Afobe hoping Hulse partnership can get Millwall firing again

© Daniel Heywood
© Daniel Heywood

BENIK Afobe is hoping his partnership with fellow loanee Rob Hulse will get Millwall firing again after a barren spell in front of goal.

The Lions, who slipped to their fourth straight Championship defeat against Blackpool on Saturday, have found the net just twice in their last five league games.

Afobe was thrown straight into Kenny Jackett's starting line-up at Bloomfield Road a mere 24 hours after completing his loan switch from Arsenal but the youngster says he is settling in already.

And the striker revealed he knew all about QPR frontman Hulse prior to the move, having kept track of the 33-year-old's career during his development with the Gunners.

"I've been watching Rob play for many years," Afobe told NewsAtDen. "As a youngster growing up, I watched him play for Derby and other teams in the Premier League.

"He is a really good partner for me because he holds the ball up well, flicks it on and plays one-twos. Hopefully, I can start a good partnership with Hulsey and get some goals.

"I'd only trained with him once before the game but he kept speaking to me on the pitch, so it was really nice to play with someone like that.

"The boys have been fantastic with me. They were talking to me on the way up to Blackpool and just said to play my own game. It was easy for me to come into the team.

"The gaffer spoke to me a few days before I signed and said that I'd get my chance at Millwall and the team would benefit the way I play. I've only played one game, but that's how I feel already.

"I've been made to feel part of the team really quickly and hopefully we can start winning games. My main priority is to score goals and hopefully that will get me into the fold at Arsenal."

Afobe's first appearance for the Lions was tinged with disappointment after Nathan Delfouneso hit a stoppage-time winner for the Tangerines.

James Henry's goal, scored direct from a corner, had given the visitors a deserved lead but Thomas Ince equalised in the second-half before Delfouneso stole the points.

And Afobe felt his new team deserved more out of the game. He added: "I was very happy to make my debut and to have started the game.

"When we went 1-0 up I was thinking 'this could be it' – but unfortunately we missed a few chances and it wasn't meant to be. I thought we deserved a draw at least and were unlucky at the end."

7 thoughts on “Afobe hoping Hulse partnership can get Millwall firing again

• February 11, 2013 at 10:30

we need aomthing and quick and robbo

• February 11, 2013 at 12:42

Problem is our midfield are not doing enough for the team in general. Jimmy is the only one who week in, week out give 100%.
    Trotter, Henry, Feeney, Woolford etc... need to up there game. Trotter has gone to pieces over the last 4 or so games. Just seems lost out there.
    All well and good getting new strikers in, but if we can't offer them any decent service, what's the point. Drop Trotter and get Josh Wright in there.

• February 11, 2013 at 13:07

That's b*****, Henry has been good this season and his work rate has improved a lot.
    Fair. Enough trotter does seem a bit lazy sometimes but I do think people exaggerate about him and blame him when it's the whole team that needs to improve.

• February 11, 2013 at 13:52

Benzo got it in one!! Just coz Trotter aint running round like a headless chicken doesn't mean he aint wrking! And IMO as much as Jimmy is running and wrking he is still the weakest midfielder we have, how can a center midfielder not be able to pass a ball 5 yards! Im not knocking the fella coz he does give 100% but I think Josh Wright needs a run of games, when he was playing towards the end of last season, thats when we went on a decent little run and got out of trouble

• February 11, 2013 at 14:42

Not sure how you can put the words 'Trotter' and 'working' in the same sentence at present!

• Pingback: Afobe hoping Hulse partnership can get Millwall firing again – News At Den | Sporting Chronicle®

• February 11, 2013 at 20:02

Trotter can't understand why fag packet don't drop him, he hides on the pitch in plain view, get him off put wright on give him a fair crack of the whip I'm sure we can push on mid table this year play offs are out of our reach now unless we can graft as a team. Starting at Luton a bit of serious graft will breed confidence.