Report: Millwall 0-2 Wolves

WOLVES picked up their first win under new manager Dean Saunders as Millwall fell to their sixth defeat in their last seven Championship matches.

David Edwards and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scored goals either side of half-time to secure what was ultimately a comfortable victory for the Midlands side, their first since December.

Millwall were without in-form winger James Henry, who sustained deep cuts and bruising to his left shin against Leeds United on Saturday, meaning Chris Taylor was drafted into the starting line-up.

Boss Kenny Jackett elected to drop right-back Alan Dunne and recall Tottenham loanee Adam Smith to his defence, while Liam Trotter was named on the substitutes' bench.

Millwall nearly fell behind in the second minute when Bakary Sako's inswinging corner caught out David Forde, who managed to scoop the ball off the line in the nick of time.

But the visitors did not have to wait much longer to break the deadlock as David Edwards hooked in Ebanks-Blake's cross from the right to make it 1-0 in the ninth minute.

The Lions' poor start to the game was compounded when Arsenal loanee Benik Afobe was forced off with an injury moments later and was replaced by Andy Keogh.

Shane Lowry made a crucial last-ditch block to prevent Jake Cassidy from scoring a second before Keogh's appeals for a penalty fell on deaf ears at the other end.

Incredibly, Millwall did not muster an attempt on goal until the 40th minute when Jimmy Abdou's shot from the edge of the area was blocked behind for a corner.

That half-chance briefly galvanised the Lions, who forced goalkeeper Carl Ikeme into his first save of the evening when he dived low to his right to keep out Lowry's header.

Millwall's resurgence continued after half-time and they should have equalised when Taylor got to the byline and cut the ball back for Keogh, who was inches away from touching the ball home.

But they were hit by a killer sucker-punch in the 61st minute when Ebanks-Blake leapt acrobatically into the air and sent a ferocious bicycle kick into the bottom corner.

That goal knocked the stuffing out of the Lions although they nearly pulled one back five minutes later when Smith drove into the area and drilled goalwards, but Ikeme held onto his shot.

The game fell flat again and Danny Shittu's mis-timed shot from Martyn Woolford's cross in the 85th minute was the last goalmouth action of note on a night to forget in South London.

Millwall: Forde, A. Smith, Lowry, Shittu, Beevers, Woolford, Wright (Trotter, 74mins), Abdou, Marquis (Tyson, 46mins), Afobe (Keogh, 12mins), Taylor. Subs not used: Taylor, Dunne, N’Guessan, Osborne.

Wolves: Ikeme, Edwards, Henry, Ebanks-Blake, Sako (Hunt, 71mins), Ward, Johnson, Gorkss, O’Hara, Doherty, Cassidy (Sigurdarson, 71mins). Subs not used: De Vries, Batth, Davis, Doyle, Foley.

29 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 0-2 Wolves

• March 5, 2013 at 21:59

going down!

• March 5, 2013 at 22:04

Our 1st shot on target in the 40th minute at home says it all!! Not a good result, like to see what KJ's opinions are,

• March 5, 2013 at 22:07

Sh1t and we are heading towards the trap door, not looking forward to Sunday, bad distraction FA cup,but we are passionless,useless and gutless

• March 5, 2013 at 22:08

Well I don't think we're going down but if we can't beat Wolves at home then something is very, very wrong.
    We're chopping and changing the starting eleven irrespective of injuries etc. like we're safe with 2 games to go and getting ready for next season.
    Whether the payers eyes are on Saturday I don't know but if I was Jackett I would have sent them out tonight with them under no illusions that they were playing for their place on Saturday. I really and truly think that the squad isn't good enough and I've been saying that for a long time. The 'ins' have not equated to the 'outs' and now we're paying the price.
    Personally I think we've gone as far as we can under KJ and it is time for a change.

• March 5, 2013 at 22:08

this is poor we are a better side than that we need to pick up are game otherwie we will loose to Blackburn

• March 5, 2013 at 22:19

Shocking performance losing to a team that has struggled all season and hasn't won under Saunders until tonight!! Why being in a loan midfielder and not play him when no one is playing well anyway.

• March 5, 2013 at 22:20

Everyone is banking on us beating Blackburn to bring some salvation to the season. I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it happening based on tonight's performance.
    Staying in the Championship is the only salvation we should be banking on otherwise we're in real trouble with the squad we've got. Good news is that Leicester dropped more points tonight so 'up yours Wood', bad news is that even Charlton are above us now and we've got two seasons on them in this division.
    What does that tell you?

