Millwall boss Jackett slams first-half performance

© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett slammed Millwall's first-half display in their 3-1 defeat to Middlesbrough as one of their worst of the season.

A 38-minute brace from Boro striker Marvin Emnes left the Lions facing a huge uphill task in what Jackett had described beforehand as a crucial game in the club's fight against relegation.

And despite an improved showing after the break, owing largely to the introduction of both Alan Dunne and Jimmy Abdou at half-time, the Millwall boss was left to rue a dismal opening 45 minutes.

He told the club's official website: "We looked stronger [when the substitutes came on]. We weren't as easy to bully or push around. But we didn't do that in the first half and that's down to me as the manager.

"Our first-half performance was poor. We didn't do enough and we were deservedly behind. The left side of our defence struggled physically – we didn't win a header and they looked like scoring at every set-piece. We didn't compete and looked second-best."

Jackett was particularly critical of his defence, who conceded three goals in a match for the fifth time this season.

"We gave away two very poor goals," he said. "Both Curtis Main and Emnes have skipped past us – we've sold ourselves. We have to be better than that defensively.

"We need a back four that can sustain us and keep us in games. While we're trying to play football, I thought tonight we overplayed and didn't compete physically. We didn't strike a balance between good football and physicality.

"There was some spirit in the second-half and a bit of a fightback, but we have to eradicate sloppy goals."

8 thoughts on “Millwall boss Jackett slams first-half performance

• February 21, 2012 at 23:07

Barron was awful tonight as was Keogh, Trotter, Lowry, Smith, Kane and Feeney. thats more than half the team. He has to go. Bring in McCarthy or Davies or Lee Clark

• February 21, 2012 at 23:25

Perhaps it is time for Kenny to take a bit of responsibility. The defending was poor but on the odd occasion we did have the ball in the first half we gave it away cheaply. In the second half we had the ball, we had the momentum but we didn't have a clue. I am not a KJ hater but I struggle to see what the game plan is. Although we only had one plan last year (try and get Morison in between the CBs and FBs) at least it was a plan, but this year I have no idea what it is. Hit it long to Hendo and hope for the best perhaps?

• February 22, 2012 at 08:39

Like HCH I am not a KJ hater although I have been quicker to call for his head than most. Where do I start? Well firstly lets play players in their correct position. Neither Kane nor Keogh strike me as midfielders or left wingers so there is no width and everything goes through Feeney. I can't remember the last time I saw him beat his full back. He needs a rest. I would give Hentry a go on the right and we only have Hameur or maybe N'Guessen. In CM you need a ball winner (Abdou) and a passer (either Wright or Trotter). We are also lacking leaders on the pitch, I know Dunne mucked up on Saturday but I would have him at RB and Craig at LB. Up front you have bought Keogh as a forward so use him as one alongside Henderson.

I have given up with anger at KJ and have drifted towards sympathy. He clearly does not know what to do to get us out of this mess and is desparate not to lose but could he at least show some passion on the touchline? Look at Owen Coyle, his team were 2-0 up and crusing and yet he was kicking every ball. KJ looks like a rabbit in the headlights and needs to be put out of his misery today. Can't see the board acting but I hope hate to see the good things he has done forgotten.

A couple of people said that last night was like the end of McGhee's reign and I tend to agree, also a couple of people suggested getting McCarthy back. Not sure, he has given me some great memories as a Millwall supporter but not sure you should go back, would prefer a Billy Davis, Lee Clark or O'Driscoll. Whoever, if we are to have any chance of staying up and avoiding the financial consequences of relegation the board must act today

• February 22, 2012 at 13:18

Does anybody actually believe that changing the manager will make any difference?
    Davies and Clark have failed when they have had big money to spend so what could they do with our tiny budget. As for McCarthy we have been there before.....
    Its time for the players to take a good look at themselves and realise they have to FIGHT to get us out of this mess.
    It could be worse, where would we be WITHOUT Hendersons goals this season?

• February 22, 2012 at 13:30

Paulk260 I believe that NOT changing the manager will lead to relegation, can you honestly see us getting to 50 points with the current team selections and tactics? I agree players have a responsiblity but so should the person who bought them to the club and picks them that's where the buck stops. As for other managers you missed out Sean O'Driscoll who did a pretty decent job at both Bournemouth and Doncaster with no money, he is currently a coach at Nottingham Forest but may well want to return to management

• February 22, 2012 at 14:49

arm119, Fair point on Sean O'Driscoll missed him out. I cannot see us getting to 40 points at the moment let alone 50, I just dont see that changing manager will make that much difference. If they do decide to have a change (I dont think they will) and a new man turns it around I will be the first to say I was wrong.
      Lets just hope we avoid the drop.

• February 22, 2012 at 14:19

I am all for the players showing fight and character - and in the second half last night they did, Abdou was everywhere but we still lost the half 1-nil. They had one real opportunity and took it, we opened them up once, maybe twice, from open play. It was a lot of effort and no end product.

They used the same corner to cause pandemonium in our defence 3 times scoring once. For the most part our set pieces are tame (if we conceded the goal we scored we would be getting on at the defenders) they had a plan and they executed it, we looked like a pub side by comparison in the first half.

Kenny has said it is one step forwards and one backwards this season - I think he needs to explain where we have improved, because the differences are too subtle for me.

• Pingback: free dating sites