Jackett keen to bring in reinforcements before loan deadline

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett has confirmed he will turn to the loan market to strengthen his squad after losing James Henry and Benik Afobe to season-ending knee injuries.

The Millwall boss admitted his side lacked a clinical edge in front of goal during their 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers in Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final and wants to bring in reinforcements.

Winger Henry and forward Afobe have been ruled out for the rest of the campaign after sustaining serious ligament damage last week and Jackett is keen to ensure he has sufficient attacking options.

"Maybe we will [go into the loan market]," he said. "We will assess the games we have left. Finding a forward is not necessarily easy – you have to make sure the people coming in are up to speed.

"It is very easy for someone to come in, having not played regularly, and then lose them quickly to injury. It's hard to get into a rhythm – that's probably happened with Rob Hulse and Nathan Tyson.

"Through no fault of their own, their lack of match practice probably has not helped them. But yes, I'm sure in the run-up to March 28, which is the deadline, we will be looking to strengthen."

59 thoughts on “Jackett keen to bring in reinforcements before loan deadline

• March 11, 2013 at 09:37

Jacket we can all see since Wood has left you have filled that void with tripe, Tyson you brought him in and you don't use him so what is the point!! Hulse you use him but he can't score from 6 yards out, N'Guessan can't control a concrete slab and marquis has had God knows how many chances to shine but to be honest it's not there. Who does that leave? no one!! A question for people that read this Who would you want KJ and JB to go out and buy in the Summer? realistically.

• March 11, 2013 at 10:09

Someone who can control a concrete slab would be good cause if they can control that then a football should be pretty easy. Lol.
      We all have ideas and some of us get it right sometimes. People go on about wood yes he's quality but look at him now leicester have the same recent form as us 1 win in 7 and he hasn't scored for a while and Kane ain't up to much either. The thing that's cost us is when we went 13 unbeaten everyone else around us was doing the same or similar now we can't win for s*** but no one else around us is doing it. we drop 6 or 7 places in our bad run but Leicester drop only 2 or 3. Getting people in is easy, as KJ has said but there's no guarentee it will work. Players with a good pedigree will cost a lot but they'll have to want to come, remember KJ worked with kids up north and worked at Swansea so he'll know about how hard it is for a northerner to settle down south and vise versa. Looks a little trial and era to me at this point, but as for Tyson he's been out injured and is cup tied, if allowed, we should have sent him back. On Scott Malone, his deal includes add ons including appearances, might explain why we haven't seen much of him.
      We'll get a couple more in I'm sure but we need to find our starting 11 for the league and stick to it. Come on KJ I know you can get it sorted.

• March 11, 2013 at 10:38

JB's thought. Won't put enough money forward to get in decent players. KJ doesn't have anything to play with. Looking at bargain basement loanee players.pff.
    All the time we have this get rich, f*** the club mentality at the top. We'll struggle to achieve anything.
    To be honest, I'm sick of harping on about it. And before someone comes to JB's rescue about how he is great and this that and the other.
    Shut up. You know f*** all. More can be done. End of

• March 11, 2013 at 13:06

USA USA USA USA USA, I'm sure you joined us 1000 up at elland rd singing in front of your tv newgen, when we done leeds in the play offs and if you say you was there then you was definately singing it, and as adsy just told ya if it weren't for him we'd have been back in administration by now. Be frustrated and annoyed but don't take the p*** out of the rest of us, we've had enough of the players doing it. Don't you think we all want big name players and a rich sugar daddy newgen but we won't get one if the current owners do rashinal things in a business sense. And he's also said if the right player comes along then if the whole package is right for the club then we will try and compete for him. If we stay up and get to wembley JB will come over to us and clap us like he did that night at elland rd, you'll forget this silly comment and ding his name, along with everybody else.

• March 12, 2013 at 11:12

Yes I'm sure you're Millwall Loyal and yes I know that we would potentially be in financial turmoil without a chairman, and yes, JB has done things for the club. However, unless you are looking at the balance sheet then who are you to say what we can or cannot do financially. We're not a rich club. Given. But more can be done, this isn't an assumption it's a fact. Are you blind to the fact that our talent leaves without even waving goodbye. It's happened for years & years and it probably won't change. But I can't see us getting bigger with our current model. More people that raise this as an issue the less it will be accepted. I don't understand how you can be content with how things stand. I know my feelings are shared and there are other ambitious supporters out there.

