Jackett: Millwall "threw away" precious points against Owls

© Ian Bines
© Ian Bines

KENNY Jackett was left frustrated after watching Millwall let a winnable game against Sheffield Wednesday "slip through their fingers" at The Den.

Chris Maguire scored a stoppage-time winner in South London to snatch a dramatic victory for the Owls, who had been on the back foot for long spells in the second-half.

But Jackett felt his side only had themselves to blame for failing to capitalise on what he described as a dominant performance after Jimmy Abdou's opening goal.

Miguel Llera equalised five minutes before half-time but goalkeeper Chris Kirkland kept the visitors in the contest, making vital saves from Jermaine Easter and Sean St Ledger.

Jackett said: "Sheffield Wednesday are a big side and good at set-pieces and we've conceded twice from set-pieces. It looked like David Forde missed the flight of the ball for the first one.

"The second one we conceded from a corner when perhaps we were sleeping at the near post. The runner came out and lost his man – he shouldn't have got across us but it was a smart finish.

"For large parts of the game we were in control. Abdou and Sean St Ledger were excellent in central midfield and gave us a lot of control. We let Sheffield Wednesday off the hook.

"I know that one or two refereeing decisions went against us – certainly Jermaine Easter seemed to get across Anthony Gardener in the first-half and that could have been a red card.

"Kirkland played very well and I appreciate that but at home your forwards have to win you games and that was a winnable game for us. We got an early goal and should have strode on.

"It was a poor loss for us in terms of our home form. While we had control of possession, we didn't do enough in the opposition box and that's a frustration for us.

"Games like that have slipped through our fingers. We play Watford at home next Tuesday and we have to work again to find the formula to win at home because 52 points won't keep us up.

"We cannot let our season fall away. It is probably quite foolish to predict how many points we will need but we should be beating our total of 59 from last season. We should be going past that.

"There was a dominant performance and win there for us. I'm very frustrated because in too many games this season we've thrown points away and we did that again."

22 thoughts on “Jackett: Millwall "threw away" precious points against Owls

• April 9, 2013 at 23:29

Do something

• April 9, 2013 at 23:38

Hulse confident Millwall's strikers will hit the goal trail soon, 'he said last week', LIKE WHEN MR HULSE??

• April 9, 2013 at 23:41

When he is playing at his right level. The Orpington and district league.

• April 10, 2013 at 07:59

I think the ref last night wasn't good enough for the Orpington and District League.

• April 9, 2013 at 23:48

Im sure its not just me, but I get really annoyed of having to read the comments such as the above, every time we lose at home. We let it slip through our fingers, yes, again and again. They are your players Kenny, your tactics, please sort it out. I do not think we will get relegated, but not because of what we do, but because of what other teams do( or dont do). I do believe in Kenny, I think he is one of the best managers weve had, it is about time that the players stood up and start earning their wages and remember that they are playing for the best club there is.

• April 10, 2013 at 00:25

Same s*** different game, same excuse. F*** sake we can all see what is wrong why can't our f****** manager ,, We all said that getting Hulse would be a shocking choice yet he goes and bags not only 1useless cu-t but we got his twin the other equally useless cu-t Tyson. F*** sake sort it out before we sack you kenny and its your own fault. We keep saying we are punching above our wait well you will get the opportunity next season to play at our level

• April 10, 2013 at 00:37

KJ I love ya mate but what the f*** was you watching? St ledger and jimmy dominated the middle? Jimmy was his trustworthy normal self but st ledger IMO was very poor almost as poor as hulse, and I rate him but he was s***.
    I'm starting to think KJs fcuking around with the team too much he doesn't know his strongest 11. Saturday will be a predictable line up with a 4-5-1.
    KJ pls just stick to the best 11 in their correct position and for f*** sake tell the players to play the way they're facing. How can we expect anything when all we do us pass the ball backwords. It was a deserved loss tonight and next up at home is Watford, f*** me it gets better.

• April 10, 2013 at 07:28

Well on the positives was nice to see batt man back, played well when he came on,showed a lot of enrgy and looks like he's got a point to prove, was nice to see jimmy get a goal for all the hard work he always puts in, but how did we get to the stage where we are relying on jimmys goals, driftwood upfront, apart from easter who I still think will come good, but tha rest shouldn't even call themselves strikers,another game we threw away, and more stick for me off my palace mates, we are now seeing the consequences for signing past it,old men in jan/feb,what a tale of 2 halfs this season has been, something needs to be done about this home form,need to make the den a place again where players fear to come and play, COYL for saturday!!!

