Captain Shittu committed to eradicating racism at Millwall

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

CAPTAIN Danny Shittu says he will do "all he can" to help eradicate racism at Millwall after a handful of fans were filmed shouting abuse during matches at The Den.

But the 32-year-old says the actions of a small minority should not overshadow the club's work to combat racism in football and in the local community.

Undercover footage filmed at the Lions' home match against Leeds United in November showed an individual shouting racist jibes at striker El Hadji Diouf.

Shittu said in a statement: "I am deeply saddened by the documentary on Sky Sports News showing racism by the minority at matches including at Millwall.

"As the captain, racism is something I do not stand for or condone. I am in talks with the club about any further measures we can take in dealing with and eradicating racism at matches.

"I do not want the events shown yesterday to tarnish the hard work done by the club thus far and their efforts in tackling this issue.

"Every player at all levels has the right to represent their club without being subjected to racial or homophobic taunts. I will do all I can to help eradicate racism at my club and in football."

5 thoughts on “Captain Shittu committed to eradicating racism at Millwall

• February 12, 2013 at 17:58

Hope Danny don't take that Sky stuff to heart, we love him down the den its a problem in society not football and we are always singled out at Millwall. I have yet to speak to anyone who even knows that bald mug givving it on the film and I have been trying! probably works for sky.

• February 12, 2013 at 18:05

Well done Danny. It takes courage to stand up for what you believe in. Personally, I think it's high time the club made you it's ambassador.

• February 12, 2013 at 18:45

When they track him down put him a room with Big Dan then see if stands by his racist views!!

• February 12, 2013 at 18:59

Love the way he says 'my club'. He really has become one of us, as has Jimmy and many before. They are proper 'Wall, which goes to show being proper is nothing to do with race, class, creed or colour. There's something special about being Millwall, that most fans and some players just 'get'. Being Millwall is about knowing when to stand up and when to sit down - Danny's shown that he's one of us - them idiots definitely ain't. COYL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 12, 2013 at 20:51

Here here,
    What pleases me is that a "BLACK" player who walked away from us,realised his mistake and came back and apologised like a "MAN" for doing so can openly come out and tell it like it is. I applaud you Danny for doing the right thing, Protecting OUR club in an HONEST fashion.