Hulse confident Millwall's strikers will hit the goal trail soon

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

ROB Hulse insists he is confident that Millwall's strikers will start scoring again after a barren spell stretching back to the turn of the year.

The Lions' striking department has produced just three league goals in 2013 and they drew another blank in the goalless draw with Ipswich Town on Easter Monday.

But Hulse, whose close-range effort was clawed away by Tractor Boys' goalkeeper Scott Loach in the second-half at The Den, is refusing to be downbeat.

He said: "It's just not happening at the moment for the strikers – we have been a little bit unlucky but there are always stages like this in a season. We've just got to keep going and things will turn.

"I have gone past worrying about scoring. You are asked to do a job for the team – sometimes it can be difficult playing one up front on your own and you're reliant on service and chances.

"Sooner or later something will drop and then the goals won't stop going in. That goes for everyone – all of the lads. We aren't scoring a lot of goals at the moment but we have to keep believing.

"When I first came in, we couldn't keep a clean sheet to save our lives and we have just kept five in a row – so we will take the positives from that."

Despite picking up four points from a possible six over the Bank Holiday weekend, Millwall could yet be dragged into a relegation battle if they take their eye off the ball in the Championship.

But Hulse is determined to prevent the Lions' FA Cup semi-final against Wigan later this month from becoming a distraction – and wants to secure safety sooner rather than later.

"I hate it when I hear people talking about Wembley," he said. "I am just not interested in that at the moment. I don't want to talk about it because I want to get on with making sure we're safe.

"We're not safe yet so everybody is working towards that first and foremost. Everyone wants to play at Wembley but the only way of doing that is to perform week in, week out.

"I've never seen the Championship like this. There's a lot of teams in and around there – but that is good. It's exciting to watch and it keeps everyone on their toes. Wembley will take care of itself."

39 thoughts on “Hulse confident Millwall's strikers will hit the goal trail soon

• April 3, 2013 at 09:24

I actually feel a bit sorry for Hulse. Watching him you can see that he was a decent player and that now the powers (of finishing) are waning. Take his performance against Leicester - saw Konchesky was out of position and forced him into mistake after mistake - leading to a glorious chance which he would have finished comfortably in years gone by, but on Friday it was slammed straight at the keeper.
    Seeing how he is struggling to me emphasises how hard it is going to be to find a forward who can thrive (hold the ball up, bring other players into the game & score goals) if we go on playing 4-3-3 next season

• April 3, 2013 at 09:58

Hulse may have been good in his day but if he cannot cut it now he is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. As Kenny seems to like over the hill strikers perhaps he should have made an approach for Teddy Sherringham he could probably still do a better job then Hulse and Co.
      Just a thought.

• April 4, 2013 at 18:42

Mmmm...chocolate teapot...

• April 3, 2013 at 23:51

I don't feel sorry for him.
      I feel sorry for us.

• April 3, 2013 at 09:28

Nothing unlucky about missing the target from inside the 6 yard box, I call that lack of ability.

• April 3, 2013 at 09:42

I'm glad he's confident because I'm not!!!! A quality center forward and quality center midfielder would make a huge difference to this team

• April 4, 2013 at 21:16

I don't rate Hulse at all. But it's funny in a way, cos if he scores the winner at Wembley next Saturday he'll be on a pedestal. A fine line being trodden here.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:03

His hold up play is good and against Ipswich he made a huge difference to the performance of the team, we looked much more likely to score with him on the pitch. However, against both Ipswich and Leceister he won balls and knocked them down only to find that his strike partners we stood like statues watching him from 10 yards away. Hulse will be much more effective once Easter, Marquis and Keogh start following up on his challenges and put themselves in positions to pick up the loose ball, as he creates plenty of those opportunities. Harris would have been scoring for fun with a partner like Hulse.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:26

I kind of agree with everyone - we as a team looked a lot more like scoring when Hulse replaced Marquis - Marquis is just not ready (IMO I doubt if he ever will be). Hulse himself still doesn't look like scoring BUT with the bodies we have available I think Hulse has to start when fit. Thought Easter looked bright but a quality striker in the summer is a MUST!!!!!

• April 3, 2013 at 10:29

No assured striker relies on spells of luck or good fortune. They've either got it or they ain't!

