Jackett proud of Millwall's efforts despite defeat to Wigan

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett insisted he was proud of his players despite their 2-0 loss to Wigan in the semi-finals of the FA Cup at Wembley on Saturday.

Shaun Maloney and Callum McManaman scored goals either side of the break as the Lions' run in the competition came to an abrupt end at the national stadium.

Jackett's men rallied after half-time and, when McManaman added the Latics second, it was during their best spell of the afternoon.

"We had a 20-minute spell where we put pressure on them," Jackett said. "We needed something to fall for us – a rebound came off Mark Beevers and could have gone anywhere.

"Perhaps we could have had a penalty decision as well. We needed to get back into the game during that period. The first-half was tough for us but we defended sterlingly.

"When you're playing against a side from a higher division, you must make sure that you are always in the game, and we did that.

"Wigan scored a very good goal on the break which killed the game for us. But I'm very proud of my players and of their efforts to get this far in the competition."

Jackett felt Latics striker Arouna Kone was the difference between the two sides: "He was coming off our two centre-halves and bringing their midfield into play. We needed to stop him linking things.

"We know he's a threat over the top but, if you look at the first goal, he came short, turned Beevers, flicked it over his head and produced an excellent ball, with great weight.

"He was excellent. The fact that he repeatedly linked the play made it very difficult for us. You have to hang in there during periods like that and the fact it was only 1-0 was a positive for us.

"We have some big league games coming up so we have to move on quickly."

22 thoughts on “Jackett proud of Millwall's efforts despite defeat to Wigan

• April 13, 2013 at 21:33

F*** it

• April 13, 2013 at 21:42

Personally I'm very proud of the boys KJ put millwall out to start and we did ok for what we are. I don't think we mugged ourselves off one bit. Full credit to KJ and the boys. Taylor smith dunne and beevers well done boys I can't choose between you's. I ain't in the mood for anyone to question me as I'm f***** off cause they've done us again, 99 and all that, so post your opinions and leave negativity towards mine well alone please chaps, cheers.
    3 off the drop with some funny results today and one f****** huge game on Tuesday, so please if you can go just turn up cause we need to make these home games of ours a fortress and unfortunately the 7/8000 really can't do it on their own, lets back em lads cause I'd rather this s*** than league one s***.
    Unlucky lads and good luck last six.

• April 14, 2013 at 07:29

Wigan were simply a class above us yesterday but no wonder they struggle in the prem as they really didn't attack in numbers. Plenty of breaks but I never thought they were going to score a hatfull, especially from set-pieces.
      I thought Taylor was our most threatening player and felt if anyone, we would score from his efforts.
      As for the fans, atmosphere was great in the cheap seats and what are "real fans" anyway. I'm not a season ticket holder but I go to games when family circumstances and money allows.
      There is a snobbish attitude among our faithful, which hardly encourages other to go regularly.
      Don't sit down, down wear colours, blah blah f****** blah.
      I support Millwall, thankfully one of my kids support Millwall, we go to games, we sing and cheer, we get upset when we lose, so if that aint a real fan, then f*** off.
      Even chritians have realised that you can't make people confirm and it's best to let them worship in their own way.
      Reg

• April 14, 2013 at 09:44

Reg I thought the atmosphere was good I was half way so prob had a better chance to hear us, we sounded good. I ain't a season ticket holder either and like you I go when I can, when er in doors allows me. Funny enough you say you was in the cheap seats, i was in club wembley and you still paid more than me, and i aint posh or snobby in any way. we gotta get behind the boys in the league cause I think we're in the s*** and maybe we can help the boys out. Just my opinion reg.

