Jackett "hurt and frustrated" after fourth straight defeat

© Michael Langdon
© Michael Langdon

KENNY Jackett said he had been left "hurt, frustrated and disappointed" by Millwall's heartbreaking defeat to Blackpool on Saturday.

Nathan Delfouneso's stoppage-time winner sealed a smash-and-grab victory for the Tangerines in a game the Lions had been controlling for the first hour.

James Henry's goal direct from a corner had given the visitors a deserved lead and they were still on top when Thomas Ince equalised against the run of play.

And so Millwall were stunned when Delfouneso scored at the death to send them back to South London empty-handed and reeling from a fourth consecutive loss in the Championship.

Jackett said: "I'm very frustrated and I am disappointed defensively with both of the goals we have conceded. It hurts. It hurts the players and myself as the manager.

"We've lost four on the spin and whatever the ins and outs of each of those games, there is a line there and that's winning or losing. We've lost those games.

"It's a black and white situation and we've been losing. We have to do something about that. Over a period of maybe ten games we've given away too may goals and not kept enough clean sheets

"Zeroes and ones against are what earn you points and we've given two goals away today. On any one occasion, sides can have two shots and score two goals but we haven't had zeroes enough.

"I felt that going forward we created more clear-cut chances than we have done in a while, without putting them away. We hit the bar twice and the 'keeper made a good save from Rob Hulse.

"It was tough for us to get a decision from the referee and the linesmen, throughout the game, but that's how it is for us away from home.

"We were ahead as the away side and were playing on the counter-attack, we weren't getting small decisions from the referee so you know people are going to come onto you.

"You have to sustain those periods of pressure, you have to come through them and ensure you do not concede. We didn't do that.

"Going forward there were opportunities for us in a spell where, generally, there haven't been. We need to continue to make those type of chances."

Despite the disappointment of the result, Jackett was pleased by his new strikeforce of Hulse and Benik Afobe, who was thrown into the starting line-up 24 hours after his loan move from Arsenal.

"The two new lads were a handful and brought a little bit to the team," he said. "For Benik, he has to step down for the cup game next week because he's cup tied.

"They both had good games and I am sure will add something during the run-in and the vital last few months of the season."

40 thoughts on “Jackett "hurt and frustrated" after fourth straight defeat

• February 9, 2013 at 21:10

Thems fighting words!!! F*** the league off, stay up/mid table ish and get a massive away tie in the quarter finals of the FA cup or even better by winning against one of the smaller teams and giving us a cup semi final at Wembley. Not looking past Luton but we should not be fearing a non league team, will it be tricky..... Yes, should we win that tie....... YES!!

We have had a decent season, flirted with the the playoffs (which Wood had a massive say in). Lets get realistic, stay up without drama, concentrate on possible big cup money and a possible great day out in some way shape or form take the cash, add it to what we are told we have for the right buys, spend it wisely in the summer and make a proper fist of it next season from game one not game ten onwards.

I now see what we are and more importantly what we ain't. And I see a cup run is what we should focus on because if Luton are despatched its laid out rather nicely for a big tie or a chance of Wembley.

• February 9, 2013 at 21:19

I think he will field a strong side for Luton and yeah we should beat them.

• February 10, 2013 at 00:32

That's that then...But it must be said, Blackpool your pitch was an absoloute disgrace, my dog wouldn't have s*** on that turf! I agree with the cup run, we've got a real chance of another day out which might make us attractive to new players next year. Consolidation in this league is a step in the right direction and I think that's what our season is all about now. Offload the passengers and start looking for some quality now. The attendance figures have been mentioned regularly on here and that does have a major impact on transfers, but if we spent a bit on established players rather than rough diamonds then the results should improve consistently, meaning the fans will come back. They are out there, albeit fickle. If we ever did go up, we would sell out every week!

• February 10, 2013 at 08:18

The fickle thing annoys me at times. I now live in High Wycombe and its a slog to come to games and costs around £100 to come with my two eldest boys.

