Jackett and Shittu fear bottle-throwers will damage Millwall

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MANAGER Kenny Jackett and captain Danny Shittu revealed their frustration after a handful of bottles were thrown onto the pitch during Millwall's win over Aston Villa.

The Football Association has confirmed it will investigate the incident, which saw assistant referee Mark Scholes targeted by four or five objects thrown from the Dockers Stand.

A spokesperson said: "We will be looking into it. We are awaiting the referee's report plus details from an FA crowd advisor who was present."

Shittu joined the majority of Lions fans in condemning the incident after the match. He said: "The bottle-throwing was disappointing but the crowd were there for us and they affected their players.

"Our fans can be really passionate but it doesn't need to go that far. That's why I went over to the side to calm it down a bit.

"The referee could report us and we really don't need things like that as a club."

Jackett added: "We can't condone that and to some degree it was disappointing. On the plus side, the atmosphere was fantastic and the supporters played a big part in a big win for the club.

"From my position pitchside, it's not easy to see the whole thing. It will go off the referee's report and whether he was worried about it during the game.

"It doesn't help us. We want our club to be passionate, we want our fans to be passionate but we can't condone people throwing bottles on the pitch.

"There's a line between supporting your club and creating a passionate atmosphere and we don't want to step over that line."

A Millwall spokesperson confirmed the club would be liaising with police to identify those involved. The FA could decide to issue sanctions if it feels the incident warrants disciplinary action.

"It's regrettable that the actions of three or four individuals should have blighted a very good night for the club," the spokesperson said.

"We will be liaising with the police and studying CCTV footage, which has proved very successful in the past in identifying offenders."

21 thoughts on “Jackett and Shittu fear bottle-throwers will damage Millwall

• January 27, 2013 at 11:30

I know as well as lots of you that the officals make some decision against us that look like they dont know what they are doing but that dose not mean you have to throw objects at them it goes bad against millwall the club WE all love,So when we or if we get fined please dont get on your high horse and say that we dont buy quality players how can we when we have no hopers throw objects on the pitch and getting millwall fined

• January 27, 2013 at 11:39

We all get caught the moment some times
    Supporters of millwall all ready have a bad rep we do not need to give the F A any reason to fine us as stupid moments like this cost us all

• January 27, 2013 at 11:48

The club moves forward (on & off the pitch ) and 3 or 4 knuckle dragging boneheads pull it back again. Hard to believe that these are 'supporters', they might as well be part of the opposition !

• January 27, 2013 at 11:54

It's the same divs every time, upper dockers stand sling em out for good

• January 27, 2013 at 12:06

Whilst throwing objects onto the pitch is both damaging for the club and unacceptable. I think questions should also be asked of the security, who seem more then happy to search through my jacket during small midweek games, yet when the crowds pick up a bit don't even check tickets when you enter the stands! For a club of our size the money we spend on the stewards is extortionate. Unfortunately we are always going to get fans at the den who only attend once in a blue moon, yet tarnish the reputation of fans who attend week in week out. I'm not saying its solely the fault of the security but they are there to counter the fans with that sort of mentality, and they should do so.

• January 27, 2013 at 13:27

I'm as fed up as any one but why is the blame
    Always with the people who don't turn up every week cause of work commitments I can't be here as much as I'd like and I'm sure I'm not the only one but I can assure you I ain't throwing bottles and coins. I think the focus should be on trying to stop people from doing it and not blaming the fare weather, I hear your point loud and clear but that little corner has been like it for yrs it was the west corner when we first opened and people and the club moved them out unfortunately for us as a club we seem to be struggling to stop it it must be 4 or 5 games a season it's happening and I like you's wished they'd f*** off and stop fcuking our club up we go 3 steps forward and 5 back and it's literally only a hand full doing it, and the old bill and stewards always stand back and watch almost every game I've been there's something happening in that part of the ground if the old bill can't sort then who can
    It's a shame we're here talking about a poxy incident from a top game on a nice Sunday afternoon. But I agree with all the above we obviously like doubling all that dough on old bill and stewards who ain't got the bottle to do their jobs properly

• January 27, 2013 at 13:53

match officials do not help the situation. there one point after the incident with the lineman walking off the touchline. were someone threw an empty PLASTIC bottle towards a villa player on our throwin, referee delayed reaction the game was in play. now he made a point by stopping the run of play and ran over to the bottle picked it up raised in the air for 4th official. Now them mic that are attached to the match officials. why cant they make the incident none privately over mic's, because incidents like that gets fans reactions, and to be surely that makes there job harder to do surely.