• March 12, 2013 at 12:00

New gen I may have been harsh granted. But look at the realisation of who we are and where we are. There are 12 London clubs in the football league mate and the poorest area is south london, the biggest money in south London is probably blackheath, how many people who live there come to watch us. All this talk of ambition and big club, we have never been a big club and might never be, it's nothing to do with ambition, give me a reason why we should be a big club and I'll try to give a business opinion of why it won't happen. I don't want to patronise you in anyway, but your obviously younger than me, you have to look at it financially its for tomorrow, not for today. Please do not think for one minute I don't want the same as you cause that couldn't be further from the truth, I just think it will be very very hard for our club to attract the owner and the type of player that WE ALL WANT. Especially the hungry younger supporters. As for being blind, you tell me one player who says good by in the time you've supported us, only a handful will do that new gen, hurlock did, cascarino did, o'kallaghan did, anton otoluwaski did, more recent Cahill, and Harris did but don't ever expect many to do that it's not a given, it's work mate I haven't always said thanks when I've changed jobs when working for agencies, when I've left a permanent job then yes I have. As for looking at the balance sheet who needs to look at it ? I can see how many fans turn up every week and what players we can or can't sign and believe it or not I can actually READ, how many times do KJ AA and JB have to tell us about what money is coming in and what money is available to us on the playing front. I'm over the f****** moon we ain't in league one losing to Yeovil on a wet and windy Tuesday night then having to go up to Carlisle on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon. Me content ?Seriously, what do you
          think?

• March 12, 2013 at 14:18

Fair play. When I was a kid I used to look up to Keller,Rae, Kennedy, thatcher to name a few. Few of the names you mentioned were before my time. I just get frustrated we miss out on good players and the good ones we have we lose. And can't help but ask questions as to whether we have had to lose them or not. Maybe it is out of our control. This season, prime example. Will we ever break the mold and push up higher and lose the bad habits, I hope so. However, I am proud we are a strong championship team. And if we win tomorrow I'll be even happier. Good luck to ya. It's been emotional....lol
            NewGen-Blackheath

• March 12, 2013 at 15:46

Newgen you've gone up in my estimation. You named some players there that will always stick in your mind just like the ones I mentioned will always stick in mine, why? Cause they were special players mate, and I guess that's all we want to see, special players doing it for our wall. They didnt cost an arm or leg either and some came from our youth team. We've been spoilt with what we've had come through the youths over the yrs but lately it seems to have died a death.
            Like you newgen I'm curious to see what would happen if we went s*** or bust just once. It would be very interesting that's for sure. I'm frustrated too mate, look at those players on Sunday and compare them to the last couple months, they're taking the p*** out of all of us, and people wonder why only 8-10,000 turn up every week. How can they play so consistently s*** for two months then decide to play like they did on Sunday is beyond me and they will put in a shift tomorrow. I just hope they turn up at the valley on Saturday.
            So people in blackheath do come and watch us then : )

• March 11, 2013 at 10:48

At the expense of upsetting NewGen!!!???!!! JB's keeping us afloat and losing money year on year - the money is there for the right player but who is there?

• March 11, 2013 at 11:05

Millwall-1998 - There are some strikers in the lower leagues or not in Championship 1st team plans who could be worth a try. Tom Pope of Port Vale, Clayton Donaldson of Brentford,Leon Griffiths of Wolves who Saunders doesn't seem to rate but is on loan to Hibernian and scoring goals for fun in Scotland, David McGoldrick on loan to Ipswich from Notts Forest not scored many goals for them them since January but was on loan to Coventry in the first part of the season and scored plenty of goals in league 1 and Madine of Sheff Wed whose court case could be sorted out by the Summer. These are just a few realistic permanent targets.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:15

Think his name is Leigh mate

• March 11, 2013 at 11:18

Take Tom Pope off my list. I thought he was out of contract in the Summer but have now seen that he has a contract extension until June 2015 in which case Port Vale will want too much money for him.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:44

We need someone who knows where the goal is fast!!!!

