Exclusive: Millwall have achieved nothing yet, says Berylson

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

CHAIRMAN John Berylson has warned Millwall not to get caught up in the euphoria of reaching Wembley – because they still have a job to do.

The Lions will walk out at the national stadium against Wigan in their FA Cup semi-final on Saturday but Berylson insists he has nothing to celebrate just yet.

The American businessman is desperate to see the club go all the way in the competition – and top the achievements of the 2004 side that lost 3-0 to Manchester United in the final.

"It is great to be in the semi-final but we have not won anything, we are just in the last four," he told NewsAtDen. "I'm not going to start claiming a victory because there isn't one to claim.

"We have done really well and I am very proud of the team so far, but we haven't done anything yet – hopefully we win another game and get into the final.

"I was talking to some friends of mine in the Premier League who pointed out to me that 90 percent of teams don't go to Wembley – ever – and we've gone three times in four years.

"But I still look at it as we have a game to win. We should not be celebrating because first we have to figure out how to beat Wigan. That's my view.

"We want to beat Wigan and then cause the upset of the century against Manchester City or Chelsea in the final. We won't be celebrating until the time comes.

"Of course I enjoy going to Wembley – you never get bored of it and frankly I want to go every year – but everything is better when you win."

Latics chairman Dave Whelan may lead his side out at Wembley but Berylson, who infamously lit up a cigar in the dressing room after Millwall's play-off final win in 2010, will not be doing the same.

"That wouldn't quite be in line with my personality," he said. "I would rather take the credit after we have won. I have a captain – let Danny Shittu lead the team out. I don't think it's appropriate."

And Berylson believes Shittu is well-deserving of such an honour: "Danny is immense in size and is a huge leader," the Lions chief said. "He has galvanised the team.

"The captaincy has brought out the best in him and he has really developed as an individual. He has always been a good player but we are seeing a leader now. Who saw that in him before?"

Berylson is well aware of what happened nine years ago but thinks that reaching the final four this time around is a more impressive feat.

He said: "I knew that the club had reached the final in 2004 but so much has changed, money-wise, since then that I never thought we would be at this stage again.

"What we've achieved this year is near-impossible. You have to be very lucky in the draws and then play well against teams that are generally as good or better than you are.

"It is a huge achievement by Kenny Jackett. We've seen three flavours of Millwall this season – good, disappointing and somewhere in between – and he did this whilst the team wasn't in a great place.

"He worked hard to figure out what he was up against because he doesn't get to watch the likes of Aston Villa or Luton regularly. It's a great statement by Kenny in terms of his management

"I think all three results on Saturday are absolutely possible – I have no expectation or sense of what the game will be like. But I think we've turned a corner in how we are playing."

25 thoughts on “Exclusive: Millwall have achieved nothing yet, says Berylson

• April 10, 2013 at 10:21

I think you need to go to more Millwall games.

• April 10, 2013 at 11:51

We have achieved nothing yet, but be honest with yourself and us, what is it that you want to achieve? Speak to your "premier league friends" and ask them what it takes to get in the premier league, we may then have a chance.

• April 10, 2013 at 11:56

4-2-2-2 Dunne Shittu Beavers Lowry St ledger abdou Taylor Henry Batt and Keogh. Hopefully catch them on the counter.

• April 10, 2013 at 12:06

Money money money, spend spend spend
    Or not, in our case. I'm a supporter of sensible spending and sticking to budgets, but lately I'm getting my head turnt by the idea of let's just give a huge go in the summer who knows play offs maybe achievable or more, we have potential as we proved first half of the season, a couple decent strikers a footballing center mid a right back and a keeper - right back and keeper for cover. And I believe we'll be ok, but we have to be in this devision regardless. IMO ofcourse.

• April 10, 2013 at 17:59

Wow Luke big change if tack. What happened to the thrifty way that you agreed with a couple of months ago. We can't and never will be able to challenge the big clubs. Cautious spending is the way forward and getting rid of those that are not good enough the place to start. Frustrating? Yes but ask any Portsmouth fan if they would swap their few glory years for a club and I think you'll get my point.

• April 10, 2013 at 19:24

Frustrating, being the "word" bonnie
        And in frustration my point was aired. No more, no less, just pure frustration.
        I want wembley and really can't wait for Saturday, as I keep saying, this games actually means something to me but it will look after itself. The league is where my frustration Ly's Bon, we need to be in this division next season at all costs, but the more I see us play the more worried I get. If we are to stay up then we have no choice but to spend some money in the summer cause next season will be just as hard and we're up against 3 more teams with money to spend. So the frustrating post I made has a realisation about it, even if it was backhanded.
        I'm am still a believer in what's we're doing Bon but even you must have had a little flirt with the idea of what if's, it can only be normal with what we have playing for us at the minute. Please believe me when I say I get your point
        And am in the same way of thinking. Frustrating that's all bonnie.

• April 10, 2013 at 13:31

Perhaps I am in the minority here but surely it is more important to retain our Championsip status than worrying about the FA Cup? Yes it would be nice to get to the Final and avoid relegation as well but if I had to choose between the two the priority is to stay in this division. Perhaps Berylson then might give KJ some money to invest in some new players during the Summer and have a clearout of all the deadwood we have in the current squad. As far as the Cup is concerned we will have enough problems beating Wigan without even thinking about Man City or Chelsea.

