Defender Osborne determined to become Millwall regular

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

KARLEIGH Osborne has revealed his recent run in the Millwall side has given him the confidence to become a first-team regular at The Den.

Osborne, who has made 12 appearances this season following his summer move from Brentford, has started the Lions' last three games against Luton Town, Peterborough and Middlesbrough.

The 24-year-old endured a frustrating three months earlier in the season when he was not selected at all during October, November or December but the centre-back is relishing being back in the fold.

He told NewsAtDen: "It does wonders for my confidence – it has been stop-start for me this season. There is competition and I have to fight for my place, so I'm trying to impress in every game.

"I'm really pleased to be involved at the moment. It can be tough, mentally, being out of the team. I just want to play as many games as I can, but the gaffer has to pick his the strongest team.

"When I am called upon, I will give 100 per cent and fight for the club. I'm pleased to be in the team getting minutes and I want to get a run going now – it makes me more confident.

"I have belief in myself and my ability – now I've seen the Championship and how teams play, I think I am good enough at this level, definitely.

"The boys have been brilliant and I have learned a lot this year. People say I'm still young but I don't feel like that – I want to cement my place as a regular."

Osborne says confidence within the camp has been boosted by Millwall's 2-1 victory at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday, a result which ended a five-match losing run in the Championship.

"We had to battle really hard," he said. "Middlesbrough are a good team, they play attacking football and they have some quality players, but we managed to keep it together and get the win.

"It was brilliant to get the first goal so to get the second was even better. We were disappointed with conceding because we want to keep sheets, but it was a great team effort.

"Our FA Cup run is going well but we need to push on in the league again and finish the season off well. We know we're a good team – it's just about getting that consistency.

"If we can get that, I think we can go anywhere we want to. But we need to produce performances all of the time, not just every other game."

25 thoughts on “Defender Osborne determined to become Millwall regular

• February 26, 2013 at 08:41

Much improved from his perforMances at the start of the season but my first choice CB pairing would be Shittu and Beevers. Osbourne is an excellent cover for those guys.

• February 26, 2013 at 08:55

Agree glyngo, I'd go the same cb pairing, osbourne to cover and he can also cover right back. Sounds like he has a good attitude as well. Not sure about "excellent" yet, but "cover" all the same.

• February 26, 2013 at 10:07

This kid is a cover option no more... good pace but toher than that he's average! Played 3 games in which we've shipped 6 goals..... Beevers and Shittu all the way!!

• February 26, 2013 at 10:21

Where do people see Robbo when he comes back, does he age go against him, and will he be playing for Orient or Brentford in the not to distance future?

• February 26, 2013 at 12:31

Dont think we'll be seeing him for quite some time! Very long time out and to be honest I can't see him being back for pre season even!

• February 26, 2013 at 19:37

Pains me to say it but I think P

• February 26, 2013 at 19:41

Obviously pains me to write it too! . . . .meant to say I think Robbos days at the club are now sadly numbered

• February 26, 2013 at 10:23

He is work in progress. Maybe he could become a right back if he can't get in as a centre

• February 26, 2013 at 10:51

Robbo before Osbourne in my view, Osbourne has some good pace and mobility and brings something different to the team. Robbo to cover Shittu and Osbourne to cover Beevers and RB is needed.

• February 26, 2013 at 12:27

. . . and Robbo scores goals.

• February 26, 2013 at 12:25

Glyngo i can see Robbo jumping straight back into the team imo, Jackett loves him he is Millwall through and through, i remember the away game at hull when he first came back from injury Jackett tried to accomodate him and went with 3 at the back we got hammered, imo i dont think he should be considered first choice now, Shittu and Beevers are solid together, that pairing are comfortable, Beevers goes to pot when Shittu is not about, does Robbo have the same influence as Shittu so would he jump straight back in as captain? or would you leave shittu as captain?