• March 11, 2013 at 11:59

It's a chicken and egg situation with Berylson. Yes, the crowds have been awful of late, but we haven't really invested much in the team since promotion. We're not a big club, but we're bigger than 8/9k home attendances at this level. Berylson and Ambler need to get their heads round why people aren't coming and do something positive about it.

If we stay up, he needs to decide in the summer what direction he wants Millwall to go. I know they say 'be careful what you wish for', but much of the past three seasons has been pretty dire. We can't survive on free-transfers and loans forever at this level.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:17

We get 15,000 for the cup quarter final against Blackburn and under 9,000 for a league match against Wolves on a Tuesday night (with big match on the telly). That had nothing to do with how good or bad the team is, people, for a variety of reasons, are being selective about which matches they attend. When we are doing well it might add 3,000 at best to our 'regular' crowd. If they all spend on average £40 that's another £120,000 once a fortnight. With the losses we are currently running at that doesn't leave a lot left. I personally think JB will make the funds available for the right players and we need to get rid of the dead wood in the summer to free up some more cash. The kind of market we are in, you do need to take a punt, for every Danny Shittu there's a Darren Carter, for every Chris Taylor there's a Scott Malone, but if they don't work out, move them on quick and look at someone else. Loans and free transfers are the way a lot of smaller Championship clubs have to go. Yes, I would like to see our money spent, but spent wisely and in a way that doesn't endanger our future. S*** or bust, IMO in not the way forward.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:18

We can't compete wihtout significant investment in the team... its that simple!! JB, AA and KJ need to really decide where they want the club to go.... at this rate the only place we're going is league 1!!

• March 11, 2013 at 14:06

No worries there, we have the players already for league 1.
      At least they would feel more at home there and we wouldn't have to sign other teams crap!

• March 11, 2013 at 12:43

Please not the ‘loan market’ again. Jackett, if you’re now saying ‘’it’s easy for someone to come in having not played regularly and then lose them quickly to injury’’ why did you get the pair of them in? Hulse and Tyson I mean.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:59

Adsy, No-ones saying go for broke. Kenny's produced some great free-transfers and loans, but there's only so far that will take us before we're relegated again. I think sometimes you have to show just a little bit more ambition in the transfer market than we have.

Less than 15k for a Quarter Final is absolutely disgraceful. We were never such a small club at this level - so what's changed?

I seriously don't think Ambler and Berylson have a clue why our crowds are getting so much worse in comparison with other clubs at this level. They haven't done nearly enough to attract back the majority of our traditional local support that's moved away from the area.

I know it's not easy trying to sell a club like ours, and God knows we have enough idiots who've done untold self-inflicted harm over the years, but I think Ambler & Co have been woeful lately in defending Millwall's core support from unfair treatment by the press and police. For all their faults, Burr and Paphitis were high-profile and backed the supporters in public. At the moment we've effectively got an absentee landlord in Berylson and an apologist for a frontman in Ambler.

• March 11, 2013 at 14:00

How can it be less than 15k when we sold over 15k ourselves and Blackburn sold over 1700k if you go every week or once in a blue moon you can see there was more than 15k. It winds me up when the papers do that.
      I must add that now it's the day after and things have settled after yesterday,
      I think the whole squad and management should come out all together and issue a huge apology for the performances they've put in before yesterday, how obvious was it that they would turn up and give a "wall" performance ? There's no way you can tell me they could not have performed like that in the previous two months. As happy as I am, I'm fuming that those squad of players can take the p*** out of the fans who pay their wages like that. And there's not one person out there that can disagree, it's shameful, disgusting and unprofessional. Fare play to the boys yesterday it was good to see but they've now set the Bar for the rest of the season. No excuses this time.

• March 11, 2013 at 14:29

Our web site was telling us on Friday that we had sold over 15,000. Someone must have got their figures from somewhere. It must surely have been nearer 17,000.

• March 11, 2013 at 14:34

LOL - I remember in the old days when we used to get decent crowds. You'd be standing like sardines all match then read in the paper we had 9,000! Old man Purser used to pocket the rest and avoid the taxman. Don't think you can get away with that now! Mind you, when we had a bad result the windows of his showroom used to smashed in - aaah, the good old days. The only apology I want is for the team to not play as s*** as they had been - Wolves has got to be one of the worst performances in years - I can accept that we can't win every game but to go down without a fight - whoever is in the team is inexcusable - the real fans deserve more than that!