• April 10, 2013 at 07:45

Agree with you dan, listened to it on radio and it was a dominate performance according to, but lads a good manager is not scare to change it and have there say, but I would have 4-5-1 it for the last 10 of the first half, and bored the game out saville inside Easter out wide, see it out. And the same second half, and Luke ST Ledger is not a midfield to start with but unfortantly jackett loves a centre half in midfield, don't hang hopes on him mate, good to see batt man and be Awkward! Scenario: Millwall stay up and have 1.5mill kitty who do you go and get but you have to finish top 12 ?

• April 10, 2013 at 08:08

There has been many let downs during my life as a Millwall fan but last night was a real body blow

Probably just pre-menstrual and over reacting 🙁

• April 10, 2013 at 08:45

Lion.i.e I probably didnt write a good post last night cause I was too p***** off with what I had just seen.
    I understand the commentators on the radio gave as a pretty good review but in all honesty it was very bad in spells, the standard of the distribution was poor at best. The lack of support was poor throughout the team. Savile came off at the right time and is clearly not a wide player but its not his fault. St ledger I still believe to be a good player, but he was half hearted and went missing too much. Bush I know he's a center half and it was evident last night but he's done a job in the middle for Leicester, maybe it was an off night for him but personally after that performance I'd have jack smith back in. Taylor was better on the left but his touch was poor at times last night he gave away possession more than usual and he touched the ball out of play quite a bit, maybe the weather had something to do with it. Jimmy, Lowry and shittu's passing was really bad last night, jimmy went backwards at every opportunity after his very good energetic forward thinking first 15/20 mins. Beevers got a hard time from Howard more often than not
    And their left winger IMO was MOTM and looked a real good player. Those are MY negatives.
    Batt was superb when he came on, much much better than hulse and offered more and had purpose in what he was doing. Taylor was his usual busy positive self as was Easter jimmy was also busy and was quality in the first 15/20 mins. The build up play for our goal was good and jimmy started it. At times in the second half we looked good but lacked positive options, we did look more balanced when Henry came on and dunne looked more comfortable. KJ made the right changes at the right time. We really needed the points last night, and I now believe we're in the s***. Sorry if you don't want to hear it but you know I've been positive on this site but last night was a huge blow.

• April 10, 2013 at 10:32

Luke, you're the one paying the money and having to sit through the disappointment, I'm sat at home in the warm 400+ miles away relying on what I hear on the radio. They were really positive about how we played, kept mentioning the crowd and how they were our twelfth man, slated the officials saying that we could have had two pens e.t.c. e.t.c.
      Maybe I'm a glass half full kind of bloke, but everybody is focused on what we have to do to stay up, even KJ is getting sucked in. The teams below us, in particular Peterborough, Huddersfield, Blackburn and Wolves are the ones in a really desperate situation but despite my positive outlook we are definitely playing with fire. I said in early March that all the stats are in our favour re relegation unless this is a freak season and it does look like it might be just that but one more win should see us right.
      Scoring goals is obviously the problem and if we start shipping poor goals like we did last night things could get worse, but the games are running out for those below us so let's see where we are after Tuesday night before we hit the panic button. You can still get 25/1 to 40/1 for us to go down and that's a fair reflection of where we are, if the bookies drop that below 10's after Tuesday I'll join the worried club!
      It'd be typical KJ if we beat Watford and although they are third they've only lost four less games than us....
      As for Saturday, I know you're not a fan but it has to be 4-5-1, we need to stop them playing, but whatever he plays, as long as the team put it in we'll give them a game and who knows?
      Can't believe there are people on here moaning about the cup run, we're at Wembley for fk sake!
      COYL

• April 10, 2013 at 09:12

Gonna try and put a positive spin on the match last night, but I will consider people paying hard earnt monies, 4 out of 6 are home games I'd rather lose and stay up on goal difference if it gives jackett the excuses to get rid of 12 or so players, and refreashen up the atmosphere around the den, we also got a FA cup semi final, coming up, big achievement, as Cardiff did a few years ago, and now there top of the league looking for promotion, Swansea a few years ago were a poor scoring attacking team, but now there premier league, won a cup and in Europe, Reading as poor as they are now had a good second half of the season, when they went up and they had Jason Roberts up front!! Don't panic jackets still learning his self his only managed for a few years at two low level clubs Swansea and Millwall, he will get it right, only one game that's football.