• April 14, 2013 at 10:06

Where's the venting coming from reg?
          If you have read my post bellow about where I was sitting and you believe me to be a snobby posh mug with a season ticket then you couldn't be further from the truth mate. Or if you read my post above and thought I was a snobby posh mug with a season ticket cause I wrote the 7/8000 need help cause they can't do it on their own then again, you couldn't be further from the truth.
          Just trying to understand your point
          Reg and where your coming from.
          Real fans ? I'm a real fan cause I go when I can, boro away Wrexham away wolves at home Carlisle at home Yeovil at home not just the fa semi or play off final at wembley. Just like you reg, when we can.
          Apologies if I've got my wires crossed
          Reg.

• April 14, 2013 at 17:26

Apologies for crossing the wires
            Not a vent at anything said on here, yesterday was an eye opener cos I had my little lad with me for the first time.
            Our biggest asset is our fans but also our downfall.
            I'm not talking about the trouble nor the bad language or abuse handed out to the oppo (It's what I love about us(.
            There is an underlying snobbishness from a minority of our fans who for some reason believe that their way of supporting Millwall is the only way. and anyone who does not comply are not "Real Wall". No wonder they turned on each other yesterday
            Luke you are right, we are in the s*** and I believe likely to go down, we can't score for love nor money.
            The support could get us out of it, but do you what, I fully understand those that stay away regularly, being made to feel like s*** by other fans. It's time we stood together and got behind the team we all love (in our own way)
            Rant over "COYL"
            Reg

• April 15, 2013 at 00:02

I'm with you on that reg. it's almost like you have to justify why you don't go every week. I went last Tuesday with a friend and the bloke next to him said to me long time no see, I couldn't be bothered to tell him I sat in a different part of the ground and been a few away games since I last see him, but I felt he was giving a little dig. It's funny, end of the game he looked at me and said its my fault we lost. You know what there's a lot of people like that and I've always felt they keep some people away, and the ones involved with the trouble yesterday keep most of the others away
            The rest are either retired or banned.
            There'll be no atmosphere again on Tuesday and not a big crowd. might get a lively one against Cardiff or Forrest but bet your life come the Tuesday night against palace we'll have 14/15000 with 1500/2000 palace and so there should be, but there should be 11000 odd for the remaining games and the club should offer us more but after Saturday we'll get f*** all. And people like that bloke last Tuesday will end up making another stupid comment just cause he thinks his is more valid due to his season ticket. His little digs are as predictable as the players performances.

• April 13, 2013 at 21:43

Despite everything that's happened thus far, KJ will always have my respect. Sign that contract Kenny, you know it makes sense!

• April 13, 2013 at 22:17

Sorry having none of that, just what I expected we were as woeful up front as we have been all year. I have been out all day, seeing young kids and mums and dads looking forward to a good day. But you could feel the apprehension in the crowd, no singing, no atmosphere, and that I afraid is down to the players to raise the crowd. I just think what we got is what we expected.I really sometimes think this club does not deserve the support it gets.

• April 14, 2013 at 00:41

Sups - whilst I agree with most of your comments, does the club really deserve the support???
      Seriously u gotta be joking!
      And after all the hard work, it takes one big game for all the p***** to ruin everything again.
      Shame on them

• April 13, 2013 at 22:31

Just getting home and am still in state of disbelief?? Thought the empty paces in the national stadium were an embarrassment!! Thought the atmosphere was dreadful and think the fans turned just for the sake of it, already resigned to being beaten and just happy to have made it that far?
    The team were a yard of the pace and think some of them froze really. Wigan used the the size of the pitch to pull us apart and we were so square at the back it was unbelievable. As has already been said our attacking options are laughable and we never really looked like scoring even in our 20 minute period!! As for the p*****, Sky TV especially, are revelling in it. 10 arrests, 10 arrests!! They'll be more than that before kick off tomorrow and they won't report a f****** thing. Well done you morons for giving them the ammunition they crave. Back to league survival, but don't hold your breath if you think the club will spend this money in the summer. For over 40 years I've seen them ghost TV money and transfer fees into the ether. It'll be more of the same next season.
    Well done wall you still make me proud to support you though.

