Jackett: Trotter will come back stronger after being dropped

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett believes midfielder Liam Trotter will come back "fresher, stronger and with a point to prove" after being dropped against Middlesbrough.

Trotter, who has played in 29 of Millwall's 33 Championship fixtures so far this season, was named on the bench ahead of the 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium last weekend.

And while the 24-year-old is expected to be left out again when the Lions travel to Yorkshire to face Leeds United on Saturday, Jackett is backing him to bounce back.

"Liam trained very well this week and I think he'll come back stronger," Jackett told NewsAtDen. "It is probably the first time he has been left out in three years, which is quite unusual for any player.

"That's how well he's done. I think he'll be back fresher, stronger and with a point to prove. I do not think he was burning out but there's something about a player's freshness that's hard to explain.

"Emotional energy is a really big thing. There is something in that area that the top players have the ability to bounce back from and I fully expect Liam to take stock and go again."

Jackett, however, says Trotter could return at any time and insists there is no plan to rest the former Ipswich man. He added: "There is no plan for any player beyond our game at Elland Road

"I assess the team before every single game, so who is in the best XI changes each week. We will see how things go at Leeds because we could change things around against Wolves or Blackburn.

"If you do plan, the chances are that it will change anyway pretty quickly."

16 thoughts on “Jackett: Trotter will come back stronger after being dropped

• February 28, 2013 at 20:42

Trotter needs to be dropped thought this for most of the season, most people think he should of been sold due to his work rate, he is a good player, if he would give 100% week in week out he would be playing in the prem but he's to lazy cant win a header don't get stuck in he's now been dropped

• February 28, 2013 at 22:18

I'm just glad KJ was finally in a position to drop him, well deserved and well over due, but that said he Has the ability to be a good player. The more pleasing thing on Saturday was the bench, I really can't remember a stronger bench, and against Leeds it will be stronger still with Lowry back and the new addition of George savile. I don't think trotts will get a start but I think this time he'll get a run out and will be back against wolves. I hope he now realises that talent alone will not guarentee you status at wall, we're a working mans club and want and expect first and foremost the same ethics from our players. Jimmy hasn't the ability of trotts but has the workman like desire and will to win that will make him a wall legend IMO.
    With a busy schedule coming up and players coming back from injury and suspension things aren't looking too bad, it feels good to be wall again. Lets forget the last month or two and look forward to a cracking end of season.
    COYL miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllll

• February 28, 2013 at 22:28

Well said Smitty.

To me it looks like he was disappointed that he wasn't sold at the start of the season. He might have expected to have been playing in the Prem by now - I think from memory Fulham were fairly keen.

KJ is right to drop him, give him a right royal kick up the a***. It will spur him on to bigger and better things with more positive intent and greater energy and enthusiasm for cause. And if he doesn't have that result, well, maybe it's time for Trotts and Mill to part company.

• February 28, 2013 at 23:23

I second that. He's our player so if he has aspirations of prem football he has only one option and that's to buck up and get on with what he's paid to do, and he'll either get there with us or the fulhams and sunderlands will put their money where their mouths are.
        I won't speculate as to why his dip in form, but if your right downunder then I would like to think KJ would have acted on it sooner.

• March 1, 2013 at 03:47

smitty he could have hidden his displeasure at not being sold from even KJ, he might have hid it from himself - who knows!

• March 1, 2013 at 06:04

Haha, Your right downunder.
            We'll find out in the next game or two what its done for him. If you are right about him then I take it we can expect more of the same. F*** me what a bad thought. I hope your wrong downunder

• March 1, 2013 at 02:11

smithy, your posts are good mate

• March 1, 2013 at 05:57

Cheers borders,

• March 1, 2013 at 08:11

I THINK (correct if wrong) his is contract up for renewal so i believe he is going anyway in the Summer, maybe the Prem teams are waiting to get him on a free.

• March 1, 2013 at 10:34

Not sure if the timing has anything to do with Hendo leaving. Trotts and Hendo lived together - maybe he is missing him. Aww...
    Now its time for Trotter to show what kind of player he really is!

• March 1, 2013 at 11:09

No doubts Trotts has the talent to boss midfields in this division, no doubts he hasn't been doing that and no doubts he needed to be dropped. I personally hope he takes this wake up call and reacts in the right way and becomes the player he should be if and when he gets the chance. Trotter at the top of his game would be an asset to any team at this level,

• March 1, 2013 at 11:46

Yes adsy I agree with that mate.
      Welcome back pal.

• March 1, 2013 at 12:39

Thanks Smithy

• March 1, 2013 at 17:28

I hope he proves to be an asset to us, he is a good player just needs to graft and stop winding us up, give Trotts the heart of jimmy and he would be a legend already.

• Pingback: News at Den | Millwall boss denies Trotter bust-up after Leeds omission