Boss Harris wants Millwall side to have more "cutting edge"

© Charlie Compitus
© Charlie Compitus

NEIL Harris is hoping his Millwall side will display more "cutting edge" against Rochdale on Saturday.

The Lions are still in search of a win in front of their own fans after losing all four home league games this so far this season, the latest being a 2-0 reverse against Southend.

And Harris believes his assessment after the Shrimpers defeat was justified and will be looking for a response from his team on Saturday afternoon.

“I think in terms of the final third we definitely didn’t have the zip in our front play that had been so impressive previously,” Harris said.

“We’re going to work on it, but in terms of personnel it was probably a game too far for some of the players.

“Sometimes you say things immediately after a game and when you reflect back later and say, ‘Well, actually, I was wrong’.

“Having reflected back on the game, I think my conclusion straight afterwards was right.”

Harris added: “We definitely lacked a cutting edge and a sharpness that we’d had in previous fixtures and we got punished, not for two errors, but slight misjudgement in marking or positional play and the ball has ended up in our goal twice.

“It’s either real bad luck or bad defending. I’d say it’s a combination of both in terms of the recent standards we’ve been setting.

“It had been a long, tough week for us (after Crewe and Port Vale away).

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

28 thoughts on “Boss Harris wants Millwall side to have more "cutting edge"

• September 24, 2015 at 09:11

Be good to see Joe Martin given a shot at the LB position and Ferguson played in front of him at LW/LM so we can add some pace and creativity to the left flank and balance the team out with Edwards and Fred on the right. The pitch is long enough now to play this sort of attacking football to our advantage

• September 24, 2015 at 09:30

There's a young man called Alfie Pavey who's banging the goals in for the under 21s, surely he has too be given a go ?

• September 24, 2015 at 09:45

Pavey on the bench ,Marquis or Gregory up in the stands.

• September 24, 2015 at 09:46

Pavey on the bench ,Marquis up in the stands .

• September 24, 2015 at 14:07

@southstandview: so going by the dislikes that means more fans want marquis in the team than Pavey , be careful what you wish for .

• September 24, 2015 at 09:46

Pavey on the bench , Marquis up in the stands .

• September 24, 2015 at 09:48

We have lacked a cutting edge and sharpness up front for a number of years - that is the main reason re are where we are - and still floundering.
    A game too far for some of the players - what a load of tosh.
    We aren't good enough - ESPECIALLY up front - and its time that the "win double" management team acknowledged it and strengthened - I am not sure they even know their best line up

• September 24, 2015 at 09:53

Would go for.

Archer
    Edwards Nelson Beevers Martin
    Onyedinma Williams Abdou Ferguson
    Pavey O'brien

Subs
    Forde, Webster if fit, Upson, Thompson, Powell, Gregory, Morison

• September 24, 2015 at 10:38

We lacked cutting edge against SEU we scored 3 against Port vale. mmmmm.
    We got muscled out of the SEU that was what happened.

• September 24, 2015 at 11:00

Certain players gave up after 1/2 hour. Williams. Upson ain't got the minerals to play in front of the home crowd. Fred ain't been at his best for about 3 games & Craig is a waste of space.

• September 24, 2015 at 12:31

@block 28: couldn't agree more..fred should have been rested for the port vale game not just against that essex mob...as for the two weak sods who are suppose to run our midfield they can both jog on.kin useless the pair of em..

• September 24, 2015 at 11:00

Fred looked dead on his feet to be honest and should have got pulled at half time, now sicknote is injured again fred will have to be put in the frontline again but needs a break

• September 24, 2015 at 13:17

ok let's say the reason we lost to SEU was, we lacked cutting edge, well of course we did! that's obvious cos we didn't score or look like we would score more than once or twice. What one has to ascertain is the reason we lacked cutting edge or failed to score what ever way you want to say it. Cutting edge technology cutting edge design cutting edge football cutting edge it's just a cliche.

• September 24, 2015 at 13:28

Mr H sign these boys up until the end of the season

• September 24, 2015 at 14:25

I would say only two things change to 4-3-3 formation and replace Tony Craig for Joe Martin add Pavey to Subs bench enough said.

add Powell,Thompson, Lee Martin,Cummimgs,Morison and Webster let all the rest start home run of home form positive than feel inside Negative.

