Report: Middlesbrough 1-2 Millwall

MILLWALL ground out a priceless away victory to halt their five-match losing run and get their season back on track.

Former Den loanee George Friend headed in an own goal and Martyn Woolford scored his first goal for the club to put the Lions in control.

Curtis Main gave Middlesbrough a fighting chance when he tapped home 15 minutes from time before Scott McDonald had a stoppage-time equaliser disallowed, but the visitors held on.

Manager Kenny Jackett made five changes to his side following their 5-1 thrashing by Peterborough in midweek, with mainstays Liam Trotter, Andy Keogh and Adam Smith all dropped to the bench.

Rob Hulse (stomach injury) and Shane Lowry (suspended) also dropped out of the starting line-up, meaning Josh Wright, John Marquis, Martyn Woolford, Danny Shittu and Alan Dunne all started.

Captain Shittu was passed fit after a double-dose of injury and illness and immediately returned to the heart of the defence, while  striker Nathan Tyson was back on the bench after an ankle problem.

Both sides came into the match on bad runs of form and so the nervy start made by both was no surprise, although Marquis had a half-chance from Benik Afobe's knock-down, but missed his kick.

In the 16th minute, Grant Leadbitter curled a free-kick a yard over the crossbar from the edge of the area after Karleigh Osborne had been booked for tripping Main.

But Millwall drew first blood when Henry's deep free-kick was headed into his own goal by Friend at the back post under pressure from Osborne and Marquis, who initially claimed the goal.

Middlesbrough's response to going behind was limited to Leadbitter's piledriver from the edge of the area which flashed wide of the far post in the 34th minute.

There was a moment of panic for the visitors when David Forde failed to claim Friend's cross into the area, clattering Marvin Emnes and Andre Bikey instead, but the ball was cleared by Beevers.

And the Lions doubled their advantage moments later when Woolford tucked home the rebound after Afobe's shot had been parried into the winger's path by goalkeeper Jason Steele.

Friend blasted over from distance just before half-time but Jackett's side came in at the interval with a healthy lead to defend in the second 45 minutes.

Boro made a double substitution at the break, bringing on Ishmael Miller and Mustapha Carayol, in an attempt to inject some urgency into their attacking play.

Bikey headed over from Leadbitter's corner before sub Miller curled high wide after Friend's driving run and pass in the 57th minute as the home fans grew increasingly restless.

Forde made a crucial save to deny Carayol on the hour mark, getting down quickly to his near post to prevent the winger's close-range shot from squeezing in.

Millwall nearly extended their lead on the counter-attack when Afobe burst past Friend and drove low towards the far corner, but the ball trickled agonisingly wide with Steele beaten.

Marquis should have made it 3-0 when Henry's cross dropped to him in acres of space inside the area, but he rushed his shot and did not strike the ball cleanly.

And that miss proved costly when Middlesbrough went up the other end of the pitch and pulled a goal back courtesy of Main's tap-in from Friend's cross.

Main should have equalised for Tony Mowbray's side in the 86th minute but he somehow sliced a half-volley wide with Forde rooted to the spot.

Middlesbrough thought they had snatched a point when McDonald turned in Carayol's cross at the near post, but the flag was raised for offside.

Middlesbrough: Steele, Friend, Bikey, McManus, Dyer (Carayol, 46mins), McEachran, Leadbitter, Bailey, Main, Emnes (McDonald), Williams (Miller). Subs not used: Ripley, Ledesma, Hines, Smallwood.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Beevers, Abdou, Shittu, Osborne, Woolford, Wright, Marquis, Afobe, Henry. Subs not used: M.Taylor, A.Smith, Trotter, Keogh, Malone, Tyson, N'Guessan.

55 thoughts on “Report: Middlesbrough 1-2 Millwall

• February 23, 2013 at 19:27

Fantastic result and a great response, well done lads.

• February 23, 2013 at 19:34

Didn't see that result coming. At times desperate defensively, looked more solid in midfiled with Wright. Henry, Afobe & Marquis did very well in difficult circumstances. Afobe's pace and Marquis' ariel threat put Boro on the back foot. With Chris Taylor coming back, things should start to look up.

