Dunne wants Den to be "rocking" for Blackburn quarter-final

© John Kirkpatrick
© John Kirkpatrick

DEFENDER Alan Dunne is hoping home advantage will give Millwall the upper hand in their FA Cup quarter-final against Blackburn Rovers next month.

The long-serving right-back, a lone survivor from the Lions squad that lost to Manchester United in the 2004 final, wants a sell-out crowd at The Den for the visit of Michael Appleton's side.

But Dunne, who made his first appearance since October in the 3-0 win over Luton Town in the fifth round, says Millwall cannot afford to get ahead of themselves with a trip to Wembley at stake.

He told NewsAtDen: "Blackburn beat Arsenal on Saturday so it is going to be really tough, but there are no easy draws at this stage. A home tie is great, that's what we wanted first and foremost.

"It gives us a great chance. They are an experienced side having just come down from the Premier League, so it's going to be one of our toughest games of the season.

"We need a full house at The Den – every single seat needs to be taken. The place will be rocking and everyone will be at it – when then ground is like that, it's a hard place to come and play.

"We have been fortunate with the draws so far – I wouldn't say they have been easy – and it was like that in 2004. But we have got to take things one game at a time.

"We cannot start thinking about Wembley yet. It is a great feeling to go all the way so the incentive is massive for both clubs. We have to keep our heads down and work hard."

Dunne will be desperate to hold onto his place in the side between now and when Blackburn come to town after playing his first 90 minutes for Millwall in three-and-a-half months at Kenilworth Road.

The 30-year-old dropped out of Kenny Jackett's starting line-up after he was suspended for the 4-1 win at Nottingham Forest in October, with Tottenham loanee Adam Smith replacing him.

But Dunne, who made his 300th career appearance for the Lions against the Hatters, is determined to finish his career in SE16 no matter what.

"I was delighted to get a game under my belt," he said. "I lost my place when I got suspended and I haven't been playing for a while, which has been frustrating.

"Adam is an exceptional player and has a big future ahead of him – he offers a lot going forward as well. It was nice that the manager changed things up and we kept a clean sheet.

"I'm delighted and I hope I can make many more appearances here – that's my goal. To stay at one club for my entire career would be a big achievement. But I don't know what's around the corner.

"I'm just going to work hard and keep trying to impress. But 300 is a great landmark and I couldn't think of a better club to reach it at than this one."

Jackett revealed Dunne's experience had been a crucial factor in his decision to drop Smith for the Luton tie. He said: "I felt that we needed our back-four to be as big and as experienced as possible.

"Defensive headers and getting to the first ball were really important things on Saturday. That was in my thinking. Peterborough at home on Tuesday may be slightly different.

"But I knew coming here Alan's experience and physical experience would help our defence, which was under a lot of pressure."

11 thoughts on “Dunne wants Den to be "rocking" for Blackburn quarter-final

• February 18, 2013 at 11:10

I think dunne should be made captain. He comes out as a natural-leader and be best for the Job in my opinion

• February 18, 2013 at 11:43

Sorry I think Dunne should be one of the ones we should be looking to move on I have lost count of how many times he has lost concentration and let a winger sneak in behind him, or hack someone down giving away possession or penalties and his disciplinary record isn't great , felt sorry for Adam Smith , sentiment is a nice feeling to have but putting out your strongest team should be the firt and foremost.

• February 18, 2013 at 12:14

Completely agree with this comment. I'm sure that Dunney is a great chap to have in the dressing room and on the training ground but starting in the first team I wouldn't agree with. I think KJ wanted to give a few players a rest Saturday... I think looking at the captaincy shout that Lowry would be my choice if Shittu was to miss games. The guy is loud, committed and doesn't bottle anything. One of my players of the season this year so far!

• February 18, 2013 at 17:47

Dunne is millwall through and through but so was Craig, it doesn't mean they're good enough for champship. We went on a great run when he got dropped for smith, and jacket got it bang on for Luton game. We were playing a non league side so why on earth would you risk your best right back ? if he got injured then we would have only dunne available, and AVB probably told KJ to rest him anyway.
        Captaincy I'd also give to Lowry even before shittu don't know why but I just trust him he's a good leader reads the game well and playing at left back this season would have taught him loads. Be interesting to see if he stays at left back. He'll only get better no matter where he plays.

• February 18, 2013 at 11:59

I agree that Adam Smith is a better player but Dunne is a Millwall lad through and through. I think Jackett started him yesterday because it would have meant more to him

• February 18, 2013 at 12:12

I understand what your saying but I am millwall through and through does that mean I should play I just mean that if the team is to grow in my opinion it needs to be more focused on what's best not what's right ??

No doubting he's been a loyal servant but I think we should be moving on there are better defenders

• February 18, 2013 at 12:33

We need cover at right back and it is likely that Adam Smith will move on come the end of the season. I think we can all see that he is destined for better things.

• February 18, 2013 at 13:42

Dunne will hopefully be in the stands vs.Balckburn where he can make as much noise as he likes.

• February 18, 2013 at 15:18

Definitely a Millwall type but now he is out of his depth , goes missing too much in the championship. A.Smith for the next game please.

• February 18, 2013 at 18:38

My Semi Final line up: Man Utd, Man City, Everton and little old Millllllllllllllllllllll
    COYL!!!!

• February 18, 2013 at 20:30

All that aside, lets hope the fairy tale has Millwall on the winning side this time round!! Imagine that, more trophies than Arsenal haha