Millwall boss excited to be in the last eight after Luton win

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

KENNY Jackett says reaching the quarter-finals of the FA Cup is a "big achievement" for Millwall and hopes their win over Luton Town will inspire a return to league form.

The Lions overcame a potential banana skin at Kenilworth Road thanks to goals from James Henry, Rob Hulse and Dany N'Guessan to reach the last eight of the competition.

Jackett said: "As a manager, this is the furthest I have ever gone in this competition. I am looking forward to the draw and the quarter finals. For everybody at Millwall, it's exciting to be involved.

"It's a big achievement. Our form in the Championship hasn't been great and we needed to get back to winning ways. I'm very pleased to be in the last eight and we'll take the draw as it comes.

"We've got to turn around very quickly for Peterborough at The Den on Tuesday night and I hope this win breeds some confidence."

Jackett hailed the performance of winger Henry, who broke the deadlock in the 12th minute before crossing for Hulse to add a second goal to kill-off the non-league side.

"James is on good form for us and he is  having a very good spell this season," Jackett said. "Playing on the left side gave him some options and a bit of freedom to join in with the forwards.

"He's been a very creative and consistent player for us this year. We needed some quality when we did break and we had that. Scoring the first goal was really important in us winning."

The Millwall boss was equally pleased to see Hulse score his first goal for the club. He said: "It is very important for a centre forward going to a new club that they score for their confidence.

"In the short time and two-and-a-half games he has played for us he has brought experience and good hold-up play and had chances. That’s a big thing.

"Generally, I think centre forwards who create chances do end up scoring. If you go two-and-a-half games and don’t have a chance, that’s going to be tough.

“I’m very pleased for him because as well as his goal today he has brought a lot to our frontline and an experience to our frontline that at times this season we've lacked."

15 thoughts on “Millwall boss excited to be in the last eight after Luton win

• February 16, 2013 at 16:45

Bit scrappy but job wel done lads..afraid to say tho that dunne looks outa his league.

• February 16, 2013 at 17:03

No he didn't, he played well, particularly the first half.

• February 16, 2013 at 18:44

Agree benzo he had a good game better than I thought he would I've never rated him but today he done his job well better than the last time I see him play (Birmingham) his positional play was spot on today you can't bomb forward when you have a player like feeney in front of you and today he stuck to his defending duties with no dramas but then it was a non league side

• February 16, 2013 at 17:22

Good job Kenny. Went about it the right way and never really looked in trouble. Did fancy arsenal But now want barnsley at home please.
    Must also mention Hulse. Well done mate, Ibrahimovic would be proud... Keep that up and you'll turn a few fans round. Me included...

• February 16, 2013 at 17:26

Henry was outstanding today as was Forde and Abdou . I was a bit disappointed with Trotter he went missing quite a lot also I concur with cosh1977 Dunne (and to a lesser extent Osbourne) looked a weak link .

• February 16, 2013 at 19:29

I really can't believe how terrible our center midfield is. abdou is one of my fav ever players but he's out of his depth at the mo and trotter is absolute s****, it looked like we beat a non league side with ten men today, I think we're desperate for a center mid to replace trotts, how many chances can one player have if he's in cause of "on his day" then we're bang in trouble. I don't think I've ever seen a performance from a center midfield like that in any millwall win, you older lot out there can you please tell me the last time you see such a shocking center mid performance cause im struggling to think of one, you usually have one of the two play well but to have both play bad is very rare. Everyone else out there today,well played,nothing special but nothing to worry about,no one broke a sweat and no injuries just a shame about the bookings.
    Don't fancy Barnsley home or away remember Scunthorpe. Blackburn at home would do me.
    Come on wall!!!!!!!!!!

• February 16, 2013 at 21:02

Dont get me wrong dunne did wot he had to but this was luton, if we dont get smith at end of season then need a rb..just think we need to be harder to beat..wel done fordey today solid mate.

• February 16, 2013 at 21:11

Wasn't there, but have seen the goals on the internet.,so this is based on where we are now.
    Good to have risen to the opportunity to get into the last eight. Good results for non-Premiership teams today so anything can happen now, A draw avoiding any of those could get us into the semi finals. Personally, Forget about either Manchester club in the quarter finals....Let's get a winnable game at home.
    Looked at the table after today's games and we're twelth. That's where the priority lies. I have been thinking this week about Millwall. I can't imagine life without them. The summer break is bad enough. So, here's to moving on and up, staying up and having a good cup run.
    Well done today to the team, to Hulse and to the supporters.

• February 16, 2013 at 21:18

I think that signing their lad Andre Gray would be in order, KJ. He looked way above the league he's in & it won't be long before he's snapped up. Good result under difficult circumstances really & good that we kept a clean sheet.

• February 16, 2013 at 21:24

Yeah he looked good bolland and I liked the look of their no. 17 I think his name was o'donnel

• February 17, 2013 at 01:08

Cant wait to see who we get next round, please be at home hopefully Barnsley we owe them big time,
    Great win COYL Dunee Osbourne are not my favorite players ok for league 1 or 2 not the championship Kenny has got to let em go, hurry and get better Danny S, Trotter can anybody tell me why he dont get dropped the last 10 games or so hes been poor, should have sold him on and got some new players now hes been rumbled as a lazy F........Ker no team will want him now

• February 17, 2013 at 01:15

I thought K J was looking at Gray in the transfer window he would be a good buy for us the boy is strong and knows were the goal is.

• February 17, 2013 at 10:06

Trotter needs a shave. He looks like a hate preacher!

• February 17, 2013 at 16:04

Iike him the beard don't work .

• February 17, 2013 at 20:28

Too true. Don't like the beard...not Millwall at all!