I was at Hull when we went up to the old Division One (I was 10 but only a few thousand can claim that) I was a season ticket holder for multiple seasons, I was a major car accident watching us away at Nowich in 1987/88.

I think fickle is totally acceptable until the club shows us that we are aiming towards something other than remaining in the Championship. Why should fans shell out when the club wont, yes we make a loss and JB covers the deficit blah blah blah, hearing that is not exactly exciting enough to encourage the fans we clearly have but who would rather spend the money we earn on our family's to return week in week out. To do that I for one would like to be entertained by us having exciting players and challenging for promotion...... Until then I am one of the fickle ones.

• February 10, 2013 at 10:43

I just read your post after posting mine bellow and I'm p***** with people using and blaming fans who don't go every week. Why should I be justifying to them why I can't go and what gives them more right to comment than me
      Up your b***** I'm millwall and gone all over the country watching us from the age of 3 with my dad and now I have the luxury of really looking forward to great days out with the boys on wall away days. I've been away when we had 8000 at old Trafford and watch mark Hughes score a second half hat-trick to break our hearts, matt Laurence's debut on a poxy Tuesday night in Wrexham, we didnt even know who he was and thought the announcer said Jamie so we started singing he's got a pineapple on his head, NHs first hat-trick at brentford I remember a big fat mug laughing and giving it after they scored I've never seen one man get so much abuse, Bristol city away on a Friday night s*** game that was, telling me ex I'm working and going to notts county instead another NH hat-trick,
      Swansea away on a Sunday afternoon probably the funniest memmory I have1500 wall making the vetch sound like a sheep farm so f*** you's I go when I can but I behave.and I only justify to me missus cause she's the mother of me kids and deserves luxurys herself. So get the f*** over it and rightly or wrongly complain about what's on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon instead.
      Millwall enough said

• February 10, 2013 at 09:44

We've spunked the cup money on loaning 3 strikers which aren't gonna get us promoted this season and tbh we didnt need to beat Luton. We have wasted too much money on s*** loans yet again. Until we get someone with a better scouting knowledge or a bit of help for JJ we will do this year in year out.

• February 10, 2013 at 09:50

I'll take the cup run all day of course I would but I want us to buck this trend of losing first, like Banks said lets finish mid table - at best with no dramas.we have a game next week that is winnable but I'll take a draw out of it and do em in the replay and pull anyone out of the hat, a big club or a champship club to give us more chance of wembley. We then have a must win league game against Peterborough before middlesboro start a very tough run of games. Winning is a habit but so is losing, when luck is on your side you get points out of games that you don't deserve but at the minute we've got f*** all luck and judging by what KJ has said above we're not getting the decisions from the officials but we all knew that would happen. I think we'll be ok come the end of the season.
    On the fans not turning up swanny of course we'll turn up if we go up that's normal for any club. we have a had a loyal base of 10,000 for as long as i can remember. if we play well week in week out a few more turn up if we have a big club or a big game then even more turn up,even away games, if we're on to something big we sell out in less than a couple hrs it's the way it has always been and always will be.at the old den we had f*** all turning up and then we go on an amszing unbeaten run to win promotion and people jump on the wagon,who gives a s*** it's all wall
    How can you have a buzzin atmosphere against your Peterboroughs and barnsleys unless its a play off or promotion game, and your right there's a lot of us out there mate but we have our reasons be it family,work,money ect. But I, like many, have served my time, I done the graft I'm just not in a position to go every week now. fickle ? Maybe I am, but millwall ? Too f****** right I am.

