Report: Leeds United 1-0 Millwall

MILLWALL left Elland Road empty-handed after Stephen Warnock's penalty secured a slender victory for Leeds United.

Goalkeeper David Forde had already denied Ross McCormack from 12 yards before referee Michael Jones pointed to the spot again when Alan Dunne brought down McCormack.

Warnock made no mistake but the Lions were furious that they were not awarded a penalty of their own when Dunne's header appeared to strike the arm of a Whites defender.

Millwall made one change to the side that won at Middlesbrough last weekend with left-back Shane Lowry, available again after suspension, returning to defence in place of Karleigh Osborne.

Loan signing George Saville was named on the bench after joining from Chelsea, while Chris Taylor was passed fit to be named in the 18-man squad. Liam Trotter was left out altogether.

Martyn Woolford had the first chance of the game when he brought down JohnMarquis' header on the edge of the area and thumped a shot just wide, with 'keeper Paddy Kenny rooted to the spot.

Woolford drilled another effort into the side netting after a long spell of Millwall possession before James Henry hit the post after latching onto Dunne's throw-in in the 13th minute.

There were half-hearted appeals for a penalty from the home fans when McCormack was clattered by Forde as he tried to get on the end of Stephen Warnock's out-swinging cross.

But after Michael Tonge shot wide from distance, Leeds were awarded a spot-kick when Woolford lunged in rashly on Sam Byram – only for Forde to tip McCormack's effort onto the post.

The woodwork came to the Lions' rescue moments later when Luke Varney hit the inside of the post and, as the ball trickled agonisingly across the goal line, Danny Shittu hacked it to safety.

Millwall had faded after an encouraging start and they did not threaten again until the 35th minute but Dunne sliced wide after advancing into a pocket of space on the edge of the area.

Kenny made a smart save to hold onto Marquis' first-time volley after Mark Beevers' header across goal, before McCormack fluffed his lines at the other end after Varney's cross.

Former Millwall frontman Steve Morison then nicked the ball off the toes of Lowry and played in McCormack, but Shittu made a vital intervention to block the Scotland international's shot.

Benik Afobe then saw his shot from the edge of the area deflected behind for a corner, from which Lowry blazed over, as an entertaining first-half ended goalless.

After the restart, Marquis headed over from Dunne's cross, although the whistle had already gone for a foul, before McCormack blazed over from long range for the Whites.

Tonge was then denied by a superb reaction save from Forde, who reacted well to a deflection to punch away the midfielder's drive through a crowd of payers.

Kenny Jackett brought on Andy Keogh and Nathan Tyson for Marquis and Afobe in the 67th minute and the change nearly paid dividends when Tyson's shot was scrambled behind for a corner.

But when Leeds won their second penalty of the afternoon after Dunne's challenge on McCormack, Warnock made no mistake from 12 yards.

Varney nearly scored at the wrong end when he sliced Henry's corner over the bar before Millwall cries for a penalty were waived away when Dunne's header appeared to be blocked by an arm.

After Forde raced off his line to deny Varney in the 84th minute, Henry was stretchered off after a late challenge by Warnock but the winger returned for five uneventful minutes of stoppage time.

Leeds United: Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Green, Morison, Varney (Pearce, 90+5mins), Warnock, Tonge, Norris (Brown, 75mins), Byram, McCormack (Diouf, 74mins). Subs not used: Ashdown, White, Habibou, Hall.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Lowry, Abdou, Shittu, Beevers, Woolford, Wright (Saville, 85mins), Marquis (Keogh, 67mins), Afobe (Tyson, 67mins), Henry. Subs not used: M.Taylor, A.Smith, C.Taylor, Osborne.

52 thoughts on “Report: Leeds United 1-0 Millwall

• March 2, 2013 at 14:32

Jackett out, each to their own

• March 2, 2013 at 14:49

f****** bent ref!

• March 2, 2013 at 14:54

He should have started saville

• March 2, 2013 at 15:08

Dunne gives away penalty.... Shock!

How has he managed to get in that first team?! Adam Smith has been immense since signing on loan and Jack Smith hadn't put a foot out of line before being dropped/injured.

It's poor decisions like this that will cost us a point here and there and keep us flirting with relegation for the rest of the season rather than pushing on up the table.

