Trotter wants Millwall to make the most of Christmas break

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

LIAM Trotter believes a seven-day break over Christmas will allow Millwall's players to stay match fit during the busy festive period.

The Lions' Boxing Day clash against Brighton has been brought forward to Tuesday night – meaning Trotter and his teammates will be recuperating whilst other teams are playing on December 26.

Kenny Jackett's side face Barnsley at The Den on Saturday but do not play again until the following weekend, when they travel to promotion-chasing Cardiff City.

And while Jackett has revealed his disappointment at the date of the Seagulls clash being changed, Trotter says Millwall's extra time off could give them an advantage over their Championship rivals.

"I think it will be a benefit for us," he said. "It's hectic around Christmas – while Boxing Day games are great for the fans, the schedule is a little bit ridiculous.

"We have to play five times in the space of eight or nine days. The quality of the games won't be as good because the lads will be tired.

"Having the game moved is a bonus for us because it gives a break until we play again. It breaks it up for us nicely and we'll be hoping to use that time to our advantage.

"I think we've got Christmas Day off at the moment , so hopefully if we play well on Tuesday it will stay that way!"

Brighton won the reverse fixture at The Den in September and are the first team Millwall face for the second time this season, but Trotter says a lot has changed since the two sides' first encounter.

"It was a tough game but I didn't think they were particularly the better team," he said. "They took both of their chances well. In the end it was a comfortably victory for them.

"We'll be going there full of confidence. We're in a much better league position than we were then. Our form and their form has changed around."

Trotter is also drawing inspiration from the Lions' 2-2 draw at the Amex Stadium last campaign. He added: "I think we produced one of our best performances of last season when we went there.

"We completely outplayed them and were very, very unfortunate not to get the three points. So we'll be looking to do that again."

10 thoughts on “Trotter wants Millwall to make the most of Christmas break

• December 18, 2012 at 08:08

Let's hope trotter can pick his game up he was dreadful on Saturday against Leicester

• December 18, 2012 at 11:12

Still got an Assist

• December 18, 2012 at 11:47

don't get me wrong Alex it was a good assist but he didn't do much else especially on the first half Jimmy Abdou was doing both there work in midfield it just seems that the build up to every transfer window rumours come out about him and he just doesn't play how we all know he can

• December 18, 2012 at 13:02

What is the obsession with jimmy?! He has great work rate but as far as anything else goes he offers very little. Can't pass or shoot which as a footballer especially a cm is pretty important. IMO jimmys workrate has even tailed off compared to previous seasons. The reason we won Saturday was because although being woeful first half trotter imposed himself on the game in second half.

• December 18, 2012 at 13:10

what obsession I'm just saying that he was having to do both cm work ok trotter picked up his game in the second half and yes it was a good assist trotter was awful I hate to say it as I really do rate the bloke but he just didn't turn up for 75 mins of a 90 min game

• December 18, 2012 at 13:30

I'd like trotter to get himself in the gym and get himself fitter. His massive and if he could cover more ground I honestly think he'd be in the prem playing for a top half team most likely f****** Everton. He's strong, good in air, great passer, can win the ball, dribble and scores goals too just needs to get about the pitch a bit more. Reminds me of vieira just without the energy. Hopefully he works on it but let's face it if he did he wouldn't be playing for us.

As for jimmy wasn't necessarily saying you're obsession. I mean Millwall fans in general, it doesn't matter that the bloke can't pass a ball 5 yards or shoot at all cos he runs around and works hard. I like he's effort but if we wanna improve and get promoted I think he's the player we need to improve. A mixture of his work rate and wrights ability on the ball and I think we'd be top six for sure, if we can stay clear of injuries that is.

• December 18, 2012 at 14:07

Obviously neither player is the finished article or the complete player because they'd already be playing in the premiership. My personal opinion is that in most games at this level they are good together. Trotter is strong and CAN dominate (needs to find consistency) and is undoubtably talented, Jimmy never gives the oppo a minutes peace and how many times in he back in our box making a last ditch tackle or interception? I actually think that Jimmy's distribution is getting better (loved his flick over the bloke's head on Saturday - amazing tekkers!). They are the best combination that we have in an area where I think we are still weak. Wright is ok when the opposition sit back (second half at palarse), but Jimmy and Trotts are best suited for the championship. I'd be a lot happier if Jimmy was in the team tonight. COYL

• December 18, 2012 at 14:12

think u hit the nail on the head there trotter just needs to work a lot harder off the ball I'd like to see recon get a go also can't wait for tam to get back

• December 18, 2012 at 14:38

That says all I need to know. Tam is a poor jimmy abdou. And he's a cb that was moved dm.

• December 18, 2012 at 14:53

really def don't agree worth that both lay a dif game but I fill Tam gives the back four that extra protection u talked about promotion and although I'd love it would rather cement ourselves in the top ten then push on but everyone to there own