• February 23, 2013 at 19:48

What a farce! I wanted a clean sheet. Afobe was great, Marquis looked inexperienced and had me losing my temper at times. Henry needs support to stop him thinking he has to go it alone. Overall a good team performance.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:44

B***** joker afobe red hot showed a great first touch and result fully deserved marquis very good running off the ball and offered great defensive support cleared a couple corners. Great effort. And we made as much noise as physically possible. Well done wall.
      Alan Dunne still s*** though

• February 23, 2013 at 19:51

Too true the Diceman, I didn't see that coming either.
    I've slagged them off royally recently but hats off to them tonight.They've played as a unit and did it without our weak link in midfield...Trotter. Hopefully, being consigned to the bench will have given him the kick up the a*** that he needed and we've all agreed recently that he shouldn't be playing.
    Well done also to Wright in midfield. You deserve to stay there son.
    A few cold ones for me tonight to celebrate. And here's to taking points of Leeds to give Warnock his P45 and here's also to a semi final spot and a well earnt day out for us all at Wembley.
    It's great being a MILLWALL supporter.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:24

And there you was calling for kj to get the tin tack. Now u can't wait for wembley.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:31

I was always waiting for Wembley Bonnie.
        I thought, and still think, that we can do better. A win away is always great. It does put us back to mid table but I was optimistic that we could make the top six. My reasons for calling for Jackett's head was based on a lot of reasons which I've previously mentioned.
        We're still one game away from the semis and that wasn't ever going to change irrespective of tonights result.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:47

I'm glad you can have a beer we've taken one coach you c*** and murdered the beer on the way up
      Have a large one on me nick

• February 23, 2013 at 20:03

Well done today lads. Marquis and Afobe looked strong upfront, also I'm glad KJ decided to drop Liam Trotter and give Josh Wright a go, Wright works a lot more harder and impressed me far more than Trotter does.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:24

Dunne also did well, good strong lock-up-shop performance which was exactly what we needed. Can't always have our full backs haring down the wing especially away from home. Oh and Nicky Bailey, you're very funny when you are angry hahaha

• February 23, 2013 at 20:48

Have a large one on me nick

• February 23, 2013 at 20:50

I've always had a large one on you Luke. Lol

• February 23, 2013 at 21:07

Starting to worry about you nick ola you a bird or are you a nine bob ?

• February 23, 2013 at 21:22

Luke,
            I've told you many times before. I'm not prepared to meet you at your favourite pub for a shandy.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:39

Is it me or is Woolford very handy playing in the hole behind the strikers? He did well today and bursting forward he is dangerous.

• February 23, 2013 at 20:52

Don't know how it looked on sky glyn
      But their goal came from dunnes side of the pitch mate and they had most of their best play on his side mate his poditioning was dreadful, woolford ok but again nothing special but he was made to cover defensively more than he'd like. Afobe my man of match by a mile always available for the ball and his first touch and movement was bang on

• February 23, 2013 at 20:59

Agree Luke. He looked very quick and quite strong, and best if all he was willing to run at defenders. Now if we can put the ball in behind on the floor for him to run onto, he will be a real handful.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:30

Yes bonnie I think he's a starter mate
          Great show from the boy. All round good performance very worth the journey up there only about 190-200
          Could you here is on the box ?

• February 23, 2013 at 22:08

No they mute the sound now incase the language offends. Makes for a crap atmosphere like the old European games.

• February 24, 2013 at 13:43

I had gunners supporters at work saying get Afobe back to the emirates cause he looks great with his power and pace. Couple more games and wood will be a very distant memory..COYL!!!

• February 23, 2013 at 20:56

Funny ol game isnt it...even funnier today when they had their goal rightly disallowed, and we had one allowed that shouldnt have been...Mmmwahahahahahahaha!

• February 23, 2013 at 21:05

Dunney looked liked he played well. He cleaned up a lot at the back. Osbourne didn't look all that but got away with it. Their goal came from Millwall losing it in attack, I couldn't pin the blame on the defence. Josh Wright did well and I would be pleased to see him play next week.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:19

Sid cup Dunne was as s*** as usual he's a really bad right back mate he has no positional or attacking sense what so ever I know marquis f***** his chance but the goal came due to marquis's bad positioning. As I've said above I don't know what it looked like on sky but looking at him off the ball he was nothing mate.

