Jackett defends Millwall fans after racism documentary

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett has questioned whether a Sky Sports News investigation into racism in football "looked at the broader picture."

Undercover footage filmed at The Den featured prominently in the 30-minute documentary, which aired on Monday, and Jackett has suggested the Lions were given unfair coverage.

A 53-year-old man has been arrested and charged with a racially aggravated public order offence after being filmed shouting racist abuse at Leeds United striker El Hadji Diouf.

Jackett, speaking ahead of his side's FA Cup tie with Luton Town, said: "How far did the people look? How many grounds did they go to? How many games? And in which areas of the ground?

"They are questions I don't know the answer to but you need to look at the broad picture. They are the people who can answer that. Is it a cheap shot? An easy one? That is not one I can sum up.

"I can give an unbiased view on what is a fantastic football club and we will make sure that we take our responsibilities, we won't hide away from things and will face them head on.

"But you're not talking about a majority situation here whatsoever. We don't condone racism. It is society's and football's problem and we want to eradicate it if we can.

"I think it is a minority. To some degree, a minority is too much but it does reflect society."

Jackett believes it will be almost impossible to rid football of racism as long as it still exists in society. He said: "It very much depends on what happens within the area we are in in South London.

"Football is only a reflection on what happens outside. It does depend on how society goes. There are bigger and wider issues. But as well as that, we do take our responsibilities and part in it.

"Ignorance and awareness have to be improved on. We work very hard as a club to look after our supporters and players.

"Obviously racism plays no part. As a club we have been at the forefront of many schemes, trying to improve racism right the way through football and we have backed many schemes.

"When things like this happen it does put us to the forefront. We are not happy with that but we are quite happy to continue to be at the forefront of trying to eradicate racism."

12 thoughts on “Jackett defends Millwall fans after racism documentary

• February 14, 2013 at 17:15

Well done Kenny. Always behind us, in front and beside us. Long live the Ken!

• February 14, 2013 at 18:09

Pretty much what I said when I emailed sky Kenny. Love to see them do this a one of the so called prem's big 4 clubs, but they wouldn't because of the money they blindly plough into them

• February 14, 2013 at 19:08

Love that man!!!! Long live King Kenny! Can you imagine if Rio Ferdinand was bloodied by a coin at Millwall and not man city? I am sure that most of us on this site wish that the bottle throwers and low life scum who choose to come to The Den (They're definitely not supporters) would find something else to do with their limited intelligence, but this was a hatchet job, I'm sure if they carried out a secret investigation at ANY club their findings would be the same. Racism and idiocy are society's ills and not Millwall's alone. I'm sure there's a fair smattering of racists and sexists on the staff at Sky, oh no, sorry they sacked Messrs Gray and Keys, all sorted then. Mr Murdoch has some front trying to take the moral high ground at our expense!!!!

• February 14, 2013 at 20:05

And some people question KJ, we all have our faults but even with his Kenny is a diamond.

• February 14, 2013 at 20:28

i was at ipswich last month, i chose to sit in the john cobbold stand with the so called intellegent ipswich supporters, for an hour it was non stop abuse aimed at any millwall player,but then it got better, ipswich bring on michael chopra and now they turn on their own player with vile racial comments hurled in his direction, half chat chopra was one of the nicer chants some old man kept shouting, and on another occasion when chopra didn't get to the ball the same ol boy in his ipswich scarfe shouted loosen that turban thats around your legs you b**** c***. there was a lot of other stuff too vile to put on here. now would sky even dream about taking their poxy little hidden camera to the backwater that is ipswich tn fc, cos i didn't go looking for this ,there it was large as life, and plenty of ipswich supporters around were laughing at this vile crap, so sky every clubs got em unfortunately so give someone else a turn

• February 14, 2013 at 20:36

Too true. You go down the average golf club, what passes for humour and 'political comment' down there would make Nick Griffin blush! My worry is that this negative press attracts more half wits who think that that's all we're about at Millwall. Whilst I understand they can't ignore what goes on, if they have any social conscience they would highlight the positive steps that we have taken as a club to rid us of these clowns and reinforce the message that we don't want them down here.

