Ward was treated "like a schoolboy" during Millwall spell

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

FORMER Millwall defender Darren Ward has accused the club of treating him "like a schoolboy" prior to his move to Swindon Town.

Ward, who joined the Robins on loan in August before signing a permanent 18-month contract at the County Ground last week, claims he had been desperate to leave the Lions for some time.

Over two separate spells at The Den, the centre-back made 270 appearances for Millwall and played in an FA Cup Final and the League One play-off final in 2010.

But he told the Gazette and Herald: "I am delighted to be at Swindon because I've not really enjoyed my football for some time before this move, and I had been looking to get away from Millwall.

"I have had to keep my mouth shut and just get on with it for quite some time, but I really didn’t like it there and I was not happy with how I was treated.

"I love Millwall and I love the fans and the players, but I didn’t enjoy my football for many reasons and now I am at Swindon I can just get on with what I love doing.

"I wasn’t treated well at all, and I was a 34-year-old getting treated like a schoolboy, and I really didn’t like that one bit. In myself I didn’t enjoy it at all, but as a footballer you have to get on with it.

"I had worked hard and I did very well there, my record shows for itself, and when you work hard you like to be credited and that wasn’t happening."

12 thoughts on “Ward was treated "like a schoolboy" during Millwall spell

• January 16, 2013 at 10:03

Very ambiguous comment by Wardy, he deserves good treatement as he was a good servant to the club but I felt he was way past his best when KJ dropped him to the reserves. Saw him getting caught in posession and passes not finding their target, which was previosuly a great strength in his game. It's a tough game and if you are not in the managers plans you have to move on ASAP.

• January 16, 2013 at 10:21

Wardy was a great servant but well past his best! Personally I think he should have been let go a year ago! Was there really any need to come out with this after keeping his "mouth shut" for so long?!?!? Sour Grapes in my opinion which is a shame after such a good career with us!

• January 16, 2013 at 10:25

It's a bit disappointing that he came out with this comment. He ought to reflect that his form had dipped and that was why he was in the reserves. If that is treating him 'like a schoolboy' then I can see nothing wrong with that. I am sure he was frustrated but he needs to recognise that he had lost any pace he had and was poor at defending set pieces. Nevertheless, I wish him well at Swindon.

• January 16, 2013 at 10:51

It is perhaps natural that he was upset at the way he was treated. I am sure though that the club could have given him a bit of dignity as he fell down the pecking order. After all he was a very good servant to us in his two spells at the club. It was right for him to be dropped and also right that he moved on. It's a shame on both sides that it has left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

• January 16, 2013 at 12:25

muppit.

• January 16, 2013 at 12:31

Maybe Shittu was stealing his dinner money and he didn't like KJ's homework assignments.....

• January 16, 2013 at 13:48

Wardy to be fair you played like a schoolboy in the end...... Too slow for the Championship , it wasn't the club it was your age it happens mate suck it up and get on with it

• January 16, 2013 at 14:44

I said on another message board when he was signed for a second time that a 3 year contract was too long to give a player of his age an i was proved right as he should have been released a year ago.

• January 16, 2013 at 15:50

Go to the back of the class Darren and write 100 lines, 'I must not b**** about my old football club'

• January 17, 2013 at 02:58

I'd like to know exactly what it is he's talking about i'm sure it's just not the fact that he was dropped. Ward although a decent servant was never exceptional, he was never the stand out CB in whatever division we were in he was just steady and pretty reliable.
    I hate all these snipes as soon as players leave clubs i don't think it does them any favours and shows a failing in their character, criticisms of clubs should be left until a player retires and has had a chance to reflect on his career not as soon as he's out of the door.
    Maybe he should remember that after his serious injury at Watford we took a bit of gamble in bringing him to the Den and gave him a chance.

• January 17, 2013 at 14:18

Wardy not a good thing to say!! A Football career come to an end sorry Darren but we all get to old and slow, we slide down the chain.wish you all the best for the future we love Millwall too

• Pingback: Fake Oakleys