Report: Millwall 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday

CHRIS Maguire stepped off the bench to snatch a stoppage-time winner for Sheffield Wednesday as Millwall's miserable run of home form continued.

Midfielder Jimmy Abdou tapped in his first-ever goal at The Den in just the 2nd minute of the match but his effort was cancelled out by former Charlton defender Miguel Llera's free-kick.

And Maguire hooked in Danny Pugh's near-post corner deep into four minutes of additional time to stun the home crowd in South London, who had watched their side dominate the second-half.

Kenny Jackett handed Chelsea loanee George Saville his first senior start on the left side of midfield, while Jermaine Easter and Abdou were both recalled to Millwall's starting line-up.

Winger James Henry was passed fit to be included amongst the substitutes after a knee injury but Liam Trotter was absent from the squad with a minor muscle strain.

The Lions took the lead with just 63 seconds on the clock when Chris Taylor beat two men down the right wing before sending in a low cross which Abdou, arriving from deep, bundled in.

After Owls left-back Danny Pugh had curled a free-kick over, Rob Hulse could have made it 2-0 when Mark Beevers' clearance fell to him 12-yards out but Chris Kirland smothered the ball at his feet.

Shane Lowry then had two shots on goal in quick succession, first drilling narrowly wide in the 17th minute before lofting a tame set-piece straight into Kirkland's midriff.

David Forde had to stand firm at his near post to keep out Steve Howard's stinging effort and ex-Wednesday defender Mark Beevers headed into the side nettings as the sides traded chances.

But the visitors levelled in the 40th minute when Llera, who scored two goals in the reverse fixture in August, arced a free-kick around the wall and beyond the dive of Forde to make it 1-1.

Taylor went close to restoring Millwall's lead when he got a toe to Lowry's driven cross, but the ball ricocheted straight to Kirkland, who would have been beaten had it gone either side of him.

Jackett's side made a purposeful start to the second period and Easter spurned a half-chance when Beevers' knock-down dropped kindly for him in the 55th minute, scuffing a shot a yard wide.

Shaun Batt and Henry were introduced from the bench and the latter nearly made an immediate impact, threading an inch-perfect bass through for Easter, who drilled at the feet of Kirkland.

Kirkland came to the Owls rescue again in the 62nd minute when he parried Taylor's curler away from danger and made another crucial block to beat away Sean St Ledger's overhead kick.

The Lions were piling on the pressure entering the final 15 minutes of the match but were nearly hit by a sucker punch when sub Jermaine Johnson lashed a shot inches wide after a quick break.

But Wednesday were not to be denied a smash-and-grab victory and Maguire produced the perfect finish to Pugh's driven cross to break Millwall hearts at the death.

46 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday

• April 9, 2013 at 21:55

Again Millwall? Why does this always seem to happen. We can only hope you are saving yourselves for the big win on the weekend

• April 9, 2013 at 22:02

What a f****** joke again, hello we need a striker, good to see batty back but he is league 1 level so at least he will be at home next season with us cos that is where we re heading. Talk about give me the f****** hump, I want to enjoy wembley but how the f*** can I when we cant beat s*** teams what chance against wigan, I am fuming AGAIN

• April 9, 2013 at 22:06

It's all too f****** clear we have got no decent strikers at the club not 1, get rid of the lot of em & let's hope Kenny spends some money next season on some decent strikers who know what a f****** goal looks like, get chaplow signed & ship out the entire frontline, keogh,hulse,Easter,batt,marquis, all crap, were down if not !

• April 9, 2013 at 22:04

I really hope that at the end of the season, Jackett finally admits that he well and truly f***** us up regarding the forward line.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:07

Listened in on BBC Radio London and by all accounts we were by far the better team and we were mugged. Officials got a slating from the commentary team. Shame we couldn't get the win as we would have been 9th and 8 pts clear and the 'we're going down' (we're not) posts would have been put to bed. Might stir the players up for Saturday, not that they should need it.
    Sounded like Henry and Batt played well after coming on and Hulse was applauded off the pitch, or maybe that was because he was being taken off!
    Just seen goals, Forde not great for first and half the defence being done on near post from a corner for the winner is shocking!

