Millwall's Beevers: We'll have clearer picture after ten games

MILLWALL defender Mark Beevers is hoping his side can continue their good recent form against Southend on Saturday.

The Lions are three games unbeaten having won their last two on the road, but are still looking for a first league win at The Den this season.

Beevers, 25, scored his first goal of the campaign at Port Vale on Tuesday after he had made a challenge and won the ball on the edge of his own area.

Millwall then broke to force the corner from which he put his side ahead when he headed in Shaun Williams' cross, with his boss Neil Harris feeling the tackle was the key to the goal.

“I didn't realise that until the manager said it in the dressing room.” Beevers said.

“I disagree – I think the best thing about the goal was that I put the ball in the net.

“It’s nice to get off the mark. Shaun told me about it as soon as I got into the dressing room.

“It was a great ball in by Shauny and I just managed to get in front of the defender and nod the ball home.

“I hit the target from the chance so I'm thrilled to get off the mark but the most important part was the three points and a vital clean sheet.

“It's always nice to score, ask any of the players, it’s one of the best things of the game.

“As a defender, though, it’s nice to get a clean sheet. It isn't just the back four and the keeper but it’s all of the team. We had a great game against Port Vale and we thoroughly deserved the three points.”

The last time Millwall went four games without defeat was in October 2014 but Beevers, 25, is refusing to get carried away with the recent good run of form.

“We’ve stopped the rot of losing games at home so hopefully at the weekend we can get a positive result,” he said

“It’s too early to look at the league table. There has only been seven games played. Once ten games have gone, you can start looking at it and it tells a better story.

“We’re 12th now. I looked at the table before the game and if we won we would be one point outside the play-offs, and now we are, that’s how tight the division is.

“We’ve given ourselves a good base to work from and hopefully we can take it into Saturday.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

28 thoughts on “Millwall's Beevers: We'll have clearer picture after ten games

• September 18, 2015 at 11:24

I'll tell you after Saturday. I'm hoping as many as we can possibly get at the den Saturday. If you can go then go we need supporters bums on seats . Let the lions turn up in force. Roll on Saturday let the rebuilt begin coyl we need u all

• September 18, 2015 at 11:57

@dave666:

Agreed mate. As long as the mouthy t.w.a.t.s who knock the players confidence after 3mins stay at home. It's a real issue at the den and we need to turn that around in the stands to help the lads on the pitch....not to say we can't give the away lads absolute hell though coyl....

• September 18, 2015 at 13:16

@lionindirtyyorkyland: I'm confident our team is ready to play win and celebrate with us. I haven't been this confident. Since jacket. I'm going loud proud and ready to make as much noise as possible good help the fans who sit near me coyl

• September 19, 2015 at 05:50

@dave666: nad is a snapshot of how up and down us battered fans are feeling. 10 days ago it was all doom and gloom, with sack nh, get rid of the board, were going down etc etc. now its get behind the lads . roar em on, we'll win 5-0. I'm one of the die hards , always go, thick and thin. millwall t and t. all I'm hoping is we get a win today, fed up with our home form, 3 seasons of dross. personally the clash tune london calling played before the teams walk out could be changed to should i stay or should i go !! but ever the optimist lets just win 1-0 and turn our home form round.

• September 18, 2015 at 14:34

Cheerers, we must cheer louder than the boo boys boo, then all will be well, Sorted. 🙂

• September 19, 2015 at 13:30

@john H: Cheerios 5 Boo boys 5 😉

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.