Shittu worried crowd trouble will harm Millwall's reputation

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

DANNY Shittu believes Millwall's reputation could be severely damaged by the violent disorder seen during Saturday's FA Cup semi-final defeat to Wigan at Wembley.

The Lions, the Football Association and the Metropolitan Police have launched an investigation after crowd trouble broke out during the second-half at the national stadium.

Police say 12 people from the Millwall end of the ground have been arrested but said a "significant post-match review will take place to identify those responsible for committing offences."

Shittu said: "At this club, you can do five things right and then one thing wrong and it sets things all the way back again. Everyone has to behave. Those days are over now.

"But there is a minority trying to mess up the name of this club and it has got to stop. I am sure the chairman and the club will deal with it.

"This club is a good club, otherwise I wouldn't be standing here speaking to you as the face of it. It's a club that I believe in. There's a lot of good things at this club.

"I am trying to promote that side of things but when this sort of thing happens, it makes it so much harder and everyone will start believing the stereotypes again.

"It's not just the players who are representing Millwall, it is the fans aswell. They need to stop doing stuff like that. You should come to the game and be passionate about the team.

"You don't get anything out of fighting. They have to stop this now. We are trying to put Millwall in a good light and we have been doing that.

"I'm not here just to play the game – I'm here to represent the club. But we can't be doing our part if the supporters aren't doing theirs. The vast majority of our fans were brilliant."

23 thoughts on “Shittu worried crowd trouble will harm Millwall's reputation

• April 15, 2013 at 00:38

No s***!

• April 15, 2013 at 00:39

Happened before you shitt and unfortunately it looks like it'll happen after you.
    So many do so good for my club and all have come up short through no fault of their own. There's no answer to it, if they want to they will and obviously do. JB will be the next one to go probably before KJ, and we'll be back in league one struggling to stay up.
    All the questions about why this player or that player, loans instead permanents have now been answered. The dead wood that are out of contract this summer will go. Those whose contracts that are up next summer will probably run down unless their agents are looking for other clubs and we'll fall short of squad numbers and we'll have more dead wood and loans that no one else wants.
    Why does it all sound all too familiar ? Oh yeah, I support millwall, cause that's what we do.

• April 15, 2013 at 07:35

It's not real Millwall fans , it's the once a season dickheads who do this. I guarantee ( and I say this with no proof ) not one season ticket holder was involved. There's no foolproof answer to this , if someone or some people want to cause trouble , they always can and will.

• April 15, 2013 at 08:23

Someone I know who is in every shot in the newspapers and Internet (who may I add is not fighting, just unlucky to be in the area) told me it was all started by two rival sets of young gangs, one from Peckham and one from Bermondsey! Nothing anybody can do to stop little cocksuckers fighting if they are hellbent on doing it!

This is the final nail in the coffin with regards to sponsorship etc imo. Some dark years ahead I think. Tut!

• April 15, 2013 at 11:12

First it was because westham were there, now its gangs from peckham......
      A drunk man knocked a kid over and refused to say sorry end of

• April 15, 2013 at 12:08

Banksy has hit the nail on the head the drunk bloke pushing the kid is the real reason it kicked off. Yes there were spammers in the Neutral section and a dust up outside the ground between the two "gangs"

But that doesn't discount the fact that the other 34988 millwall fans that came did not cause trouble plus I didn't see any of ours giving a horse a slap....

• April 15, 2013 at 08:59

Same old, same old. We'll never achieve anything as a club while we continue to have these morons attend our matches, especially when we're on the telly and the world's eyes are on us. I dread these sort of games cos we all know what'll happen, don't we? The media are there waiting and hoping and thanks to a handful of mindless, demented idiots, they get what they want and the other 1000s of decent 'wall supporters are tarred with the same old brush.

• April 15, 2013 at 09:31

your right Bolland the club have worked hard to shed the image of the dark days and we all thought I was behind us. hopefully they catch those involved and if they want to fight put them on a plane to Afghanistan and they can fight the Taliban it would turn them into men not scum.

• April 15, 2013 at 10:58

I did 4 tours of ganners mate and trust me they wouldnt last 5 mins out there, terry taliban would just take the p*** out of them and say is this all you got.

• April 15, 2013 at 09:37

As long as they get caught, nicked and banned for life from every club in the country that would be a good start. They should be made to write a letter of appology to Wall, Wigan and the FA but they will probably say you cant write letters on an xbox and whats a pen, cant we just go on Jeremy Kyle....

• April 15, 2013 at 12:06

Been seriously hurting after the events on Saturday, the result was expected and we had a handful of chances to score but didn't. To beat the idiots we have to stick it out longer than them, gonna renew my season ticket this month and do the same for my family. It'll be a cold day in hell before I let some drugged Hoolies chase me away from the club I love.

• April 15, 2013 at 12:17

Well said, Glyngo, and I hope those beer soddened, drug crazed arseholes never darken our doors again. It's sad that the remaining 30, 980 good & loyal supporters at Wembley didn't get a mention for their impeccably well-behaved attendance. Also, something else which didn't get a real mention is the stupid kick-off time which allowed all fans to get rat-arsed & the boasting by the FA for their alcohol sales. I'm not trying to make excuses or offer mitigating circumstances for these few mindless individuals, and let's face it, a very few 20 or so twats amongt 30,000+ well behaved 'wall fans, but, imo, these game should be played at either lunchtime or no alcohol inside the ground.