• February 10, 2013 at 10:11

I can see the point of consolidating ourselves in the league and going for a wembley day out but as a millwall supporter who goes almost very home game why should we settle for mid table when 5 weeks ago we were top 6 with January transfer window in sight!! The club needs to show ambition if they want the crowd to flok to the den, if we signed wood for 2million more people would have come to see the record signing!! A it stands we have hulse, Tyson and afobe, wood was better than all 3 put together by a mile. A few years back When palace were in the bottom 3 and dowie took over at Christmas did he say right we will settle for staying in the league this year! No he didn't he went for it!! That's what millwall need to do instead of tellin themselves they are not good enough! No team this league is brilliant, jk needs to change things around a bit drop trotter for starters!!

• February 10, 2013 at 14:13

What I find amazing is that the reality that we're not good enough to get into the top six now has suddenly just dawned on Millwall.
    During the pre-season I remember Jackett being quoted as saying that some of the players were going to be on their way as he didn't feel they were championship quality. Craig and Barron are two that come to mind, and off they went to pastures new. Towards the end of last season, Kane arrived and transformed Millwall. This year Wood did the same. It's naive at best to think that we can continue like that. The current squad, taken as a whole, has some obvious weaknesses. Smith will return to Spurs-we aren't going to get him permanently-and the back-up is Dunne who I don't really think is good enough, and neither does Jackett which is why Smith arrived in the first place. Lowry at left back has slotted in well but the back-up in Jack Smith is not good enough. Robinson back next season gives us 4 centre halves which is where we need to be if we include lowry in that equation. In midfield need two more players of top quality to give us the spine we're currently lacking. Two on loan strikers up front are not the solution either. Luton away may or may not get us into the last eight of the FA cup and the buzz that goes with that, if we do get through, is something that we live for but whilst the money such a run generates, and which is added to the money we've already got, needs to be heavily invested in giving the Millwall squad the major overhaul it so obviously needs. Papering over the cracks by bringing in players on loans etc. isn't going to do anything to solidify our Championship position. We need cement to fill those cracks with good top quality players which will then hopefully create a classic Millwall team. We do have the money. We do have a hardcore support which will be added to with new and returning supporters if we act. Time to act and invest in improving the squad by not using stop-gaps and taking stock of the situation and getting ready for next season cos top six dreams this season are well and truly over.

• February 10, 2013 at 14:36

Nicely put Nic but who will want to come there's really big clubs and a lot of money in this division look at the clubs underneath us in the league and not all the ones above us can go up add to that the 3 that come down from prem and if Sheffield utd come up that's a hard pool to compete against.what have we got to offer. I said recently I hope our full backs stay injury free cause its too uncomfortable to think about replacing them even for one game.
    It's time to move on this summer, thanks to the guys who got us back in champship but the quality just isnt there,but we can do the right thing and find them new clubs. it's hard enough in this division now god knows what it's going to be like next season.

• February 10, 2013 at 15:32

Yes Luke, agree 100%. It isn't going to get any easier and time to rectify the situation.
    Times up.

• February 10, 2013 at 16:46

Get a room you two.

• February 10, 2013 at 17:55

Great minds will always be as one benzo.

• February 10, 2013 at 19:05

Haha
    Arrrh Benz sounds like you need a huggy wuggy

• February 10, 2013 at 20:44

No one is having a dig at people who can't go every week or even at all, but if the criteria for turning up is if the club buys big name players and competing at the top of the league year in year out, sorry, but you've probably chose the wrong club! I'm no more or less Millwall than anyone on here, but I am realistic about what we are and what we've always been. Supporting Millwall has always been peaks and troughs, some great players, some great 'Wall players (poop anywhere else) and some absolutely awful players, some great seasons and some diabolical ones. All the time, for my mind anyway, we've always been 'Wall' - the certain something about this club, it's players and it's fans that makes it like no other A good few years ago during a particularly awful season and another home defeat, my then 10 year old, turned to me and said 'dad, we're not very good are we?', very hard when all his mates support Man U and Chelsea! I spent the journey home explaining that wasn't the point about being a Millwall fan. About 5 years later, when I'd forgotten all about our chat, my son said to me 'I get it now'. It get's in your blood. In my opinion, the club is moving in the right direction, the team is improving, albeit slowly. Loans are part of the Championship now, and without the money of the Prem, the only way clubs like ours can compete. Keep the faith chaps!!!!