• April 3, 2013 at 11:07

I just love the comment "I have gone past worrying about scoring" Ye no problem don't worry about it, I wish I could say that to my boss at work, Yes I know I am being paid to do a job, I know I am not doing it, but don't worry about it. Brilliant.
    Looking at the stats is why he should worry, of the three goals scored by strikers, one was a penalty. In 13 league games this year we have scored 10 goals, one was an own goal another the penalty. Perhaps if we played the strikers we have actually up front rather than wide, it might make a difference and maybe then we could stop worrying about it.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:41

We Keogh can do it, but he needs start re-producing his form from last season, however, Marquis looks unlikely to make the grade at this level. I'm sure Kenny will look to continue his policy of bringing in loan-strikers, but the priority for the summer has to be to sign a decent striker or two of our own in the summer.

Thankfully Easter, Tyson and Hulse can all return to their clubs at the end of the season and we should look to offload Batt and N'Guessan.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:43

Obviously not on a score bonus then.......he's our best option as a target man no doubt, KJ played Easter and Keogh too wide of him they need to get closer and move more he actually holds the ball up well but there is rarely anybody in position to take the pass. Trotter breaking through the middle would be the plan but that's not likely either.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:44

My concern is that we are grinding out wins and draws thanks to our defence holding firm.
    But if we let one in I just can't see us coming back.
    We are not scoring when we are creating guilt edged chances, there will be games when these chances won't appear, then what?
    I apologise for my negative posts of late but I just feel so frustrated at what is happening at the club I love.

• April 3, 2013 at 12:48

Not investing in positions where it was, and still is, badly needed means that it will probably go down to the last game to sort it all out. Which is a shame, because now we've got the FA Cup money as well there is no reason why the squad that's assembled for next season shouldn't be a team that's capable of a top 6 position. Which is where we should be this season had we steered away from some of the signings and loans that have not exactly proved their worth.

• April 3, 2013 at 15:15

"It's just not happening at the moment for the strikers - we have been a little bit unlucky but there are always stages like this in a season." He said "stages". So in 3 months and 3 days, our strikers have scored 3 goals. 3 months is 13 league games - a bit more than a stage. Not to be a cynic but with the chances we've had to win/draw we could easily be in the top 8 and when it gets to the stage where I prefer Marquis starting upfront, you really have got to question our "strikeforce". 4-3-3 is not working at all. Keogh needs a goal to get his confidence back yet has to play on the wing and Hulse can't link up with anyone. 4-4-2 with Chaplow on Left, Feeney on Right with Keogh + Hulse/Easter upfront and I'm sure we will score more.

• April 3, 2013 at 15:39

Agree with most of what you said Harry but I am not happy with Marquis in the side. I think he needs to be
      loaned out for a period to learn his trade but I don't honestly think he is up to championship football,IOM.
      Mind you Teddy wasn't all that at the start.

• April 3, 2013 at 17:23

Agree with a lot Harry but 4-3-3 has been the most successfull formation this season as its the away form that's keeping us just above the bottom three, playing it at home, I agree hasn't worked at all.
        As for chaplow although he can play out wide if KJ has any aspirations of making his loan permanent then he'll have to play him in the middle. We need to find a settled solution quickly on the left, and leave the forwards up front in the hope they grab a couple goals. Frustrating as it is, we'll be alright come what may.
        Sealion, teddy was jank at start with bad attitude so got farmed out, he came back better but not great and he probably had three good seasons and one freak of a season where he couldn't stop scoring, the rest were poor or average, loaning marquis out should have happened last season. Glad KJ has done right by o'brien, it can only help beef em up and get they're confidence up. Think we all know what we're missing, so would like to think KJ also knows.

• April 3, 2013 at 22:11

Hey Luke, I usually see pretty much eye to eye with your posts on most things and usually look to your views on the games as they are pretty well balanced. However, I can't let the comments about Teddy go unquestioned. Yeah he was rank to start with, I remember giving him dogs abuse one day at the old Victoria Ground but he got better with age. His only indifferent season, IMO, was the season we got relegated, but you could say that about the whole squad as the wheels pretty much fell off that bandwagon. Teddy is a Millwall legend and he doesn't get the recognition he deserves from Millwall because he left us for bigger and better things. How's that for an up to date and topical discussion? lol

