Berylson: Millwall beaten but not embarrassed by Wigan

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

CHAIRMAN John Berylson insisted Millwall could keep their heads held high despite their 2-0 defeat to Wigan in the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday.

And Berylson believes the Lions may have been spared a humiliating thrashing by Manchester City, who beat Chelsea in the weekend's other last-four tie, in the final next month.

Latics midfielders Shaun Maloney and Callum McManaman struck either side of half-time to secure a deserved victory for the Premier League side at the national stadium.

"I am disappointed but they were better," Berylson said. "They had control of the ball for two-thirds of the game, their passing was crisp and they broke through us twice to score two good goals.

"They are a very opportunistic team. I thought we showed a lot of life for 20 minutes in the second-half because you can't just sit back and defend the whole time.

"So we did fine. Did we embarrass ourselves? Absolutely not. The key thing is to get back down to business, starting on Tuesday against Watford, and to put the FA Cup behind us."

Berylson added: "One of the people from the Football Association said to me after that the winner of this game has the right to get demolished by Manchester City in the final.

"That is not necessarily a great thing and I know what he meant because of what happened to my team, the New England Patriots, when we lost the Superbowl in 1986 by 46-10.

"We should never have been there – we weren't good enough. It took us ten years to recover from that defeat. Even though we were in the Super Bowl, all people remember is us getting killed."

4 thoughts on “Berylson: Millwall beaten but not embarrassed by Wigan

• April 15, 2013 at 14:44

well said Mr Berlyson I hope the actions of a those scum on Saturday doesn`t put you off being our chairman and you have the backing 100% of true Millwall supporters in what ever it takes to rid the club of these so called supporters and also k Jacket has our backing too.

• April 15, 2013 at 14:54

Obviously only part of the interview, as you can bet your bottom dollar he was asked about the trouble, and can't wait to hear or read his honest opinion on it.
    He's right, we didn't embarrass ourselves on the pitch and lost to a Wigan side that turned up. Lets hope we can sort our home form out as we have too many games left at the den to finish the season. Come on wall you owe the good honest fans a good honest run in.

• April 15, 2013 at 16:11

Just back this afternoon from after a great weekend back home in the Big Smoke.
    We did alright against a better side but as suspected we never looked like scoring.
    As for the idiots, I'm so glad I didn't take my little lad, the toilets were a joke, middle-aged+ men smoking spliffs, snorting coke e.t.c. like they were at school smoking behind the bike sheds, the sad f**** need to get a life. The tube journey was shameful, 55 and 60 year old morons screaming and shouting the F&C words in a carriage full of kids and tourists. I was on the opposite side of the goal from the trouble, but there were plenty of one brain cell morons around me and it's no wonder our home form is so bad given the dogs abuse some of our players were getting for the smallest of mistakes. Having said that, the vast majority of the support was magnificent and I'm proud to be Millwall and associated with the proper supporters.
    As for the season ticket snobs on here, we had all your s*** over the ticketing policy. Get over it, like a lot of supporters I have a life outside of Millwall that takes precedent. It was different when I was younger but I grew up. There are plenty of season ticket holders who understand this, including my mates who I went to the game with.
    There seems to be a lot of criticism for the media on here but from what I've seen and read in the decent press it's been quite well balanced, most people realise that it's a minority of cretins that taint our club. I just watched the after match coverage on ESPN and fair play to Ray Stubbs, Kevin Keegan and John Barnes for their reaction. Totally balanced and fair. This is because of the work the club has done being recognised by people within football.
    Tough game tomorrow night, but we'll get the win we need to stay up before the end of the season and then it's up to the Chairman to be honest with the fans for next season re our expectations.
    Love this club, COYL.

• April 15, 2013 at 16:36

Well said. We never embarrassed ourselves although reading some of our supporters comments on other stories, forums, you would think we got battered and played awful. If anything this cup run has taught me is this. F*** all this Millwall family b******* because were not. Millwall supporters can be the absoloute thickest people I've ever come across. We attract TOO MANY people that want to re create our fan base to get it back to how it was in the 80s. Difference is these days the youngsters are a bunch of poncy looking w****** who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.