• April 9, 2013 at 22:09

Totally dominated the 2nd half and come away with nothing. We're having no luck. Fordey's mistake for their 1st goal and inability to kill a game off has cost us again

• April 9, 2013 at 22:09

So what unlucky excuse blah blah is KJ gonna come out with, we have NO STRIKERS how's that kenny

• April 9, 2013 at 22:12

With the FA Cup money, TV money and the money that we DIDN'T spend on Wood, there is no excuse for not buying at least one decent striker for next year. Our front line is embarrassing. Goals win games and our strikers have a combined total of EIGHT league goals in 8 months whilst Glenn Murray has 30 on his own. Sort it out, jackett. Same s*** being said over and over again.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:16

What a bunch of c****.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:25

Yes we were average, yes we haven't got a striker and yes we were unlucky but I'm well and truly f***** off to the teeth with these fa agenda f****** officials we have been getting, a fourth official ruling out a goal on Saturday and todays shower.... It's becoming exasperating and predictable because of our aforementioned shortcomings we can not compensate for this. Every half decision goes against us. I know it's no one likes us but the last few months ever since the sky report we have been well and truly shafted. I know I sound like I have sour grapes but its well beyond a joke.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:45

People are deluded if you think we were the better side. WE WERE DOG S***. Didn't even f****** look like scoring other than the goal and easters chance. They should of scored more if anything. That 2nd goal was coming a mile off everyone where I was could see it happening. Same old Millwall getting done in the last minute. We're not good enough and have to praise Jesus we had Chris wood when we did otherwise we would be relegated because we are f****** rubbish.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:48

Oh and the back 4 were all terrible shittu included. Beevers didn't win a header all night. Hulse can just seriously do one! Worst striker I've seen in years bring back patrik agyemang

• April 9, 2013 at 22:54

Stop blaming officials. Hulse and Easter missing one on ones is disgusting. S*** c****. Why do we always get this old silly strikers with they glory days behind them and also a lack of passion. Kenny you need a striker in the summer with a bit of ambition and hopefully be a player with some pride to wear the millwall shirt.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:56

You know we're f***** when we rely on abdou scoring goals.

• April 9, 2013 at 22:58

I have been sitting here for ten minutes trying to think of something that sums up how I feel about this game and our current position. Not won at home since 1 January, when was the last time you can honestly say we really played well, played a good passing game, had a good number of shots on goal and tested the oppostions keeper. I just can not think of when we did'nt just scrape a win or draw. Apart from Villa, who did we beat to get to the cup semi? I really want us to play well on saturday and beat Wigan, but not if that means the players save thenselves for the final and we get relegated. I only write this to let my anger out, because I know that nobody who can make a difference reads it.

• Pingback: News at Den | Jackett: Millwall "threw away" precious points against Owls

• April 9, 2013 at 23:08

We beat 2 more teams after villa to get to the semi but I see what you mean. We look totally out of our depth and couldn't score if we played till 12 o'clock. Not good enough and how anyone can defend that performance us beyond me. We ran out of ideas after 20 mins. There was a few periods in play where we didn't touch the ball for 2-3 mins at a time. We were the home team and that was awful. Our home record is in the top 5 worst in England, and this is the place people are suppose to fear coming to. If I was an oppo fan id be more worried about getting a slap at palace these days and be more worried about a trip to ebsfleet. It's all gone wrong. Semi final aside this has been a terrible season.

• April 9, 2013 at 23:10

Right, where to start, Shittu was very ordinary by his standards, Beevers covered for him all night and I saw him winning headers all game. Next, Easter did ok n setting u attacks and holding the ball up but ultimately both him and Hulse are responsible for that loss, we created two clear cut one-on-one chances and they could not convert them which is why they are in the team. Thirdly, Batt played really well, won the ball in the air, turned his defenders inside out wit nice touches and genuine pace and FOUGHT for every ball. Quite frankly, on that performance I would drop Hulse and play Batt and Easter at Wembley. Lowry has to improve his distribution, rst of his game is fine but him and Jimmy were very guilty of giving the ball away needlessly. Fordey really should have done better with the second goal but it was an awkward bounce and sometimes these things happen. He generally played well apart rom that error.