• March 5, 2013 at 22:31

Horror show tonight, beevers league 1 player at best, it took smith a good 30 odd mins to realise how to tackle sako, lowry was poor, without shittu it would have been 5-0, send tyson back, keogh is shocking, taylor gave a good account of himself, and woolford don't knw how to take a player on for a left winger its poor, need to get saughted for blackburn or we are losing that and going 1 place, league 1

• March 5, 2013 at 22:36

completely agree with jgr4 but also josh wright was poor today, the midfield failed to create anything apart from taylor with the occasional run which is poor at home against a team in the bottom 3, we should be creating multiple clear cut chances in games if we want to have any chance of picking ourselves back up

• March 5, 2013 at 22:37

What's happening Saturday nickola?!
    We were absolute s***. Could have played all night and wouldn't have scored. Had 2 strikers on the pitch who want the ball into channels and space and we lumped it up to their 2 6' 3" + centre backs. Short of ideas and playing awful football. Kj your tactics are woefully short atm.

• March 5, 2013 at 22:44

KJ needs to get into their heads and tell them that u need to get your minds off the cup and focus on the league otherwise we will be in league 1 next season

• March 5, 2013 at 22:45

Long ball s*** with 2large centre backs, what has happened to us

• March 5, 2013 at 22:46

We paid 100k for Walford so what do you expect?
    Boyd tore us apart recently. He would have cost more than 100k but then you get what you pay for.
    I could go on all night.
    Look at the players we could have signed-
    Puncheon-Now Southampton
    O'Hara-Now Wolves
    Wood- Now Leicester
    Kane-Now Leicester
    ....and it goes on and on.
    They don't want to come here for two very good reasons.
    One. We're not the Millwall of old. We're a mid table team at best. No passion.
    Two. Very important this. We have no intentions of EVER spending the positive bank balance we're currently enjoying on improving. FACT.
    How anyone can tell me that things don't need to change at management level is absolutely and totally beyond me. That's not based on tonights result. It's based on the last ten games, the ins and outs, the tactics, the home support, the scouting system, the loans, the fiddling around with the squad, not dropping players who shoul have been dropped weeks ago etc. etc.
    The time for a change is NOW.

• March 5, 2013 at 22:57

That was pure s**** it's the den for f.ck sake Wolves are s*** so what's that saying about us, long ball we was panicking team looks disjointed we are in trouble we need 3wins at least for safety, but truly can't see where they are coming from its not a Millwall team, sorry to say this KJ is to blame what the f.ck are they doing on the training ground. We couldn't score in a crack house for gods sake,poxy ref again cheating were playing s*** and they still cheat us and it will continue.

• Pingback: News at Den | Millwall boss apologises to supporters after Wolves defeat

• March 5, 2013 at 23:06

I know this sounds bad, very selfish and a bit wrong but I would prefer an FA Cup win to staying up. I think we are lucky to be where we are in the Championship. Without Morison we would have been relegated. Without Wood we would have already been in the relegation zone. Kenny Jacket is a very good manager but I don't think he has the calibre to get us promoted. We have to keep moving up or we go down.

• March 5, 2013 at 23:11

Yer nickola we paid 100k for woolford, and I do believe palace payed less or the same amount for bolaise frm bristol city aswell and there's a big diffrence in class that's for sure. KJ I've always defending him but now there's no excuses I think its time for change, errm nigel adkins is unemployed, but then again what manager would want a club that's spends sweet fa on players

• March 5, 2013 at 23:26

No one other than Taylor, Shittu, and as ever, Jimmy can say they did enough tonight. Sorry, I know he has his fans but Wright IS not good enough, actually I'm not sorry, he's s***, can't tackle, can't head, cant run and even his passing I think is over rated, Keogh is a shadow of the player he was. Lowry's distribution is akin to that of a dyslexic postman, Smith is losing confidence, Woolford, so far doesn't look good enough, Tyson, the same and now it looks like Henry is going to be out for the rest of the season! Sad to see a Millwall team with such a lack of fight against one of the lower teams at 2-0 down with half hour to go, they gave up!!!! It's gonna be close!!!!!

• March 5, 2013 at 23:49

The difference is that look at both of tonight's squads and tell me which one you would rather have, wolves have had a bad season, but go through their team, which one of our players would get in their team or even on their bench? NONE. Their wage bill is 23 million pound a year. They have players that can turn a game on its head, we don't. Thats the difference.

