Millwall have contacted clubs over transfer targets

NEIL Harris confirmed that Millwall have contacted clubs over potential targets and are actively working on strengthening the squad before the current transfer window closes on August 31.

The Millwall boss was pleased with how his side bounced back from the defeat to Peterborough last week by beating Sheffield United 2-1 on Saturday (above), but he admitted the squad is still light.

Harris has said he is targeting a goalkeeper and midfielder, after David Forde’s loan switch to Portsmouth last month and with just three senior midfielders in the first-team squad.

With no emergency loan system Harris has 10 days to add to his squad before the next opportunity to do so in January.

But he emphasised that, despite the short time-frame, the same stringent recruitment strategy will be applied.

“I’ll be adding to the squad, we’ve spoken to clubs,” Harris said. “We need to bring some depth into the squad, some quality.

“But, as ever, it will be the right people, with the right references – as harsh as that sounds, or maybe as professional as it sounds.

“We need good people, good characters to come and join our great team spirit.

“So yes we’re working hard and the board is supportive. The recruitment department are tirelessly working to find out who is available and who we can get.”

John Kelly