Jackett rues missed chances as Blackburn tie goes to replay

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

KENNY Jackett was left frustrated with his side's finishing after Blackburn Rovers took Millwall to a replay in their FA Cup quarter-final.

The Lions were held to a goalless draw at The Den but spurned a host of chances to guarantee their place in the last four of the competition at the first time of asking.

Forward Rob Hulse was guilty of the game's worst miss, lofting Andy Keogh's cut-back over the bar from inside the six-yard box in the 63rd minute of a tight encounter.

Jackett said: "I have some frustration because there was a win there for us. Goalscoring has been a problem for us in 2013 – we had an outstanding 2012.

"Today showed that when we get on top of the opposition, put them under pressure and create chances, we need to score. But there was no lack of passion from the players.

"It was a tremendous atmosphere and I'm sure the crowd felt, like me, that there was a win there for us. Unfortunately we couldn't just find the finish or that final ball.

"We put a lot of balls into the box with players in there – but it did not fall for us or we did not finish things off. We need to find goalscoring inside and outside of the club to improve."

Jackett sympathised with Hulse after his miss and is hoping the QPR loanee will have better luck in front of goal in the weeks ahead.

"Rob scored a key goal for us against Luton earlier in the competition before picking up an injury," he said. "In the few games that he's had for us, he's had chances.

"That does give me encouragement because when forwards make chances and get on the end of things, the goals will come for somebody of his experience.

"When you play forwards and they don't have a shot or look like scoring, then there is a problem. But he has looked the one most likely to score and that was the case today."

The Lions will travel to Lancashire for the replay on Wednesday and Jackett revealed he is likely to tinker with his starting line-up again, having made six changes for this match.

"I think it will change slightly," he said. "If you look at our away form, that has been good so far this season. We've been up to Ewood Park before in the league so we know a lot about each other.

"If you're looking for a favourite, it is close but I'm sure it would slightly be the home side. We will perhaps have to change things in terms of fresh energy.

"From the players' point of view, they have a big test this week. We shouldn't worry about the extra game before the local derby against Charlton on Saturday.

"It's a big week and we're looking forward to Wednesday night."

21 thoughts on “Jackett rues missed chances as Blackburn tie goes to replay

• March 10, 2013 at 18:54

Do blackburn have a proper playing surface on the pitch ?

• March 10, 2013 at 19:02

We should have put one away which would have been enough.
    On a different note - sorry mr Aldridge -
    Get in there what a semi draw Wigan and I believe being the first ball out the hat is the home team which I believe is us after we beat Blackburn on Wednesday. I really wanted this draw more than anything they have given me two of my worst feelings being a wall supporter, and I seriously believe we owe them massively especially at wembley. So again COYL lets av it on Wednesday

• March 10, 2013 at 20:40

Totally agree Luke. It's such a shame it didn't happen today but that's our luck at the moment. Can't understand why Hulse stayed on the full duration but hey I'm not Jacket. Still, we do seem to be playing better away just lately, so you never know we could be there again and yes, Wigan is a great draw. Presumably, we will still get the same money playing them as we would have got playing either of the other semi-finalists? Let's hope we can get past Wednesday.
      Good luck boys, on the pitch and those going up there and paying to watch 'em on a cold wintery night.

• March 10, 2013 at 21:08

On the money side of things real
        I believe the tv revenue will be the same for all four teams and I'm led to believe the fa pay the semi final losers £450,000 and the winners get £900,000. Winning this round the fa will pay £360,000. Not sure what the tv prize funds are worth.

• March 10, 2013 at 22:01

Thanks mate. Worth knowing.

• March 10, 2013 at 22:11

Real I found some more news on tv money and fa money
          Preston was £67,500
          Aston villa was £90,000
          Luton game was £212,000 for tv and £180,000 from fa for winning
          Today's was £212,000 for tv the replay will pay £106,000 for tv and the fa will pay the winners £360,000.
          So far our prize money is worth £867,500. Including weds replay. A win on Wednesday then you add £360,000 for winning and a minimum £450,000 for semi final.

