Afobe: I proved my worth to Millwall against Middlesbrough

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

BENIK Afobe believes he underlined his potential to become Millwall's latest loan star with his man-of-the-match performance against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Arsenal youngster is hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Den favourites Harry Kane and Chris Wood, who both flourished whilst on loan in SE16 from Premier League clubs.

Afobe and strike partner John Marquis were singled out for special praise by manager Kenny Jackett following the Lions' gritty 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium.

And the 20-year-old is confident the duo can strike up an even better understanding in the weeks to come. He told NewsAtDen: "We are a good partnership and there's more to come from us I think.

"We can learn a few things from each other.  I played with Rob Hulse in my first game and John is pretty similar – he is obviously much younger, like me – but I can work off his flicks and hold up play.

"I started the game slowly and I didn't really touch the ball in the first ten minutes but I kept going. The gaffer told me if I kept working my talent would show and I think I proved what I can do here."

Victory on Teesside halted a five-match losing run for Jackett's side and Afobe says the Lions never looked back after taking the lead through George Friend's own goal.

"It was a massive game – we'd lost five in a row so to come to Middlesbrough, which still feels like a Premier League club, and win is fantastic," he said.

"I am delighted for the boys, the gaffer and the staff – hopefully we can push on. We plugged away and got the second goal. The main thing for us was to go in at half-time 2-0 up without conceding.

"That gave us a great chance and, at that stage, all we were thinking about was winning the game – a draw didn't cross our minds. We are really happy with the three points."

Referee Michael Naylor riled both sides with two late decisions – to refuse Millwall a penalty when Afobe was bundled over by Stephen McManus, before Scott McDonald's late strike was disallowed.

"I should have had a penalty – 100 per cent," Afobe said. "He's barged me out of the way but I was just delighted to get the man-of-the-match-award. It's all forgotten.

"I was so relieved their goal didn't count. Because I am a striker the first thing I did was look across at the linesman – when I saw him with his flag up, I thought 'this is the best day of my life.'"

16 thoughts on “Afobe: I proved my worth to Millwall against Middlesbrough

• February 25, 2013 at 10:12

Looked very impressive in his natural position,
    his all round play was spot on. I walked away thinking that maybe this could be the bright young thing we need on a permanent deal in the summer. Definately worth a pop. He's IMO better than what we've already got.

• February 25, 2013 at 12:06

A word of caution would be that he needs to do that week in & week out and also needs to know when to hold the ball when we're winning away from home & the clock is ticking down. However, he did play extremely well and showed enough to suggest that he'll be a huge asset.

• February 25, 2013 at 14:46

Top man Benic his confidence drove us on give us more at Leeds, let em worry about us, couple more wins and we are safe, anything else is a bonus, one game at a time, good to see fair officials mind you it was on TV if it wasnt the goal would of stood they scored in the 95th minute about time we got some luck in that department, well done KJ for the reshuffle good to see you drop Trotter might be what he needs COYL

• February 25, 2013 at 14:56

What's his price tag? Anyone know. Just thinking that he fits the profile of what we need to add to the squad and that he's been loaned out so much they may bite if we throw an offer down. I know it's early days but there ain't much else out there so why bother looking. I wouldn't want to see us make him and then lose him. Nail him down now on the quiet. Then we won't get into another bidding war and won't be forced to sign Hulse and Tyson.
    Also worth mentioning Ian Black at Rangers. I reckon he could be another Alex Rae.

• February 25, 2013 at 15:27

Don't even go there we have borrowed him, he's not ours. long term he wants to play for the Arsenal,

• February 25, 2013 at 15:43

Talking about buying him and that when he aint even scored a goal for us yet..

• February 25, 2013 at 16:16

Mmmm been here before? Lets get real, if he puts himself in the shop window it's not because he wants to stay with us permanently!! He was kicking his heels elsewhere and wanted some experience and games under his belt. Use his services and expect no more than him going back to the A***. No one gets disappointed then!!

• February 25, 2013 at 16:17

Good to see KJ start the game at 'boro with two young strikers playing in position. After the disaster at home to Peterborough it was also a smart move by KJ to keep the 11 that started the 'boro game on the pitch for the full 90+ minutes. This will give the two lads (and Josh Wright) confidence going into the game with Leeds, and makes the point to Trotter that when he gets another chance to play in the first 11, he'd better start putting in some real 'wall performances or he can take his Bertie Big B***** attitude down the road.
    We all know Dunney has his shortcomings, but nobody should doubt his attitude. We still need players like Alan Dunne in the squad. That said, I for one will be pleased to see Adam Smith back in the starting line-up. Defending is his first priority and hopefully he realises he must be more selective about when to go flying upfield with chalk on his boots.

• February 25, 2013 at 16:22

Just a thought.

• February 25, 2013 at 16:29

IMO we should give it a few games and if he is still doing well we should start looking at a permanent deal so we don't have another Chris wood situation, as for Dunne he did okay but smith needs to be back in purely because of the support he gives Henry. Marquis worked hard but I think Hulse has been more of a threat in the last few weeks so I think Hulse and A.Smith in would be good option although KJ has always been stubborn when it comes to not changing a winning team!

• February 25, 2013 at 17:25

Agree mate, I'm not saying buy him for the sake of it. We can't afford a bad deal with our budget but wouldn't we kick ourselves if he did come good and Discovered Bolton had already done the legwork on a deal to get him back permanently.

• February 25, 2013 at 17:13

Stick with the same team when we play Leeds on Sat, although maybe bring Smith back in to replace Dunne. TBH though, thought Dunne had a fair game against 'Boro. Only thing I wished he'd done was slap that Nicky Bailey at the end of the game. Fookin hate that ex-Charlton caannt!

• February 25, 2013 at 18:19

Looked very good against Middlesbrough, but hasn't shown me that he's consistent enough yet. A judgement will be made once he's had a few more games under his belt.

• February 25, 2013 at 20:38

Agree with syd dunne should slapped that melt at end of game was givin it so much thought he was gona start blubbin! Cum wall lets do biz at smellend road sat.

• February 25, 2013 at 22:16

And got himself sent off? What would have been the benefit of that?

• February 26, 2013 at 10:30

Afobe's last comment about being "the best day of his life" typifies the true Millwall spirit and gives us all a boost. We are all rooting for you COYL!