Millwall boss eyes Wembley glory after defeating Blackburn

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

KENNY Jackett insists Millwall will not go to Wembley just to enjoy the occasion after setting up an FA Cup semi-final against Wigan Athletic.

The Lions will play Roberto Martinez's side in the last four of the competition in April and Jackett has called on his players to focus on the match rather than the euphoria surrounding it.

Danny Shittu sealed Millwall's passage to the national stadium with the winner in their quarter-final replay against Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday.

"Playing at Wembley will be a great experience," Jackett said. "We'll start planning for it straight away. It is a big game for us and it is a great achievement for us to get there.

"But we want to go to Wembley and do well because Wembley is about winners. But we understand that it will be a tough game against Wigan, who are a very talented side.

"What we've also got to do is make sure we stay in the league because, while we are concentrating on the cup, and that's been the second-half of our season, we've slipped into danger.

"We have been inconsistent in our performances and while I'm very, very pleased tonight we have a big test against Charlton on Saturday and we have to continue to win in the league."

Jackett felt the Lions could and should have won by a greater margin at Ewood Park but was happy with a second clean sheet in four days.

"We played very well," he added. "Scoring goals has been a problem for us and I felt in the second half we were in control and should have scored more.

"We need a little bit more confidence to find that final pass or to take something on. The game was there for us to win 2-0 or 3-0 and I think we are capable of that.

"We did it the hard way – to win 1-0 away from home and keep two successive clean sheets against Blackburn is terrific but our challenge is to put games to bed going forward."

14 thoughts on “Millwall boss eyes Wembley glory after defeating Blackburn

• March 14, 2013 at 00:39

Yes it is jackett. And no better place to start than at the valley come 12:30 on Saturday.
    We now need to be professional and get the players playing to earn their right to be in the semi 11, instead of them thinking they have to remain injury free and clear of suspension. Don't think I can go through another relegation, not when we're at wembley.

• March 14, 2013 at 09:39

In some respects getting to Wembley is an incentive to avoid relegation because there is no guarantee who the starting 11 will be at Wembley and the squad will all be fighting for places during the next few games. AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT I HOPE!!!

• March 14, 2013 at 09:50

Just read the travel arrangements for wembley for millwall fans 1000 are going by car 7000 by train and 32000 are jumping on the bandwagon

• March 14, 2013 at 11:24

Make you right Luke but if they are all cheering for us and they behave themselves it will make a great atmosphere for our boys and hopefully carry them through.

• March 14, 2013 at 11:30

having had a season ticket for 10 years (I'm 18) I couldn't care less about the 'bandwagon fans'.

Just going to enjoy the day and dream of the final. The downs make the ups better.

• March 14, 2013 at 12:17

Slow down chaps, it was a joke I got sent. But I couldn't give a s*** personally. We're the famous millwall and were going to wember...ley wember...ley wember...ley

• March 14, 2013 at 12:23

Who gives a f*** as long as they are cheering us on to victory! Its more gatemoney in our bin. We got to face facts we have a fanbase of about 12k and hardcore support of 8k. So if the rest of London wants to turn up and support us lets ave em. Or until such time we are packing the Den out every week!

• March 14, 2013 at 12:19

Dear all,
    I know I've asked this before but I'm going to ask again. Has anyone got a spare ticket for the Charlton game that I can buy from them?
    Hopefully, some has.
    Yours sincerely,
    Desperate of Sidcup.

• March 14, 2013 at 12:44

Don't worry, I've just got two.

• March 14, 2013 at 13:41

But there's only one of you real. ; )

• March 14, 2013 at 14:00

Got one for my bruv. That's if he's wife doesn't make him go shopping or want's the kitchen ceiling painting - infact anything to stop him going to football. Still, if that is the case, I'm sure one of my sons would snatch my hand off if offered the chance.

• March 14, 2013 at 18:36

It's amazing isn't it, got a selection of mates I've been trying to get down the den all season , within 10 mins of the final whistle last night I was over loaded with texts asking for a wembley ticket. I don't care wether day trippers go or not, I just wish THEY cared abit more and would come and support us when we REALLY need it, not in a game at wembley were support rarely makes a difference to the final score.

• March 14, 2013 at 23:15

Itis amazing how people Joe want me to get tickets for them
    F*** off and become a member like I am

• Pingback: speed dating