Dunne delighted to end goal drought with Leicester winner

© John Kirkpatrick
© John Kirkpatrick

ALAN Dunne was delighted to keep his cool in front of goal – and then keep his head during his celebration – as Millwall edged past ten-man Leicester City on Friday night.

Dunne killed off the Foxes' resistance in the 87th minute with his first league goal since 2010 before wheeling away towards the 400 visiting fans with his shirt half-removed.

But the 30-year-old had already been booked and remembered just in time that he risked a second yellow card if referee Stuart Attwell decided to punish any over-exuberance.

Dunne told NewsAtDen: "I was about to do a Danny Shittu but I had to be careful because I was on a yellow card – and I'm not as ripped as him! So I had two reasons not to take my shirt off.

"It's been a while coming but I've scored 22 goals for the club so I've always had an eye for goal. I'd had a good week in training – I scored a hat-trick in one session.

"I was delighted to get the goal, really glad with the clean sheet and to get the win was massive. On a personal level, to come to Leicester and score the winner is a huge thing for me."

The match was petering out into a bore draw until Dunne struck – and the right-back admitted the Lions could have made more of their man advantage after Wes Morgan's red card.

"We ran out of ideas at one point so it was difficult," he said. "We kept knocking on the door but we couldn't break them down. It was going to take something like a defender to step up and score.

"We dominated the first-half but in the second-half we kept making wrong choices and struggled to keep the ball. We still created chances but we didn't have a cutting edge."

Millwall have lost just twice in seven games since Dunne returned to the side in mid-February and victory at the King Power Stadium saw Kenny Jackett's side reach the crucial 50-point mark.

But the long-serving defender says the Lions cannot simply be satisfied with Championship safety and must continue to battle on both fronts, with a Wembley semi-final against Wigan coming up.

"Personally I'm not looking at safety," he said. "I want us to try to win our next ten games and get to the FA Cup final – then safety will take care of itself.

"I don't want to get to safety and then sit on it as if our season is done. I want us to kick on and try to win as many games as possible – we are capable of winning them all.

"Since I've come into the side we've kept four clean sheets and I think we've won most of the games I've played in this season. Of course it's a team game but I think my experience has helped."

17 thoughts on “Dunne delighted to end goal drought with Leicester winner

• March 30, 2013 at 15:22

Cut him in half and you'll see it says 'Millwall' running through his middle.

• March 30, 2013 at 17:31

Always liked him - always will , never our best player but always gave everything even when the crowd were getting on his back. He has never moaned about being a bench warmer - just gets on with his job which is what he is paid to do - really pleased for him and he deserves his day at Wembly after the way nob head Wise treated him ......... I see Mr Wise that is was a really good move in 2004 as Curtis is now at Barnet you are still a slime ball and Dunney is a local hero! Need I say more

• March 30, 2013 at 19:34

Not a single moan all season about not getting in the team even when Smith was brought in on loan from Spurs. Sometimes he hasn't even been on the bench but has just bided his time and taken the opportunity when it has been given to him. Other players like Trotter, Feeney and Wright have thrown their toys out of the pram when left out. Trotter hasn't even learnt his lesson when given another chance. Don't hear Jimmy complaining because he hasn't been in the starting eleven for the last few games either.

• March 30, 2013 at 19:44

You talk a lot of sense Dunney....well done mate

• March 31, 2013 at 10:40

Never been my favourite player or the best rightback we've had, but never denied he's millwall either. That bloke deserves all the attention and good that's coming his way. It's not just the effort or work rate or leadership he's been showing but he's actually playing football aswel. There's a huge difference in the football we play from the left side to the right. Lowry's first instinct is to clatter into their right mid whereas dunne will stay on his feet and keep their left mid on his weeker foot.
    Lowry will hoof the ball up in the hope someone will win the header whereas dunne will look up play the ball down the line on the floor either into feet or sensibly into space for forward to run onto. We seem much more composed lately on the right side and that's sll without Henry. I thought after Birmingham game he deserved to be dropped and getting Adam smith in was a master stroke, but now I'm thinking putting dunney back in is KJs best decision this season by far, without Robbo we've missed millwall on the pitch ok we have the shitt and jimmy who without doubt are playing like they love the club and on his day you can throw keogh into the mix aswel, but dunney is different to em all, he's born millwall he don't need it to be drummed into him over the course of a season. I can't believe he's completely changed my view of him, but I'm over the moon he has, all the posts above are bang on. I hope he don't burn out cause we have a lot of games this month and judging by recent performances he's the one player we really need available. Good work dunney your a top bloke.

• March 31, 2013 at 12:52

We had another right back once who wasn't the greatest but gave 100% for the club in every game. He was left out by a number of managers over the years, never complained but always won his place back. The likes of Dunne and Rhino are what makes our club different to everybody else. They get what being Millwall is all about.

• March 31, 2013 at 13:19

Yep I remember well lion, but he got moved into the center which was a great move for him. I'm glad dunney has stuck to his position, a couple seasons back he flirted with center mid, It's ok and sometimes works in league one but in the champship you haven't the time or luxury to mess about like that cause you'll get punished for it.

• March 31, 2013 at 21:27

Nice long post Luke. Something to read with my dinner. Whilst I don't disagree with what you have said, could the reason Lowry hoofs it out all the time is because there is no outlet. Woolford looks poor on the left and it clearly isn't keoghs natural position. And when you add to that trotter is absent most of the time, you have to ask where are his options. I for one like Lowry and yes he is a bit reckless but he also adds more steel to a pretty strong back four. He doesn't hoof it half as much when Taylor is in the team.

• March 31, 2013 at 23:21

Sorry bonnie, I wasn't for one minute saying I don't like Lowry cause I also think he's solid and brings a bit of steal to the back four, I was complimenting the "football" dunne brings to the right side. Of late especially in Taylor's absence the left side has lacked in "football" and it was clearly evident on Friday night, although a smith tried very hard to make an outlet he lacked help and options in the second half especially. And as good as Lowry is you can't say he's not reckless in the tackle when he plays on the left, his card count will tell you that. It's his first season in that position and I think he'll learn to control it a lot more especially as jackett was a left back. I do love the way he gets stuck in though.
            Ps that wasn't the long post.

• March 31, 2013 at 23:43

Pps, your bang on with the lack of options available for lowry and can't wait for Taylor to have a settled run in the side again, he balances the team nicely.

• March 31, 2013 at 12:38

How does that N'Guessan creep into every photo? He was even in that Scroobius Pip's video!!

• March 31, 2013 at 12:45

Well said Luke, takes a big man to stand up and say he's been wrong 🙂
    One Alan Dunne over a dozen Trotters, the man will run they walls for millwall. That's why the fans will always give him a chance.

• March 31, 2013 at 13:53

Cheers rob,
      How can anyone deny what he's been doing since he's come back in.
      I can't remember being so delighted at being so wrong in all my life lol ; )

• March 31, 2013 at 15:36

Again, it's amazing what real competition for your livliehood will do.
    Credit where it's due though. He is playing a lot better so well done me old cocker.

• March 31, 2013 at 16:55

He deserves a berth in the semi. Let's hope we go unbeaten for the rest of the season. That'll do nicely!

• March 31, 2013 at 18:30

Always been a fan but always felt that his distribution would limit his opportunities, but right now he is playing well defensively and bombing forward making decisive crosses and passes showing that at 30 years old he is still developing his game. True professional behaviour.