• February 26, 2013 at 12:34

As much as Robbo is a Millwall idol I dont think we should be talking about him coming back anytime soon.... serious injury problems and right now Shittu and Beevers are doing well..... if it aint broke dont fix it! Danny has done a great job as captain so in my opinion I'd leave it as is.... until change is needed.... also KJ needs to be very careful with bringing Robbo back! Be great to see him fit again I just hope the length of time he's been out hasnt taken too much away from his game.... although I'm fearful he wont be the same player!

• February 26, 2013 at 12:46

Totally agree with you Bermondesy . . . 100%.

• February 26, 2013 at 12:51

I feel bad saying this but I would keep Shittu in on present form, I can't believe I would prefer a bloke that left us for cash over a club stalwart, but Shittu has been a revelation since he returned and also showed commitment but not going to the Africa CON's. Having said that I agree that Robbo needs to be given time to recover, so Shittu may be back at QPR by then!!!!

• February 26, 2013 at 13:31

Osborne put the fear of god into me ahen he started off at left back against Middlesboroogh and got booked. He looked much more comfortable in the centre with Beevers at Left Back. When Lowry has finished his suspension and Beever reverts back to the centre Osborne is cover and nothing more. With regard to Robinson I hope I am wrong but this could be a career threatening injury for him. My other question is why have we got Malone in the squad as cover for left back when he never gets played there even if Lowry isn't in the team?

• February 26, 2013 at 14:01

While robbo's on the books he'll still be club captain. I personally can't see him being a regular when he comes back, he'll definately be first choice cover and if and when one of beevers and the shitt leave then he'll be back in until a replacement comes in. I love the man to death and as I've previously stated on this site, if ever there was a millwall player that deserved a shot at the big time it's without a doubt, Robbo. I don't think he'll leave the club to play elsewhere, he's a one club man, be nice to have him back in a wall shirt. Come on Robbo get yourself into shape son we've missed ya.

• February 26, 2013 at 14:47

Shittu/beevers, Shittu/osborne, not sure which!
    but please Ken no more beevers/osborne, i cant take another defeat like Posh..

Abdou (sweeper)
    A smith, shittu ,osborne , lowry

just a thought!!

• February 26, 2013 at 18:42

Lots of good opinion and I agree with most of it. Osborne is really only useful as cover and I still think Lowry's best position is in the centre.

• February 27, 2013 at 08:08

I would like to see Lowry's distribution and crossing improve if he is to become a good LB.

• February 27, 2013 at 13:02

We now have 5 decent centerbacks at the club. First choice two have to be Shittu and Beavers although Beavers has also impressed me at left back. Not as good as going forward as Lowry but more disciplined. That leaves Osbourne and hopefully one day a fit Robbo as back ups. What ever happens Shittu must remain as captain.

• February 27, 2013 at 13:55

Sorry I don't agree Osbourne is a liability, he's a league 1or 2 player his positioning is poor he kicks at people, he panics he's been lucky up till now, he will give away crucial penalties, sub at best let him go end of season. Robo unfit he makes 10 of Osbourne .

• February 27, 2013 at 16:30

From what I saw against 'Boro, Osbourne will never make a full back and I'd always be concerned when a manager uses a centre back in this position.

• February 27, 2013 at 18:37

He will never be a right back. Poor control, can't pass , panics too much , can't dribble, doubt he can swing in a cross. Centre back or nothing I think. He has had a few good games, to the bloke saying we let in a certain amount of goals bla bla bla we have also kept a few clean sheets when he has played and 5 of them goals were in one game! Talking rubbish mate. He will be good cover Thats about it. And Jenny kacket has lost his marbles suggesting we should play Abdou as a sweeper!?

• February 28, 2013 at 08:59

82wall, you've got it spot on. I don't think we have enough quality to know how to operate with a sweeper but if we did then surely that would be Josh Wrights place.

• February 28, 2013 at 09:56

don't rate osbourne,i always look at a player and think how would i feel if he lined up against me for the opposition,and with osbourne i'd think good we'v got a chace here cos he aint all that. i thought lowrey was a pony centre back,lost too many headers and was crude with his tackleing,but a decent left back ,still crude and cumbersome but improving.