• January 27, 2013 at 15:22

I was sat there on Friday thinking when we as a crowd get going we scares the sh*t out of the opposiiton and we were definitely buzzing against Villa but when I saw the bottles I thought bad news! They always come from roughly the same area in the Dockes and I suspect are thrown by people who don't attend many games. Giving the opposition and officials dogs abuse is great but throwing plastic bottles, do me a favour!

• January 27, 2013 at 15:31

It is about time we took matters in to our Own hands and policed the stands ourselves. Forget this rubbish about honour amongst fans as These t****** do not care about Millwallfc, if I see anyone throwing bottles I will happily find the nearest copper and tell them exactly who it was and offer myself as a witness. Quite frankly I have had enough of their bullsh*t and will not tolerate any more!

• January 27, 2013 at 16:08

Easy soloution is to employ stewards who can do their job properly and to put all drinks into plastic cups and not let bottles over counter

• January 27, 2013 at 17:08

Anyone that has been to a rock concert will tell you that you can still throw a plastic cup quite far if you have enough liquid in it. And I mean any liquid!

• January 27, 2013 at 17:21

We are millwall dont let a few melts spoil it well dun wall very proud ov ow u responded

• January 27, 2013 at 20:05

Absolute c**ts. No other word for them. We should be able to spend the money made by a good run in the cup on improving the team not on fines and extra policing costs. Like I said before, some right clever sod in the Kitchener stand tried to hit the linesman with a bottle after we scored the winner!!!!! What if you'd have hit him, game abandoned, Millwall slung out of the cup, could have cost us a fortune you p****. These berks are NOT Millwall fans they're just c**nts

• January 27, 2013 at 21:06

Maybe the club should ask the fans to help them id the knobs and we can get them banned for life.

• January 28, 2013 at 01:04

They spend bundles on security if it ain't working its a waste of money there's a trouble spot in the upper docker stand 3 bods have been nicked they won't be back, just like to thank them for the heavy fine we are about to receive as that money could have gone towards new players. KNOBHEADS!!!!!!

• January 28, 2013 at 10:25

I was in East upper Block 17 on Friday i would say the bottles came from around 18 and 19 i couldn't see who threw the bottles but the people around me and myself included were not happy with what happened. There were people in front of us with bottles and i kept thinking to myself if you throw them i'm gonna give you a slap.

• January 28, 2013 at 10:32

I believe the answer lies with us, we have to enforce the rules amongst ourselves, you all know what happens when the stewards go into the crowd, they get loads of grief and abuse (Yes, I know that sometimes they act like they had their sense of humour removed at birth). WE should make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that bottle throwing is not acceptable and you stand alone if you do it. I just hope that decent fans don't get themselves thrown out for giving one of the knobs a slap, it's that or hand them over. MSC could spend some time encouraging fans to take action, we have enough members to cover all sides of the ground.

• January 28, 2013 at 11:21

I can see the pound notes p****** away over these idiots and their bottle throwing antics, the FA are bound to slap a hefty fine on the club soon for this, but what i will add is this, are the FA going to punish Villa for the small elements of their supporters that caused trouble around the back of the stands, not in the streets but on club property. To this my answer is this, they are a premier league club so NO bugger all. Just go after Millwall because of our history and a few mindless bafoons.

I love Millwall, dont get to anywhere nears as many games as id wish (family/work) please leave our famous club alone. COYL!!!!!!!

• January 28, 2013 at 11:44

Your right we need to enforce this ourselves, the F.A would love an excuse to punish Millwall as much as they can and these idiots are giving them the ammo, i wouldn't be surprised if they punish the real supporters by making it harder to get tickets for non members and season ticket holders.

• January 28, 2013 at 14:26

Find out who they are and ban them for life along with the two p***** fighting at half time in the CBL stand over a queue at the bar, our reputation will never recover if we let these prats keep dragging our club through the mud. The security is becoming a joke, we are searched at the turnstiles but rarely see any stewards or security after that, I was in block 11 on Friday and and couldn't see any security at all. Who is checking to see what is taken into the stands?

• January 29, 2014 at 03:26

Ian Holloway you are CLASS , thanks for putting tha facts over.