• April 9, 2013 at 23:19

Thanks for the balanced report Glyngo, sounds a bit more like the game I listened to! lol

• April 10, 2013 at 00:18

Agreed, thought Batt and Henry gave energy to a lifeless attack. Easter played some good first touch balls, twisting defenders... Too much time to think imo re 1:1. Anyway, really looking forward to Saturday. Millwall may not do my blood pressure any good but they do make me smile 🙂

• April 9, 2013 at 23:16

The officials have to take their proportion of the blame, we are not good enough to have all 50/50 decisions constantly go against us. The fact is we don't have a striker who couldnt hit the twin towers with a Taliban pilot but that isn't going to change before the end of the year, KJ and the club tried to get Wood and he chose an average looking Leicester team over us, we put all our eggs in the wood basket and have been left with probably our worst strike force certainly in my life time.

Like I said earlier its hard enough winning games without a goalscorer never mind the rubbish we have to deal with week in week out with these poxy refs.

• April 9, 2013 at 23:20

OH F*** Kenny there's a lot of unhappy "REAL MFC" supporters venting their frustration on this forum, my guess is a few passes from the back through midfield up to a decent front line creating a few chances getting the loyal paying supporters of this "GREAT CLUB" off their seats once in a while would go a f****** long way to making us happy....F*** WEMBLEY, i dont really give a s*** about that, JUST GIVE ME ENTERTAINMENT KJ & JB... please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• April 9, 2013 at 23:25

i know its a loss, but everyone needs to stop jumping on the negative bandwagon. we were ok today, created chances, glyngo summed it up best, stupid game to lose but we were ok. i thought batt caused them some trouble. i gave hulse a chance when he came and for that i apologise - hes s***. didnt judge keogh on tht game, but played well at leicester and blackburn, woudnt mind seeing him on saturday. I would like to see us playing 4-3-3 on saturday, with henry as a winger but taylor in mid, we need someone going foward in tht area. striker is a must for the summer - worst in a long time for us.

• April 9, 2013 at 23:28

Glyngo mate, beevers didn't win F*** ALL in the air and got bullied a number of times, I wasn't the only one to notice it, the only header he won was the header he missed from a corner. Batt did ok when he came on and surprised me, think he gets too excited though and needs to relax abit. Easter looks good, good 1st touch and passing, should of buried that 1 on 1 though. He is cup tied so can't play vs Wigan. As for hulse.... Anyone no a decent hitman?

• April 9, 2013 at 23:31

i'll do it for free

• April 9, 2013 at 23:32

Any reasons for trotters absence?

• April 9, 2013 at 23:40

Knee problem rated 50/50 for Wigan game

• April 10, 2013 at 09:22

I heard he was having a spine put in !

• April 10, 2013 at 00:08

Absolute rubbish. Two players can come out with genuine credit and that's Easter and batt.
    Not bad games for Taylor and Dunne, average was beevers and jimmy. I can't believe we couldn't string two passes together, shocking it was. I'm lost for words to be honest. I don't think you can even use wembley as an excuse cause I didn't see many bottling tackles. Savile ? What and why, at least I got the answer from my question yesterday. The boy really isn't a winger but I'll not blame him.
    Saturday I still think it'll look after itself. But it really doesn't look good for us in the league too many home games left and the wrong away games. I hope I'm proved wrong, but not so sure this time. We deserved what we got tonight f*** all and the last time Wednesday done us at the den we went down.
    A word about the officials, without a doubt the worst I can remember, so a huge thank you to the villa bottle throwers, cause that's the price we pay for your s***, we're bad enough as it is without your crap.
    We're bang in it boys and anyone who thinks otherwise must be deluded. JB it's time to invest, speculate to ecumalate, your in the championship and if we're fortunate to stay up and that's where you want us then you have give more money KJ and Ambler needs to do what Karen Brady did with the Brum I.e cheap tickets to get bums on seats, their couldnt have been more than 7500 tonight which is b***** for a game before we play in the fa cup semi. No incentive from the club at all, how f****** easy can it be. I can't believe I've seen that s*** tonight.