• March 11, 2013 at 08:10

Blimey Luke, perhaps Hulse missed that open goal on purpose just like we missed the penalty against Tranmere at the Den for the 2004 cup? I wonder if that's the reason Jackett kept him on knowing full well he can't hit a cows a*** with a banjo?
            It's so good that money is actually starting to come to the club rather than the club haemorrhaging money.

• March 11, 2013 at 08:49

Stranger things have happened and I'd like to think hulse did miss on purpose but sorry mate the fella's s****, even little jimmy would have out that chance away. Never mind at least we're earning done money, I'm more interested in where its going to be spent

• March 10, 2013 at 19:16

Yuck horrible draw

• March 10, 2013 at 19:58

Lincoln they distroyed us in 99 not only at wembley but in the play offs it left me heart broken mate. I always wanted a chance to avenge them for that 93 minute goal at wembley especially as there was a blatant hand ball in the build up, we deserved more that day and that season but hey ho. We now can do to them what they done to us but this time it will hurt them more than us to lose. its their first ever fa cup semi and our 5th, and it's probably the easiest of the ties. Great opportunity all the same.

• March 10, 2013 at 20:14

luke, lets just get past blackburn or you'll end up topping yerself if it goes tits up. its blackburn next wigan don't even exist yet , don't think past the next game, blackburn. and i want all the razors and anything sharp removed from your gaff

• March 10, 2013 at 21:19

Haha excellent. Better lock me up in a padded cell then borders. Lol.
      Of course your right and I'm getting carried away but I'm happy about our performance today and if you didn't already guess I'm over the moon about the draw. Yes if we get through they're more than capable of turning us over big time, but tonight I'll sleap easy and have a little revenge over Wigan with an Alan Dunne hat-trick to boot.
      Haha I like it borders.

• March 10, 2013 at 20:15

Good hard working performance but same problem still there, no class up front. Players can run there socks off for the cause, and it was so much better. But in the end class will come thought and we ain't got it up front . Dany worked hard but would he get in any other championship side, we can huff and puff but although it was a far better performance the problem is we do not look like we have a goal in us.

• March 10, 2013 at 22:33

They had a multi million strike force up front . We got old cast offs up front. Danny ran he socks off but his confidence is rock bottom. Needs a longer run in team. How did Hulse miss? He didn't even turn up really and was not switch on at all. Rather have a hungry youth player but he went on loan. Trust in Kenny. he given us some amazing days so far. I am fan of Alan Dune. Millwall though and though but still the crowd give him stick. so I would like to say goodbye to Hulse and wish him luck elsewhere and please Kenny go and find a tall hungry player. Maybe Oldham Mat Smith is affordable.

• March 10, 2013 at 23:31

Colly, that's the guy I have been touting for the last 6 weeks, a young tall energetic striker in fact anyone but Hulse and tyson

• March 10, 2013 at 23:42

That was much more like it. If we played like that for the rest of the season we would not be talking about a relgation battle. Only one problem, we are still missing a decent striker, best two shots on goal came from Shittu, Keogh was much better than late, Hulse, for me did very little. I really do not beleive that Marquis is up to this standard, and Tyson, what can you say.
    I thought Smith had a really good game, some of his passing was brilliant.
    I am not too sure why KJ wants to change the side on Wednesday,(Unless he finds another striker, who is not cup-tied) He talks about fresh energy, surely these are proffesional sportsman, this should not be a problem.

• March 11, 2013 at 01:10

Agree with all Rikki -I think KJ will bring another forward in this week!

• March 11, 2013 at 06:24

Well said Rikki, we dont need to tinker with the team except to bring in a hungry strike partner for Keogh. But who?
    Maybe give bomber or claridge a call and find out what there upto on Weds :))

• March 11, 2013 at 06:25

Maybe give bomber or claridge a call and find out what there upto on Weds!

• Pingback: News at Den | Jackett keen to bring in reinforcements before loan deadline

• Pingback: tester