• February 23, 2013 at 22:16

I agree again. Dunney ain't this level. And if kj knew Henry was on the right then he should have played smith. He can be forgiven for Tuesday as he was let down by afobe in front if him. With regards to Marquis, he needs time, something we may have. Still at least he is home grown and I for one would rather we used our youngsters with the odd loan instead of half of the team. Thought wright had a good game and shld now be given a run instead of trotter.

• February 23, 2013 at 23:08

I would keep midfield and front line the same and obviously change full backs for smith and Lowry and put beevers back in center for osbourne against Leeds but I'd make a point of bringing Taylor on for alf hr.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:23

Credit to the boys today as I said in previous posts drop trotter which he did and we were much stronger and full of running in midfield, play afobe in his position and look what he pulls out a brillian performance the only thing missing was a goal but well played, marquis full of running good effort but I wouldn't have started him and kept him on for the 90. Where was hulse?

• February 23, 2013 at 21:24

I know Dunne has past it but on Tele he looked important. It was obvious he was out of position more often than not but it looked like he made important interceptions.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:29

Hulse is injured. I agree about Marquis, he looked ok for an hour but lost his way.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:37

Credit to marquis for effort but he can't finish for s***! That volley he missed seconds bbefore their goal would have out the game to bed.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:57

88 he was f***** mate he worked f****** hard tonight pal you had a better view of his shot than I did and even I could see it was tired legs mate
      His running off the ball was pleasing and he tracked back when needed and offered not too bad support for afobe.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:40

Fare play sid cup, I thought marquis needed a break for Tyson after about 75/80 mins, his snap shot should have told KJ all he needed to know.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:50

Did not see that coming, mind you, expected a cliffhanger in the last 20minutes. But managed to hold on long enough!! That could be the kick-start we needed to finish the season! Semi-finals, play-offs, things are looking up! COYL

• February 23, 2013 at 22:11

Rain it in a little new gen, it was a much needed performance as much as we needed the points, but still a few things need sorting, what's KJ doing with A Smith ? To drop him for Dunne IMO is not fare for the lad. And I don't think woolford is as good as Taylor, he was in the right place at the right time. I'll give him credit that he does the easy thing right like pass the ball to the nearest team mate but pls for a winger he is far too defensive minded.
      Got it right tonight KJ.

• February 23, 2013 at 21:51

Oh yea. Anyone in the portrait, Sidcup? Was going off in there for a change, wouldn't see that atmosphere for any other game!!

• February 23, 2013 at 21:52

Well I think IMO what I see how I look at it in my judgement my view being there blah blah blah d blah blah we done alright and deserved the points and as much as the ref tried we actually got away with it one of our goals could've been disallowed, but what a f****** feeling for theirs to be disallowed I honestly thought the ref weren't avin it then to see fordey look up at us smile and bounce that f****** ball, pure jubilation almost as good as jimmy up at Leeds scum hahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahaha
    Come in you c**** what a miserable f****** coach this is

• February 23, 2013 at 22:01

Yeah he did work his b******* off I just don't think marquis has the cutting edge needed to worry the opposition, agree Tyson should have come on and given the defence the run around to help keep the ball more than we did! All in all I think everyone played well we can all agree we are f****** glad trotter was dropped

• February 23, 2013 at 22:20

I'm not dunnes biggest fan but hats off to the bloke, he was given his chance ahead of smith and he done a very good job. Would rather see smith at RB tbh but fair play to dunney best game he's played in a Millwall shirt for a while.

As for afobe I find it funny how lots of people were slagging off him signing, and now there rimming his a*******! Watched him for 3/4 seasons now and think he's a great young talent, deserved mom today and deserved a goal which unfortunately never came!

• February 23, 2013 at 22:34

IMO Great result - Still prefer Smith over Dunne, think it's a bit unfair on Smith to take the blame for KJ's error - if Henry had played in front of Smith and Woolford played left, with Afobe in his best position up front think we would have showed better against posh. Not Wright's biggest fan but thought he did well today. Marquis, and I know I'm going to get stick, looked out of his depth today to me. Afobe looked good and look forward to watching him grow in confidence. Shittu made a massive difference and Fordey (one howler apart) looked on top of his game. Well done KJ and the lads!

