Hulse grateful for "fresh start" at Millwall after QPR troubles

© Daniel Heywood
© Daniel Heywood

ROB Hulse says his loan move to Millwall could become permanent at the end of the season after admitting his career at QPR is over.

Hulse, who is out-of-contract at Loftus Road in the summer, made his first start for the Lions in their 2-1 defeat to Blackpool last Saturday.

And the 33-year-old is already planning for the future after being told by new Rangers boss Harry Redknapp that he will not be offered a new deal at the West London club.

"Obviously I saw Harry in training and he said he would help me in terms of getting me out on loan, which he did, so I'm pleased," Hulse said.

"We'll see how I get on at Millwall. The option [to make the move permanent] is there at the end of the season, so hopefully I can do well for the manager and the team.

"I've had six or seven clubs and most of them have been great but QPR never worked out because of injuries and several other factors.

"I think I only started 12 games in two-and-a-half years, so it's just nice to get away and get a fresh start. There's a good bunch of lads here and I'm enjoying my football."

15 thoughts on “Hulse grateful for "fresh start" at Millwall after QPR troubles

• February 14, 2013 at 13:51

Oh my god!! really?! We took a step forward shipping out Hendo - If we sign Hulse permanently it'll be 3 steps back!! I'm sorry but he's too old and personally I think Hendo is a better athlete and footballer than him!!

• February 14, 2013 at 13:57

Henderson a better athlete? Only done something when he got given the ball. Was at Blackpool on Saturday, Hulse made himself available all the time to get the ball, not only that he would use the ball well to link up with Afobe. Granted, he is not a 20 goal striker, but he will chip in and help others around him.

• February 14, 2013 at 14:26

Yes a better athlete.... Hulse may well make himself available etc but as a striker we need him scoring goals Henderson scores goals! This guy has knocked Millwall back twice before and now nobody else wants him he's come in on loan and within a month is already talking about a permanent deal.... I don't think he's good enough to be our focal point and he's 2 years older than the target man we had! Don't get me wrong I'm behind the guy every minute he's in a 'Wall shirt and I hope he does well but I've seen too much of him previously to think he's the answer up top for us!

• February 14, 2013 at 15:18

You cannot judge someone on how they performed at a different club, playing a different style of football under a different manager, not fair! We have signed some absolute s**** in my time and they have turned out to be decent enough players.

I agree Omer, Hulse's movement is better than Hendo, only does something when the ball was within a yard of him and Hulse can create more for the players around him as well as chipping in with a few goals, decent enough signing at the moment as nothing much available but cant see us signing him permanently at the end of the season.

Who would have thought we would be arguing about having Rob Hulse a couple of season back? Progress is progress.... and now we have a chance at shipping out some of the weaker players at the end of the season.

Also when did you ever see one of ur youngsters or any players being loaned out to fellow football league clubs rather than conference South div 2 sunday sides, must be going in the right direction.

• February 14, 2013 at 14:55

Perhaps, if he had joined when we first asked him he would be a permanent squad man now for us and Hendo wouldn't have been in the conversation. Far too old for us and why would we want someone even the anoraks gave back when their striker was fit.

• February 14, 2013 at 15:36

This quote isn't a resounding signal of commitment to the club is it, still, if he motivates himself then that's ok so long as he returns on the investment by scoring and making the team better. He is a professional that will do his best for his own beneft, not because he feels any affiliation for the club, which is fine by me. Personally, I thought Hendo had lost interest and was not looking good having come back from his reccent injury.

• February 14, 2013 at 16:50

As we must now resign ourselves to the fact that our play-off hopes are all but dead, not only are we 9 points adrift there are also 5 other teams in our way. My concern is that we do not slip further as the relegation zone is only 7 points away. Hulse did show some good signs at Blackpool, he hit the woodwork a couple of times, thats a lot more than others have done in the past few weeks. Give him a chance, if he doesn't deliver, then he will be gone at the end of the season. Maybe between now and the begining of next season, new faces will be brought in, deadwood got rid of and maybe the likes of O'Brien and Wilkinson will be pushing for first team places. COYL

• February 14, 2013 at 18:14

Sorry glyngo but even if he scores ten goals we should send him back. at his age he will not get any better he will not be here on a permanent contract it's a stop gap for him and us its what was available at a time when we needed a different option up top, like it or lump it and lump it is how we'll play with him in the side. He should be an option on the bench when we need a bully to cause a bit of grief if we're holding out for a tight win. And where does it leave AK ? Afobe's loan deal probably includes an agreed amount of game time and listening to both he and hulse it sounds like they're the preferred front two, he might be off the boil of late but no more than two thirds of the team. What a headache for kenny

• February 14, 2013 at 18:45

Hendo, an athlete? DARIUS HENDERSON? the same bloke who has spent half his life on a treatment table? athlete would be one of the last words I'd use to describe him.

• February 14, 2013 at 19:13

Seriously i think we need to stop digging in on hulse, he's only done good since his been here and I personally wasn't a fan of henderson anyway. I honestly think that hulse is better than henderson at playing and as an athlete. I don't even think you can call a man who spends half the season on an operation table an "athlete". I personally would be quite happy if he signed on if he keeps playing as he has, and for people who say he's too old, he's only 3 years older than henderson (or even 10 years younger coz hendo looked like a granddad!)

• February 14, 2013 at 19:17

I think Hendo might have been out one week with athlete's foot 82? Hulse was never one to rely on speed, so if he's fit...... We need a target man for the system KJ wants to play. There's no doubt it paid dividends earlier in the season (albeit in tandem with Wood). Henderson didn't look interested most of the time and was injured for a lot of the rest of the time, I admit he had a couple of great games. Hulse looks already like more of a tryer and more of a team man. If we are looking to replace Henderson, Hulse could fit the bill and is less injury prone and cheaper than Hendo. Now we just need to replace Wood!

• February 14, 2013 at 19:19

PS - Great photo for this article - looks like the semi for Britain's Ugliest Footballer. And the winner is..............

• February 14, 2013 at 21:23

Give him a break. I personally don't think he's the answer to our problems but if he scores the winner next game we'll all be holding him aloft.
    Let's not forget that Teddy Sherringham turned down Millwall several times towards the end of his career to go elsewhere.
    If Hulse gives 100% he'll be an improvement on Henderson and that's a fact.

• February 15, 2013 at 02:37

Pity he never realised the fact that he might enjoy his football with us 10 years ago when we first went in for him and when he had something to offer.

• February 15, 2013 at 05:50

Bit early to be talking about a permanent deal yet. Best score a few first like.