• September 24, 2015 at 15:07

how old do you need to be to make your debut or mark in the first team just look whats going out there our average age is above most other teams in div 1....our team against Northampton should be mainly younsters... if they perform well keep them for the league game

• September 24, 2015 at 16:07

apparently we have 2 different measures of age first the one that we are familiar with, the number of years we have inhabited this earth for or the number of years that have passed by since we were born but recently scientists or some other body of intellectuals say we have a biological age as well and after undertaking some sort of medical overall they can then ask you " what would you like to hear first, the good news or the bad news? ;)

• September 24, 2015 at 16:09

CAM TWERDAK
    LW FERGUSON
    ST PAVEY
    ST AOB

• September 24, 2015 at 19:35

@I fear no foe:
      It is too early to partner O’Brien & Pavey together as if things do not quite work out it could destroy their confidence. We need to wait until AOB has had time to settle into his role & become the senior striker.

• September 24, 2015 at 17:26

Don't care who plays just win at home.

• September 24, 2015 at 18:23

Start of season people on hear were saying Fred would be our saviour now he needs rest and is burnt out after 6 games we just can't rely on a team of youngsters needs to be a balance new faces needed quickly

• September 24, 2015 at 19:31

@kell: 100 million % agree wiv u youngest dont win u trophy or matches COYL sort it out

• September 24, 2015 at 19:33

Unfortunately I think that so far during the home games Neil has come up against 4 Managers with more experience than him. Who have been able to out fox & out think him. Hopefully things will turn around at some point, but not this Saturday.
      In line with most people I think that the signing of Tony Craig was not the best of moves as he is not the best centre back we have & is not the quickest at left back, but as he is the captain & a cohort of Neil’s it is doubtful he will be dropped.

• September 24, 2015 at 19:37

@kell:
      It ain't a team of youngsters mate, in fact it's anything but. Out of last weeks starting line up I would only class Fred as a youngster. Personally I'd like to see Joe Martin given a chance with ferguson left wing in front of him to give the side some balance.

• September 24, 2015 at 19:49

I agree with you, with regard to Fred being the only youngster. The others should be experienced enough to cope with some of the moves by the opposition, but on many occasions a goal has resulted by the defence not being aware of what the opposition are doing.

• September 24, 2015 at 20:36

Team for saturday...
    1. Archer
    2. Carlos Edwards (natch)
    3. Sid Nelson
    4. Mark Beevers
    5. Larry the left back
    6. Micky the midfield dynamo (how many goals has he scored from midfield? he wears white boots - thats how many)
    7. Mark the spark
    8. Jimmy Abdou (of course, of course)
    9. Fuk it, Teddy Sheringham
    10. Fred Onyedinma of the future
    11. The big fella, Hofferwaffer whatever his name was. Just kidding - go on Gregory - get your boots on son - I enjoy you like a rubix cube - i know it could all come together even if ultimately I know that I'm never gonna figure it out - but its comforting that I at least know that not being able to solve that puzzle probably means I've not got some rain man aspergers thing - I'm just a bit thick. And thats why you're in the side son, because I dont have Aspergers - and thats good enough for me. Goals-per-game ratios are for mugs. Messi dont worry about it - and neither should you. Just get out there and do whatever is you do. I'm not sure quite what that is - but keep doing it. I like it. And dont worry about me... I can earn that 28 quid back that I spent on my ticket. I dont need the heating on anyway - when you got 3 pairs of socks on you are toastie warm, let me tell ya. I feel like I owe you money, if anything. Every week I'm dazzled - how did that not go in - I have no idea (if not a slight inkling that maybe you scuffed your shot when all that was needed was to put your laces through it.. maybe thats why. To be fair, you probably cant hear my encouraging screans of "hit it!" amongst the other 10,000 fans (also screaming "hit it!"). So thats on me. My bad.

Oh - I may have had to imagine a few players to plug some holes in my starting eleven. I should make that clear. We haven't actually signed Larry the leftback. But it'd be amazing if we did - he does all the goals...rolling sub... penos.. but wont go in goal unless somebody else has brought goalie gloves he can wear.
    On the bench I'd have any of the lads from South Upper.. cos no matter what the score, thats gonna be a fun day out.

Results prediction -I'll leave that to Ollie.. eleventy-four all.

In all seriousness - I do like Gregory. He battles. And our team is plenty good enough. We dominated Southend - it was just one of those days. The good times are coming. Rochdale are getting put to the sword saturday. 3 NIL. WALLOP!

• September 24, 2015 at 21:38

we are pretty average and will be until we get better players - like man city etc do - Boring tactics and prospects I am afraid - why avoid telling the truth

• September 24, 2015 at 22:15

No more excuses, please. Just give us a decent performance and three points.