• March 2, 2013 at 15:38

Shame bout the result, sounds like we didn't take the "few" chances we had, and our left and right back positions arnt as strong as they used to be,for whatever reasons, would like to smith back, don't think he shoulda been left out this long, I like a good tackle, and seein players goin into challenges, but think lowry needs to calm down a bit, we got away with a early pen miss today,only to loose to another penalty,not a great day cos of how we lost, hopefully things will get better..

• March 3, 2013 at 09:06

It was woolfor who gave away 1st penalty. Not Lowry.

• March 2, 2013 at 17:48

Jackett out? Hope that was tongue in cheek otherwise you are actually thick. Why start saville? Young lad who has trained with the players for 2 days and you would put him in when we won our last game and the centre midfield played alright? I love a bit of debate and everyone is welcome to their opinion, but jesus do you get some idiots on here who clearly know nothing about football and just comment for the sake of it. You could make
    An "embarrassing quotes of all time" book just off this site.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:15

Just because you have a different opinion means I'm thick. Oh, the irony.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:12

Haha, jackett out. Last week the hero, this week the villain. And no explanation.
    I agree with jackett not playing A smith today on the grounds he's not played for three games now and starting him away at Leeds after so long out would have been the wrong thing to do. Must be a home game to come back to. I must add I do not rate dunney at all and do not thing smith should have been dropped in the first place. Lowry needs sorting out sharpish, another yellow. he is our best left back but he's costing us too much he got away with it today thanks to fordey. Can trust KJ to make a couple changes on Tuesday.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:24

I'm sorry but I'm fed up of people ridiculing others for having a difference of opinion. We are in a league where anyone can beat anyone - fact. Therefore I don't get why people are content to meander and strive for safety and that's it. Its true we cannot compete financially with some other teams but we had a £2 million kitty that we've more or less spent on hulses, Tyson's and afobe's wages - all have 0 league goals. Exciting teams are at the top and they have reliant strikers, whereas we have KJ and Marquis. I know he has done a great job but we need someone who will take no prisoners and actually buy some quality. Jacket out, di canio in.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:45

It must feel better giving an explanation than not. I for one did not ridicule your opinion I merely wanted an explanation.
      I also have had that opinion but giving it serious thought and looking back, say, since 99, we've had an awful lot of ups and downs and a lot of success, but before KJ we was a complete joke of a club how many managers were we going through, we gave clarridge the job and sacked him in less than a month. Come on KJ has brought us stability all the way through the club, and got us up, wembley twice, and possibly a third time this season. We are millwall FFS, I want what you want more than anything, Im glad I see us top the football league but we had a very good team back then but it was easier back then. Next season I believe, is the start of the financial fare play, let's have a look then cause you might just change your mind. Careful what you wish for. As for di canio, please, I thought you were millwall, that will go down as well as billy (spit) bonds.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:31

Mate get off this site. More or less overachieving this season and half impressive cup run. Yeah 2 million on a player who scored goals for us but who else would you bring in for that money that is proven. Absolute nonense opinion!!!!

• March 2, 2013 at 19:19

Sorry, I forgot that you have more of a right than me to use the website. Comments are there for people to express their opinions. I have done this yet I'm some how in the wrong? Do me a favour.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:44

Harryfabian, it's not the fact you have a different opinion it's what your opinion was that makes you sound a bit thick. My opinion is only that, AN OPINION, don't take it to heart just look at the situation we are in overall , add it all up and make a sensible post. Saying " jackett out" , isn't a sensible post, it's the post of someone who does not no what he is talkin about.

• March 2, 2013 at 18:51

Di canio in!!!! Sorry just read that part... Are you on a wind up? Do you no ANYTHING about Millwall? Our history etc things like that? Can anybody else point out to mr Fabian why this would be a bad idea?

• March 2, 2013 at 18:57

Just have 82 at bottom of my response
      Don't think he'll reply to me though mate. Shame, I need cheering up after listening to that this afternoon.

• March 2, 2013 at 19:12

Oi Harry, here's one for you, and can you please reply.
    Would you say we are better than
    Swindon, Oldham, Bradford and Barnsley ?

• March 2, 2013 at 19:14

-_- yes

• March 2, 2013 at 19:17

Thanks for replying.
        And what's the difference between them and us ?