• February 23, 2013 at 22:59

I'd start marquis ahead of hulse everyday of the week. Yes he does make the wrong decision sometimes and he's never gonna be a lethal finisher but he will improve and is at least on par with hulse already and his performances will only get better whereas only 1 place hulses career and ability is going and that's down. I do remember a certain Richard sadlier being awful when coming through to begin with. Just pump marquis with whatever we was putting in sadlier. Anyway well done lads great result, any win at the moment is great let alone away from home after a raping by team bottom of the league so hats off, done us proud.

• February 23, 2013 at 23:02

Yeah from the perspective of my sofa Dunne looked solid and reliable. I know tv can be deceptive and the goal did come down is side but he was not given much chance from where we lost the ball. I thought JM put in. Good shift today and playing alongside Afobi will open his eyes to what he can achieve. Really impressed with Afobi. Great touch strength and composure.

• February 23, 2013 at 23:24

Gln maybe I'm being too harsh on dunney but when you've never rated a player it's really hard to see what good they do or offer and dunnes just that player for me always has been and always will be and I like a rightback more than any other position. I believe it's now time to stick to best 11 in the right position and results like tonight could continue till the end of season. Baring wood and hendo and return of Taylor we have the same team available to us that put that great run together. Dropping trotts was the tactical decision of KJs season and didnt it make a massive difference, and I don't know how much truth is behind it but just got news of trotts and feeney being made to get the train home. Attitudes ?

• Pingback: News at Den | Jackett praises Marquis and Afobe after Middlesbrough win

• February 24, 2013 at 00:19

That's interesting if true Luke, trotters contract is up for renewal and i bet he thought he was untouchable.i am a big fan of wright and really pleased with his performance. Not the best tackler but good vision and accurate passing....seems like ages since our midfield had that. Totally agree that was a smart give by KJ and if we lose trotter then so be it, but hopefully he will learn and improve.

• February 24, 2013 at 11:35

Glyn, I hope it is true. That will make me give KJ another 10% respect cause that is proper old fashioned values, don't come in my dressing room with the disruptive Charlie big b***** attitude you got dropped cause you deserved it your team mates av bin carrying you far too long now f*** off on that train cause there's about 50/60 wall on their and they will let you know in no uncertain terms what they think. Be at that training ground tomorrow morning bright and early.
      If only life was that easy aye glyngo.

• February 24, 2013 at 00:28

Poor old Nigel Pearson, just seen his interview stating that they are creating the chances, just not putting them away... I'm p****** my pants right now.

• February 24, 2013 at 09:34

Great result and response from the team, well done lads. I have been openly critical on this site's of KJ lately ( I believe rightly so but that is my opinion), but he did the right thing dropping Trotts tonight. No player should be immune from this. They have to live and die by the sword and Trotts was basically the only player who had 100% guaranteed start, regardless of how he played. We all know he can play better so this will do him the world of good. Also I just happen to highly rate Josh Wright, and when Trotts gets picked EVERY game, what motivation does it give JW when he knows he won't get in anyway? All 11 players. Should be picked on merit. Afobe looked fast and strong as well. We'll done KJ, credit where it's due, players in their correct positions, and we'll done the team, great effort.

• February 24, 2013 at 10:51

We had the same last season with trotter, come January when no team came in for him his performances were sh1t, let him go Wright gives us a solid midfield, Trotter a luxury when things going well. Well done KJ for ringing the changes and a massive kick up the backside, now all we need is a smith back in and Osbourne out and we are rolling. Afobe was very classy, Marquis run his socks off, but still looks short in this league but at least he don't hide, he givens us energy at least

• February 24, 2013 at 12:23

When i saw Trotter had been dropped i was over the moon, i knew if we lost at least we worked hard i cant stand watching him do nothing he never wins a header a 50/50 tackle if he don't play for us again i couldnt care less, Wright would be my choice, mid field was were they should be, would like to see all of our team calm down and keep the ball and stop the panicking, we have the ability and the players what a great result, Mowbray stick that up your big conk along with your mind games. Great away win COYL.

• Pingback: News at Den | Marquis: Middlesbrough win could be turning point for Lions

• Pingback: Cheap Breitling Navitimer

• Pingback: dating sites

• Pingback: ray ban outlet

• Pingback: Oakley Outlet

• Pingback: Driving Edge Limited Middlesbrough | learning to drive

• Pingback: Driving Edge Limited Middlesbrough | course - intensive driving course