• February 14, 2013 at 21:38

We haven't got rid of these clowns AND WE'RE ALL TO BLAME.
    In the Millwall programme it states quite clearly that if someone in your vicinity is causing offence for whatever reason you have several options to report it. Including doing so privately without fear of being the one who grassed. I am 100% sure that a lot of people heard that and did or said nothing.
    It's ok to chant 'Rooney, Rooney' ifor example when watching him play for England in the pub but if Man Utd come to the DEN anytime soon he'll get slaughtered. Isn't that abuse as well ? Or is it good natured banter, and when does it become offensive ? When someones black ? Or got long hair ?
    We can't have black players being slaughtered at Millwall. It's 'their' black players and not 'ours' ?
    Life bans for ALL sporting events for these morons and we all know it's not unique to Millwall we're just the scapegoats as usual. This is all towards stirring up the s*** for the game at Luton. Already, I see that Luton players have been told to stay on the pitch despite any racial provocation. Very sad that once again thanks to the smallest minority we're on a hiding to nothing.

• February 14, 2013 at 22:02

I agree with you Nickola - on all counts. Whilst not detracting from the actions of these berks in any way, they are vile and I would quite happily report it, it is, as you say, stirring s***, especially before Luton. What value did their report have? What revelations did it uncover? - some football goers are numptys and some go to Millwall, I could have told them that. But some go to Chelsea, some got to Man Utd, some go to 'salt of the earth' Liverpool but that's not the story they want to tell. It's why some people shy away when I say I support Millwall and others say 'you're not like a Millwall fan'. I am, and we need to defend our club on two fronts, from the p***** in the press who find any excuse to further demonise our club and from the p***** amongst us feed their prejudice. We all need to stand up and be counted!

• February 14, 2013 at 22:18

Too bloody right.
    I don't really think that Millwall will ever be a 'family' club as we're tainted historically, and currently, with being 'problamatic'. They put families on the photo pages in the programme
    It's true to say that that reputation has, to some degree in the past, been warranted.
    Millwall F.C. have made tremendous strides to try to put a fresh coat of paint on the past with limited success.
    I'm 100% Millwall. Blue blood. Been there, done that, going back many years.
    It's a tough area. Millwall is not for the feint hearted. Away supporters shy away despite an enclosed area from the station. We're 3 miles from Charlton. The support is 'different'. That's why they get double away support at the Valley compared to us. You can't hid away from that. I've had all sorts of comments aimed at me from non-Millwall supporters. BUT, the real problem is that we revel in this infamy. 'I'm Millwall. I'm hard. I've got a reputation'.
    The real problem is that we all revel in our infamy.

• February 14, 2013 at 22:46

Not all of us. I fell in love with Millwall because it's got character. My family have lived in Bermondsey and the surrounding area for generations. It is a hard area, but it's got soul. These berks don't understand what Millwall is about. My grandad told me, being a man is knowing when to stand up and when to sit down. I've always tried to remember this and to my mind that's how real 'Wall are. These morons are just an embarrassment to all of us. I don't want to be like charlton or palace (maybe I'm wrong), I like the character of our club but these p***** don't get it at all.

• February 15, 2013 at 01:56

The media will tear us apart if its not racism it will be about plastic bottles being thrown on the pitch, riots in 1985 they will always batter us with our past, for that they will drive that stake in as much as they can against Leeds there was over 14000 Wall supporters not being racist makes me sick the injustice, we will always be a target used as a smoke screen to divert the attention from bigger issues that are going on like the 6 or 8 reporters getting arrested for phone hacking again. Wonder who they work for

• February 15, 2013 at 10:28

Adsy, I like that... Your grandad is absolutely right mate. And Nickola I hadn't heard that about the Luton players, but I think that's an absolute liberty by whomever put that out. You know what, on Saturday and then back at the Den, I would like to see the Sky team back amongst us listening to us real fans ROARING!!!!! Roaring so loud to get behind the boys and show our disapproval to those who taint the club.
    Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..................