Jackett: Play-off push still not beyond Millwall this season

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

KENNY Jackett says the topsy-turvy nature of the Championship this season means it is still possible for Millwall to make a late push for the play-offs.

The Lions' mid-season collapse has severely hampered hopes of a top-six finish after a strong start to the campaign but Jackett insists a surge back up the table is not out of the question.

Victory at Middlesbrough on Saturday left Millwall eight points adrift of the play-offs and nine points above the relegation zone with 13 league games remaining.

And with a congested schedule looming in the final three months of the season, Jackett admits the Lions' season could go either way. He said: "I've been looking down the table more than up it lately.

"But it's not too late to rule out the play-offs – we would need to go on the type of run we went on earlier in the season, going 13 games unbeaten.

"There are a lot of games coming up – four in March, eight in April and one in May. We need to keep our players fit and our best side available because we haven't got the biggest squad.

"We go into March looking to gather everyone around us and we will try to have a run at it. To get near the top, we would need another run. It's very tight – I know everyone says it, but is is true.

"Some of the bottom teams have shown some great form while others higher up have been falling away, so it's very congested in the middle of the table. That's the nature of the division."

33 thoughts on “Jackett: Play-off push still not beyond Millwall this season

• February 25, 2013 at 08:42

Oh KJ KJ, lets just get over the bad run we've had first mate. You larged it in December about play offs and signings and it back fired on ya. We get one win and your giving it again, don't you learn mate ? we're millwall, we don't do the large talk, please just get your players fit and wanting to play for our club. After your big talk we all got excited and you raised our expectation to ridiculous heights, it didnt work and you said we are "punching above our weight". Please can you stop the silly talk and concentrate on getting us away from the bottom 3. Well done Saturday night you got it bang on, but now you've got to do it all again at Leeds. Good luck, and please start smith. Cheers pal.

• February 25, 2013 at 13:35

lukesmithmfc: I'm pretty sure KJ didn't raise the flag on this topic. My guess is this article came about as a result of one question from one reporter about the possibilities for a play-off push. I'm sure KJ has his feet planted firmly on mother earth as to our possibilities for the remainder of the season.

• February 25, 2013 at 14:43

Reporters have to ask questions that's their job, it's how the people they ask answer them. Obviously KJ was asked about our play off chances and he's chose to answer the way he has. I know reporters love to mix it up and do a little stirring. I've just read the report on club official site and its clearly the same interview although I must add that their appears to be an "alteration" to the one above. But reading them again it's a strange thing to say if he's not on about the play offs

• February 25, 2013 at 15:02

Mista ignore my response looked at it from your angle, the penny dropped, and yeah I'm a c#+t.

• February 25, 2013 at 14:23

We all know we're not good enough for the play-offs - after the last few months, mid-table will do fine come May.

• February 25, 2013 at 16:35

Ambition? Mid table lol.

• February 25, 2013 at 17:09

Arrrrhh, pudding your back. Ello me little Lilly, and what do we owe the pleasure this time ? Wait until mid week sunshine when we start talking up our game on Saturday. I take it your going winkle

• February 25, 2013 at 22:16

Yep I'll be there, should be a good game. Shame the w****** are charging you lot 36 quid a ticket. Has potential this fixture but will only be 17 thou there due to over priced tickets. Shame.

• February 26, 2013 at 06:54

Yeah it is a shame it's one of the first games I look for. Can't believe the old bill have knocked us back again what a poxy way to go to a match too much grief we'll probably take 6/700 instead of 14/1500 never mind we'll still make more noise than you's lot though.

• February 26, 2013 at 10:08

It seems stupid, last season I thought you lot behaved and with the Gary speed thing too, KJ laid flowers too which was a nice touch. I can't understand why some of you wear galatasaray shirts and wave turkey flags hen we play at den, that's not good.

• February 26, 2013 at 12:10

No it's not good, but lets be honest pal the songs you sing to man utd and Liverpool are the same said thing and you also give it to us about Hungary - farencvaros - what's good for the goose
            Lilly.
            Back to the good stuff, yes we did behave last season and the two before it but that's why the old bill are doing it
            So why will they change it, it's a sad fact mate. I wish we done the same to you's cause your fans are no different.

