Jackett: Millwall fired up by the prospect of Wembley return

© Alan Stanford/Focus Images Ltd.
© Alan Stanford/Focus Images Ltd.

KENNY Jackett says the prospect of a third trip to Wembley in four years has Millwall fired up ahead of their FA Cup quarter-final against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday.

The Lions have played at the national stadium twice before during Jackett's reign – League One play-off finals in 2009 and 2010 – and can book a return with a win over Rovers.

"Playing at Wembley again is a great prospect," Jackett said. "A really good cup run is not something I've had as a manager at Millwall yet. We have a fantastic chance to change that.

"I have been disappointed with the recent run of form in the league and the way we've fallen away down the table, there is no doubt about that.

"But this is a different competition and a big chance in a one-off game. If we are good enough to go and win on Sunday, we'll be one step away from the final.

"If we win, hopefully the confidence and attention that is generated from that result could really kick us on. Whichever way you look at it, it's a key game in our season."

But Millwall head into the match on the back of seven defeats in their last ten and Jackett has called for an immediate response from his players after their 2-0 defeat to Wolves in midweek.

The 51-year-old, a finalist himself with Watford in 1984, believes a frenzied atmosphere at The Den could prove to be key and is keen to ensure his side capitalise on playing in front of their own fans.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "If you had a choice, you'd take a home tie all day. We are going to pack the place out and there's going be a great atmosphere with the crowd right behind us.

"If that makes us favourites, then we have to recognise the opportunity we've got because this is the furthest we've been in the competition for quite a while, certainly since I've been here.

"There is a big build up to the game. There's a lot of media attention and that type of atmosphere in the build up and on the day is great. Our supporters will take the roof off and ensure they back us.

"We have got to make our home advantage tell. We haven't done that of late but the crowd have still been good to us. We've got to put on a good performance and feed off the crowd.

"Our run of form has been horrible. We put in two good away performances at Middlesbrough and Leeds but our last two at home against Peterborough and Wolves have been really below par.

"We've got to identify where we need to improve – and then come out fighting."

11 thoughts on “Jackett: Millwall fired up by the prospect of Wembley return

• March 8, 2013 at 14:16

To be honest it's more than a one off game with wembley at stake. After the last month or two it's been defeat after defeat, the players have been lost and down in the dumps. I was against this cup run based on recent league form but now I'm thinking that maybe our best available players who've been missing lately can focus on the good they've done by getting into the 1/4s, they can look back and think it actually aint as bad is we've made it. To get to wembley they have to improve. There will be a big crowd behind them in a big, important game. If they win, which I predict we will 3-1,they will be feeling very confident going into the Charlton game.again there will be a big crowd behind them, 3000 millwall away ain't there to sit down and be quiet, it's a big game but now, it's a HUGE game, we will make it a home game for the boys on the pitch. Again I predict a win for us, all of a sudden the players will have picked up 2 massive wins and confidence will be back and restored. I believe that we NEED to win Sunday to turn our season around and to carry that feeling into our remaining league games. If we do then we will be financially much better off.
    Sunday is bigger than a day out at wembley.
    COYL.

• March 8, 2013 at 17:30

I can't believe we're going into a Quarter Final on such a low. Hopefully by 2pm on Sunday the crowd will be buzzing again, but it's about time the team played their part too. It's certainly not the best Millwall side we've ever had, but Blackburn are no world-beaters themselves.

Staying up this year is the priority, but games like this are still huge for a club like ours. Lets hope we can enjoy it.

• March 8, 2013 at 22:01

It's been hard to take micky and I can't remember anything like it. It was bad when we went down in 2006 after losing a lot of very good players. It's almost hard to disagree with anyone's negative opinion at the moment cause a lot of it is brutal honesty I know I differ from it but don't think for one minute I haven't had those thoughts myself, I'm gonna try my best to stay positive until its mathematically impossible. Now if we do stay up I believe Kenny and the board owe us a change or 9 in player personnel. Cause a lot of em have shown their true colours these past couple months. I have a 4yr old at home breaking me to take him down the den, I'm promising him next season, but what I'm watching doesn't warrant the grief from her indoors. I will take him of course but KJs group of current players are not deserving of my 4yr olds support. I've seen enough relegations play offs promotions wembleys and cardiffs to last a lifetime but if you were to ask me three months ago to name my worst 11 probably one or two of this team would have got in it, but, now I reckon maybe 5 or 6 would get in. IMO that is far to many in any one team.
        On the plus side Blackburn at home in the 1/4s with an almost full hse should be more doable than Blackburn away on a Tuesday night in the league. Come 13:55 on Sunday we'll all be clapping the players out of the tunnel to "let em come" and come 15:45 I wanna be jumping up and down singing to "rocking all over the world".

• March 8, 2013 at 17:56

Totally agree that what we need now is confidence boosting wins, no mater League or Cup...therefore let's just hope the players can pick their confidence out of the pit and start playing to their potential, which should be good enough to beat this Blackburn team.COYL and in Kenny I still trust!

• March 8, 2013 at 22:17

luke, when you do get around to putting pen to paper on your worst ever millwall players can i nominate dave tuttle as centre half and captain, not only the worst millwall player i'v ever seen the worst player anywhere in my oppinion. so there you are you'v got a skipper. just a bit of fun

• March 8, 2013 at 22:37

That's what it's about borders, a bit of fun. we go to work every week so we can let our hair down and do something we deserve and want to do, for a couple hrs we forget all about the day to day stuff. And the last thing we expect is to see people taking our money off us and blatantly abusing it.
      I'm going to get back to you shortly on my worst 11, good shout with tutts

• March 9, 2013 at 00:03

right borders
        gk - chris day
        fb - nicky coleman
        cb - tuttle (just for you)
        cb - steve wood
        fb - alan dunne (not my kind of player. sorry)
        lm - martin woolford
        cm - garry waddock
        cm - darren morgan
        rm - liam feeney/ryan smith (equaly frustrating and both think they're top drawer)
        cf - bob peters
        cf - kevin braniff
        i could also add wright, and trotter cause they're not performing right now but they've been good more than bad. hulse and tyson cause i believe they will do nothing but take our money,but thats not fare right now they havent played enough. gk was a hard one.

• March 9, 2013 at 07:29

Lukesmith good idea. Is there no room for Sergei yuran or vassili kulkov, or maybe even uwe Fuchs?

• March 9, 2013 at 09:36

I personally thought yuran had a bit if class about him, but it was late in the day to sign him. Here for the money I think. The others were terrible definately room on the bench for em. So what's yours then ?

• March 8, 2013 at 22:23

Lukesmith I completely agree with what you are saying and up until the wolves performance I have been positive and sure that the team would pull through this blip, backing and supporting them all.
    But this all changed after the wolves performance. If there is one thing that I cannot take, it is the disgusting performance we have shown in our last two home games. We not only lacked ambition and inventiveness, we lacked any form of football ability.
    I myself have a 7 year old who wants to come football with me, but I don't want to put him off with the way we are playing at the moment. I have told him what millwall are all about, and he is so excited, but our team are not showing that at the moment.
    That being said, I am there in the stands, 10 mins before kickoff, excited, singing and backing my team to the hilt. I have been up and down the leagues with them and that will never change. One thing I do know is that we will always come back stronger and for that I can't wait.

• March 9, 2013 at 11:22

luke, yeah thats a really good s*** line up if you get what i mean, some real crap there,with a good bench of crap too, bit surprised steve wood got in but the rest certainly are deserving