Smith: Millwall confident of beating Blackburn in replay

© Julie Badrick
© Julie Badrick

JACK Smith says Millwall will travel to Blackburn Rovers full of confidence in their FA Cup quarter-final replay despite missing the chance to put the tie to bed.

The Lions, who face a semi-final date with Wigan Athletic at Wembley if they progress, created a host of chances but were held to a goalless draw by Rovers at The Den on Sunday.

Kenny Jackett's side now face a trip to Lancashire on Wednesday night for the replay and Smith says Millwall will take heart from their 2-0 league victory at Ewood Park in November.

"We thought we did enough to win the game," Smith said. "We had chances so maybe we've missed an opportunity. But I thought we were the better team so hopefully we'll carry that on.

"As a team we looked a bit more solid. After the Wolves defeat on Tuesday we needed a better start to get the fans back on side again. They were really good and gave us a boost.

"When we played Blackburn away we beat them 2-0 – we were the better team on that day as well so we go into the game with a bit of confidence. They haven't scored against us yet either.

"We know we'll create chances so hopefully we'll put a couple away this time. We still have a massive opportunity. It's a great incentive to get to Wembley."

And Smith believes the Lions' tactics may be better suited to playing on the road. He  said: "With the way we are set up, with our formation and three in the middle, it might be easier to play away.

"We can contain them and then counter-attack. In both games against Blackburn this season I feel we have edged them both."

13 thoughts on “Smith: Millwall confident of beating Blackburn in replay

• March 11, 2013 at 10:41

We might stand a chance if Smith stays in the dressing room. Played s***. Best off not talking to reporters and learning to hold on to the ball and make decent passes.

• March 11, 2013 at 18:11

You plonker .... He was the difference played really well

• March 11, 2013 at 22:00

Your on a wind up surely.
      What the f*** was you watching
      And what the f*** did you just read
      Newgen sort yourself out pal he was mustard

• March 11, 2013 at 11:01

Thinking NewGen was watching a different match on Sunday?

Jack made all the difference in mid-field, and it's probably the first time this year that our mid-field hasn't looked out of their depth. I think he did a good job, holding up the ball, and making the right passes throughout the game.

Need some more cover on the wings ... and someone up front who can actually hit a ball into the net, and we'd be looking a lot better.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:31

Agree with you Grunth, Smithy was doing the job that Tam used to do so well for us, broke things up, protected the back four, made himself available and played a couple of blinding ATTACKING passes as well as keeping the ball moving. As a result we had a much higher tempo than against Wolves and actually looked like scoring.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:21

I must have. Cos that's not what I saw. Our midfield struggled. Passes going astray. Smith I noticed more than anyone else

• March 11, 2013 at 22:07

Smith you noticed more than anyone else cause he had the ball more than anyone else. Great break up and positional awareness, available for the ball at all times moving and full of energy, great distribution and had the ability to change it up when David dunne came on - who I thought caused us a lot of problems and one we need to be careful of on weds night - best performance in a wall shirt for me.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:45

I didn't think Smith had played that well until I watched the highlights Sunday night. Smith made at least 4 passes to Taylor that split their defence, one being the one that Taylor sent across to Hulse to sky over the bar from 3 Foot. Plus numerous other stops and passes. He played a blinder.

• March 11, 2013 at 11:56

I agree that Smith had the best game for a LONG time and looked a very convincing midfielder with some lovely taking passes that switched play when we needed to or set up attacking chances. In my view he was one of our best players on Saturday.

• March 11, 2013 at 17:11

That's the problem with the "new gen" if the bloke isn't messi or ronaldo he's s***. Clearly a lot of failure to understand what jack smiths roll in the midfield was yesterday. He did his job very well and was my 2nd choice MOM. Also I felt we ran the midfield until they bought dunn on, then he had abit of quality that they were lacking.

• March 11, 2013 at 22:17

82 I couldn't agree more. I posted a few replies above but the one outstanding attribute I can't believe I missed was what was the difference in previous performances. SMITH'S FIRST TOUCH
      Was sublime at times and cause of his first touch he had time and space to find a pass. Basics done very well, and look at what was achieved. Also is it me or does Taylor look like he'll make a very good attacking center mid ?

• March 11, 2013 at 19:02

Not a smith fan, but he was running the midfield, maybe a one off, still prefer wright, but if smith brings the best out oftrotter then leave him in

• March 11, 2013 at 23:02

Jack Smith for England!!!! Miles better than Wright (IMO, not good enough). In all seriousness, we've been over run in midfield in recent weeks, not Saturday. Hope he can repeat that level of performance as I think the role he played will mean an improvement in Trott's performance. Taylor was brilliant, like an attacking version of Jimmy.