• March 6, 2013 at 00:20

That was the single most worst performance I have seen, not one outfield player can say they put in a good shift, wright was the only player who wanted the ball in the first 45 and he didnt have a good game. I don't understand playing smith with Taylor on the right, woolford is the worst player I have seen since waddock. I hope we lose to Blackburn on Sunday cause we'll go down if we win, no question. It's hard to take and harder to understand why and what. Tonight was the biggest game of our season, more so than Sunday. It's heart breaking to watch, even wolves were shocking. There was no atmosphere what so ever, the biggest noise came from the north upper. And the south upper made a little effort but only cause they were abusing a the old bill for throwing a couple lads out.
    If we win on Sunday then I would publicly criticise almost every player who has contributed to this dreadful run of results, it is a complete p*** take. I'm not sure what direction the club are going in, it certainly wasn't champship football tonight and it would insult league one to suggest it was that. People can ask for KJ out and get a manager who knows what they're doing, but looking at that tonight it seems root deep not just a player or two. So unbalanced, a rightback on loan, a cb at leftback no real CMs, and only 1 club striker, what a terrible position we are in. before the game I was asked my opinion about where the club is and I honestly thought it was not all doom and gloom, win tonight then it moves us further away, win Sunday and we have ANOTHER day out a wembley, but I also said if we lose tonight we're in big trouble. I don't mind losing, to good teams, bad refereeing, good goal keeping cause it's out of our hands, but losing like we did tonight is not right. Winning is a habit but so is losing.

• March 6, 2013 at 00:23

I have just got in from the game, I left at 4 o'clock, thats a home game for me. Over 8 hours, the last Tuesday I did that, we got beat my another club at the bottom of the league. I do not see why I should make this kind of effort, spending money I have not got, to watch this s***, when players who by my standard are extremly well paid, play like that and just go home. Its the fans that make this club, we deserve so much better. To me KJ has run out of ideas, the only time I saw him actually show any real passion was against Villa, tonight he just stood there watching like a stuffed dummy. Sorry, 7 points since xmas day and tonight 2 shots on target. 2 yes 2. Pathetic. Time to go KJ. Everybody has a level that is the best of their ability, KJ has reached his. He has been great for us, but do we carry on saying in KJ we trust as we get relgated. By the way I have been supporting Wall for over 50 years, so I am allowed my opinion.

• Pingback: News at Den | Knee injury rules Millwall winger Henry out for the season

• March 6, 2013 at 00:30

Again look at Palarse, we get Hulse and Tyson, we light as well have got f****** mike Tyson, he is s***, why did we not look at Kevin Phillips, that guy is a proven goals scorer, looking for a club, yet he goes and teams up with Murray, we got Cagney and Lacey FFA. It's pathetic, we have only Shittu who is worth his place, we now lost our only in form player for there's toff the season, Forde is overworked and is actually playing well. Lowry should go back to centre half, Beevers has secured his contract and has played w*** since. Ont know what has happened to smith? Where is Seville, we may as well play him because trotter and wright are not doing it, what the f*** can KJ do? Er nothing with the rubbish he has at his disposal

• March 6, 2013 at 08:35

Last nights performance was an absolute disgrace. I have supported KJ all the way, and don't know if a change at this point in the season will be the best decision, but something has got to give.
    I am a ST holder and travel for every home game, they wonder why we don't pull in the crowds, well last night was your answer. Not 1 player put in a shift, the only player who looked like he wanted to be there was Taylor, but he is clearly not match fit.
    My opinion is that all our problems come from the defence and CM. Our defenders are awful on the ball, their distribution Is poor and they do not move for each other. People blame forde for kicking it long, but where are the defenders coming short to pick it up, why are they not passing it to the midfield on the floor. They take to lumping it up the field, and as we all know, it comes straight back.
    CM is completely missing, abdou works his socks off, but is lacking in the fundamental passing ability. Put saville and trotter in, 2 alledged premier league quality players, see how they get on. But the defence is the main problem in my opinion and needs to be sorted.

• March 6, 2013 at 10:02

Absolutely agree. Other teams play out from the back, we can not. Shittu is good at what he does, but can not pass to save his life. When Lowry clears it could go anywhere and normally does. Beevers has gone on holiday since signing. Why take someone like Saville and then he does not even make the bench last night. What was the point in that. Sort it out KJ before it is too late.

• Pingback: News at Den | Jackett: Millwall need 53 points to stay in the Championship

• March 6, 2013 at 11:50

I think that result was predictable cos the players's minds are focused on Sunday's game & it's not rocket salad, is it? I would have thought KJ could have used this game to play some fringe players who would be hungry to impress.

• March 6, 2013 at 12:54

I can't blame the players for wanting to keep themselves injury free and save something for the FA Cup, I just hope we don't get relegated. We will lose a lot of support. Afterall we've got a good relationship between manager and chairman and the players seem to keep their heads when things go awry.

• Pingback: free dating sites