• February 10, 2013 at 21:54

Trouble is that yesterday Charlton got double what our average home attendance is.
    The question that needs answering is why ?

• February 10, 2013 at 22:10

Well it's not because they've got a better team than us, are higher in the league than us or because of the signings they're making - their number one target is N'guessan!!!!!

• February 10, 2013 at 22:25

Agreed. So what is it then ?

• February 10, 2013 at 22:40

If I knew that mate........ maybe charlton is more family orientated, maybe the perceived hostility of The Den puts neutrals off coming??? Millwall is certainly not for the feint hearted. Whilst I wish the bottle throwers and other assorted half wits would f*** off, I don't want Millwall to become like the nigels or the clowns!! I love coming to Millwall and the atmosphere when it's rockin, and have brought my son and nephew from a very early age as my dad did with me, but outsiders view of our club as somewhere not to take the family. I think that we're like marmite, you either love us or hate us. But the short answer is I don't know.

• February 11, 2013 at 01:08

Because they were in the prem not too long ago And have always had bigger gates in the last 20 years to be fair. They're obsessed with attendances though. Bottom line is this, we get a league 1 level crowd every home game apart from 1 or 2 games, this means our overall budget is less than say someone like Leicester who get 20k plus every week. Add to it the fact we are not big merchandise buyers, you don't see many wearing replica shirts for example. If we sell 5 thousand shirts at £40 that's 200 grand, If other clubs are selling over double (which normally they are) then do the maths, it's another thing we are behind on. Food inside the ground, programmes, it all makes a difference. We are competing with clubs who are earning double, triple, what we do on a match day. Add it up over a season and we are well behind. Fact is we ARE punching above our weight. We have always spent more years in the 3rd div than the 2nd. We spend a few years here then go back down that's how it is. Dont ever EXPECT us to be a big club in this division it will not happen unless we get a rich Arab buy us. The fan base come and go as they please, constant bad publicity, we are not attractive for families and most tourists and most of the locals nowdays are all as English as shittu and ain't interested in Millwall one little bit. It all adds up to why we dont spend millions on players. Some people need to get real in my opinion and just enjoy what we have, your dad might have supported gillingham then how would you feel! If we ever go down, so be it, I'll still be there screaming and shouting every week.

• February 11, 2013 at 08:48

Ads: do one about maybe I have chosen the wrong club. I didn't f****** choose Millwall did I it was passed onto me by my old man god rest his soul. If I was to choose I think I would have plumped for a slightly more attractive team.

That's not to say I love Millwall Any less now.

Don't question my morals or doubt my commitment and make me sound a glory hunter, I am sure I have seen and done and been through more as a Millwall fan than many of the nailed on 10,000.

Kiss my teeth.

• February 11, 2013 at 12:47

Who's having a pop at you Jonny????. Think you've got the wrong end of the stick pal - I was agreeing with your first post and like you was born into Millwall!!!! Read what I wrote before you start telling me to do one!!!!!

• February 11, 2013 at 16:18

Jonny rotten!!!!!!!!
        In Ads favour he couldn't be avin a pop at YOU mate he clearly read YOUR post but he certainly was avin a pop at someone.

• February 11, 2013 at 17:41

Cheers, for your support Luke!!!!!!!; I wasn't intending to have a pop at anyone!!!!!
    I was making a general point about the fact that if you (meaning 'anyone' Jonny!) are only going to come along to Millwall if we make big signings or if we're riding high you (again meaning anyone for you sensitive souls!) you won't be coming very often!!!!! In your first post Jonny (of which I was one of the likes!) I thought that was the point you were making and agreed with you!!! You then went on to contradict yourself in your second post. If the club are going to DO ONE thing or another, to use your turn of phrase, I think it should be the first of your proposals. I thank you.

