Chaplow delighted to make immediate impact for Millwall

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

RICHARD Chaplow was delighted to make an immediate impact on his Millwall debut and is hoping to get more minutes under his belt after a frustrating season.

The midfielder, on loan from Southampton, provided the assist for Jermaine Easter's opening goal in the Lions' 2-0 win over South London rivals Charlton at The Valley on Saturday.

And the 28-year-old is eager to make his mark at The Den having found opportunities limited at the Saints in the wake of their promotion to the Premier League last year.

"It was a massive three points for the club," Chaplow said. "If we'd lost on Saturday we would have been only a couple of points clear of the relegation zone, and obviously no one wants that.

"Now we've got a few games in hand and a win tops off a great week for the club. From a personal point of view, it was nice to get a few minutes under my belt and to have a hand in the first goal.

"I'd only trained for 45 minutes so I am sure I will learn more about Kenny Jackett as we go on. The impression I get is that he's very passionate – no one in the game has a bad word to say about him.

"I've been involved for most of the season at Southampton but mainly just on the bench. It's been frustrating and I want to play games, so I needed to go out on loan and Millwall is a great club."

17 thoughts on “Chaplow delighted to make immediate impact for Millwall

• March 18, 2013 at 11:19

Had a good start to his loan spell,Lets see what he can do against leicester,Would love to get 3 points there and show chris wood we dont need him or kane.

• March 18, 2013 at 11:45

Nice start Richard keep it up, a welcome addition to the team.
    Over the last few weeks we have had many Millwall players releasing statements about how they like playing for the club, the atmosphere, like playing under Jackett etc etc etc.
    But the one glaring omission is Trotter it would be interesting to hear his thoughts.
    Whether he likes it here, whether he's happy with his form or lack of it etc.
    Just some kind of response or emotion would be nice.
    He has become the invisible man of Millwall.

• March 18, 2013 at 12:30

Trotter doesn't look interested and we will need total commitment for next season's European campaign. Time to shape up or ship out!

• March 18, 2013 at 13:26

Jackett was caught on ESPN screaming at him during the Blackburn replay, "For f*** sake Liam"

• March 18, 2013 at 14:30

He had a good old game at Blackburn and he came up to the Millwall end after the game , he gets loads of stick from all the forums , last two games have been much better I hope he can form a good partnership with Chaplow and Smith

• March 18, 2013 at 13:29

Perfect fit, we need him as much as he needs us. Motm IMO.he ran the show for me, bossed the middle perfectly can pass tackle start and break up play. Very good start. And nice to know what others think of our manager outside the club. ; )

• March 18, 2013 at 15:43

Why dont we all just stop slagging trotter off? He's become a scapegoat lately and some people I don't even think are watching the games because his effort has increased a lot lately. His roll is to float around just behind the striker(s) and play as an ATTACKING midfielder, his job is not to start steaming in to tackles and running all over the place, we have Abdou for that. It's a shame that some people can't see the quality he actually has, I've said It before on here but he has natural ability, something a lot of our players don't have, gettin it out of him is the hard part I agree. Well done Chaplin anyway, thought he had a blinder on Saturday and put himself about.

• March 19, 2013 at 10:30

82wall what an amazing comment to make, people can't see his quality? It's because of his quality that people get on his back. There's a reason that premier league scouts are not renewing interest in him. His work rate is minimal which is a shame considering when he does actually try, he dominates the central midfield. Sadly, he doesn't do it nearly enough. Always personally preferred him in a slightly deeper position as he seemed much more effective.

• March 18, 2013 at 15:44

Chaplow*** poxy iphone

• March 18, 2013 at 18:00

I think well get the best out of trotter with Chaplow in the side Smith is a better holding footballer than Jimmy, although even Jimmy played football when he came on against Blackburn it's looking better..... Would love to beat Leicester.

• March 18, 2013 at 19:51

I don't deny Trotters quality, on his day our best player without doubt. But, he had lost some zip in his performances before he was dropped, but showing improvement now. Every midfielder had responsibility to win tackles, even if their role is attacking.

• March 18, 2013 at 20:08

Chaplow looked good against charlton and put in a shift, something we have been missing in the middle of the park. Unfortunately I though jack smith had a poor game, way too many stray passes, that being said he has definately put some steel in the middle.
    My only concern is from what I have been reading I think that chaplow has no intention on a stay here, which is a shame, and will lead to others not getting a game getting p***** off. Don't want to end up with no midfield come next season.
    But we have been so much better in our last 3 games, can't wait for Henry return, with him and Taylor playing the wings, defence as solid as it seems good things lay ahead.

• March 18, 2013 at 21:20

Our priority is to stay in this division.
      If it means adding a bit of quality in this loan window then I'm happy with that. Don't worry if chaplow wants to stay or not, that will or will not happen in the summer. If Southampton stay up then he'll need a new club, they have money and will want to make their intentions known with big name signings, it will depend on how he's looked after and how he fits in with us, he didnt have to come to us, obviously wembley was the biggest reason but he chose us all the same. I think he's one of jackets best signings to be honest. I've always liked him, he can pass tackle make and break up play, a proper footballer. He was really busy against Charlton and I thought he bossed the middle of the park. If he did want to sign how much would he cost and how much could we afford to pay him ? It's if bits and maybe's again, lets just enjoy it for what it actually is, a loan signing til the end of the season. He'll do a very good job for us no doubts and may even teach one of ours a thing or two. My main concern is trotter, he still seams down in the dumps to me, he's not making any impact until 75/80 minutes, I hope he snaps out of it soon. The rest of em seem to be picking up nicely the last three games I just hope they now realise what's up for grabs this season. I guess it wouldn't be wall without an element of doubt.

• March 19, 2013 at 17:45

if chaplow has another couple of decent games for us that t*** at leicester will be in buying him

• March 19, 2013 at 18:57

That p**** at leicester will get sacked when we beat them in a couple of weeks!!!

• Pingback: wine