• March 2, 2013 at 19:22

We shall write them comments off as a mistake Harry boy. Only this once though 😉

• March 2, 2013 at 19:22

They're s***. By the way I really enjoy how your insecurities are allowing you to patronise someone online who you don't know 🙂

• March 2, 2013 at 19:23

Di canio is ex west ham and was a god to some fans!! Wtf lmao, he could never be wall manager....

• March 2, 2013 at 19:27

Harry what's the difference between us Swindon Oldham Barnsley and Bradford ?

• March 2, 2013 at 19:33

Look at my comment above - we're s*** but they're really s***

• March 2, 2013 at 19:50

They've all been in the prem Harry, and Bradford spent a lot of money getting there and spent even more when they was.
        Yes they're s***, us, yes, I take that.
        I'm not ridiculing you and I'm far from insecure, and no, I don't know you. I'm trying to show you that a cheap comment like your first, and then your frustration as to why we haven't spent big money on big players, won't work.
        Be frustrated Harry, nothing wrong in that, but think before you press publish.
        And yes your entitled to your opinion.

• March 2, 2013 at 19:42

My insecurities? And what are they then ? You spoke about irony earlier, you just had a pop at me for "patronising" someone i dont know, then called me insecure!? Can you see the IRONY there? Anyway answer my question why am i insecure?

• March 2, 2013 at 19:46

I was talking to the other guy - lukesmith. You replied to him as I was replying to him, hadn't seen your comment

• March 2, 2013 at 19:49

In that case my apologies

• March 2, 2013 at 20:00

So Harry I'm insecure because ?
    Pot, kettle. stones and glass houses and all that.

• March 2, 2013 at 20:15

At the end of the day you have to realise what a good job KJ is doing and be realistic as to what you expect from this club.
    Look at leicester, they recorded a 30 million pound loss last year, that would destroy a club like us, I know it is an extreme example but we cannot compete financially with clubs like that, and they are not guaranteed a promotion.
    If at the beginning of the season you said to me that we would finish mid table and get to the quarter finals of the FA cup then I would have been happy. I am a season ticket holder, and I expected a relegation fight, but I still go to every home game and the away games that I can as I am a Millwall supporter and have been through good times and bad. I am honestly just happy that we have some stability at the club, and that we are establishing ourselves as a championship club, everyone seems to forget a couple years ago we was a league 1 team.
    I am happy with KJ, yes he makes bum decisions, I would pick AS all day over dunney, but he is dealing with it the best he can with the resources he has, he is loyal... And that goes a long way in my book. Just hope some of the players can be the same otherwise we will constantly be 'building a new team'.

• March 2, 2013 at 21:04

Lot of sensible and irate comments on here.
    First. Let's have some respect for Harry Fabian. The man is leading with the prediction table so he knows a little bit about what he's saying in general.
    Second. Agree about Dunne. An absolute waste of space. I think A. Smith got the message about being dropped and should have played.
    Third. Lowry is Rhino re-incarnated but he's a liabilty. J. Smith is no replacement in my opinion.
    Saville needed that 10 mins as I'm sure he's going to be a starter vs Wolves. Which in a way, says a lot because a 19yr old can not only put pressure on the current incumbents but also put their place under threat. Why wasn't Trotter on the bench one wonders ?
    Home against Wolves is a must win. They are really s**** at the moment.
    I've eased up about KJ recently but another double substitution today at 0-0...why? A point at Leeds was going to be a result.
    Regards Di-Canio and his west ham past. To me he's a Millwall type of guy so should be in the running. Time to get over other people's past. He's not Geoff Hurst for Christ sake.

• March 2, 2013 at 21:37

In regards to the subs he made the right call, afobe and marquis clearly wernt doing a lot up top and were getting tired , they're both young 2 big away games will have taken it out of them, and Keogh and Tyson both have a point to prove. A.Smith has learnt his lesson and has to start now. And personally I think jackett is a Millwall type of manager , would hate it if that annoying Italian west ham a******* got the job.

• March 2, 2013 at 21:40

I completely agree, Wolves at home is a must win, we need to be beating the teams below us to stay clear of trouble.
    But, why is everyone talking about Di Canio? Is he really better thank KJ? Ok so he got Swindon out of league 2 and challenging in league 1, but we all know that Swindon are bigger than league 2 status, like previous post said, Swindon have been in the premiership albeit many years ago. KJ is building something stable and for the long term, how many teams crash and burn from the premier, dropping leagues and financially ruined? We are not good enough for the premier yet, if we went up now we would be in trouble. Lets all get behind KJ and the team cos we need to stay in the championship and hope for a money spinning day at wembley, then maybe JB will put his hand in his pocket and give us the striker we all so clearly want.