• March 11, 2013 at 15:00

bit weird! I swear I heard it was 14,800 - but then read we'd sold over 15k ourselves.... I refuse to believe over 200 people got tickets and just didnt turn up!!

• March 11, 2013 at 13:02

• March 11, 2013 at 13:02

The loan market hasn't worked for us this season, I mean wood obviously worked but at the moment there is nowone of he's quality available, tyson was bad move nothing about he aint played games he has always been injury prone, and hulse can't score frm three yards, the closest we come to scoring is danny shittu from 50 yards, lowry once again picked up a yellow malone needs a shot at left back not left mid, players need to leave to free up cash, ngussean,batt,racon,marquis even probaly wright who dnt seem to cut it at championship. No more s*** loans jackett and spend cash even if its lower league players hungry to play at higher level, I rate clayton donaldson and max clayton looks a good player at crewe.

• March 11, 2013 at 13:03

The loan market hasn't worked for us this season, I mean wood obviously worked but at the moment there is nowone of he's quality available, tyson was bad move nothing about he aint played games he has always been injury prone, and hulse can't score frm three yards, the closest we come to scoring is danny shittu from 50 yards, lowry once again picked up a yellow malone needs a shot at left back not left mid, players need to leave to free up cash, ngussean,batt,racon,marquis even probaly wright. No more s*** loans jackett and spend cash even if its lower league players hungry to play at higher level, I rate clayton donaldson and max clayton looks a good player at crewe.

• March 11, 2013 at 13:40

Sorry Micky I have to disagree with you. JB and KJ and AA have ALWAYS stuck up for the fans, even when we have been indefensible at times. There must be times when they are tearing their hair out (not AA of course) at the way the minority behave. Paphitis was the one who introduced the dreaded membership scheme which had a massive adverse effect on our crowds. Old Reggie was also not widely known for his investment in the team even when we managed to reach the top league. I would dispute that the loan system hasn't worked for us. I have my doubts about the quality of Hulse or Tyson, but Wood and Smith have been great at certain times. Unfortunately, loans are a big part of the championship these days (palarse got Dobie and Phillips in to good effect), most clubs need to take players on loan. Wood left us in the s*** when he decided to join Leicester at the last minute. The problem has been finding the right quality replacements. All the lower league strikers mentioned are playing (on the whole) for teams who are playing for promotion, their clubs are not going to sell them now unless for an over inflated fee.

• March 11, 2013 at 14:30

Would just like to point out that if we did invest into a top dollar team and didn't go up we'd be f***** completely. We run on a loss as it is, for now we should be loooking to cement our place in this league and maybe push for a top half finish.

• March 11, 2013 at 15:07

I completely agree we need to cement our place in this league but free's and loans wont do that and signing the likes of Tyson and Hulse is a big step backwards based on us starting the seaosn with Henderson and Wood!

• March 11, 2013 at 14:45

Just while the thread is touching on attendances, charlton are getting into schools in my area, Sidcup and making tickets available for the nippers. I have no idea yet how this is being policed, pricing or availability, but it shows the things that could be done to drum up new support.

• March 11, 2013 at 14:57

Yeah, I've noticed that as well in Sidcup. They have been up to things like this for years now. Even when the Ford showroom Laidlaw in Old Bexley was going strong there was always some car promotion involving Charlton giving out free match tickets. Presumably, along with the free tickets they also gave out notepads for their trainspotting and the odd anorak or two.

• March 11, 2013 at 17:17

Not trumpet blowing, but less than a month ago a couple of us raised it and I said I remember when we used to go to local schools. I went to school in brockley and every Thursday after school we had David Thompson Steve wood or Wesley Reid turn up with Gary stemple and sometimes Ron bell, those two run our community scheme. The school got tickets all the time, schools in deptford new cross brockley and southwark were always getting tickets. It would help the club no end. I swear an awful lot but very rarely do I let slip in front of my kids, and I'm convinced the more kids we had on match days the less foul and abusive language will be used. It won't stop completely especially with some of the refs and linos we get, but it will help clean up our image. But saying that watching what we have the past month or two it would probably make those kids swear. sort the team out first then the club can argue their point about getting bums on seats.

