Henry relieved to return from injury in time for Wigan tie

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

MILLWALL winger James Henry insists he is fully fit to play 90 minutes against Wigan at Wembley on Saturday if called upon.

Henry returned from a knee ligament injury with a 35-minute cameo against Sheffield Wednesday in midweek and says he feels in tip-top shape ahead of the FA Cup semi-final with the Latics.

"It was really important that I got some game time on Tuesday night and I'm feeling really good," he said. "I feel 100 per cent. I don't feel like I've lost any fitness really.

"It might have been different had my injury been at the start of the season but I have already played 35-odd games. I missed four weeks but I've already been outside and running for two of those.

"I haven't lost too much fitness and that's important mentally for me. It was a race against time and it was one of those where I might make it, I might not. Luckily I've managed to recover just in time."

Henry had been told his season was over after being stretchered off against Leeds United in March and owes his speedy recovery to the club's physiotherapist Bobby Bacic.

"At the start I had a lot of rest because my knee was in a brace," Henry said. "I was just sitting down, watching TV and eating. I went to Cyrpus for three days but then it was straight back to work.

"I was running most days during my rehab and doing strengthening programmes. Bobby has done a fantastic job and it feels great to be back.

"I'd prepared myself for the fact that I'd miss the rest of the year so this was the luck I needed. This has probably been my most consistent season to date and hopefully I can pick up where I left off."

Henry attributes his impressive form to the influence of boss Kenny Jackett, who the winger believes could manage at the top level in the future.

"Kenny has been fantastic," Henry said. "He has given me a lot of freedom, worked on the defensive side of my game and on my fitness as well.

"There are some massive teams in the Championship now and sometimes it is nice to go under the radar. I am sure he would be happy with that.

"But I don't see why he couldn't manage in the Premier League – he's done a fantastic job at Millwall and I think he could go to most clubs and do a good job."

Arguably Jackett's greatest achievement at The Den would be to lead the club to an FA Cup final, but Henry admits that will be no easy task against Wigan.

He said: "We are under no false illusions – we know it is going to be a tough game because they can beat any top Premier League team on their day. But we are going to put everything into it.

"Jean Beausejour gets a lot of their play going and Arouna Kone runs the channels well. We've done our homework on Wigan but we'll try to impose ourselves as well.

"The FA Cup is a massive platform – you can see by the media attention how big a competition it is. It's probably the biggest cup competition in the world."

23 thoughts on “Henry relieved to return from injury in time for Wigan tie

• April 12, 2013 at 10:50

Good job he is back as we lost chaplow my starting x11 for saturday: forde,dunne,beevers,shittu,lowry,st ledger,abdou,c.taylor,henry,keogh,batt

• April 12, 2013 at 12:26

I can't really disagree with your line-up, Levy, except that, if fit, Del boy should be in the side but if not fit then i'd like to see Chris Taylor playing in a central role instead of wide on the left with Feeney, not my favourite player, out wide and St Ledger on the bench. I just think the wider playing might suit Feeney and his pace.

• April 12, 2013 at 13:10

I'm tremendously pleased Henry is back. Our chances of winning would be much slimmer without him.

• April 12, 2013 at 13:12

Interesting choice going for Batt to start Levy. He might cause some problems early on with his pace but I can't see him doing it for a whole 90 mins.

• April 12, 2013 at 14:14

Has everyone forgot what a pile of s*** batt is?! He's seen as the saviour, he is awful. All he has is pace no ability whatsoever!!
    Says alot about kjs transfers of late. We've never replaced Morison. Even Henderson, he was leaving to rejuvenate the strike force supposedly and all we've signed are players just as old or injury prone with even less ability. I'm not happy with the way kj wastes money but I'm still gonna be there tomorrow like any other game cheering the lions on. Miiiiiiiillllllllll

• April 12, 2013 at 14:18

Does anybody know where we can find last seasons keogh?!

• April 12, 2013 at 14:31

More fans slagging off batt, his been on of the most unluckiest players we have had, and he was good when fit, and if you like it or not was gonna partner Morison upfront when we went up, and if you still can look that far back with s*** strikers Morison was the worse we ever had, until we beat mk dons 3 - 2 at home and he changed, Encouragement I needed, not abuse!

• April 12, 2013 at 15:01

bush, you give your oppinion, let others do the same, thats what this site is about

• April 12, 2013 at 15:11

I'll be annoyed if KJ plays Hulse cos the man's done absolutely nothing since he's been with us and I'd rather see Marquis or Batt cos at least they're 'wall players.

• April 12, 2013 at 15:48

Borders best option we have up top for wembley, it's fact not an opinion!

• April 12, 2013 at 17:51

Don't rate batt same as I don't rate n'guessan. Not footballers more athletes. I hope I'm wrong about batt but he genuinely has no ability. He was ok back then when we got promoted but that was how long ago now?! The club should have moved on to better players by now but through poor transfer dealing we haven't. I know Easter can't play but tues I'd like to see him and keogh up top cos think they'd work well together as they both have movement. I hate hulse but I think he has to start tomorrow as we have nothing better. Sad.

• April 12, 2013 at 17:53

Wright and marquis dropped and tampon tyson in KJ what is your thinking there he will get injured getting off the bus send him back

• April 12, 2013 at 18:44

Good to see Henry back will cause problems for Wigan if we get right on em we have a good chance, the whole team need to graft, Shittu will need to keep our back four tight, don't know where our goals are coming from but we can beat this mob we need to get behind the best team in London and reach that final. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii COYL

• April 12, 2013 at 18:46

bush, its oppinion mate, fact is when something actally happens

• April 12, 2013 at 19:41

It did happen ! Can tell your having a ladys day out at wembley now get back in your arm chair, the season we were promoted to the championship Morison miss a head on the goal line Staines and everyone wanted him gone, then after January he starts to get a feel of the league and his aggression levels, pace, and simple things like taking it on his chest, as for hulse what difference his cv have to Hendersons on paper ? Ok his misses quite a lot, bad misses but Henderson had double relegation i think dont hold me to that, and was a sick note but came good for us, jacketts signings are strange but effective on stats and paper like it or not.

• April 12, 2013 at 21:14

For every good signing there are dozens poor signings. As for day out as a st holder I'm well entitled to that. Yes Morison was poor to begin with but kj stuck by him and had to teach him a thing or 2 about playing professionally. Batt has been around for a while a never made it and never will. 3 goals in 13 games in league 1 is hardly tearing it up. Batt will leave on a free this summer and join orient and within a couple seasons they will move on. How u can rate him is beyond me yes he has pace but he can't control a ball which is pretty important. For a man of 6ft plus is s*** in the air and a gust of wind could knock him off the ball. He can't pass or shoot but yes you are right he could come good.

• April 12, 2013 at 21:41

Lets enjoy Wembley win or loose then we can deal with Snotford on Tuesday COYL

• April 12, 2013 at 22:09

@cos never made it because he was injured, had a run in the team to get us promoted second half of the season playing out wide 17 games 3 goals (wiki) never has been ? Promoted the season before with Peterborough, so bought from the championship club, 18 month of injurys and you expect him to score every game, his more useful then others that's all I was saying, his not got a bad record.

• April 12, 2013 at 23:07

No I don't expect him to score every game that's the trouble I expect him not to score every game and that's the trouble.
    Anyway f*** the politics, bring on tomorrow and another European tour!!

• Pingback: acne cyst

• Pingback: blog home

• Pingback: dating

• Pingback: facial tissue making machine