Report: Millwall 1-0 Leicester City

CHRIS Taylor came off the bench to score his second goal of the season and move Millwall back into the play-off positions.

The Lions produced the perfect response to their 3-0 defeat at Ipswich Town last weekend by grinding out a hard-fought win over the Foxes in a game of few chances.

Taylor converted Liam Trotter's low cross to secure victory in the 68th minute – and consign the visitors to only their second loss in eight games.

Millwall's starting line-up showed two changes from the side that were beaten at Portman Road, with Dany N'Guessan and Scott Malone coming in for Andy Keogh and Taylor respectively.

Keogh has been playing with a broken toe in recent weeks but was deemed fit enough to take his place alongside Taylor on the bench.

The Lions found themselves on the back foot early on and nearly fell behind in the ninth minute when Jamie Vardy's flick played in Andy King, but the midfielder's goalbound-shot was blocked by Shane Lowry.

In the 18th minute, James Henry's cross was glanced wide by Chris Wood as Millwall created their first half-chance, which was soon followed by Henry's drive from the edge of the area which drifted a yard wide of the post.

Henry was proving to be Millwall's bright spark on a bitterly cold afternoon in South Bermondsey and it was from the winger's free-kick that N'Guessan headed over from six-yards out.

Kasper Schmiechel had been untroubled up until that point but in the 32nd minute, Lowry's deep cross was knocked down by Wood to Trotter, whose effort was parried by the Foxes keeper.

Henry then fired a free-kick well over before David Nugent saw his volley from a tight angle blocked by the knees of David Forde at the other end.

With the first-half drawing to a close, Beevers nodded wide from another Henry set-piece and N'Guessan's snap-shot was well-held by Schmeichel, but neither side could find the breakthrough.

Millwall, who brought on Taylor for Malone at the interval, came flying out of the traps at the start of second-half and had two quick-fire chances to take the lead in the 51st minute.

After N'Guessan's shot had been blocked by Paul Konchesky, the ball fell to Lowry on the edge of the area but his scissor-kick was deflected away from danger.

Lowry was in the thick of the action and moments later his deep cross narrowly evaded the outstretched boot of Wood at the far post, before Taylor's half-volley sailed harmlessly over.

Wood and Lowry combined to good effect again on the hour mark but the former could not covert the latter's driven cross and side-footed over from eight yards.

But Leicester's resistance was finally broken in the 68th minute when, after exchanging passes with substitute Keogh, Trotter's inch-perfect cut-back was tapped in by Taylor to make it 1-0.

The Foxes responded well to going behind but neither Danny Drinkwater nor Ben Marshall troubled Forde's goal with tame long-range efforts.

Marshall's 84th-minute free-kick proved to be more problematic for Forde, but the keeper managed to hold onto the ball at the second attempt with Nugent waiting to pounce.

And the one-time England international dragged a half-volley well wide in the final minute to ensure the Lions held onto claim the three points.

Millwall: Forde, A.Smith, Lowry, Abdou, Shittu, Beevers, Malone (C.Taylor, 46mins), Trotter, N'Guessan (Keogh, 65mins), Wood (Batt, 78mins), Henry. Subs not used: M.Taylor, J.Smith, Feeney, Wright.

Leicester City: Schmeichel, De Laet, Konchesky, Drinkwater, Morgan, Whitbread, Vardy, King (James, 70mins), Dyer (Futacs, 70mins), Knockaert (Marshall, 63mins), Nugent.



2 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 1-0 Leicester City

  • December 16, 2012 at 20:13

    Well done Chris Taylor---You needed that after being so close on a few occasions. Hope you can now go on to score a few more now. You deserve it for the effort you put in

    Like (0)
    Dislike (0)
  • Pingback: dating

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *