Appleton claims Millwall took "cheap shots" at Blackburn

© Ian Bines
© Ian Bines

BLACKBURN Rovers boss Michael Appleton claimed Millwall took "cheap shots" at his players during Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final at The Den.

Speaking after the 0-0 draw, Appleton implied that referee Martin Atkinson had allowed the Lions to be overly-physical – an accusation that was rejected by his counterpart Kenny Jackett.

Rovers defender Scott Dan sustained a cut above his eye in a challenge with Rob Hulse during the first-half and Appleton was clearly unhappy with what he saw as a lack of protection of his players.

"There were a lot of tackles flying around – a couple of cheap shots which were disappointing," he said. "I think the replay on Wednesday is going to be a completely different game.

"There were a few arms flailing but that's part and parcel of the game. I'm sure Scott is big enough and bold enough to get on with it, as he did.

"As long as we get a strong referee on Wednesday, I'm sure there won't be a problem. But if there was ever a game I wanted to come out of retirement and play in, it was probably this one."

But when Appleton's comments were put to Jackett, the Millwall boss said: "I don't think so, I didn't think that was the case. I didn't think my players were like that at all, no."

Midfielder Jack Smith added: "I didn't see any cheap shots. They seemed to fall over if we breathed on them if anything."

9 thoughts on “Appleton claims Millwall took "cheap shots" at Blackburn

• March 11, 2013 at 06:39

Man up Appleton you tart. If anyone was taking cheap shots it was Bentley who was looking to get our players in the book.
    Stronger ref,dont make me laugh Atkinson had swallowed the whistle for the first 20mins. He was blowing up for everything.
    You aint got a clue.

• March 11, 2013 at 22:45

'Man up Appleton you tart.' Great line Al, says it all really.

• March 11, 2013 at 08:18

Yes, it would be good to get a stronger ref. Someone who'll book their players for constantly falling over (well said Jack Smith) and trying to get our players booked instead of turning a blind eye. Cheap shots - what a t***.
    Come on lads play them off the park on Wednesday and shut that idiot up.

• March 11, 2013 at 08:47

So that's why Bentley steamed in on N'Guessan within the first 10 seconds

• March 11, 2013 at 09:43

I haven't got a problem with managers coming out and protecting their players or doing a bit of PR work for their own fans, someone like Warnock is a master of it, but you Appleton just sound like a manager who knows his team was outplayed and outmuscled and thats rhe best you can come up with. I remember you at pompey when you blamed our pitch for a defeat. As for coming out of retirement, do us all a favour and get your boots on so our 3 dog can get hold of you. Mug.

• March 11, 2013 at 10:07

Oh! and Bentley wasn't having digs at N'Gueson even at the kick off? Mind you he wimped out after a strong tackle from Lowry and a barage from the crowd!!!!!! And who was the missing link with the beard in the back four? He dished it out but screamed like a b*tch when he got tackled. Appleton wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!

• March 11, 2013 at 10:43

This just shows what an inexperienced and immature manager he is. Blackburn are w***. We should've buried them yesterday. If we lose on Wednesday we have only ourselves to blame.

• March 11, 2013 at 19:04

Fuck1ng p****, it's not our fault he played posers like Bentley who did not want the ball as he knew Lowry would launch him, oh he did lol

• Pingback: this is me