, 2013 at 11:36

7 Windmills,
    I take your point.
    Maybe the ID card should cover ALL sporting events. Call it a sport card if you like.
    Anyone aged 65 plus is exempt.
    Football brings these yobs together. I don't recall any serious issues at Rugby, Cricket etc in this Country. Either way, with that sport card you can buy tickets as floating supporters by either showing it or quoting the issue number with a back-up pin code for example so I don't see that as an issue.

• April 16, 2013 at 14:07

All very well tightening the membership scheme but when you can buy tickets online for anywhere in the ground what's the point. Yet more season ticket b/s on here today. 5.15 k.o., lack of proper searches on entering the ground, open drug taking inside the ground with no police or steward intervention, no control on seating as per ticket, no police presence on the tube e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c. All these things need to be looked at but sadly the idiots will always find a way because a lot of them are season ticket holders, members, regular attendees at matches or friends of any of the above.

• April 16, 2013 at 15:00

Apparently a lot of the faces are known a few are season ticket holders so there are supporters who will try and defend there actions but if it where me and i thought my child was in danger I wouldn't start looking for a punch up , I'd move them out of harms way ......... i would ban everyone that threw a punch ST or not, that would be a start.

• April 16, 2013 at 19:29

It doesn't matter if these people are season ticket holders, members or just floaters.
    With an ID card-You misbehave-You lose the ID card. PERMANENTLY.
    No ID card- no ticket anywhere.
    Police seriously underestimated the potential issues at Wembley. They probably thought given the occasion that we all wouldn't be subjected to that. Lesson learnt.