• March 11, 2013 at 15:03

Let's face it, we are not seen by parents as a good day out for little Timmy and his mates thanks to the negative press and the behaviour of some.

• March 11, 2013 at 15:03

I know it sounds negative but IMO considering we are competing against rich clubs who are or have been living on parachute payments, a mid table finish is a success for a club the size of ours with our very limited resources. Sure we can on our day turn the bigger sides over but with a small squad of players it only takes a couple of injuries to key players and we are back in the s*** again, it happens every year.
    The bigger teams have stronger squads and can usually ride out a bit of bad luck.
    Before we start wishing for the club to throw money around in a bid to ensure success you only have to look around to see the teams that failed and nearly disappeared (Portsmouth, Premier to League 2 in record time) due to spending money they didn't have

• March 11, 2013 at 15:06

Most non-Millwall parents would rather their kid joined the moonies than align them to Millwall!

• March 11, 2013 at 15:26

I think one of the biggest problems we have is the fact that over the years so many of our fans have moved away from the area. A home game for me is a 3 hour drive each way, I am a season ticket holder, but then Wall is an extended part of my family. To others, the thought of a long drive on a cold tuesday evening, to watch their team play s***, isn't that appealing. A day out at Wembly is a different thing, I'll have some of that!!!. Over the years I have bought new people along, but there is always something, we either play s***, or the jokers throw bottles or the press give us a hard time because of things that happened 30 years ago. And guess what ,they will not come back. It really is unsolvable. Why weren't we full on Sunday? To me first and foremost we have to give people something decent to watch every week. Then we can try and bring back old fans or attract new ones. The club does do a lot in the community, but it doesn't attract new fans. And the answer is????????????

• March 11, 2013 at 16:16

It's important we're seen to still be doing the right thing in the local community, but the truth is unless we attract a Sugar Daddy who's going to buy us success, we have limited appeal to the new people who now live in our traditional heartland boroughs of Southwark, Lewisham and parts of Greenwich.

I think the club have their head in the sand at the moment about attendances - blaming the recession and size of the club at this level (since when?). Most of us think this Division is our rightful place, but it's sounding more and more like we might as well just pack up and go back to the lower leagues.

Personally I'd like to see a completely new PR & Commercial team - with ideas beyond just freezing season ticket prices and 'friend for a £1' type-schemes. We have to be more pro-active in attracting youngsters, even if it means taking a hit for several years as part of the strategy. We've also got to think how we can improve transport links to the ground - it's all well to talk about bussing fans in from Kent/Surrey, but we can't even get South Bermondsey Station open for half the home games.

• March 11, 2013 at 16:26

I certainly agree Micky, the club could do a lot more. I know it was light years ago, but when I was a kid, local pro's came into schools and gave training sessions. Probably not allowed now, have to be CRB checked etc. But, something along those lines, get the players involved once in a while, they must have a fair amount of free time after training. A thought.

• March 11, 2013 at 16:20

I agree with a lot of what you say but also the cost of going to a match with your kids (travel, programme, tickets etc) has become prohibitively expensive for 90mins of so called entertainment (lol).
      I know a lot of the other teams pull in more crowds but this is largely due to some of the very rich owners ploughing in millions for players and thus a bit of success that generates the extra gates.
      some of the teams have always been big clubs ie: Birmingham, Leeds, etc.
      We have always been a small club fact. We have had our good periods such as the Possee, Weller era in the 70's when we would get 12-15000 and in the old 1st div in our 1st season, but when the success and the excitement dies the extra gates dwindle until we are back to our hardcore 8000.
      This has been the case for nearly all the years I have been following the Lions, and that is a long long time.

• March 11, 2013 at 15:38

Charlton run coaches from medway and there are thousand of millwall down hear,at the old den we had a car park which was always full at home game that what putting people off from coming because there is no where to park

• March 11, 2013 at 17:06

Agree Micky, I'd like to see some creativity around trying to soften our image to the wider public.

