Jackett hoping Millwall land a plum tie in quarter-finals

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett wants to draw one of the Premier League big boys in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup after Millwall eased past Luton Town in the fifth round on Saturday.

The Lions produced a professional performance against the non-league Hatters to reach the last eight of the competition, with James Henry, Rob Hulse and Dany N'Guessan scoring in a 3-0 win.

And Jackett is hoping his side are rewarded with a plum tie against a top-flight club in the draw on Sunday. He said: "If there was a preference, it would be to get a big Premier League club at The Den.

"That would be my choice. Whoever you play in the last eight is going to be tough but something that has perhaps been lacking in my time is the luck of the draw to get a big club at home."

But while Millwall are just 90 minutes http://vhealthportal.com/product-category/anti-acidity/ away from a trip to Wembley, Jackett is keen for his players to maintain focus on their Championship campaign.

"I think both competitions are important," he said. "People ask managers about the importance of the cup and I think, generally, managers get judged on their league form.

"Paul Dickov beat Liverpool with Oldham and got the sack, so it's your league form that is generally paramount in manager's minds because of that.

"We do not play the two competitions on the same day. We played on Saturday in the FA Cup and we play on Tuesday night in the league. Why can't we concentrate on both? That's the challenge.

"I would like the players to focus on both equally. I understand the more games you play the more injuries you get but sometimes the side gets into a rhythm and one thing can lift the other."

9 thoughts on “Jackett hoping Millwall land a plum tie in quarter-finals

• February 17, 2013 at 09:20

Absolutely KJ, if all goes according to plan we'll stop the slide in the league and have a big day out in the cup. if we do get to the semis at wembley I hope the class of 2013 are more professional than the class of 2004. Now I'm not for one minute stating this team is as good cause we all know its nowhere near as good most of 2004 side went on to play prem league my point is they should have done more in the league and continued the run and form they was on up to the Sunderland semi, ok we suffered a couple of bad injuries in that game but once we got through to the final the whole team was scared of injury and suspension no one really turned up after that a little like trotter now. Id like to think KJ would not accept it but the performances of the center mid are alarming especially trotter.
    Pls prove me wrong wall.

• February 17, 2013 at 10:08

It'll be Barnsley away or another pile of ****!

• February 17, 2013 at 10:36

Would be nice to land a big 'un, but they're dropping like flies. Went to the game yesterday, thought Dany N'Guessan was superb, really lively and made an impact when he came on. Play much more on the right (as was his better position at charlton apparently), maybe he prefers that to a central role. Henry was tireless too, unlike Trotts, sorry to throw in a negative, but like I've said before, I just don't get Trotter at all. Those of us who went can vouch that the highlights last night on ITV flattered us a bit, we were ok...but I'll take that any day, an average performance with a 3-0 win, well done 'Wall. Here's to a big draw and a dare to dream.

• February 17, 2013 at 10:48

Yes n'guessan did look good but albeit against a tired non league side so hard to judge but he was a whole lot better than trotter and abdou I hate to throw a negative as well but our midfield is dangerously s*** glad KJ sorted out the front line but noes time to sort out the middle pretty sharpish and I've a sneaky feeling that we let the answer go to Pompey.

• February 17, 2013 at 11:03

Need 2 quality central midfielders to be honest. I thought Wright was the answer for 1 position but with limited chances he isn't getting a long run in the team to boost his confidence or fitness. Without the benefit of reserve games and limited opportunities when senior players can play in u21 matches it appears they only have training sessions to maintain fitness but not match fitness.

• February 17, 2013 at 11:56

Good point hooky I've seen a bit of racon in the past and I've been really impressed his work ephics are bang on he can pass the ball tackle track back and move the play forward he rarely got a negative review at cafc hence jacket signing him and the point of a free transfer is to pick up a couple quid if it don't pay off, and you need a reserve side for the points you made hooky, I know we've had a few behind closed door friendlys recently we had one a Charlton training ground last week for what purpose I don't know but I hope we get at least one mid in quick or we'll fighting off relegation.

• February 17, 2013 at 12:21

Need to avoid prem club next round, as long as we get a home draw Barnsley would be a good draw we owe em big time COYL

• February 17, 2013 at 16:44

trotter is useless,has been for a long time,but the manager loves him and never leaves him out.our only hope of getting shot of him was for someone to buy him,but whenever prospective buyers looked at him they realised he was useless too so we are stuck with him unfortunately

• February 17, 2013 at 18:02

Blackburn at home, lovely jubbly...