• April 3, 2013 at 22:54

Cheers lion, my point with teddy was in comparison with marquis. I've previously posted my millwall 11 and Sherringham was in it.I grew up in that late eighties and remember it better than 7 or 8 seasons ago and if you check out sherringhams millwall record you will see I was right in him having three good seasons, one freak by that I mean him scoring over 40 goals and the rest where average and he was used as much as marquis is today I.e a couple games here and there. I, like you, think Sherringham is a legend and agree that he gets a tough time but you need to realise why he does. He's a flash so and so who walked around the place like he owned it when we first moved grounds, he expected to go and do as he pleased when supporters were pushed to the side in favour of him and his silly little mates, but that's just my personel gripe and yes I experienced first hand as I was a steward in our first four seasons at the "new den". The other reason he gets stick is when he played for us he said he was millwall through and through and just before he joined Forrest - cause of Brian clough - he turned west ham down and said he could never play for them as he loves millwall, 10 or so yrs later he joins west ham saying he loves em and has supported them all his life, and you know what, knowing how he was when I was a steward, I fcuking believe him, I don't need anyone to back me up with it it's my take on it. But millwall legend ? Yes he is.
            Back in the marquis comparison he's doing no less than Sherringham did but lite Sherringham he really needs to go out on loan and experience bring the main man under different guidance for a season then come back and see what he can do.
            good up to date and topical
            discussion ; ) haha.

• April 3, 2013 at 22:23

Harry,
      Agree with most of what you said but I don't rate Feeney. Sherringham went out to Aldershot on loan and came back just as bad. It wasn't until the coach at that time-Harrison-spent time with him that he improved., and Harrison went on to become the England coach from memory. So, in that case he was worth the time and investment. At the start of this season, I found Jackett's comments about having a 'weed-out' refreshing and we saw Craig etc. on their way. Now ,they're playing at the right level. We've got 6-8 of those players in my opinion currently in that situation but I can't see them all being shipped out. Marquis is not Championship quality. Whether he will be in the future is unknown but he really should have gone out on loan earlier. The loan signings we've made up front are an embarassment. Left it too late to get anyone in of any pedigree. But, good signings can be achieved-Chaplow etc. It's just the forward line that fills me with despair and we keep making the same old, same old mistakes in that area.

• April 3, 2013 at 22:59

Steve Harrison ? The man who s*** in a cup. Very good coach and a huge man in the "football" circle. Forgot all about him, f*** me nick your bringing back some good memories mate.

• April 3, 2013 at 23:03

Yeah, he s*** in a cup, from the top of a hotel wardrobe at an away game. What a shot on target!
          Probably should be playing up front for us.

• April 3, 2013 at 23:25

Haha, that's what got him the sack
            right ?
            Could you imagine doing that nowadays, how the f*** we sacked him I don't know I reckon with him we probably would have gone back up especially with the players breaking through from the youth team at the time. Oh well back to reality and rob Hul-se and trotu.

• April 4, 2013 at 09:33

I just hope we're not s*** in the cup!!

• April 3, 2013 at 15:34

4-3-3 works well away when the 3 becomes 5 when defending it looks positive on paper but when we play it at home the 3 up front have to be a lot more supportive of one another. Hulse will always be in the middle and he has had plenty of opportunities created this year, he's hit the woodwork several times had some blinding saves and made some glaring misses. Eastern am happy with looks a good player. Right side it would be Keogh / Feeney not both we need some ball winners behind either of those two. I don't like the style we are playing but if we could nick a goal or two every game it would suit us well. We can't afford the superstars can we.

• April 3, 2013 at 15:53

Got to agree with rikki, what a p*** take but I'll add I admire his honesty, why ? Cause he's just admitted he knows he's s*** aswel, but if he thinks that will stop people from reminding him then he may aswel p*** off back to qpr now. What I saucy mug even if you do think that why would you insult the people around ya like that, surely you'd keep it to yourself.
    Christ, everyone knows when they're not cutting it but to say something like that just confirms my first thought when we signed him, which was, why the f*** has kenny signed that "a*******" for. We all knew he wasn't gonna score goals for us and now he's just more or less come out and said it himself, what a p****, money grabbing mug, hope KJ makes him rot with Tyson where ever he is. Would've been better off getting haris back til end of season.
    Fuming ? Not arf.
    But then why should he, as a loan signing, break his b***** when trotter strolls around all day do f*** all. Just a thought.