• March 11, 2013 at 18:00

Personally I think we have been over achiveing sinse we came up and that was because of morison and then kane and keogh and this season wood, look at the teams and there squads and think where are we in the list of 24, how many are worse than us, I can't think of many

• March 11, 2013 at 18:22

Times have changed aye boys, we're not kids anymore, and technology has moved on ten fold. At the old den very few had mobile phones and the only computers was the old school Apple Macs, atari's and commodore's. all good if your mum and dad let you play them for a couple hrs here and there, but most of us was more interested in going out with our mates talking s*** having a kick about in the park and pretending we was hard having a little puff. The only tv stations was 1-4 and we only played a couple live games (Robert fleck is still a mug and that ref was a cheat, 5 mins injury time my a***) We moved to the new den and all of a sudden everyone's in the pubs and getting mobile phones. 20 yrs on we got our own kids who are talking s*** with their mates on mobile phones or laptops and most of em are sitting on the same sofa, they don't want to go out and have a kick about in the park they want your money so they can go bluewater cause you won't let em go lewisham or woolwich. And I can't tell you how many tv channels there are and how much live football there is. Players are on upto 200 grand a week and sky are paying a team to be relegated.
    That's where we are as fans, divided between the old den and the new den, reading all the posts you can just about work out who's who cause of their opinions. The ones with, this is millwall lets be cautious with our finances and appreciate what JB and KJ are doing and lets establish ourselves in this division are obviously old den, the ones who want money spent on big players and take a financial risk to give us a shot at prem and thank KJ for what he's done but now's time for someone else to take us forward to the promised land at all costs are obviously new den. Who's right and who's wrong ? We sometimes have to take a step back to move a good couple steps forward. I believe we've already done that, you also have to give the players a chance to prove their worth in the champship before making a change, we haven't finished our third season yet, we've made changes in that time, some good some bad, we still need to get rid of a lot of the league one players which KJ is trying to do but a club like ours can't do it all at once and for every one you get rid of, you have to bring another one in, it's simple to do but it's hard to get the right ones on our budget. The longer we're in this division the easier it will be to attract the players needed but we have to do it season by season and we won't be top six or top half every yr, sometimes we will struggle but as long as we stay in champship that should be all that matters cause you never know, next yr may well be our season.
    Millwall, enough said.

• March 11, 2013 at 18:50

Nice one Luke couldn't have put it any better.

• March 11, 2013 at 19:00

Haha, hurt my thumb doing it mate
        F****** long aint it. Lol

• March 11, 2013 at 19:06

Yes, well said as always!

• March 11, 2013 at 19:35

Thought you were a lot younger than you obviously are Luke, well put. Like you I feel as long as we are in this division and competing well then that'll do for me, would like to see us in the top division again for the younger ones but they've been spoilt enough as it is to be fair. My brothers 18 and seen us at wembley 3 times , fa cup final, few promotions, some excellent derby wins, and a european tour. I feel that is why his generation expect a little bit too much. If they think this is bad, they are lucky they wernt there through some of the real s*** we've had over the years. The novelty would soon wear off after they see us get destroyed a few times in the prem! It's not all its cracked up to be, give me a battle for promotion over a battle to stay up any day! Much more exciting. I'm sure Mr Berylson would strongly disagree though.

• March 11, 2013 at 19:54

Arrrh cheers fellas, your making me cry.
    82 I'd love it but look what happened to us last time, hurlock broke my heart by going to rangers jimmy went to Liverpool vas buggered off to villa, teddy scored a ridiculous amount of goals Brighton smashed us all over the place
    and to kick all that off the doc got the tin tac
    Only to be replaced by the chief scout Bob Pearson, after that it was doom and gloom. Can't go through sll that s*** again but saying that the youngster in me would love for it to happen to us if only once.

• March 12, 2013 at 00:26

don't understand why a lot of you guys on here keep saying we shouldn't be having loan signings, if we aint got money to buy em what we spose to do. yeah hulse and tyson look bad loans but you can't keep picking on the bad ones and saying we shouldn't do loans , what about adam smith, shittu,wood, harry kane,andros townsend,puncheon these were excellent players for millwall and all were loans , i'm certain jacket would have bought the lot if he had the money, but we aint so you do the next best thing. iread on here last week someone said beevers was good whilst on loan but soon as we bought him he is s*** so your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

• March 12, 2013 at 00:37

just a thought but two of the players we bought this season beevers there's a lot of people on here now saying they don't rate him, scott malone is another we bought , no one seems to rate him,he cant even get in the side, now we've bought these so we cant send em back, at least we can send tyson and his mate back. my point is loan or buy there is no guarentee its a lottery either way

• March 12, 2013 at 00:55

I still rate Beevers and Smith but I think as young players, the recent run has got to them at times. Also not having a striker to hold the ball up means it just keeps coming back, midfield are not in the right place and the defenders get exposed. Like you say Borders, loans are a necessity for a club like ours; at least then we can send the ones who don't work out back. It's very hard to get quality in permanently other than in the close season.

