Shittu reveals Jackett's fury after Burnley horror show

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

CAPTAIN Danny Shittu revealed Millwall manager Kenny Jackett was furious with his players after their 2-0 defeat to Burnley.

Jackett described his side's performance against the Clarets as lacking "bite and desire" and Shittu admitted the Lions boss told the dressing room in no uncertain terms how unhappy he was.

"The gaffer had a go at us after the game, which we deserved," he said. "When you're playing for a manger like Kenny Jackett, he wants everyone to work.

"We've got to work harder than the other team – that's what being Millwall is about. After the game, we couldn't believe it. To have lost the game the way we did was disappointing.

"We knew that we hadn't played the way we usually do – the Millwall way. We are very disappointed in ourselves and the manager is disappointed in us. We've got to get that right in the next game.

"A lot of 50-50s were falling their way. That's not the way we usually are at home."

Despite slipping five points adrift of the Championship play-off positions, Shittu is still confident that Millwall can make a push for the Premier League this campaign.

"We're still in the league and we still believe we can get promoted," he said. "We want to finish up there at the end of the season.

"I've played in this league many times before and I've seen teams more than five points adrift at this stage finish in the play-offs.

"When I was at Watford, we were ten points clear at the top in January and only just finished in the top six – so anything can happen and things change quickly."

Are you interested in getting the latest betting odds for upcoming football fixtures? Make sure you check out the football betting tips today at bwinbetting.com and take advantage of their fantastic odds!

17 thoughts on “Shittu reveals Jackett's fury after Burnley horror show

• January 21, 2013 at 11:26

So who gives Jacket a rocket for his rubbish substitutions.... that'll be me then Kenny you got it very wrong sort it out for Friday.

• January 21, 2013 at 11:39

KJ definitely faield to react to what was happening in front of him, but I didn't see many options when so much was going wrong. He has to accept responsibility for the lack of conviction though, it's his and hs teams job to make sure the players go out with a workable plan and fighting spirit in em.

• January 21, 2013 at 12:03

Anyone know why we have Racon warming our bench, never getting on - EVER and collecting a nice £5k a week for it???

• January 21, 2013 at 15:30

Truth of the matter is our squad, although the best we've had in years just can't cope when we have important players like Lowry, Taylor, and because he's the only target man we have, Henderson missing.
    Both Smith's IMO had bad games, as did Keogh, Woolford and Trotter. Nguessan just looks anything but the striker we need. Tyson got injured pretty much as soon as he came on, I could go on - and dare I say it, Burnley looked like a good team, one of the better teams I've seen this season. How do you think Wolves, Blackburn and Forest fans feel when we go there and beat them!!! It was just a very bad day for Millwall who never got going. The fans and the management know where we are short. We are having a great season which is exceeding most of our expectations. We are still ninth, have the best manager in the division, a good chairman and have money to spend on the RIGHT players!!!! Bad day, move on!!!! COYL

• January 21, 2013 at 15:42

Yes we're having a good season which is exceeding expectations but in my opinion the club are starting to shy away from showing real ambition our league position (up until Saturday) presented the club with an opportunity to make a statement of intent, get a top goal getter in and really push for the play offs now! We missed out n Wood and we have got an injured Tyson as a replacement..... not ideal! And I also dont stand for all this "the right player isnt available BS" If the club were serious about challenging for the prem then they'd go out and find "the right player" or players to get there - But so far we havent seen it!! I think KJ and JB are great for the club and I didnt expect a play off push back in August but being this close and then flopping like a jelly on a wet matress (which unless something happens we will do) is frustrating!! Jack Smith and Dany N'Guessen aren't fit to wear the shirt at the moment!!

• January 21, 2013 at 15:57

Bermondsey, I usually agree with you, but who would you go for? There are loads of clubs out there with more money than us who can't find the right player, Ipswich (McLean and McGoldrick, both linked with us haven't started well), Blackburn (if Rhodes gets injured they're donald ducked), Forest (apparently trying to sign Hendo); the list goes on mate.........
    If the club hadn't tried to sign Wood, I might agree with you more, but we tried so hard to get him. If the chairman said gates are down, there's no money for players, I'd agree it's an opportunity wasted.
    If Wood had signed we'd have been sorted already. As it stands he changed his mind at the last minute, leaving us in the lurch. Most of the business is done at the end of the transfer window especially with Prem clubs, once they know who is coming in, who won't sign a contract etc so at the moment we are in limbo.
    PS -I agree with you on Nguessan but although Smith was awful on Saturday, he usually puts in a shift and is a good squad player.