• March 2, 2013 at 21:54

With all due respect, JB has put his hand in his pocket and has continued to do so. If the manager want's to spend it on exorbitant signing-on fees and salaries for strikers that are short term then it's no wonder that we're short in all departments. It's ok having loan players, I've got no problem with that given our position against a strong squad but the problem is that if you look at our squad objectively, we haven't got 22 players that are good enough for the championship. Yes, some players are on contracts etc. but we can loan them out (Batt) etc. and get someone else to pay them or make them available to League one, League two teams. In all honesty, Batt isn't good enough. Neither is N'Guessan, Dunne, Jack Smith, and I could go on. I think we all have a starting eleven but ultimately its KJ that picks it. I believe that he's a good manager and an honest man but has absolutely no idea about what Millwall is all about despite 5 years at the helm. We want a good team that plays good football and again, we DO have the money available. Not spending it has not only cost us a top 6 place but now we're looking over our shoulder....and how many points do we need to be safe !
    FA Cup....beat Blackburn and get some money in. Spend it on what ???!!!
    Everyone is trumpeting Di-Canio because he did an excellent job with a bankrupt Swindon. I've supported Millwall under the management of Fenton to Jackett. Graham and Docherty were the best. Why ? Because they were bloody good at understanding what we are about.

• March 2, 2013 at 22:23

You make some really good points and I totally agree with what you are saying. We have far too many players that are not good enough for our squad, let alone this league, they are league 1 at best. And also I do think that we waste too much money on loan fees, and wages that really don't need to be spent.
    Sorry if it sounded the wrong way, I wasn't saying that JB hasn't spent money on us, what I was getting at is that if we get that extra bit of income then maybe we can stick a bit more in for a quality player, who I do not know, all I do know is that we cannot afford to miss out on these players like we do. We have been linked with so many players... Wood, Rhodes, le fondre, but we never seem to sign them, why?
    I like you have seen so many managers come and go, and of course I have my favourites but I just don't know if getting rid of another manger is the way to go, what would someone like Di Canio bring? I am not saying I am right, I am asking as a question cos I really don't know. All I do know is that we are in the championship and cementing our place in this league.

• March 2, 2013 at 22:49

82wall i said saville should have started as if you have read any of the recent articles jacket said saville will have a big part to play in the Leeds game!! 10 minutes is not a big part is it? As for insulting people you dont know for having an opinion it just goes to show what type of mug you are hiding behind a computer screen button bashing!! An opinion is an opinion whether its a good one or a bad one its still an opinion we don't live in North Korea!! Anyway back to y i thought he should start, Chelsea rate him and if he's that good he can go straight in the squad as many comments on here have stated we have a lot of dead wood in the team barley worth of league 1. Josh wright is good yes we won but saville captains the Chelsea youth team and plays for England youth!! And yes I know quite a bit about millwall and football In general!!

• March 3, 2013 at 00:21

I'm not a mug hiding behind a computer screen If you read what I'm saying your one of only a few that disagree with with it. Even the people ive been debating with have partly agreed so pipe down you no mark. If you know so much then you should of known jackett very rarely changes a winning side especially when we have won in the league, so why would you expect him to start saville? Playing for chelsea youth doesnt automatically mean you should start, what would it do for wright or abdous confidence after they both played well last week? I don't s*** anybody off personally I disagree with some comments your the one getting personal with pathetic comments about me hiding behind a keyboard, this isn't msn and I'm not 15. You sound like a child grow up.

• March 3, 2013 at 00:27

Let me clear something up, I don't want KJ to go because he's a bad manager but because I feel he has taken us as far as he can. I have a huge amount of respect for him in terms of loyalty and the stability he has brought, don't get me wrong. I just feel now we are a (semi) comfortable championship team, why not go further? Why not exploit a league where the best are always vulnerable and open to defeat? With Kenny we just seem to go through the motions whilst the likes of Palace and Hull thrive. I think we need someone who can find that bit of quality that we are obviously missing and use the funds efficiently, rather than paying Tyson and hulse £15,000+ a week between them.

