Abdou hails Millwall's "character and spirit" after home win

JIMMY Abdou has praised his teammates “character and spirit” after securing a first home league win of the season.

The midfielder scored the last time the Lions won at home in April and scored the opening goal in the 3-1 win over Rochdale.

And Abdou said manager Harris has asked the midfield to get in more advanced positions to try and score more goals.

“First of all we got the win,” Abdou said. “That’s the main thing, but I'm very happy to get a goal.

“We tried to get forward as and when we could as a midfield.

“I scored and I'm happy. Shaun Williams scored a goal too, so that's good for the team.”

Abdou’s goal in the fourth minute saw the Lions leading for 39 minutes before Rochdale equalised.

The 31-year-old admitted it could have been a case of deja vu for Millwall before Williams restored the Lions’ lead two minutes later.

And the midfielder said getting forward more is something he is working on with the advice of boss Harris.

Abdou has, however, refused to set a goal target after his scoring heroics in Saturday’s victory.

“You could say it was going to be the same story,” Abdou said. “We did well to come back straight away.

“We responded well after that, we showed the character and the spirit we have. Hopefully, we can follow that and do well in the coming games.

“I don't score a lot of goals, but the gaffer asked me to run forward more.

"Hopefully, with that type of running, I can get more goals. I'm just happy to score today.

“I can use my legs, I know I can run so it isn't a problem and I can do it.

"Especially if I can get goals – he (Harris) asked me to get forward more and I’ll try my best.

“If you see my record maybe that’s it for the season if I'm honest with you! Hopefully I can get more goals, but I have no targets.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

26 thoughts on “Abdou hails Millwall's "character and spirit" after home win

• September 28, 2015 at 09:28

Jimmy I wish we had more players like you you,re top notch m8ty

• September 28, 2015 at 09:33

@MIGHTY: tons of energy Jimmy , have a word with Fred he hardly even moves on the pitch , Upson has to keep his place against Wigan .

• September 28, 2015 at 09:41

3 goals from 3 different goal scorers, that is very promising indeed. Too many teams rely on one striker to bag the goals, but if we can keep chipping in throughout the team we can negate the effects of injuries.

• September 28, 2015 at 10:17

Anyone see Jimmi give chase when rochdale broke away from a corner to us in the first half? Their man was away and would have had a clear run at goal until Jimmi's lung bursting chase and interception, no other player we have has that kind of energy and determination and that's why Jim's an integral part of the team.

• September 28, 2015 at 10:28

@Still_Wall: agree mate , if we had ten jimmys we'd win the league, Ten Fred's and we'd plummet into non league.

• September 28, 2015 at 13:20

@southstandview: can only assume the Dislikers haven't been to the Den this season, playing with Fred has been like playing with just Ten men .

• September 28, 2015 at 13:38

@southstandview: I disagree, Fred is a good player that is learning his trade...and by us being negative will only cause a player with potential to fail...we are great at doing that, we did it with Marquis, who went to Gillingham and was able to score very often, yet when he plays with us, we straight away become negative...players can feel the negativity and often react to it. Saturday we were as fans positive and boom we won...so instead of criticising a potential future great, let us constructively advise him...especially if they read the comments on the site.

• September 28, 2015 at 13:44

@vonhardshaft: he stood around doing nothing at all till he was taken off and that's not on .

• September 28, 2015 at 13:47

@vonhardshaft: no excuse whatsoever for being lazy , he should be dropped until he gets a decent work ethic .

• September 28, 2015 at 14:00

@southstandview: I know he stood around, but that maybe is an issue with fitness more than commitment and this is the sort of thing that should be picked up by the coaches and senior players. It happened also at Wycombe last season too...got off to a blinder and then faded...and it is repeating again. Maybe he needs to have extra work with the fitness coach? but I'm not paid to make these decisions. It could also be that lately teams are putting 2 or 3 players on him and he could be struggling with that.

• September 28, 2015 at 14:08

@vonhardshaft: then he should be dropped till he gets fit , and if he can't get fit at his age it don't bode well for his future.

• September 28, 2015 at 14:02

@southstandview: BTW thanks for the intellectual response instead of the usual, I'm right your wrong discussion...

• September 28, 2015 at 14:12

@vonhardshaft: I know , I surprise myself at times , COYL

• September 28, 2015 at 10:20

Well done JIM you've shut the moaners up not many posting over the weekend. Coyl

• September 28, 2015 at 11:59

@block 28: Peter it even shut my wife up which was a treat,normally when i say we lost i got a one word answer, "again" from her,this time she just smiled and put the kettle on. LOL

• September 28, 2015 at 10:21

One word to explain this man, LEGEND!

• September 28, 2015 at 10:36

Jimmy scored a good couple of goals in his first season with us in this league before playing a bit more advancing into the box (remember his goal against Leeds at Elland Road in the Play-Offs) again moving into the box and scoring the winner for us. Then I think KJ saw his energy and maybe saw Trotter as the better attacking midfielder out of the two so pushed Jimmy back a bit for cover. I think we are about to see the best of Abdou this season. So keep doing what you're doing fella and the goals will flow nicely!

• September 28, 2015 at 12:05

Well done Jimmy.
    You were my choice for captain as you lead by example.
    I would love to see you lead us out one day before you leave us.
    Looking forward to seeing you score more goals this season in your new advanced position.

• September 28, 2015 at 12:55

Well done Jimmy pleased to see you score ins winning team in the den

• September 28, 2015 at 13:29

Fred seems to be going through a bad patch after a bright start, all players have there bad times and need support and encouragement. Even Jimmy had a terrible time for a while. I am sure Fred and others will be back to their best sometime soon.

• September 28, 2015 at 15:11

Rotherham have sack their manager the fat c*** everyone played well Saturday let carry this on through the season I salute all the lads and the manager and the staff COYL

• September 28, 2015 at 15:44

So far this season players have dropped in ad out of form prime example being Fred who is currently not in great form so do we keep playing him and hope he regains his form from a few months ago or do we rest him and hope being benched reinvigorates his form. But as long as we always have a few players in from pulling the rest like obrien and archer are doing now then we should be alright this season. Also I'm not sure if Harris has a vice captain but it's got to be Jimmy he deserves it.

• September 28, 2015 at 15:59

Its be good if AOB or Jimmy Abdou to be captain on away game to Wigan.

Wall 2-0 Wigan

COYLIONS TO NEXT GAME AND CANT WAIT!!!

• September 28, 2015 at 19:02

Delighted with the win on Saturday. I still think their goal was offside in the build up. The officials were useless. Shock! We should have won by more. Goal difference is going to be important come the end of the season.

On a different note....

I think Lee Gregory should give that Fat Pie Eating Ginsters wrapper a call and wish him well managing the chip shop que. Rotherham will get what they deserve. Maybe now I can open up my cases of pink champagne and drink to Steve Evans managerial demise.

3 points away to Wigan tomorrow night and that would really make this a good week.

They say things come in three's.