• April 10, 2013 at 00:10

That's the beauty of football 82wall, we sat and watched the same game and came away with different opinions. I do agree with you about Hulse though, i gave him chance to win me over but if he is Prem or Championship std i better dust off my old boots!

• April 10, 2013 at 00:40

Adam smith played superb at Leicester yet we ain't seen him since, I bet he can't believe that he can't get in this team. I really would give him a try down the left or right of midfield. I am worried about Saturday, I just think wigan will run us ragged, we can't beat s*** teams in our division what hope have we got, but hey let's see, just hope we don't get to the final and then get relegated how embarrassing would that be, bet Chelsea and city quaking in their boots over our strikers

• April 10, 2013 at 00:48

I feel for those paying good money to see our current home form, but we've just come off 5 games without defeat and some things don't add up on here the past few days?

Firstly, the radio commentary I listened to were pretty complimentary about our performance tonight, particularly the work rate of the players and said that we were robbed and that the officials played a large part in our defeat. Three different newspapers have said similar in their reports. However, all bar Glyngo seem to think we were absolutely shocking.
    There is a very good and balanced report on millwallonline that also confirms same.

Secondly, a lot of posts have been pretty positive of our chances of beating a half decent Premiership side on Saturday whereas the same posters are convinced that we cannot get enough points against some pretty average Championship sides to stay up.

I'm one of the deluded ones but also a bit confused.

There are at least 8 clubs I can think of that would swap our 'terrible season' for 16th place after 40 games with a reasonable chance of a top ten finish and an FA Cup Semi Final.

Really looking forward to Saturday but everybody needs to get behind KJ and the team, if we go behind early and 31.5k fans get on the players backs we could have a Bradford v Swansea on our hands and that really could destroy our season.

• April 10, 2013 at 03:57

I don't get how our FA Cup run excuses our league performances. We've beaten only one good team along the way but that seems to be covering up the fact that we have slipped from 6th place to possible relegation. For me the FA Cup run is pointless - it has made the league form embarrassing plus it's not like we are going to spend the money anyway. League is and always should be a priority.

• Pingback: News at Den | Dunne: Jackett's fury could inspire Millwall against Wigan

• April 10, 2013 at 10:08

Forget about the FA Cup Semi Final. By Saturday evening we could be just 2 points above the bottom 3. Although 4 of the 6 games we have to play are at home they are against Blackburn and we can't beat any of the teams below us at home, Notts Forest, Watford and Palace who are all competing for a top 6 place. The home game against Blackburn and the away game Huddersfield will both be 6 pointers which we must win to avoid relegation. KJ has been a great Manager for us during the last 6 years but the current strike force of Batt, N'Guessan, Marquis, Tyson, Hulse,Keogh and Easter are all his signings and our failure to score goals is down to him. If we do get relegated I think he will go in the Summer and the current team will break up completely. Shittu and Taylor won't sign new contracts. Henry, Lowry and Trotter will be sold and a new Manager will have to rebuild the squad. This is all because Kj didn't sign any ddecent strikers to replace Woood and Henderson in January.

• April 10, 2013 at 11:04

Not 2 pts, unless Wolves and Huddersfield get 2 pts each for a draw?
      Alternatively we could still be 4 or 5 points clear with another game in hand, it depends what way you look at it?

Forget the semi final, seriously?

• April 10, 2013 at 13:16

Our performance last night really wasn't that bad, we dominated Wednesday for long periods and should have won comfortably. A couple of defensive lapses and missing 2 really good chances cost us. I was dissapointed but actually not disheartened by the display. I have a a feeling that Easter and Batt could be a real handful for Wigan, and if Easter can find his shooting boots he should get 5-6 before end of season IMO.

• April 10, 2013 at 14:05