• February 26, 2013 at 13:20

There are idiots at every club, they spoil it for the genuine fans.

• February 26, 2013 at 13:40

Yeah they do, but only for a while.
            You here about in the press for a week everybody goes into one and flaps about the dead wake up and join the wagon then
            Nothing, it's all forgotten and life starts again.
            But I can't wait for Saturday, good few yellow cards, a red, a pen, 3 points, 20,000 Lilly's doing their nut, a lovely journey home, open up the Sunday papers and reading the sacking of warnock, aaarrhh. Bisto.

• February 26, 2013 at 13:59

I'd take that if warnock went!!

• February 26, 2013 at 14:13

Hahaha
            I wasn't expecting that response Lilly
            I thought you had a bit more bite in ya son

• February 26, 2013 at 14:26

Ha, I will let the boys do it on Saturday then come 5 o'clock I will be biting. I can't see us losing I'm afraid.

• February 26, 2013 at 14:45

Typical pudding sing when your winning.
            It'll be tough, a proper north and south game. But one we can get a result from

• February 26, 2013 at 15:09

Morison will bag a couple, he's at a big club now, we've got too much for you, 3 nil. Maybe 4.

• February 26, 2013 at 15:53

And he's bit the bait, oi oi snapper
            Haha.
            we'll av to set the shitt on to Morison, think its our turn for a cracking double mate I'll even give you the draw.

• February 26, 2013 at 16:37

Just as long as your fans don't turn on the shitt (if you know what I mean) then he might be ok.

• February 26, 2013 at 17:01

Hahahaha
            we'll be on his case big time just like beckford before him.

• February 26, 2013 at 18:31

Morison is 10 times better than beckford son

• February 26, 2013 at 21:07

Yes he is Lilly, but he hasn't played against us yet. A couple weeks ago you wanted to know if he was any good well come Saturday mate you'll find out

• February 27, 2013 at 10:06

Wolves are w*** mate, they beat us tho. If Austin plays on Saturday you've got a chance, he's s****.

• February 27, 2013 at 17:52

We'll see Lilly
            I'm expecting a post from you on Saturday pal, rain or shine.

• February 27, 2013 at 08:58

I will take your word on that. I can't see him struggling against your defence tho. Although you do have the shitt as you call him. Isn't he about 50 now? Shifting myself lukey boy.

• February 27, 2013 at 09:58

Our defence is back to full strength for Saturday pal, and to be honest it's not a bad back line, it's the middle that worries me more. As for the shitt being 50 you'll also find out about him an all come sat afternoon, proper no nonsense center half built like a brick s*** house (no pun intended) superb in the air can clear as far with his head than most can with their feet. Getting more and more confident as the week goes on

• February 27, 2013 at 09:59

I think our game against wolves on Tuesday night will be harder lilly

• February 25, 2013 at 15:12

if we could keep the ball a bit more and stop the predictable long ball, we would grow in confidence, our players cant wait to hoof it up the pitch and it keeps coming straight back at us. hold the the ball make them work we would be a different squad we have the ability to get more wins than losses K J has to address this issue for us to progress, Thank goodness he dropped lazy i dont need to say his name you all know who he is, and other players who are not cutting it of late, Wright done more in the first 10 minutes than i have seen lazy do in 6 games Osbourne still give me the jitters Dunne ok but suspect we need AS back. I myself just want a couple of wins finish mid table anything else is a bonus, and maybe beat Blackburn for a day out to Wembley COYL

• February 25, 2013 at 15:43

We are nowhere near ready for the premeirship, so I would leave the playoffs to the teams that can handle it.

• February 25, 2013 at 16:06

Forget the playoffs!! Mid table mediocrity and a win against Blackburn will do just fine thanks.

• February 25, 2013 at 19:59

Really hoping we beat Leeds on saturday! Show Morison that he should of never left us!

• February 26, 2013 at 16:40

He's too good for you. League 1 club at best you are.