• March 12, 2013 at 06:53

Your both right, most of our team are ex loans and free transfers, but before someone jumps on me and says how s*** they are I'm talking about the ones you'd start out of the squad we have. Come the summer there's a lot if good players who'll need to find clubs, but to have a chance of getting them we'll need to be in this division, even then there's no guarentee of getting them. As for beevers being s*** since we signed him, I think people try and be different in who they wish to blame so they're not following everyone else, he's had a couple iffy games but do has shittu and the rest of em, on Tuesday last week Eubanks Blake gave shittu the run around no one came on here to point it out cause it was the shitt,

• March 12, 2013 at 10:06

While I agree that our club cannot survive without loans and it is nice to try before you buy, I feel that why some people are against having loan players make up the side is that the players are not Wall.
      As we have seen in the recent past they just get up and leave when they get a better offer or get pulled back by their parent teams when required.
      This makes it impossible to build a settled side or even to improve the side on a permanent basis. We get to rely on the good loan players and it is a kick in the teeth when they leave and our team is back to square one again.
      We want a group of players who want to play for Millwall who we can identify with and are willing to commit for more than a few months.

• March 12, 2013 at 10:50

Valid point sealion, it is a disruption but we blame KJ for not bringing anyone in permanently, and curse him for bringing in loans at the last minute of the transfer windows or in the loan windows. Sorry but KJ is not that naive or stupid to not realise the affect it will have on our team and support, if you actually look closer you'll realise the pattern of when these players come in, every manager has the same time to bring new players in but some need to sell to raise funds for new players which in our case we actually struggle to sell. It's obvious we try in the early part of the window to bring em in hence us having to either wait to see what's left or wait to use the loan market. It's a s*** reality that we're a huge part of, unfortunately. But KJ has told us this time and again, he's not coping out he's telling us how it is.

• March 12, 2013 at 11:14

It's the same story every season regarding strikers. For me it's becoming a bit of a farce. I'd rather Kenny give the youngsters a shout before panicking and scraping the bottom of the barrel in signing Hulse and Tyson.

• March 12, 2013 at 12:09

Spot Harry, but how many would slaughter him for doing it. I'd definately prefer him to do that than waste all that money, he could save it for someone in the summer. And by then we could have a decent player on our hands.

• March 12, 2013 at 20:26

yeah in a perfect world all our players would be home grown through the youth system and signed on, but this is millwall, no money, and who are these youth players the manager is spose to put in, marquis is the best of em and he's nowhere near good enough, connor wilkinson well maybe but lets be safe in this division first, and thats it, there's no one else knocking on the door. so with no money it has to be loans like it or not, and don't forget i reckon our player of the year this season will be james henry , and he was here on loan before we bought him, add him to my earlier list

• March 13, 2013 at 22:53

I read the above and have some thoughts of my own. Whilst the debate goes on about loans v permanent signings we seem to be forgetting the lifeblood of Millwall and teams if the ilk. The likes of palarse bring a kid through the ranks, sell him for £15m and then loan him back. How can Millwall finance their debts if they don't bring through youth players and sell them in once a little more polished. I personally would rather see youngsters brought into the team to add another dimension to the squad that is now needed in football. Kj seems intent in ignoring such players and using the loan system not as back up but as a way of strengthening the first team. How are these kids ever going to get acquainted with what real wall is if they never get off or even on the bench. Whilst I know it's a results business and kj would fear for his job, he would surely agree this way forward with jb. Then we wouldn't have crap strikers earning bundles who couldn't give one.

Anyone fancy zigic on 70 grand a week?

Oh and if it meant one or two years in league one - so be it.

I am obviously of the cautious old den brigade and getting older every day!!

• Pingback: tester