• April 10, 2013 at 09:33

When do we stop making these excuses. We were s***. We don't know how to defend a lead and we s*** ourselves when we go ahead. We sit back and it undoes us every time. I've made my throat sore from shouting 'defend from the front' last night. Every single player must stand up and be counted when we are not attacking, its the oldest one in the game. When you are being attacked, your strikers and attacking mids MUST defend from the front line and keep them held back.....they MUST hassle and harrass their man-on-the-ball EVERY kick. Its hard and easy to lose your focus buts it makes all the difference. If you sit back too deep and let them in, then your doomed, as it proved last night once again. We must command a stonger front line...a big failing on our paet in my opinion. Like I say, we have no clue how to defend a lead. A nailbiting end to our season I'm afraid. Not sure I can handle yet another season travelling away to some of those s*** holes if we go down.

• April 10, 2013 at 09:54

Based on that performance, I can't see where these 7 points are coming from.
    I'm posting this not just because we lost, but because it's all been so bloody predictable. How anyone at Millwall can think that the business we've done in securing forwards has been intelligent I just do not know. To really believe that players of the standards we've brought in would fire us up the table is mind blowing. Now we're in real trouble and I've been saying it for weeks.
    No doubt the Wigan management were at last night's game. I'm sure they drove straight to Wembley and booked the hotel for the final. The anticipation and excitement are on the wane.
    What the hell is going on ?

• April 10, 2013 at 10:20

I see an enormous pile of sh1t on the horizon and we're heading for it at a great rate of knots! I mentioned my concerns on here yesterday but didn’t think it would be so gut wrenching as I don’t believe we deserved to lose to yet another team that has done the double over us. Before the game we could tell the ref who in my opinion wasn’t fit to be in charge of a Championship game was going to be a wrong ‘un. Plus, I’m getting fed up with the term ‘joys of being a ‘wall fan’ after another defeat. Watford next week, I bet they can’t wait!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:50

Worse forwards I have ever seen in 50 years, you cannot keep soaking up pressure at the back if your forwards and I say that loosely don't put there chances away. Sum up, 1 goal a piece and Easter gets a sublime ball from Henry, he is one on one with captain Kirkland and fluffs it. If that goes in we win the game. End of. It's been then same for the last 3 months and I think KJ has got to realise that you cannot turn everyone's has beens it to good players. The Troy Deeneys of this world cost money I'm afraid and that's what we need, it's just a fact of life. To think the Batt man can come back and save us is naive to say the least, although to be fair he did ok, but that just goes to prove how bad Hulse is. And the really worrying thing is there is nothing on the bench to change it. Can someone please add up our forwards appearances and goals scored I can't bring myself to do it. My last point is and does anyone know why we let Henderson go, I know he had a court case pending but that's been put back. And HIV was on a few bob, but he has always been. I would have him back tomorrow , led the line well, big strong presents up front and can score goals. We let him go and sign 'look at me what a great player I am Hulse'. Billy Big B*******!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:52

Sorry about the HIV should be he is.

• April 10, 2013 at 11:36

I was there last night and thought in the first 25 mins we was gonna smash wednesday. They were poor and we was playing some nice flowing passing. After 25 minutes we reverted back to lumping long balls and playing like strangers.
    I thought saville looked poor, hulse was his usual s***, Taylor started brightly but looked unfit maybe due to long lay off, but he did try. I thought Easter run an created, but missed a 1:1 again, which as a striker is awful.
    Even our corners and freekicks were uninventive and half hearted. We looked nervous everytime they had a set piece or attacked.
    I can see why supporters are choosing not to come down the Den to watch the drivel we are playing at the moment, but being a millwall supporter for 30 years when has it ever really been any different? We have had highs and lows but it will never stop me turning up. The only difference at present is that the players don't seem to be giving 100% full bloodied performances and that's what upsets me and that needs to be instilled to the players... And management team.
    No more excuses please, be honest with us about where we are going and our expectations, they owe us that at least.

• April 10, 2013 at 13:54

We couldn't even win when we were 3-0 up against the Brummy bas---ds, so what chance have we got when we can only score 1 if we are lucky?

• April 10, 2013 at 20:59

Not a mention of the ref and linesmen cheating us, there fist goal came from a free kick that should of been ours, the second came from a free kick after a blatant dive went out for corner then the goal, sky should send in undercover cameras to watch us get cheated every time we play at home instead of filming fans to discredit us, what is our club doing about it, we couldn't get going the p**** kept braking up the play. Millwall we need to bang a few away to many chances going a stray and not enough games left can some one let Hulse know COYL Wembley Wembley

• Pingback: hosting