• January 21, 2013 at 16:29

To be honest mate I think McLean would have been ideal for how we play, DJ Campbell is back at QPR and being linked with Hull..... we could have a look at him he's proven at this level!! There are players out there - I see Marlon King has been told he can find a new club - older than we want and a jail bird i know but he bags goals at this level for fun! Cardiff currently have 7 or 8 strikers on their books I'm sure one of those could be lifted - Do you think we really tried as hard as we could and pulled out all the stops for Wood?! There's no question the chairman did his bit in getting the cash agreed to put down for him but on a contractual level did we do all we could? I'm not so sure! at the time Leicester were a single point better off than us!! Agreed are gates are lacking at the moment which is a crying shame considering so many more know where Wembley is when we get there!! Smith does usually put a shift in but he lacks the quality happy with him being a squad player but Dany is looking awful and I thnk he's getting worse, again yet another player stealing a living on his £4k a week!! As for Hendo I'd drive him to Nottingham myself the way he's played since he's been back!!

• January 21, 2013 at 16:45

Trouble is Jack is a very right sided player so for me he a right back or nothing. The Racon this is ridiculous, as is KJ's persistance with N'Guessan. We could have done with Tam on Saturday sitting in front of the back 4...where was he.... so many questions Why was Keogh playing up the middle....why take Woolford off and replace him with Tyson when he should have replaced N'Guessan........ I'll be cheering them on Friday , its all part of supporting Millwall.

• January 21, 2013 at 17:52

I was talking to a bloke who is mates with Marquis' dad (close connection on my part) who said JM said that Wood gave all of the players the impression he was going to join right up until he didn't. Like WBA when they kept upping the fee and we met it, Leicester kept upping the wages and we kept matching it (into 5 figures) only for Wood's agent, who is also his dad, to say he would be joining leicester because he had more chance of going up with leicester. What can you do? N'guessan - unfortunately we don't have too many options at the minute, don't rate him but he had half decent games against bolton and bristol. DJ Campbell is on a lot of money at QPR (I mean a LOT!!!!), there are a queue of Championship clubs that want him and can't afford him, Marlon King likewise (and I don't know if I'd want that scumbag at Millwall - the papers would have a field day!). McCormack from Cardiff would be the only one I'd want from there. If you do give Hendo a lift make sure you don't mention brasses!!!!! As Lincolnshire says 'it's all part of supporting Millwall'!!!!

• January 21, 2013 at 17:55

PS - I'm begining to think we should post a missing persons report for Racon. Maybe Hendo's murdered him and he's buried under the Dockers stand!

• January 21, 2013 at 18:00

Yeah that fits with the Twitter lads.... Feeney, Trotter and Wright all seemed a bit miffed about Wood - He gave the world the impression if it was made possible he'd sign for us but there you go! I also heard daddy got a cushty bung for the Leicester deal!

• January 21, 2013 at 18:07

That's life I'm afraid Bomber. I know the club are working to bring someone in. I think we'll probably have to wait til the end of the window once the big boys have sorted their squads out. You never know, we might have been given the nod already. I wouldn't want us to spend our dough only for someone better to become available later on (Campbell, Morison, Kane) KJ usually gets it right more often than not!

• January 21, 2013 at 18:45

Afraid so! Oh I have faith in Kenny... Just frustrated and Saturday was a huge disappointment! Nobody got up for the game having said that Dyche always seems to have our number 118!! I'm keeping a close eye on the prem transfers but not much seems to be moving yet!

• January 21, 2013 at 18:48

Norwich have just upped their bid for Hooper from Celtic - might free up Kane or Morison????

• January 21, 2013 at 19:23

Morison don't get a look in right now as it is! but would he come back having slated us when he left?!

• January 21, 2013 at 21:18

I agree with the smith and nguessan jibe,they out of their depth! Fancy kenny to pull one outa the bag before end of jan and then can kick on to playoffs. Cman wall

• Pingback: online micro jobs