• April 3, 2013 at 19:13

There is one other benefit of having s trker with Hulses experieince, strikers like Marquis can learn off him. I thought JM had a decent game on Saturday and did hold the ball up better than he has before, I would bet that he is training with Hulse and learning off him. Utlimately, when JM finally realises his potential he will be a similar player to a young Rob Hulse. JM needs to learn positioning and finishing after he gets the hold up play nailed down though. He got caught off-side and gave fouls away as he put himself in the wrong place to often.

• April 3, 2013 at 19:26

On KJ we trust, but he got it wrong with the loan signings this season think he should try and keep Easter the rest send em back, Trotter can't get me ed round him he looks terrified of the ball can't play at home or away, or is it he can't be bothered, KJ you have to drop him were playing with 10 men. Hulse it better happen sooner rather than later news is we got 8 games left, 3 moon 3 goals than aint good mate, let's get to safety ASAP enjoy Wembley and we can all look forward to summer signings, and watch the drift wood get sold COYL

• April 3, 2013 at 20:13

Hulse you are s***.

• April 3, 2013 at 20:34

what does Jackett see in Marquis, he has had more than enough games to prove himself but is utter s***,no pace, can't finish, can't win headers and would struggle in league 2 yet Kenny still starts him in many games,yet he signs Tyson and he can't get on bench, has he already fallen out with him like Mcquoid and others,Easter looks our best striker at moment which is embarrasing and gets played on wing along with keogh who is never a winger, Hulse has been poor but at least wins a few balls but can't hit a barn door,Jack smith center mid infront of abdou is a joke and why sign the chelsea kid if he's not gonna get a look in,jackett is doing a mcghee when he lost plot and started players out of position every week,he signs woolford who couldnt get in bristols team when feeney and nguesson who both have pace sit at home playing Fifa, Trotter is prob worth about 50k now and looks about as good as bobby bowry passing sideways or backwards all game, with Easter cuptied we will have no pace at wembley and can't see us scoring,great cup run or not Jackett lost the plot ages ago and although we will survive this season due to how many teams are below us and cant all win every week i fear we will almost certainly go down next season under Jackett with his woeful signings and bizarre team selections! Love Kenny but i've had enough now and think we need a fresh start and new ideas!!!

• April 3, 2013 at 20:58

Hulse really does frustrate the life out of me, he appears to not really care when he's on the pitch, he probably doesn't really want to be at the club, he has missed some incredible chances in the games he's played in and I for one would rather have Marquis playing instead of him. However what I would say is when Hulse was signed Kenny probably had the image of Taylor down the left, Henry down the right attacking the full backs and whipping crosses into the box for Hulse to get on the end off, instead (due to injury) we've ended up going to 'direct' and looking at him to create the chances for the team to score and its just not going to happen, he has no movement and just doesn't do 'the leader of the attack' job well enough. I wouldn't be surprised if we get both Taylor and Henry fit before the end of the season you won't see him score a couple of goals but unless we actually start to play with proper wingers he will pretty much be useless to us.

• April 3, 2013 at 21:05

Agree with what he Is saying luck isn't on our side but stay pacient and they will come, dont try and false it.

• April 3, 2013 at 23:46

Luke,
    Yep, he got the sack from Burr over that who was quoted as saying 'We're running a football club, not a zoo'. At the time, I felt it was something that could have been forgiven and also found it highly amusing but Millwall were under the spotlight at that time for many reasons so guess Burr wanted to sort it out and keep the media on our side.
    Harrison was notorious at airports especially for causing embarassing situations. That of course was with England, not Millwall. The furthest they've flown pre-season is to Ireland.

• April 4, 2013 at 21:35

That Johnny Russell at Dundee United would be a good signing to look at! He's young, quick and scoring for fun in the SPL, and was supposedly going to Sheffield United for £1.5m in January

• April 4, 2013 at 21:43

Phone Jackett.
      Maybe Scotland is where we should be looking. We sure as hell aren't making much progress with signings in England and that's a fact.
      Do we have scouts in Scotland ? Anyone know ?

• April 5, 2013 at 06:56

Na we only have Jamie Johnson or whatever his name is, and his couple northern mates who help him out now and then. Hopefully we invest in at least one more in the summer, but that would probably be at the expense of a striker we need.

• April 5, 2013 at 21:36

Scouts are paid a base rate plus extras.
          If we can't get a scout into Scotland on a permanent basis then no wonder we're left with the dregs from England.

• April 6, 2013 at 18:20

Sorry Rob but a Cow's a*** and a banjo spring to mind with recent form.