• April 15, 2013 at 13:06

I agree with you on the kick off time,1 o,clock would off made more sense but as for the alcohol there's no reason why the majority who enjoy a beer should be penalised by a small minority who can't handle it. I had a good p*** up at Wembley and enjoyed meeting other wall fans I've never met before but I didn't go around giving it the large like a couple of other p***** I saw. The behavior of some so called men in front of women and children was appalling.

• April 15, 2013 at 12:20

To be fair, he's absolutely right. We can do as many good things as you like at Millwall, but the press are just waiting for incidents like this.

There's no doubt the club has to do something about the parasites who come along to the big games just for the sniff of some trouble. It happens every time in the league or cup - I remember large numbers of lowlife at the play-off finals too. Maybe we just have to accept that its one ticket per S/T holder and member for these games.

But just as important is overcoming the minority of regulars who still seem to think this is what Millwall is all about - just take a look at HOF to see how many idiots we have supporting our club. Each time these things happen (Ipswich, Luton, Leeds, Derby, Birmongham - the list is endless), our club is damaged and support suffers. We were never such a small club at this level, but we just don't seem to be able to keep up with other clubs anymore to pull the fans in.

Time has moved on, we don't have to lose our atmosphere or attitude, but its not the 70's or 80's anymore. We'll never be able to survive at this level unless we do something to stop this keep happening again in the future.

• April 15, 2013 at 12:44

It makes me wonder whether its worth going or taking my daughter to games anymore! Where we were sitting two members of the same family started rucking with each other just 3 rows in front if me!! I just can't see how the club can recover from this, this isn't 10 steps back its a hundred step backs and it will continue this way whilst we have muggy idiots who just want to get p***** up and have a fight with each other supporting the club!!!

• April 15, 2013 at 13:22

The club won't survive because we won't have a new generation of fans. Parents won't bring their kids down and it's been hard enough for the club to sign young children as it is without this s*** happening!!! The club do what they can to stop this sort of thing and we can make as many excuses as we want (drink, drugs, west ham, Chelsea fans, full moon etc etc) but the buck stops with the individuals who continue to drag the clubs name through the dirt!!!

• April 15, 2013 at 13:54

For years i have had a inch thick skin cause thats what you have to have when you say you support millwall.I can never defend this though, and feel ashamed and we have gone down in history as the first and, most likely, last club to have a bust up at wembley.The chairman most likely wants to sell up but who wants to buy millwall ? Its gone beyond saying they are not true supporters, try saying that to rest of football fans or the FA, who, surely will whack us with a massive fine and perhaps 10 point deduction ? Of course wood or other decent players wont sign, we can only get temp players who dont give a t*** and no one else wants. As someone said, what about sponsership now ? As a chelsea friend said a few weeks ago,dont want you lot up with us,tongue in cheek but meant underneath.
    This has set us back for ever because it was at wembley and seen around the world.
    Millwall is always my club has been for so many years.....but if only could get rid of scum from this club who are not true but wear the badge.

• April 15, 2013 at 17:42

Here's one for you. I took my son to Wembley on Saturday so he could go and see the mighty Lions for the first time, like many thousands of Millwall supporters did and I was proud to do so. Halfway through the match it didn't matter that we were 1-0 down he turned to me and asked if we could come more often as he got the bug with the atmosphere, singing, chanting, banter between the fans etc, etc as we all did when we first went to a Millwall game. But after that it took me back to my childhood, but for all the wrong reasons. Its a generation thing i'm afraid, (WARNING: I'm going to sound like a snob here) you get respectable parents turn with their children to watch the game support the boys, their version of a true Millwall fan as their parents did before them and those kids will do the same for their kids. But equally you get mindless buffoons that turn up with there kids wanting to blood them in ways of what they see as their version of a true Millwall fan as did their mindless baffoon parents before them and they will do the same for their children and so on and so on. I don't doubt their loyalty to the club and their money is as good as anyone's, but It will never change because these p***** keep turning up generation after generation. Deep down, anyone whose been going to Millwall over a period of time will know that it will never change....Lets hope those idiot don't keep the good folk away but attract the wrongens.

• April 15, 2013 at 17:59

The only way to stamp it out is to stop the Neanderthals from breeding!

• April 15, 2013 at 18:16

Have just read all the replies and have to say it's a great shame that the press don't read them as well and then perhaps realise that most Millwall supporters are in fact intelligent people who just happen to come from south east London. We are passionate about our club and feel the anger of these idiots actions more than any outsiders. The thugs will not beat us but I fear we will never lose them.

• April 15, 2013 at 19:15

Maybe you're reading the wrong press? Everything I've read has been balanced, well thought out and pretty fair. The focus has been on the minority of idiots rather than 'all Millwall fans'.

• April 15, 2013 at 19:26

I'm reading lots of the press but I didn't write 'all Millwall fans'.

• April 15, 2013 at 19:28

I'm reading lots of the press and I didn't write 'all Millwall fans'.