Millwall boss denies Trotter bust-up after Leeds omission

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

KENNY Jackett denied he had fallen out with Liam Trotter after the midfielder was left out of Millwall's squad against Leeds United on Saturday.

Trotter, who had been dropped to the substitutes' bench at Middlesbrough the previous week, did not travel with the Lions to Yorkshire, prompting speculation of a rift within the camp.

But Jackett, speaking after his side's 1-0 loss at Elland Road, said: "People have told me what is being speculated, but there has not been any type of bust-up whatsoever.

"Liam wasn't selected. After the 5-1 defeat to Peterborough last month I felt there were a number of changes I could have made and I did want to look at different combinations.

"It could have been any number of people that dropped out but that's life in football – sometimes it works against you and what's important is what you do about it.

"I wouldn't say Liam is happy to be out of the side but nor should he be. I think the speculation will be led by an agent and in terms of Liam, he has a future here.

"When he comes back, I want him to be on top form and playing at his best, which he is capable of doing. I haven't been disappointed with his reaction in training in the last two weeks.

"At some stage he will come back in and I'm looking for him to be on top form."

11 thoughts on “Millwall boss denies Trotter bust-up after Leeds omission

• March 4, 2013 at 08:32

Sorry but this really does sound like he's having a bit of strop. Shame because I think he needed that kick up the backside to get his season back on track and start playing as well as we know he can. It's been said many times on this site about how we should get rid of him and it is soooo infuriating when he plays like an absolute tart when we all know how well he can play but I think if HE feels that it's time to leave, then, it really is time to say goodbye.

• March 4, 2013 at 09:15

I have brought some neutral fans to the Den in recent weeks on both occassions they said that he clearly had talent but they couldn't see what he was adding to the team performance. Sorry Liam, swallow your pride and accept you just weren't performaning well enough.

• March 4, 2013 at 09:52

It's Trotter prerogative to impress if he feels he wants to move on. Which can only help us. This move is KJ making a stand to show that no one is immune to being dropped whilst also forcing the best out of arguably our pound-for-pound best player.

• March 4, 2013 at 13:01

Trotters work rate is poor so he's been dropped, now we will see what his made of if he wants to be a Millwall man or not, hope he come out fighting to be honest if not good bye Lazy Liam simple as that.

• March 4, 2013 at 14:37

Trotters got the hump...GOOD. He's been giving me the hump for the last month or so.
    Hopefully he will get his mojo back, score some goals, then we can sell him in the summer for a decent price.

• March 4, 2013 at 17:20

I'm going to be the unpopular one here to defend Trotter.

In my opinion, he is one of only two players in our squad with genuine game changing ability (the other being James Henry). It annoys the hell out of me when people get on his back and talk about 'selling him on' or 'cashing in' on him - when have we ever 'cashed in' on one of our biggest assets and used the money to buy a better replacement? Steven Reid? Timmy Cahill? Steve Morison? I can't remember it ever happening.

Yes, he sometimes seems lethargic - but so do many top players, you have to look past that and look at how many goals he has been involved in this season. How many other teams have CMs with as good a goal-scoring record as Trotter? You'd all rather see 11 Jimmy Abdou's running their socks off and crashing into tackles left, right and centre - but that simply doesn't work! Work rate only gets you so far - to get any further, you need class and technical ability - which Trotter has in abundance.

He has hit some bad form and KJ has dealt with it as he has seen fit. Fair enough, you can't expect players to maintain form indefinitely. But when he comes back, lets get behind him and give him a clean slate, otherwise I fear he will become another on the list of ex-players we get rid of and never replace.

• March 4, 2013 at 17:45

Spot on stan I said a similar thing about trotter the other day, can't take the facts away he scores and is currently (without wood and hendo) our top scorer in the league. Needed a kick up the a*** and hopefully this has given it to him.

• March 4, 2013 at 19:01

I'm not reading much into this. It doesn't matter how talented the player is he's only human and can get a dip in form and feel unsettled. We shouldn't get carried away with slating Trotter but help him up and back him. We should commend the back room staff for realising this and dropping him.

• March 4, 2013 at 20:12

I like him and want him back scoring and making goals cause that's what he's good at and what he's paid to do and it also means we're winning games which is what we all want. Also he'll be worth the 2-3m that's been mentioned every transfer window since he's been here. Without a doubt he's one of our best players. I was so happy KJ dropped him cause he deserved it.I believe he'll come back fighting and wanting to do his bit for the sake of the team. If he is p***** off then good job,it means there is a bit of spirit and life in him. I personally want him to sign a new contract before we think of selling him cause he won't be worth much right now and next summer he can walk away on a free. We've shown what we've thought about him the last month or so and now it's dragging on too much, KJ has done what we've all asked so let's now move on and lend our support in him finding form again. Anyway if we did sell him, be honest, who the hell would we sign to replace him ? Cause I can think of loads but none of em would want to come.

• Pingback: oakleys home