• March 3, 2013 at 00:37

Im not gonna get into a slanging match woth you but you've called me a c*nt and an idiot and I'm the child? Your in your 30's reality check!! I haven't seen many comments that disagree with what I've said, am i an idiot for disagreeing with you? again you shouldn't insult people who have an opinion no matter what it is!! We won 1 game in 7 it's hardly form of the season is it? Hence the reason to bring in someone who can run the midfield because trotter hasn't been!! And abdou cant pass for s*** but runs his b******* off!! You got personal when you called a few people idiots on here for having an opinion if you can't take an insult don't dish them out. If someone has an opinion that's there right.

• March 3, 2013 at 00:44

Ok mate yep your right , I bow to your superior knowledge I'll never call anyone a c*nt again. I think all your opinions are correct and I won't dare disagree with you again. I will now hide under my covers in fear of being hunted down for being a keyboard warrior.

• March 3, 2013 at 00:46

I didn't say your not allowed to disagree I said you can't go round calling people idiots and c*nts because you disagree with what they say!! If you would have disagreed without an insult we wouldn't even be having this discussion

• March 3, 2013 at 01:37

you know some of you guys should really take a deep breath, calm down and perhaps put your post's in on sunday,cos theres a few people getting at each other on here when we are all supporting the same team.last week we won away and suprise suprise there were no post's like some of these,yet 7days later half the team and the manager are for the fireing squad. we are minnows in this division and are bound to have poor results,and i for one do not think we are s***,i think we are o k. paulo decanio for millwall based on the fact he got a club promoted, didn't our manager do that with us then? having witnessed the proccesion of failed managers at this club before jacket took over i for one would be devastated if he goes anytime soon, imo we are lucky to have him. just my oppinion

• March 3, 2013 at 08:57

We're nearing the end of our third season back in champship from league one not from prem, we haven't a pot to p*** in and never have. Of the 24 teams in our division 18 have played in the prem and we're competing with 9 who are on parachute payments after prem relegation. JB is steadying the ship financially we operate on a yr by yr loss which our chairman clears with his own money in order to keep us out of debt. Sooner or later something will have to give cause his money and the people who's money he's using will run out and we'll be in the s*** again. He's stuck by one if our best ever managers who I think loves the club as much as we do. We go and give our support and have opinions but we don't make any decision on team selection who we sign and how the club is run, there will always be difference of opinion amongst us, but fortunately the people who are making those decisions have the same opinion and have the best interests of our club at heart,
    Before KJ came to us he was head of youth at man city who were giving him an annual budget of 2m, that's probably more than our first team budget in the time he's been here, no money = loans he don't want to make, hate me for it I don't care, CW was a successful loan that didnt become permanent, keoghe was a loan then signed Lowry was a loan then signed beevers was a loan then signed, so it does work for us. Why loans and not perms ? Because of what we're up against in this devision. I'm happy we're in this devision and not league one. It will take another season or two before we can get rid of the league one standard of player we have in our squad and replace them with champship quality players with the money we have but as long as we're in this devision then I'm happy for the transition to be completed. And I want JB and KJ at the helm and they have my backing. I'm pretty sure I'll be frustrated as much as many of you in that time, but that's allowed. Lets be realistic about where we are and who we are and what we are up against.

• March 3, 2013 at 09:00

The ambition of the club has to be tempered with realistic look at the finances and gates. Mid table in the Championship is not a bad result at this point in time. Of course we should aim for promotion but lets not hang the best manager we have had in the 30years i have been watching the Lions. He is hamstrung by the lack of finances and has to take bigger risks on untested signing and loans. In my view his success rate is good enough. He is allowed to make mistakes from time to time in my opinion as well, remember he is at a fairly early stage in his management career in the division.

• March 3, 2013 at 17:15

'KJ out Di Canio in'. Probably the most ridiculous statement ever made on this site. Whatever your opinion on KJ does anyone seriously think that a self proclaimed fascist is the right fit for the image of our club?

• March 3, 2013 at 20:55

well said smithy, glyngo, lion.ie,i could not aggree more with what you say. i'm puzzled with some of the figures bandied about on here,15 grand a week here, 14 grand there a week. is there a web site showing what millwall players earn,or do millwall publish a paper showing players wages,either way i'v never seen it,so i'm wondering if there's a lot of guessing going on and some people on here are putting 2 and2 together and making five.

• Pingback: News at Den | Millwall don't get big decisions from referees, claims Dunne

• Pingback: fashionboyx