• April 13, 2013 at 22:43

Thought the atmosphere was good to be honest, hard to get 32,000 people singing in time, especially when 20,000 if them didn't have a clue about anything remotely Millwall. But think we managed ok. Just a shame about the trouble, did I expect it? Yes , but not to that extent. All got abit embarrassing and looks bad on the real supporters who actually go to matches.

• April 13, 2013 at 22:48

I think we should have started 2 upfront (perferably batt) as taylor was pressuring the defense with keogh leaving lowry exposed on his own facing 2 players. When hulse and trotter came in they were both lazy and slow. I still cant understand why st ledger played the full 90 mins, he cant pass! But honestly wigan are a good side, without kone tho we would have a much better chance of winning

• April 13, 2013 at 22:50

Well done lads you done alright today! Wigan are a good club! Thanks for the day out. The only thing that bothered & embarrassed me today is them so called millwall fans smashing the f*** out of each other. They ain't millwall. Real millwall are down at the den week in week out! Guarantee us safety this year lads and hopefully make wembley in the playoffs next year. COYL!

• April 13, 2013 at 23:34

KJ should have switched formation at half time, it was clear that 451 was giving Wigan too much time on the ball and they played us all first half. When we did go 442 how much better we looked but i still would have brought Batt on over Hulse.

• April 13, 2013 at 23:34

Just watched highlights and what a f****** shame. Absolutely gutted, and can't understand what and why. For what reason did they have to kick off? And with each other.
    I was sat half way in club wembley and I honestly didnt see a thing. My daughter called to tell me and I actually said nothing happened but f*** me how wrong was I.
    Gordon strachan your a top bloke. Thanks for your honesty.

• April 13, 2013 at 23:57

Having just watched the highlights, it seemed closer than during the actual game. I think we made a go of it in the second half, but with our forward-line, we were always going to need a bit of luck. Ultimately, we simply looked like the struggling Championship side that we are.

As for our support - yes it was subdued, but its always hard to lift the atmosphere against a half-empty opposition end. As for the trouble - personally I think we had as many day-tripper idiots at the Play-Off finals too, but luckily it never kicked-off. Funny how it it was nothing like that up at Old Trafford when it involved a 200-mile trip and we just had the season-ticket holders and members.

• April 14, 2013 at 10:59

Spot on. Start to finish.

• April 13, 2013 at 23:58

Oh I forgot,
    Don't fcuking moan about how s*** we are and why we make s*** signings and play a lot of s*** football and KJs a s*** manager, just look up, open your eyes and take a look at what's in front of ya next time you brush your teeth.
    You've just cost us a f****** fortune. League one ? You bet your life. That's the minimum the fa will give us.
    Thanks a bunch

• April 14, 2013 at 00:38

Once again dead right Luke. I cannot believe what I witnessed. Firstly a punch up with ten or so, so called Millwall in block 527. Secondly just before half time more fighting in the concourse. And then more mindless p***** in full view of all the cameras.
      What a complete bunch if w****** they really are. You may not realise that the cost of their little escapades will cost the difference between an average midfielder and one who may be able to make a difference.

• April 14, 2013 at 07:13

You guys both got it spot on. We all talk about signings and why players choose other clubs over ours, such as wood... Well today was your answer. Why would anyone want to come to a club where the alledged 'fans' are fighting each other on one of the biggest days we have had recently. We portray the worst possible image as a club when this is not our true support that turn up week in week out. We sit there on the snowy New Years game against Preston when 5000 turned up, a cold tues night when we got beat by posh, and every other game in between, then these morons come out on our big day and ruin it, thanks a lot.
        About the game tho... Last night I said it was not good enough, but one day on I want to say that I am proud of the players, they gave everything but were just not good enough on the day, we was a yard off the pace, but with how we are playing in the league I'm not surprised. We now need championship survival, and to build on this for next year. That is if the owners, manager and playing staff haven't had enough and f*** off after today's events.

• April 14, 2013 at 19:10

Disappointing day all round for me really 🙁