• April 10, 2013 at 15:37

Cobblers! With all due respect 😉 It's one of the greatest cup competitions in the footballing world with millions worldwide looking in on my Millwall having a right go at premier league opposition. It's got fairy tale cup magic written all over it. I'm telling you that every fan in the land will have an eye on our game Saturday, (most of em behind Wigwam)wishing it was them standing in my place. Yes I'm worried about our shitty league form but I'm gonna park that to one side until Sunday morning. No One Likes Us We Don't Care!!! We're at Wembley, they ain't... E-I-O E-I-O

• April 10, 2013 at 18:00

If we have a go swanny! Remember Cardiff?

• April 10, 2013 at 18:01

If we have a go at them swanny! Remember Cardiff?

• April 10, 2013 at 18:13

Sadly I do mate. but I reckon we're a bit closer to the opposition this time.

• April 10, 2013 at 22:09

Trouble is Swanny that under normal circumstances I'd agree. But this current team of ours is absolute s**** and personally I'd take staying in the Championship against winning on Saturday any day.

• April 11, 2013 at 20:28

Couldn't agree more. But do you really see a way forward?
      Same s*** different day!
      Same b***** next year.
      We won't spend can't spend.
      We will increase the wage budget for more has beens on loan though.
      I don't blame kj that's just the way it is.
      Pessimist - very likely.
      But I will still be there hoping. Just hoping that maybe we will change.
      Cheers

• April 10, 2013 at 13:47

Scenario: who would bring in if you had 2 million to spend and who would you get rid of? Need a 25 man squad .

• April 10, 2013 at 16:33

Difficult one that, I will probably get a slating here but if Wood ever became available at a similar price as before I would take him like a shot. He is a natural goal scorer. I know he hasn't done much for Leicester lately but he's got 22 already this season. I would like to get Chaplow he looks useful and I think St Leger could be a useful aquisition (early days yet).
      The problem is 2 million is not enough to replace the deadwood we are carrying.
      It would be easier to name the handful of players that are championship standard. The depressing thing is that we are really only a third tier club who punches above their weight nearly every season and constantly battles against relegation.
      Imo we probably need more like 12 million just to build a team capable of staying in the top half.
      I'm getting depressed again.
      Any way all this can wait till Tuesday. COYL stuff those Latics and prove me wrong.

• April 10, 2013 at 16:30

Jb is talkin like were goin to win the final if we get there, even I'm modest enuff to know we wouldn't beat chelsea or man city if we get there,the only thing that will be a success this season is if we win sat, and make europe qualifiers,the league has been a joke come the turn of the new year,and we havnt been able to string enough results together, shittu,taylor or henry for player of the season so far, have been brilliant for us this season,and would be gettin relegated without them,

• April 10, 2013 at 16:54

Sealion. 12 million! That should win us the league not just get us top half! Your going abit over the top, we're s*** but not that s*** otherwise we'd be down already. We have a steady back 4 for this league, although I thought they were poor last night, however 5 clean sheets in a row says they can cope. And we have decent cover. The midfield needs 3 good Additions i think, 1 more good winger, and 2 consistant centre midfields (Chaplow for example). And up front I truly think if we got Keogh a decent partner then they would both be scoring, then another 2 strikers for back up as ours are not good enough. So a few changes but not 12 millions worth ! To be fair to the team they played well for a period of about 20 games this season and showed what we can achieve with a decent striker so maybe if we get one next season that will be enough. We can only hope.

• April 10, 2013 at 17:49

I may have got a little carried away 82wall it was a bit tongue in cheek, but if you add up what it would cost for an effective striker 1.5-2mil, Chaplow would cost around 800thou, St Leger 500thou, another 1mill for a creative centre mid,
      We then need decent backup for Fordey.
      What we can't afford to do is waste money on the kind of dross we already have. We either need quality which costs money or a Morrison type transaction which can be risky but cheap.
      I think that a couple of lower league strikers with an experienced ex prem midfield not sure who but someone who can put their foot on the ball and calm the youngsters down
      @Bush said that we needed a squad of 25, but to clear out the deadwood and rebuild that is where I arrived at a guesstimate to rebuild the squad to a reasonable standard.

• April 10, 2013 at 17:11

12 Million would buy the club, shares an everything, would anyone consider marvin Elliot back ? Or that Albert adomah ? I'm aware Bristol are bottom of the league and we moan about past there peak players, and there are hatful of players in league that are not gonna make it into the championship, Coventry have decent players and are in administration, Yeovil have the leagues top scorer paddy madden and we got schofield from them ? Brentford and Bournemouth are top of the table and they take are rejects to say?

• April 10, 2013 at 18:21

Is he selling those rose tinted spectacles in the Lions shop , I want a pair every thing looks like s*** through my pair.

• April 10, 2013 at 21:51

We have a lot of players that are not good enough. Period.
    I'm a great believer in having one almighty clear-out at the end of this season and going for it by spending the money!!
    That assumes of course that we're still in the Championship come the end of the season. By not investing we've got ourselves into the position we're in. Simple as that.

• April 11, 2013 at 09:30

To be going for pay offs wright needed to win our games in hand, very unlikely since we lost to Wednesday. However Wigan are beatable by our team, i now know Easter is cup tied; thanks 82wall, but like the sound of Keogh and Batt as both now look a bit more like their former selves and maybe Saturday is their day.

• Pingback: acne