• February 11, 2013 at 19:06

Ads you welcome pal,
      I think some people, I include myself in this,sometimes only pick out certain parts of certain posts, to be honest ads I nearly responded with the same attitude but I read the posts again and realised your point so deleted what I was writing. It can get out of control sometimes and people add little comments that can be taken out of context. I only get all sensitive when someone touches a nerve like the fickle comment. I'm pretty sure jonny will realise it when he reads the posts again.
      It's nice to see the passion though boys shame some of the players don't show the same week in week out

• February 11, 2013 at 19:26

There's lots of reasons why people can't get to The Den as often as they'd like, wife, kids, distance, work, money, all of which are perfectly reasonable (as is 'I can't be assed' if it comes to that!). I am certainly NOT saying that unless you go every week, you are not entitled to an opinion - we all are by virtue of the fact we follow Millwall and feel enough to post on here; I was trying to make a general point that if your reasons for not coming are because we are not making big signings (for whatever reason) or challenging at the top all the time the likely hood is you'll miss more games than you'll go to!!!! I wasn't even saying that it wasn't a valid reason for not going. I will say that IMO it would be crazy for the club to start splashing the cash in the hope that the crowds will come. We'll still be paying those big fees and salaries whether the crowds come or not, look at Portsmouth (I feel for those fans big time) and leeds (bit less sympathy!). I also think it's unfair for the chairman to put even more cash in, if, for whatever reason, the fans aren't coming thru the turnstiles. At present we have about 10,000 regulars, 2-3000 floaters and however many away supporters. Being realistic, we can only spend with that in mind.

• February 11, 2013 at 22:04

Ads don't feel you have to explain yourself pal I knew after reading again what your point was and agree with ya mate except the (as is 'I can't be assed' if it comes to that) that's a wind up, and I haven't met a "wall" with that attitude yet, and Pompey, I'll put them in same bracket as Leeds they actually deserve where they are and qpr will end up down the same rd. I like what we're trying to do as a club there's a lot of graft gone into where we are at the minute. 2 yrs ago KJ said he's not into the loan market and thinks that's not the way forward. He's now realised that the loan market can help sometimes, if it fails you send them back and start again in this seasons case if it works some c*** nicks em off ya, but AK Lowry and beevers worked out in a big way and I can see BA joining that list as well. Your right about the money side of things in a yr or two the financial fair play rules come into play, if we smashed the clubs transfer record in jan then I can tell you now, no I wouldn't have gone to every game till the end of the season,it would not have changed a thing for me I'll go about 4 maybe 5 more games this season of which 3 will be aways, next season is a full season for me regardless what happens now. So I'm with you totally, you cannot run a business on those ethics you'll be found out and go bust, but it's said more out of frustration than anything else mate

• February 11, 2013 at 17:55

Kiss my teeth ! , Christ I hope we don't get anymore like you down there init bluf

• February 11, 2013 at 17:55

Blud

• February 11, 2013 at 18:28

Oi 82 get it rite rudee get me Dow
    Braaaaappp braaaaaapppp boooww
    Haha absolute b*****

• February 11, 2013 at 18:41

Oh f***, I've started a turf war!!!!!!!

• February 11, 2013 at 19:18

Sorry ads I tried to bail you out mate but
    I's not lookin 4 enee trubz get mee

• February 11, 2013 at 19:32

You're a soldier Smithy!

• February 11, 2013 at 20:15

Millwall is a way of life!!! It is what it is. Long live Millwall fc and its loyal fan base.

• February 11, 2013 at 22:43

Haha. Can't believe a Millwall fan would seriously write kiss my teeth. And sky says we are racist!

• February 11, 2013 at 23:24

Haha
      Isn't it ironic
      That's you adsy and me banned for life then 82

• February 12, 2013 at 00:47

Sorry Ads got De wrong End ov De Stik Innit!!!

• February 12, 2013 at 06:31